[Uncertainty] NFL 2020 Off Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: NFL 2020 Off Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Myles Garrett reinstated.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least he kept his head.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 pm I would imagine if Brady is leaving, the Chargers have to be one of his top choices. They have so many weapons that it’s likely his best chance to win now.
If I'm Brady I stay away from the Chargers. Brady isn't a mobile qb and the Chargers offensive line isn't good. In fact it's terrible. If I'm the Chargers I want Brady hoping that he's enough of a draw to get people in the seats.
Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 pm Rivers is officially out of the Chargers.
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
End of an era: Los Angeles Chargers and QB Philip Rivers have mutually agreed that Rivers will enter free agency and not return to the team for the 2020 season.
I hope he ends up with a playoff contender team. He deserves a shot at a superbowl with a team that knows how to win and owners who understand their fans and players. Honestly, it sucks that his last year (3 really) as a Charger was in a city that didn't want the team. Its better for him to move on and hopefully land in a better place.
He sucked last year. He threw 20 interceptions and missed open receivers. I don't think a team who is serious about going to the SB will start him.
Many people are saying that the Bucs, Colts, and Titans are a good fit. The Colts, in particular have coaches who have worked with Rivers previously. All of them have the potential to make the playoffs. Rivers would be an improvement for all of them as well.

I would also argue with your assessment that Rivers sucked. The Chargers sucked. The offensive line was terrible. Rivers certainly wasn't great but he performed well when given time to throw and showed he can still make accurate throws downfield.
The chargers offensive line graded out to 29th out of 32 teams. It was rare for Rivers to have anywhere close to 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. The chargers ranking is also improved by their rushing ranking. This line was projected to be 22nd and that was before Okung was out most of the season with various injuries.
Gordon missed 25% of the season and then wasn't used much once he came back.
Hunter Henry missed several games.

Most of this isn't new for Rivers. The offensive line hasn't been graded in the top half since George Bush was president. Allen was in and out of the lineup with injuries his first several years in the league. Gates was injured a lot his last few years. Henry has been plagued with injuries.
Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm So Imlawboy, Rivers an upgrade for the Bears?
Yes. It's an upgrade.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm So Imlawboy, Rivers an upgrade for the Bears?
I honestly didn't pay enough attention to Rivers to give a well informed take, but since we're discussing sports, I don't think my take needs to be that well informed. :P

I think he's probably a minor upgrade on Trubisky at this point in Rivers' career, but probably not enough of an upgrade to turn this team around and make the playoffs. Unless the Bears can swing a trade for a young QB with potential (let's see, that would probably take some draft picks and . . . oh, crap), I'd think I'd rather actually see the Bears stick with Trubisky for 2020 and see if lightening strikes and he suddenly gets it. I don't think it's terribly likely, but maybe the Bears will actually have some draft picks next year.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually like the idea of Brady to the Chargers, at least he can't beat them in the unlikely event they make the playoffs. That will give Justin Herbert a year to mature, and they can focus any other draft picks on the O line.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:00 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 pm I would imagine if Brady is leaving, the Chargers have to be one of his top choices. They have so many weapons that it’s likely his best chance to win now.
If I'm Brady I stay away from the Chargers. Brady isn't a mobile qb and the Chargers offensive line isn't good. In fact it's terrible. If I'm the Chargers I want Brady hoping that he's enough of a draw to get people in the seats.
Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 pm Rivers is officially out of the Chargers.
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
End of an era: Los Angeles Chargers and QB Philip Rivers have mutually agreed that Rivers will enter free agency and not return to the team for the 2020 season.
I hope he ends up with a playoff contender team. He deserves a shot at a superbowl with a team that knows how to win and owners who understand their fans and players. Honestly, it sucks that his last year (3 really) as a Charger was in a city that didn't want the team. Its better for him to move on and hopefully land in a better place.
He sucked last year. He threw 20 interceptions and missed open receivers. I don't think a team who is serious about going to the SB will start him.
Many people are saying that the Bucs, Colts, and Titans are a good fit. The Colts, in particular have coaches who have worked with Rivers previously. All of them have the potential to make the playoffs. Rivers would be an improvement for all of them as well.

I would also argue with your assessment that Rivers sucked. The Chargers sucked. The offensive line was terrible. Rivers certainly wasn't great but he performed well when given time to throw and showed he can still make accurate throws downfield.
The chargers offensive line graded out to 29th out of 32 teams. It was rare for Rivers to have anywhere close to 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. The chargers ranking is also improved by their rushing ranking. This line was projected to be 22nd and that was before Okung was out most of the season with various injuries.
Gordon missed 25% of the season and then wasn't used much once he came back.
Hunter Henry missed several games.

Most of this isn't new for Rivers. The offensive line hasn't been graded in the top half since George Bush was president. Allen was in and out of the lineup with injuries his first several years in the league. Gates was injured a lot his last few years. Henry has been plagued with injuries.
Yes. It's an upgrade.
Rivers has thrown 20 INT's only one other time in his career. His OL hasn't changed much as you say. Last year he threw 12, and the year before he threw 10. He's had the same coach in all three years. Plus many QB's don't throw the ball if they think there's a good chance of an INT. If he thinks he doesn't have enough time, he should eat the ball in many if not most situations. So I stand by saying he sucked last year.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Andy Dalton might be available as well:
The Bengals informed their longtime quarterback that they’re willing to work with him in order to facilitate a trade,
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:33 pm Andy Dalton might be available as well:
The Bengals informed their longtime quarterback that they’re willing to work with him in order to facilitate a trade,
The Bears will offer their 8th round draft pick.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:17 pm Image
I don't see what Darlington's gardening has to do with anything, but the rest is interesting.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm I don't see what Darlington's gardening has to do with anything, but the rest is interesting.
Between Brady and the Combine for QBs (and QBs not in the combine), local radio simply can't stop talking about Trubisky. Partly because when you are the home of the Lions you need something to laugh at but I also think partly because when you are the home of the Lions, you have faith that with the 3rd pick a QB freeforall draft and free agency, you are going to make the worst of all possible choices and end up with no QB at the end of the season but with a record still nowhere in the ballpark of drafting Lawrence next year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 pm I'd think I'd rather actually see the Bears stick with Trubisky for 2020 and see if lightening strikes and he suddenly gets it. I don't think it's terribly likely, but maybe the Bears will actually have some draft picks next year.
Keep thinking that. Can Pace survive another season with a sub-par offense? I think not. You know what that means? 2021, 22, 23 draft picks will be mortgaged for any non-sucky offensive lineman that might be available. I'd also expect them to pick up another high contract, low output wide receiver that's past his glory days, cast off by the team that made him a star.

They need a CB now too.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS Sports
Former NFL offensive tackle Greg Robinson and wide receiver Quan Bray, who last played with the Indianapolis Colts, were arrested at the Sierra Blanca border checkpoint near the United States and Mexico border this week, according to an official statement from the Department of Justice in the Western District of Texas. The statement, provided by ESPN's Adam Schefter, alleges that Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, and Bray, a former undrafted free agent, were in possession of 157 pounds of marijuana which was stored inside several large duffel bags in the rear cargo area of a vehicle they were driving.
The 27-year-old Robinson is set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason after spending the past two seasons with the Cleveland Browns. According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, the Browns had no intention of re-signing Robinson, so his next step in the NFL is a bit uncertain.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This would be interesting.
Thinking large and outside the box, ESPN plans to attempt to acquire Al Michaels from NBC Sports for “Monday Night Football,” The Post has learned.

ESPN would like to team Michaels with Peyton Manning in its dream booth, according to sources. Manning is now ESPN’s top choice as analyst after Tony Romo agreed to his 10-year, $180 million deal to remain with CBS last week.

ESPN has also shown interest in free-agent quarterback Philip Rivers, according to sources. Rivers, 38, has said he intends to continue playing. NFL free agency officially begins March 18, but agents can start talking to teams on March 16.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Chargers are beefing up their O-Line in order to lure Brady into town. I still think they should take a QB at the 6 spot in the draft. After all Brady is 43. 43!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:49 pm The Chargers are beefing up their O-Line in order to lure Brady into town. I still think they should take a QB at the 6 spot in the draft. After all Brady is 43. 43!
Not yet, he's not!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:49 pm The Chargers are beefing up their O-Line in order to lure Brady into town. I still think they should take a QB at the 6 spot in the draft. After all Brady is 43. 43!
Assuming Quinn refuses to take Tua at 3, you really should trade up. We'll take your 6, 37, and 71 (and still screw them up, or somehow trade them to Pats.) We gotta do something. When we don't take a QB and Stafford get hurt again but we win too much for top pick next year (say five wins)

Really who do you expect to get if you don't get Burroughs or Tua? You want it. You know you do.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sure I want Tua, but not willing to give up draft picks. Would be perfectly happy with Jordan Love or even Justin Herbert if there is a run on QB's, and Tua is damaged goods. Either guy could use a year watching Brady.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

6.0415263e+52? That’s ancient.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:11 am
6.0415263e+52? That’s ancient.
Plus an extra day to account for leap-seconds.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is not the news I was looking for.
Hollywood Reporter wrote:Where Is Tom Brady Going Next? Hollywood, To Launch 199 Productions With Help From ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Directors Joe & Anthony Russo

The big question in sports right now remains whether six-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady finishes his career with the New England Patriots or signs as free agent elsewhere. Deadline has learned that Hollywood will be part of the long term plan for the record setting quarterback, with the help of the directors of the all time biggest grossing film. Brady is launching 199 Productions, a global multi-platform content company to develop original premium content including documentaries, feature films and television shows. The company has quietly assembled a slate of development projects that include several with Brady on camera, in stories spanning sports, entertainment and health and wellness among others. (more at the link)
stessier

Post by stessier »

2011 CBA compared to 2020 CBA (compiled by NFLPA)

Edit: There is some really interesting stuff in there. If I read it right, the players didn't have vision insurance under the 2011 CBA.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The megalomaniac strikes again. DeAndre Hopkins and a 2021 4th to the Cardinals for David Johnson, a 2020 second, and a 2021 4th.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:21 pm The megalomaniac strikes again. DeAndre Hopkins and a 2021 4th to the Cardinals for David Johnson, a 2020 second, and a 2021 4th.
Is there any rationale at all for this? I just don't get it.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:21 pm The megalomaniac strikes again. DeAndre Hopkins and a 2021 4th to the Cardinals for David Johnson, a 2020 second, and a 2021 4th.
Is there any rationale at all for this? I just don't get it.
Hopkins didn't kiss O'Brien's ass. see: Clowney, Jadeveon.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So they are going to 17 and expanding playoff teams by 2.

Kind of surprised they accepted reducing the preseason to three...I'd have thought they'd have wanted to go down to 2.
Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

San Fran's DT Buckner to the Colts for their first round pick.

Ravens swiped Calais Campbell from the Jaguars for a fifth round pick.

Brady's choices are reported to be down to the Bucs and Pats.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Hopkins trade makes no sense, especially considering that David Johnson has been a shadow of his rookie self. That could be due to injuries, but at the very least he’s shown himself as injury-prone. If O’Brien really wanted Hopkins gone, I have to imagine that Houston could’ve gotten a better deal elsewhere.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:47 pm San Fran's DT Buckner to the Colts for their first round pick.
So Stupid
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This is exactly how I feel. Seth Payne played 10 years in the NFL mostly as a starter and attended Cornell. He's been doing media in Houston for a number of years.
Black Lives Matter

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Nothing says Texans like giving the fans a kick in the gut when they're down. I don't mind O'Brian the coach, but the GM sucks. Why would the owner sign off on this?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm The Hopkins trade makes no sense, especially considering that David Johnson has been a shadow of his rookie self. That could be due to injuries, but at the very least he’s shown himself as injury-prone. If O’Brien really wanted Hopkins gone, I have to imagine that Houston could’ve gotten a better deal elsewhere.
Maybe Johnson gets the new-team one-season bump where he looks good and cons everyone into drafting him high in FF the following year? But I just don't trust he'll remain healthy. He won the FF championship for me when he was healthy, has doomed the team that drafted him since.

The Texans seemed on the cusp of....something. They needed to replace some injury-prone parts is all. They should have bought shiny new instead of raiding the junk yard for used parts.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:27 pm

This is exactly how I feel. Seth Payne played 10 years in the NFL mostly as a starter and attended Cornell. He's been doing media in Houston for a number of years.
This is how I feel about the Mookie Betts trade.
Black Lives Matter.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Brady leaves New England... for Tampa Bay!

Minn WR Diggs got traded to Buffalo last night.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sigh.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Mike Evans and Chris Godwin are far, far better than anyone Brady had to throw to last year.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dogstar wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 am Brady leaves New England... for Tampa Bay!
Unless you have info, the destination is unknown. He only posted he is leaving.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dogstar wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 am Brady leaves New England... for Tampa Bay!

Minn WR Diggs got traded to Buffalo last night.
Is he going to Tampa? Looks like his announcement is just that he's not coming back to New England. I know that it's been previously reported that options are down to NE or Tampa, so it would make sense that he would be going to Tampa, but there's no indication that he's signed there or anything, is there?

Also weird for him to do it that way, since that would seem to give Tampa a ton of leverage. Wonder if he's also considering leaving the NFL?
Black Lives Matter.