R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm Im afraid to come in here now afraid Ill see Tom Hanks.
Does he have a pre-existing condition? Corona virus isn't known for knocking off otherwise healthy people.
Diabetes type 2
Actor Tom Hanks, who revealed that he was living with Type 2 diabetes in 2013, confirmed Wednesday that he and his wife tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. People with diabetes are among those at increased risk for complications from COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm Im afraid to come in here now afraid Ill see Tom Hanks.
Does he have a pre-existing condition? Corona virus isn't known for knocking off otherwise healthy people.
Diabetes type 2
Actor Tom Hanks, who revealed that he was living with Type 2 diabetes in 2013, confirmed Wednesday that he and his wife tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. People with diabetes are among those at increased risk for complications from COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
Well, I guess I'm doomed then. If I stop posting, assume Corona got me or Tom Hanks came for my pancreas.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

used to be really into Genesis P Orridge's works, but i had been hearing a lot that they had been claiming a lot of other musician's work in PTV and other associated projects as their own. not cool.

and Peter Christopherson is (long) dead as well. at least Chris Carter and Cosey F. T. are still around.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Another Apollo astronaut, Al Worden, bites the regolith.
Apollo 15 was considered one of NASA's most important scientific missions. But after the crew returned, they got in trouble for selling mementos they took to the moon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP. One of those amazing few people Ive always admired as part of NASA. As to the sold mementos thing who cares. I dont blame them in the slightest. Hope they made good money on them.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

As far as I know, it was illegal because anything that came from the moon was considered NASA's property and not theirs to do with as they wished.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm As far as I know, it was illegal because anything that came from the moon was considered NASA's property and not theirs to do with as they wished.
It wasn't stuff taken from the moon.

Wiki
The Apollo 15 postal covers incident, a 1972 NASA scandal, involved the astronauts of Apollo 15, who carried about 400 unauthorized postal covers into space and to the Moon's surface on the Lunar Module Falcon. Some of the envelopes were sold at high prices by West German stamp dealer Hermann Sieger, and are known as "Sieger covers". The crew of Apollo 15, David Scott, Alfred Worden and James Irwin, agreed to take payments for carrying the covers; though they returned the money, they were reprimanded by NASA. Amid much press coverage of the incident, the astronauts were called before a closed session of a Senate committee and never flew in space again.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:04 pm As far as I know, it was illegal because anything that came from the moon was considered NASA's property and not theirs to do with as they wished.
they brought things from earth - so they could later then say 'this went to the moon'.

While the mission had weight constraints (so as an engineer, I shudder at the idea of hidden mass) - I don't fault them for risking their lives and getting a little something in return, so I've never thought too poorly of them.

edit: what Iggy said better.....
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BAM!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:07 pm
It wasn't stuff taken from the moon.

Wiki
The Apollo 15 postal covers incident, a 1972 NASA scandal, involved the astronauts of Apollo 15, who carried about 400 unauthorized postal covers into space and to the Moon's surface on the Lunar Module Falcon. Some of the envelopes were sold at high prices by West German stamp dealer Hermann Sieger, and are known as "Sieger covers". The crew of Apollo 15, David Scott, Alfred Worden and James Irwin, agreed to take payments for carrying the covers; though they returned the money, they were reprimanded by NASA. Amid much press coverage of the incident, the astronauts were called before a closed session of a Senate committee and never flew in space again.

Oh, that! I hadn't heard of that one, actually. I've only heard of another astronaut who got into trouble for trying to sell moondust or something and NASA was trying to get it back.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kenny Rogers has died at 81 of natural causes while in hospice.

The man is a legend. Heard him my entire life. RIP man. Saw him once in our local Waffle House.
Vocalist Kenny Rogers, who dominated the pop and country charts in the 1970s and 1980s with a string of sleekly tailored hits and won three Grammys, has died. He was 81. Rogers “passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family,” a representative for the singer said in a statement. Due to the national COVID-19 emergency, the family is planning a small private service at this time with a public memorial planned for a later date.

Rogers had announced a farewell tour in 2015 and was able to keep it going through December 2017. In April 2018, shortly before he was to spend a few months finishing out the tour after a break, he announced that he was having to call off the remaining dates (including a planned appearance at the Stagecoach Festival in California), due to unspecified “health challenges.” “I didn’t want to take forever to retire,” Rogers said his April 2018 statement. “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this opportunity to say farewell to the fans over the course of the past two years on ‘The Gambler’s Last Deal’ tour. I could never properly thank them for the encouragement and support they’ve given me throughout my career and the happiness I’ve experienced as a result of that.”
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That's a bummer.

My Grade 6 teacher looked EXACTLY like Kenny Rogers.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I guess it was his time to fold 'em.

Sad in a way as I like country from the 80's/90's as my favorite music, obviously, he's a significant part of that. But I tend not to feel too sad for anyone who's made it past 75. Figure they've had a chance to live a full (hopefully good) life. His seemed to be a good life.

It's the ones who die young, especially for things beyond their control that make me the most sad.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My mom was a HUGE Kenny Rogers fan. I grew up listening to him constantly, and as a kid he was probably the only country artist I ever really knew.

My grandmother was also a huge fan and thought he was a handsome devil. She had an 8x10 of him that she'd playfully kiss when she walked by. The story goes that one day my little brother (who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time) was in the grocery store with her and there was a magazine with Kenny Rogers on the front. Upon seeing it, he loudly shouted, "Hey grandma, there's that man you kiss all the time!!!" :oops: She used to tell that story all the time and laugh her head off.

So yeah, I know he got a little weird in his later days with the plastic surgery and all, but I have nothing but good memories of ol' Kenny.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Is there a reason big celebrities are no longer getting their own thread? I like this thread well enough for less well-known folk, but I don't think we should lump deaths like Kenny's in here.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Given the state of the world, I’m more reminded of the lyrics:

“Know when to walk away... know when to run.”

RIP
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am Is there a reason big celebrities are no longer getting their own thread? I like this thread well enough for less well-known folk, but I don't think we should lump deaths like Kenny's in here.
Honestly. In some way this tread ‘for lessers’ is what bothers me.

I think we can afford a new thread for any human life, if it’s worth mentioning here.

IMO.

I’ve often thought it was really weird that a ‘mass grave’ thread was ever made.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 am
McNutt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am Is there a reason big celebrities are no longer getting their own thread? I like this thread well enough for less well-known folk, but I don't think we should lump deaths like Kenny's in here.
Honestly. In some way this tread ‘for lessers’ is what bothers me.

I think we can afford a new thread for any human life, if it’s worth mentioning here.

IMO.

I’ve often thought it was really weird that a ‘mass grave’ thread was ever made.
I hesitated to post Worden's death here; the handful of Apollo astronauts were global superstars once. But I knew he'd only get half a dozen comments at best, and in a way that's sadder than disappearing into the mass grave thread.

Kenny Rogers was one of those singers my parents liked, so I never paid him any attention. "The Gambler" is a classic, though.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I know what you mean about sadder to get no replies, but I still think this thread comes across that way.

Frankly, I even appreciate the new threads on ‘lesser celebrity’ deaths, even if I don’t post - it gives me more awareness and respect for the person that -you- knew and will miss, than if one decided their obscure idol should be buried here.

Serious about this

Even the title is a bit of a turn off to me in its ambition to own all death posts.

Like who is going to post about a -seriously meaningful- death in this thread?
No one. This is the 2nd class thread.

And yet wait. All deaths are serious and meaningful.

This thread plays with that too casually in my opinion.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Was a Kenny Rogers fan way back when. His songs don't require octave jumps to sing. In a way, he's a bit like Sinatra. Easy to say and sing lyrics and all that.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even...

And I'm all in favor of individual threads. It isn't like it was ten years ago where we had threads getting bumped onto page two after an hour. We have plenty of room.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I started this thread because I was posting 2 or so new RIP threads or more a week it seemed and I know how you guys have ripped on me for starting a new thread for everything. Plus we had been consolidating other threads like pics and videos and music and all kinds.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't a terrible idea. But once it got going it started to feel... off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well we can close it up if you all want and go back to single posts. I liked them too. Up to you guys. Im not invested in a consolidated thread one way or another.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:19 am Well I started this thread because I was posting 2 or so new RIP threads or more a week it seemed and I know how you guys have ripped on me for starting a new thread for everything. Plus we had been consolidating other threads like pics and videos and music and all kinds.
I feel this subject deserves more respect.

Seriously.

And yeah. Maybe there isn’t a need to share the news of every single death you hear about.

If one can’t defend the making of a new post for a person that died, I’d argue we could all be spared the casual death knell.

You don’t need to give a shit about my opinion on this Daehawk.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:21 am You didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't a terrible idea. But once it got going it started to feel... off.
Honestly. I agree. I don’t think you had bad intentions. (Ever, btw, I think you are genuinely a good person for the most part)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:19 am Well I started this thread because I was posting 2 or so new RIP threads or more a week it seemed
Use discretion?

I mean. You’ve watch a lot of TV and people are getting older and dying.
Am I going to have to hear about each and every ‘the guy that played Alice’s son died? ‘ when it happens.

It just seems really cheap and massively self centered to post “about that man” when I (properly) never gave him another thought until the Death Knell
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Post where you think appropriate. With what’s going on now I really don’t mind a catch all thread.

In my childhood, the Gambler was our Friday house cleaning music. I remember mom signing along. RIP and thanks for the memories.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Would it be better if the thread were renamed Celebrity Mass Grave?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:53 pm Would it be better if the thread were renamed Celebrity Mass Grave?
Yes!

Or, Obscure Celebrity Mass Grave?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 am I’ve often thought it was really weird that a ‘mass grave’ thread was ever made.
Agreed. I was on a forum once where there was a whole subforum for celebrity deaths, and now THAT was weird. It made me uncomfortable everytime something new was posted, because it only seemed to highlight how celeb-focused our society tends to be. It felt very distasteful.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 am I’ve often thought it was really weird that a ‘mass grave’ thread was ever made.
Agreed. I was on a forum once where there was a whole subforum for celebrity deaths, and now THAT was weird. It made me uncomfortable everytime something new was posted, because it only seemed to highlight how celeb-focused our society tends to be. It felt very distasteful.
thank you.
That’s at the heart of my distaste too I think. All the while, I recognize the need/desire to talk about a shared experience.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:10 pm All the while, I recognize the need/desire to talk about a shared experience.
And who doesn't, right? I mean, It's human nature to want to talk about these things. I just think single threads are better in this case so that we can give each person their own space.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There's also the thing where someone of significance dies - say, Patrick Stewart gets his own thread, while the guy who played Larry's friend's son's cousin gets put in the mass thread. I don't like that. I puts me in a position to try and judge whose death is worthy of honors and who gets lumped into the mass. I don't want to be doing that.

I won't care about every person whose death gets posted. But I don't care about the sports threads, and I don't care about the alcohol threads, either. Post what you like and what's important to you, and the rest of us can ignore those that don't mean much to us.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok opinion seem unanimous to end this thread. Should I request it be locked or can we all not use it of our own accord?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not going to lock it. If people don't want to post to it anymore, it will die of its own accord.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:19 am Well I started this thread because I was posting 2 or so new RIP threads or more a week it seemed
Use discretion?

Am I going to have to hear about each and every ‘the guy that played Alice’s son died? ‘ when it happens.

It just seems really cheap and massively self centered to post “about that man” when I (properly) never gave him another thought until the Death Knell
Just because you may not care, doesn’t mean that nobody does; don’t click on the topic if you don’t think it’s worth your time.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will no one mourn the passing of Philip McKeon?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 am
Unagi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:07 pm
Use discretion?

Just because you may not care, doesn’t mean that nobody does; don’t click on the topic if you don’t think it’s worth your time.
Oh, I care.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

In what context?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg