OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Give it a go, man. 5E is great. And that starter box set is the perfect way to introduce. Premade characters, dice, and a really fun campaign that allows them to go up to 5th level by the time they finish it. Really the best way to introduce the game.
That.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kurth wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 pm Looking at the ages makes me ask, what about a D&D campaign? Get the Starter Box for $15, and you have HOURS of fun.
If I could get them to play D&D with me, that would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, I think they’re all too cool for school and think their old man is a big nerd every time I mention it.

Screw it. I may try it anyway. If I take away all their screen access, what else are they gonna do? 🤗
D&D is all cool now. I'm running a game for my older daughter's friends (about to turn 13) with her younger sister (10), and they have kids lining up in case I run a second group for my 10 year old. We're running the 5E Starter Box mission and they're having a great time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’d really like to give D&D another shot with my kids while they’re quarantined at home. Finding a balance between a campaign Little B 11.0 will enjoy and the Wonder Twins 6.7 will be able to understand is really difficult though. I read through the Starter Set campaign again tonight and there’s just no way the twins could do it unless i dumbed things down to the point where B would be bored to tears.

B has a friend who wants to play, but he’s deathly allergic to dogs and can’t be in our house. Bummed about that.

EDIT: Was searching around for kid-friendly modules this morning and found this one, An Ogre and His Cake. Might give it a shot.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Try No Thank You, Evil. It uses a simple version of Monty Cook's Cypher system using D6s. My kids and I experimented with it before they demanded to play D&D -- mostly to play with my miniatures.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 pm Looking at the ages makes me ask, what about a D&D campaign? Get the Starter Box for $15, and you have HOURS of fun.
If I could get them to play D&D with me, that would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, I think they’re all too cool for school and think their old man is a big nerd every time I mention it.

Screw it. I may try it anyway. If I take away all their screen access, what else are they gonna do? 🤗
Give it a go, man. 5E is great. And that starter box set is the perfect way to introduce. Premade characters, dice, and a really fun campaign that allows them to go up to 5th level by the time they finish it. Really the best way to introduce the game.
Ordered! Thanks for the idea and the encouragement. Will post how it went after we give it a go.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Also ordered Codenames and Pandemic (what the hell, why not?). I think we're now well stocked.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Success! My daughter enjoyed her first game of Rallyman GT this weekend so I had her make a custom track. That last portion is rather gnarly. We then did solo time trials to determine pole position which was a lot of fun and now we are ready for the first of many races on different tracks to see who will have the best record during our period of self-quarantine since MA is essentially shutting down now!

Enlarge Image

Even throwing in a bot to make things challenging. Thinking of calling this The Coronavirus 2020 Series! (if it's not too morbid)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:drool:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Had a couple of co-workers over on Sunday and we played Marvel Champions. Spider-Man, She-Hulk and Captain America vs Rhino. We picked these three heroes mostly because they had decks assembled already and it would have been too much to teach the game and deck-building at the same time. Feels like 3 players is a sweet spot, game took a little over two hours, primarily because two of the three players were brand new. I think if everyone had known the mechanics we could have finished in about 90 minutes. Needing 21 threat to lose gave us a comfortable margin with Rhino and we were able to mostly focus on doing damage and keeping our health up. I think one round in phase two we let the scheming get away from us and it spiked to 18 but we were able to quickly bring it back down to a manageable level and finish off the villain.

We then played Mechs vs Minions. We played through the tutorial and then mission one. I am so happy I picked up this game, I had a total blast playing. I am not usually a big fan of RNG mixed with my strategy games as having your carefully laid plans disrupted by a random roll of the die can be frustrating but in this game it just works so well thematically. I could really imagine the Mechs shuddering and sputtering sparks and oil as you try and direct it left when it keeps going right. We were one turn away from winning the first mission and my Mech took damage that flipped me around 180 degrees, on my next turn we had to either complete the objective or we were going to lose to the minions. I had to figure out a way to get turned back around in the right direction and move enough spaces to win. We managed to pull out the win by drafting the right cards at the last minute. Lots of fun!
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Tao

Post by Tao »

Double post.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Taught my son Villagers last night. He really liked it! Possibly because he beat me by a wide margin. This was the third time I've played, and each time I discover a new rule that I've been getting wrong. It's a good game, but the manual could be clearer.

Over the weekend, we played Atlantis Rising, which I recently got as a birthday present. It's co-op worker placement with a nice sense of tension built in as Atlantis -- along with valuable worker-placement spaces -- crumbles into the sea. The game probably should have been called Atlantis Sinking.

Like a lot of co-ops, Atlantis Rising could run into real problems if you have an alpha gamer telling other people how to take their turns. We played pretty casually as a family, though, discussing our options and letting people make their own decisions. Looking ahead, I'd like to crank up the difficulty, since we've only tried the easiest setting, which wasn't much of a challenge. I'd also like to try the solo mode, mainly so I can use the special robot meeple that it requires.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:38 pm Success! My daughter enjoyed her first game of Rallyman GT this weekend so I had her make a custom track. That last portion is rather gnarly. We then did solo time trials to determine pole position which was a lot of fun and now we are ready for the first of many races on different tracks to see who will have the best record during our period of self-quarantine since MA is essentially shutting down now!

Enlarge Image

Even throwing in a bot to make things challenging. Thinking of calling this The Coronavirus 2020 Series! (if it's not too morbid)
This game appeals to me in a big way! I play almost all of my games solo though.

Have you tried the game solo? It seems as if it might lack the interaction, slowing, blocking, etc. of the other cars on the track. Does it lose something solo?

I don't know if simply trying to beat my own times would keep me coming back.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’ve tried one of the AI variants and it was challenging even at the easiest level. There was a little bit of decision making you’ll have to make sometimes on the AIs behalf though.There’s a second AI variant that I’ll try out for comparison.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So, I've played a couple of games of Oath on TTS over the past few days. It's from the publisher of Root and the designer of Root and Pax Pamir, scheduled to come out in print early next year. It's a weird one.

I find theme very helpful in understanding and explaining rules, and in Oath, it takes a while to grok the connections between theme and mechanics. By this measure, Root (dudes on a map, but every faction has different rules) and Pax Pamir (Afghan tribes hitching their wagons to invading imperial powers) are more immediately graspable. Now that I've played Oath twice, albeit an in-development version. I have a better sense of how the theme and mechanics tie together, and it's growing on me.

In Oath, you are each vying for power in a kingdom. In the kingdom, there are six different factions that can help you. You win their favor by sharing secrets with them and building their sites across the land. You spend their favor for a variety of benefits, such as learning new secrets or recruiting their members to your army. Favor and Secrets are the two main resources in the game: Favor is more flexible, but it comes and goes; Secrets are always yours, but have limited utility.

Your winning condition depends on your role in the kingdom. As an Exile, you want to achieve a specific political goal, such as control the most territory, or unearth a Vision (not going to explain this) that will rally the people around you. If you are the Chancellor or a Citizen, you seek to maintain the status quo. The game is on a timer, and you want to prevent the Exiles from reaching any win conditions.

The rules all come together to create a very interesting model of political power dynamics, with plenty of tough and interesting decisions to be made. It just took a while for it to cohere in my head.

Anyway, I think Oath is going to be very divisive when it eventually comes out. It got a lot of Kickstarter backers based on the Root pedigree, and I suspect a sizable chunk of them will not be up for what Oath offers. But I think it's pretty fun so far.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am a backer hoping Oath delivers. Hepcat introduced me to Pax which continues to be a game that frustrates my ability to play well. I like the concept but can never get an engine going with the chaos.

Oath looked like it’s along the same lines but with an empire building theme. I hope I can get my mind around that.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am I am a backer hoping Oath delivers. Hepcat introduced me to Pax which continues to be a game that frustrates my ability to play well. I like the concept but can never get an engine going with the chaos.
Oath offers more space for forward-planning than Pax Pamir, so you might like that more.
Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am Oath looked like it’s along the same lines but with an empire building theme. I hope I can get my mind around that.
It's more like tug-of-war over an existing empire. Sort of.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am I am a backer hoping Oath delivers. Hepcat introduced me to Pax which continues to be a game that frustrates my ability to play well. I like the concept but can never get an engine going with the chaos.
To your credit, you enjoy the challenge. I like watching our bearded friend go nuts when he realizes how easy it is for someone to destroy his carefully built tableau in Pax Porfiriana. However, when folks have played it a few times the impermanence lessens as you figure out ways to attack others in more deceitful and covert ways.

And yes, I will play Oath. Even if you don’t invite me over. Looks like it’s right up my alley.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 am So, Age of Steam last night. It has without a doubt the most unforgiving economy I've ever seen in a game. Just brutal. I had a great time.
Played my second game of Age of Steam last night (on TTS). Now that I understand how the economy works and how to get over the hump of profitability, I was able to make much better decisions than last time around. I ended up with a dense tangle of track in southern part of the board (the Ohio River Valley, basically) that I was able to leverage for consistently profitable deliveries. So satisfying.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

raydude

Post by raydude »

The family and I played a game of Primordial Soup on Saturday and vanilla Pandemic Sunday night.

Primordial Soup dragged on too long for four players and the little panda (8) was getting upset when her amoebas kept dying because there was no food to be had. Mom and big sis panda (12) actually each spent their biological points to buy little panda some mutations. We called it after two hours and big sis panda won by virtue of being in first place with little panda in second.

Pandemic went a little better. Big sis panda was a little apprehensive as she had played Pandemic in school in her Talented and Gifted (TAG) class and she said it took forever. Turns out she must have been playing another version of it because our play only took about 1.5 hours before we won. We did play with introductory rules so we could all see each others cards and I had to think several moves ahead to get our Researcher (little panda) and scientist (big panda) together so we could pull off some early cures. Even so, little panda lost interest after 1 hour and wanted some iPad time before bedtime.

My wife is asking me to find a game that can keep little panda's interest. I may have to go back to the Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginner box. Both kids loved the initial adventure and there is a free PDF follow-up adventure. I may just do that and introduce my wife as a new character. I'm hoping she'll be on board for that. Dunno though, as RPGs may be too geeky for her.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mrs. Skinypupy brought home "Goat Lords" and "Dungeon Royale" from Sam's Club (of all places) on Friday.

Goat Lords has a terrible BGG score, but the kids and I actually found it to be surprisingly fun. It looks like an Exploding Kittens rip-off, but actually plays very different and is quite fun. We played a half-dozen games yesterday, and I'd give it a thumbs-up as a simple card game that kids will enjoy. Plus, the cards are funny. :)

Dungeon Royale was meh. It's an attempt to recreate old console RPG's as a tabletop game, and doesn't really work. The basic premise is pretty simple, but it gets quite fiddly with cards, abilities, skills, respawns, relics, etc., etc. Wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention, and was too complex for the kids. Plus, it takes way too long to play (nearly 90 minutes), which doesn't lend itself to playing with littles.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

raydude wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 am My wife is asking me to find a game that can keep little panda's interest. I may have to go back to the Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginner box. Both kids loved the initial adventure and there is a free PDF follow-up adventure. I may just do that and introduce my wife as a new character. I'm hoping she'll be on board for that. Dunno though, as RPGs may be too geeky for her.
Zombie Kidz: Evolution is a pretty straightforward co-op that plays in about 20 minutes making it pretty friendly for a younger kid's attention span. It also ha a legacy aspect that unlocks new stuff that may help keep the kid's interest.

Kingdomino is competitive, but again a relatively quick play time.

Costume Party Assassins is another quick one that is more directly competitive.

Cardline: Animals and Cardline: Dinosaurs both play the same, just depends what your kiddos prefer. They are all about figuring out which animals are bigger/smaller than the animals already on the line.

Forbidden Island/Desert/Sky is another line of co-op games with relatively quick playtime and kid friendly mechanics.

No Stress Chess is pretty much what it says it is, but obviously limited to two players.

Santorini is also pretty accessible if you play the basic game without powers.

Just trying to think of all the games that have gone over well with my younger kiddo.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

raydude wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 am My wife is asking me to find a game that can keep little panda's interest. I may have to go back to the Star Wars Edge of the Empire beginner box. Both kids loved the initial adventure and there is a free PDF follow-up adventure. I may just do that and introduce my wife as a new character. I'm hoping she'll be on board for that. Dunno though, as RPGs may be too geeky for her.
Here's the games my kids play on the regular (6 year old twins, 11 year old) :
- King of Tokyo
- Legend of Drizzt (or any of the D&D Adventure Series games)
- Lost Cities
- Fluxx (they particularly love the Batman version)
- Love Letter
- Exploding Kittens
- Dungeon!
- Dragonwood
Last edited by Skinypupy on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:05 am
Zombie Kidz: Evolution is a pretty straightforward co-op that plays in about 20 minutes making it pretty friendly for a younger kid's attention span. It also ha a legacy aspect that unlocks new stuff that may help keep the kid's interest.

Kingdomino is competitive, but again a relatively quick play time.

Costume Party Assassins is another quick one that is more directly competitive.

Cardline: Animals and Cardline: Dinosaurs both play the same, just depends what your kiddos prefer. They are all about figuring out which animals are bigger/smaller than the animals already on the line.

Forbidden Island/Desert/Sky is another line of co-op games with relatively quick playtime and kid friendly mechanics.

No Stress Chess is pretty much what it says it is, but obviously limited to two players.

Santorini is also pretty accessible if you play the basic game without powers.

Just trying to think of all the games that have gone over well with my younger kiddo.
Imhotep My family (kids age 12, 14 and 16) has really enjoyed this game, and I've got to twist arms to get anyone in my family to play board games with me. Cool atmosphere and theme if you like ancient Egypt. It's relatively quick to play. And, most importantly, the rules are really pretty simple, but there's some good strategy packed in there. Highly recommended.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm

D&D is all cool now. I'm running a game for my older daughter's friends (about to turn 13) with her younger sister (10), and they have kids lining up in case I run a second group for my 10 year old. We're running the 5E Starter Box mission and they're having a great time.
D&D experiment has begun. I've convinced my 12 and 16 year old boys to play through Lost Mines of Phandelver starter D&D campaign. I've spend a ton of time reading through the materials, 3D printing miniatures and using GIMP and Posterazer to create large, scaled battle maps. I've actually had a lot of fun just prepping to DM this.

In terms of actual play, it's hard to get them off the XBOX/Playstation/iPhone to play with me, but once they do, I think they're having a good time. We've only gotten through the Goblin Ambush and are now starting to explore Cragmaw Hideout, so the story hasn't really taken off yet. I'm hoping it starts to get its hooks in them, and they begin to get more invested as they start leveling up their characters.

One thing that's been a challenge: The LMoP campaign is set up for 5 player characters, but I only have the two of them. Rather than trying to scale down the encounters, I'm having them run a party of 4 where they each run a character and I run 2 additional characters (cleric and rogue) and just really try to have the two I play take a back seat. It's ok, but it's a lot of work for me, and it's hard sometimes to figure out a good balance. Wish there was an easier/better way to adjust for a smaller party.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:06 pm

D&D experiment has begun. I've convinced my 12 and 16 year old boys to play through Lost Mines of Phandelver starter D&D campaign. I've spend a ton of time reading through the materials, 3D printing miniatures and using GIMP and Posterazer to create large, scaled battle maps. I've actually had a lot of fun just prepping to DM this.

In terms of actual play, it's hard to get them off the XBOX/Playstation/iPhone to play with me, but once they do, I think they're having a good time. We've only gotten through the Goblin Ambush and are now starting to explore Cragmaw Hideout, so the story hasn't really taken off yet. I'm hoping it starts to get its hooks in them, and they begin to get more invested as they start leveling up their characters.

One thing that's been a challenge: The LMoP campaign is set up for 5 player characters, but I only have the two of them. Rather than trying to scale down the encounters, I'm having them run a party of 4 where they each run a character and I run 2 additional characters (cleric and rogue) and just really try to have the two I play take a back seat. It's ok, but it's a lot of work for me, and it's hard sometimes to figure out a good balance. Wish there was an easier/better way to adjust for a smaller party.
So, if you don't mind dropping another $20, the D&D Essentials box might be a good idea for you. It is a variant of the starter kit, and it has a bunch of cool hand outs for magic items, spells, etc. You get rules to allow the characters to actually have more choices when they level up. It also includes another campaign set in Phandelin, so you would have even more options for your game. But the biggest thing you might get out of it is rules for sidekicks. It's easier to run characters that you can insert into your game to plug holes in your party.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Wish there was an easier/better way to adjust for a smaller party.
There are some ways you can adapt. One is to give them max HP on ever level. Even with a full party I usually give them max through third level. Another is to give them gestalt characters. It gives them a wider range of abilities and makes them stronger across the board. Actually rebalancing the fights is much harder. Party size in 5e is a huge factor in balance, with the side getting the most actions per round generally having a huge advantage.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Thanks for the lead on the Essentials kit. That looks promising. Maybe I'll play through the first half of the LMoP campaign and then drop out the characters I'm running and try out the sidekicks.

I'm also not sure how long my older son is going to stick with it. He's already doing me a favor playing with his little brother, and I think he may not be in it for the long haul. He's having fun, and he's being a good sport, but, if I'm being honest, I'm not sure D&D is really his thing.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

The kids are home from college so we decided to do Pandemic. Never played it before, we're more of a Settlers Of Catan/Azul/Ticket to Ride family (D&D in the past also). So clearly we're dabbling in another level of complexity. We destroyed the world. Twice. Both games we ran out of player cards, which according to the rules ends the game? Still, great fun was had by all. Needless to say, CDC is not going to be calling us for help.

Looking at Gloomhaven for weekend. Again, another level of complexity. My kids love D&D and Critical Role, so maybe it will take.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If it weren't a bit too on-the-nose, this would be the perfect time to start a campaign of Pandemic Legacy. Unfortunately, I sold my copy before I moved a month ago. If only I had known that I would be stuck in my house for months!
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, ironically i had packed up most of my games to put into storage in prep for a move, having no idea I'd be quarantined. Technically I could go get them if I had to, but it would be a pain.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wait...a Cowboy Bebop deckbuilder with solo options (I think...it's a bit fuzzy on whether it's 2-4 or 1-4 players)?

Hell yes, I'm in. Cowboy Bebop: Space Serenade
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Played Scythe online. Great game, good implementation.

Even better because you can’t undo plays and one player in the game was notorious for redoing his turns but couldn’t. Listening to him freak out over doing anything was hilarious.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am Mrs. Skinypupy brought home "Goat Lords" and "Dungeon Royale" from Sam's Club (of all places) on Friday.

Dungeon Royale was meh. It's an attempt to recreate old console RPG's as a tabletop game, and doesn't really work. The basic premise is pretty simple, but it gets quite fiddly with cards, abilities, skills, respawns, relics, etc., etc. Wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention, and was too complex for the kids. Plus, it takes way too long to play (nearly 90 minutes), which doesn't lend itself to playing with littles.
After playing a couple more rounds and getting a better handle on the rules, I need to change my opinion of "Dungeon Royale". It's actually an absolute blast. I does a really good job of blending chaos and strategy, allowing for both to have a major effect on the outcome.

In our last game, all four of us were - at one point - one move away from escaping the dungeon and winning. Then a crazy set of attacks, moves, and steals blew our entire well-crafted plan to hell. It was hilarious and super fun.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just busted out my old copy of “Stop Thief” and forced the family to play.
Great fun.

Brought back a lot of old memories.

Tomorrow, Mysterium and maybe some D&D Boardgame.

Maybe Call to Adventure.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finally played Dinosaur Island. A group of us tried it on Tabletop Simulator. It seemed prudent to check out the competition.

I liked the how it handled DNA and cold storage but everything else felt a bit flat. The theme and feeling of actually running a dinosaur park was almost nonexistent The people I was playing said they liked DinoGenics better, so that made me happy. :)
raydude

Post by raydude »

We played a little Star Wars: Edge of the Empire yesterday using the free follow on module to the Edge of the Empire beginner adventure. Long Arm of the Hutt. I was ready with my laptop filled with Star Wars music and sound effects. Everyone thought that was pretty cool. I had to introduce my wife's character to the girls, so I started with her locked up in the holding cell of the ship the kids had stolen in the beginner adventure. Things were getting tense (in a good way) as the girls figured out "mommy" was in the holding cell and mommy had her blaster rifle out and trained on the door. The kids opened the door and the bounty hunter, Oskara (played by my youngest) had her blaster pistol out (QuickDraw talent) before anyone could shoot.

Luckily my wife's character, Sasha, knew my youngest's character, Oskara. Says so on her pre-generated character sheet. So I added in a flashback to replay how my daughters helped my wife and an indentured servant escape Teemo the Hutt. From that point on we were all working together. it was a small set of obstacles to solve on the ship, introduce the NPC hook, and get them to Ryloth. By then the little Panda wanted some iPad time so I figured it was a good stopping point.

Wife isn't sold on the "fun factor". She doesn't like having to roll the dice and count up the symbols, even though I pretty much do that for her. She's also wondering when we can get back to playing her favorite game - mahjong. So we'll probably play that next weekend.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If your wife doesn’t enjoy the symbol counting, you could get the FFG dice rolling app. You choose what dice to roll and it automatically does the symbol adding/subtracting and gives you the end result
raydude

Post by raydude »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:29 am If your wife doesn’t enjoy the symbol counting, you could get the FFG dice rolling app. You choose what dice to roll and it automatically does the symbol adding/subtracting and gives you the end result
That's Brilliant!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My copy of Keyforge arrived just in time to be an Easter present for Little B 11.1. While I really like the idea behind it, I'm not sure it's going to really stick with her. It requires a level of strategy, card synergy knowledge, and thinking ahead that I fear is likely over her head at this point.

She does pretty well with straightforward card games like SW Destiny that typically boil down to "win by defeating the enemies sitting in front of you". Keyforge is less about that and more around creating a scenario where you gain enough Amber to forge keys (and keep your opponent from doing so). She couldn't wrap her head around the idea that simply defeating the creatures I laid out might not actually be the most important thing.

Without that paradigm and level of strategy, the game kinda flounders. Hopefully it'll be one we can pick back up when she's a little older.