F@H now for Corona-Virus

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zitterbacke

F@H now for Corona-Virus

Post by Zitterbacke »

If you are into distributed computing and want to help working on the virus, here is your chance.
https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/co ... ple-terms/
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
hitbyambulance

Re: F@H now for Corona-Virus

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is what got me back into F@H
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Do we have a team? :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if there were, it would probably be called fOOlding@home or something like that
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I installed it. Somebody be my hero and make a team.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How do you set it to work on COVID-19? I have four options (cancer, Alzheimer's, a couple of others.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

From what I've read it prioritise Covid over the other right at the moment, but you can't select it straight away.
"By downloading Folding@home and selecting to contribute to “Any Disease”, you can help provide us with the computational power required to tackle this problem."

I'm rendering for the PCMasterRace
Teamnumber 225605

PC Master Race / Octopus Overlords, it sounds like a match.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:25 am I installed it. Somebody be my hero and make a team.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Are we team 225605 or 241653?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I used the latter. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:49 am Are we team 225605 or 241653?
22 is the PC Master Race team. 24 is the OO specific group for those that prefer it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just joined with my GTX 1060 6 GB, set to medium... The fan fired up pretty quickly to high, and if I switch the power to Light, the process seems to stop. Too bad there's not an intermediate setting that runs constantly but at a low-enough level to not kick off the fan noise.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I had a lot of issues tuning the F@H client to avoid overheating my PC. My solution has been to underclock the GPU to prevent excess heat and using the F@H "Advanced Control" UI to limit the number of CPU cores that are used (on all cores, the heat generated was overwhelming my Noctua cooler and triggering thermal throttling). That allowed me to run it on the Medium setting without overstressing the hardware. If I drop it down to medium, the CPU still overheats if I run it on all cores, and the GPU doesn't do any processing because the app never detects it as being idle.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 am Yeah, I had a lot of issues tuning the F@H client to avoid overheating my PC. My solution has been to underclock the GPU to prevent excess heat and using the F@H "Advanced Control" UI to limit the number of CPU cores that are used (on all cores, the heat generated was overwhelming my Noctua cooler and triggering thermal throttling). That allowed me to run it on the Medium setting without overstressing the hardware. If I drop it down to medium, the CPU still overheats if I run it on all cores, and the GPU doesn't do any processing because the app never detects it as being idle.
Mind sharing your specific tweaks? I'm considering doing something similar, as I would prefer it to be less loud and put out less heat, but don't want to drop to Low as that would disable the GPU processing entirely.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

For the GPU, I just used the manufacturer's overclocking utility (Firestorm from Zotac) to lower the target temperature. Currently, I have it set for 70C, and the card is showing an actual temperature of 69C with the fans running at about 35% of max RPM. There are options to configure some GPU settings using the F@H Advanced Control gui, but at first glance they appear to be for people with multiple GPUs, so I haven't fiddled with them or tried to find out more about them since the above work-around is getting the job done. If I need to use the GPU to play a game or whatever, I just switch F@H to light, so that it doesn't use the GPU and return the GPU settings to default using Firestorm. It's a little cumbersome, but it gets the job done.

For the CPU, I launched the Advanced Control gui from the F@H icon in the system tray. Go to Configure/Slots, then select the folding slot for the cpu and edit the number of threads to use. By default, it will be -1, which allows F@H to choose how many, and it appears to use all available threads when given its druthers. Note that both the cpu and gpu have settings for number of threads, so I've been setting them both to the same value, just in case the gpu slot is grabby when it comes to cpu resources. At that point I just experimented with how many threads I could allow while keeping the CPU package temperature in a happy place. I've been using Intel's Extreme Tuning utility to monitor the impact on the CPU usage.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool. I grabbed the MSI Afterburner utility and did something similar.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's interesting that F@H puts such a high load on the CPU/GPU. None of the games or stress tests I have run come anywhere near the impact of an unbridled F@H session. When it comes time to upgrade/replace this system, I'll need to remember to get my system integrator to run a F@H stress test before deciding that any particular cooling solution is "good enough." Last time around, I let him talk me down from going full-on water cooling, because he believed that air cooling is good enough and mechanically more reliable. And it was good enough until I ran up against F@H. :lol:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 am It's interesting that F@H puts such a high load on the CPU/GPU. None of the games or stress tests I have run come anywhere near the impact of an unbridled F@H session. When it comes time to upgrade/replace this system, I'll need to remember to get my system integrator to run a F@H stress test before deciding that any particular cooling solution is "good enough." Last time around, I let him talk me down from going full-on water cooling, because he believed that air cooling is good enough and mechanically more reliable. And it was good enough until I ran up against F@H. :lol:
When your goal is specifically to use every cycle...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It does demonstrate why it's a bad idea to buy a used video card from a cryptocurrency miner. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 am Note that both the cpu and gpu have settings for number of threads, so I've been setting them both to the same value, just in case the gpu slot is grabby when it comes to cpu resources.
I just noticed that the # of cpu threads field in the gpu slot settings reverts to -1 after saving, regardless of what number I set it to, so I'd guess it doesn't actually apply and can be safely ignored.

Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 am It's interesting that F@H puts such a high load on the CPU/GPU. None of the games or stress tests I have run come anywhere near the impact of an unbridled F@H session. When it comes time to upgrade/replace this system, I'll need to remember to get my system integrator to run a F@H stress test before deciding that any particular cooling solution is "good enough." Last time around, I let him talk me down from going full-on water cooling, because he believed that air cooling is good enough and mechanically more reliable. And it was good enough until I ran up against F@H. :lol:
Stressed your rig, accidentally found a cure to cancer.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dang, somehow after today's stat update I'm... leading the the team? My rig is good but not that good.

Join us! Save the world or something?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm trying! For some reason it doesn't seem to be progressing, though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm trying! For some reason it doesn't seem to be progressing, though.
I noticed that they seem to not have enough CPU work units, as I've only gotten GPU WUs lately. So if you're set to Low priority which disables the GPU, currently you get bupkis.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm not getting anything for the past 24 hours. Sending keeps timing out, and receiving keeps getting "no work" which I assume means it's refusing connections. I think their home server is overwhelmed. Apparently there are now 400K members folding for folding@home. I'm not sure they have the capacity and they never tested their system under this kind of load.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 pm
Blackhawk wrote:I'm trying! For some reason it doesn't seem to be progressing, though.
I noticed that they seem to not have enough CPU work units, as I've only gotten GPU WUs lately. So if you're set to Low priority which disables the GPU, currently you get bupkis.
set it to Medium and my computer quickly powered off. i don't think it's supposed to do that. (clearly a thermal safety threshold was exceeded)
Formix

Post by Formix »

Looks like they're out of work units? I have 0.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm still getting them for my GPU, which is a GeForce 1060.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Interestingly, after my CPU was getting no WUs for over a day (while the GPU was chugging along with nary a delay), I went into the Advanced Control just now, the Status tab, right-clicked my CPU, and told it to pause (even though it wasn't doing anything). I waited a few seconds, then told it to Fold. It immediately was able to pull a new WU and started folding.

So not sure whether that was really a fluke, or whether there's a possible bug with the CPU piece getting stuck.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reminder to be careful. Lots of malicious apps and folding stuff out there right now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm Reminder to be careful. Lots of malicious apps and folding stuff out there right now.
Not this one! Nonetheless, a good reminder.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We're now in the top 7,000 teams out of 240k+. Join us!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've got an enterprise grade server with 16 cores set up to pull, and I can't get any work units, sadly. I know it's been mostly GPU workloads, but I was hoping it would do more than 2 WU in two days.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote:I've got an enterprise grade server with 16 cores set up to pull, and I can't get any work units, sadly. I know it's been mostly GPU workloads, but I was hoping it would do more than 2 WU in two days.
FWIW, I follow the project lead on Twitter and he's said they are adding WU servers as fast as they can, and that they hope to have enough work for everyone soon. The available capacity has gone up like 10x in a couple of weeks.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

No doubt, and I can only imagine how much difficulty they must be having dealing with exponential growth in their computing power. I'm just hoping I can help more soon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote:No doubt, and I can only imagine how much difficulty they must be having dealing with exponential growth in their computing power. I'm just hoping I can help more soon.
Same. My GPU has generally been working with no more than a couple hours idle at a time, but CPUs have been starved for days.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've been having my gaming pc set to run when idle, but I don't think it's actually engaging. I haven't wanted FAH to kill my video card while playing games, but maybe I just need to bite the bullet.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The GPU is also like 10x as good at the folding tasks, so if you want significant contribution you're going to have to enable the GPU. The F@H process is assigned a very low priority, tho, so if you're gaming it should back off.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Downlaoding and learning.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet.