Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by Smoove_B »

Again, in case you're wondering what the real concern is here. I wonder if Governor Cuomo refused and so no more ventilators are being sent from the national reserve?

Ohio stops daily reporting of new unemployment claims at request of Trump administration
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by Isgrimnur »

I expect them to be deluged with FOIA requests.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ford's quickly designed powered air purifying respirators:
Ford’s media arm sent out a press release detailing the efforts to design and build the PAPRs, a joint venture between Ford, 3M, GE Healthcare, and the UAW.

Ford is re-purposing seat-cooling squirrel-cage-type blower fans from F-150 trucks to pull in air through the filters and blow the air into the feeder hose for the hood. The 12V needed to drive the fan is provided by what looks to be a standard power tool battery pack, the kind you’d use in something like a power drill.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's hoping this older technique also bears fruit:
On Tuesday, the FDA came through with an Investigational New Drug approval, the first step in beginning trials for a drug. That allows for the possibility of compassionate-use administration of plasma, and hospitals in New York are going to be starting clinical trials, including giving high-titer, therapeutic plasma to some patients and regular plasma to others, as a control.
More about NYC blood plasma use here

I also saw there was some consideration for a ~100 year old TB vaccination that they think might work.

The amount of science happening is inspiring. It's a shame a crisis had to occur to get us to this point.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

2020 waited for us to be in the middle of a Pandemic before laying this on us:

:(

Edit: The tweet is gone, but there's a tsunami watch.
Last edited by Defiant on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Watch != Warning
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Corona Virus/Superbug Thread: It's the End of the World as We Know It...

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’ll bet Japan and Russia aren’t arguing about ownership of the Kuril Islands right now.

Oh, and that pic is old.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A 26-year-old Missouri man was charged with making a terrorist threat after allegedly posting a video on social media that showed him licking a row of deodorant at Walmart and asking, “Who’s scared of the coronavirus?” According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cody Lee Pfister was arrested Monday by the Warrenton Police Department for the March 11 video. Warren County Prosecuting Attorney's Office charged him with a terrorist threat in the second degree. Court documents state that Pfister “knowingly caused a false belief or fear that a condition involving danger to life existed,” and he acted “with reckless disregard of the risk causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure” of the Walmart. His next court date is slated to take place on Wednesday.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/missouri- ... irus-video
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Yikes
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks for the Ford link. id seen something about Ford and respirators but couldn't find it again. Theres also a small company ...I think in Washington but not sure.....that is making a lot and theirs also runs off a battery pack. Said it was the only one to do so back a couple days ago when i watched the story. You'd think all would be battery usable for transfer and such.

Also this.... Italian nurses share selfies of bruised faces after 13-hour shifts
Selfies featuring their exhausted and bruised faces have gone viral on social media. These injuries come from them wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) day after day, hour after hour. Yet, they also share messages of hope — and a warning for people to stay home to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Waffle House closes 365 locations across the U.S.
While more than 300 locations have closed, 1,627 remain open.

If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad...[2]

— Craig Fugate, Former Head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

(The index is for storm related damage, but still...)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When Waffle Houses start closing, you know we’re peppered.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 am When Waffle Houses start closing, you know we’re peppered.
Im sure Huddle House is fine.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Isgrimnur wrote:When Waffle Houses start closing, you know we’re peppered.
Better than smothered and covered..... In virus.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was looking a bit at the stimulus stuff and chuckled at the part where Trump wanted relief for his..I mean hotels....and he wanted to be the oversight on it. Swell guy that Trump.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:28 am Thanks for the Ford link. id seen something about Ford and respirators but couldn't find it again. Theres also a small company ...I think in Washington but not sure.....that is making a lot and theirs also runs off a battery pack. Said it was the only one to do so back a couple days ago when i watched the story. You'd think all would be battery usable for transfer and such.

Also this.... Italian nurses share selfies of bruised faces after 13-hour shifts
Selfies featuring their exhausted and bruised faces have gone viral on social media. These injuries come from them wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) day after day, hour after hour. Yet, they also share messages of hope — and a warning for people to stay home to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Enlarge Image
That is really good news about the PAPRs; I've worn both the N95 and the PAPR and the PAPR is much more comfortable. You feel a little ridiculous in them and I'm sure it's a shock for the patient and their families to see caregivers wearing them but definitely more comfortable. Unfortunately they're very expensive; hopefully they're being subsidized by the feds...?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Here's the question that I would give a million dollars for the press to ask of Trump if he does "open things up" by Easter:

Mr. President, in an act of confidence in your decision to open things up, will you pledge to attend public Easter services this Sunday, showing the American public that it is safe to gather in large public gatherings?
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:14 am
A 26-year-old Missouri man was charged with making a terrorist threat after allegedly posting a video on social media that showed him licking a row of deodorant at Walmart and asking, “Who’s scared of the coronavirus?” According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cody Lee Pfister was arrested Monday by the Warrenton Police Department for the March 11 video. Warren County Prosecuting Attorney's Office charged him with a terrorist threat in the second degree. Court documents state that Pfister “knowingly caused a false belief or fear that a condition involving danger to life existed,” and he acted “with reckless disregard of the risk causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure” of the Walmart. His next court date is slated to take place on Wednesday.

Man charged with coughing in Chicago cops’ faces and saying he had coronavirus

A 21-year-old college student from Wilmette allegedly coughed in the face of a Chicago police officer and said he had coronavirus.

Anthony Ponzi struggled with police who stopped him at the scene of a two-car collision in Rogers Park around 7 a.m. Sunday in the 700 block of North Wolcott, Cook County prosecutors said. Officers said Ponzi was “slurring his speech and was profusely foaming at the mouth” as he yelled at police and another driver, according to a police report.

Officers smelled alcohol on Ponzi’s breath, but Ponzi denied he’d been drinking, prosecutors said Monday. When officers reached to check Ponzi’s eye response, Ponzi allegedly yelled “Corona, ok!”, stepped toward the officer and coughed in his face.

Enlarge Image

But of course:
At a bond hearing conducted using internet-based video conferencing software, Judge Charles Beach granted Ponzi released on his own recognizance, noting he had no prior criminal convictions.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am
Defiant wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:14 am

Man charged with coughing in Chicago cops’ faces and saying he had coronavirus

A 21-year-old college student from Wilmette allegedly coughed in the face of a Chicago police officer and said he had coronavirus.

Anthony Ponzi struggled with police who stopped him at the scene of a two-car collision in Rogers Park around 7 a.m. Sunday in the 700 block of North Wolcott, Cook County prosecutors said. Officers said Ponzi was “slurring his speech and was profusely foaming at the mouth” as he yelled at police and another driver, according to a police report.

Officers smelled alcohol on Ponzi’s breath, but Ponzi denied he’d been drinking, prosecutors said Monday. When officers reached to check Ponzi’s eye response, Ponzi allegedly yelled “Corona, ok!”, stepped toward the officer and coughed in his face.

Enlarge Image

But of course:
At a bond hearing conducted using internet-based video conferencing software, Judge Charles Beach granted Ponzi released on his own recognizance, noting he had no prior criminal convictions.
So during lock ldown you drive drunk the wrong way down a one way street, crash into someone, get out and attack them, then assault responding officers, then waste a hosoital's time and resources because you claim to have coronavirus, and the judge, who was voted out but received an appointment anyway, and who is hiding behind a TV screen, figures it's OK to send you back out into the wild. Cook County baby.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

“I would rather have my children stay home and have all of us who are over 50 go in and keep this economy going and working,” Beck said. “Even if we all get sick, I’d rather die than kill the country. Because it’s not the economy that’s dying, it’s the country.”

Well Glenn, I would rather you skip right to the dying part and let the rest of us get on with trying to manage this disease.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$2T Deal has been reached, which includes a clause that specifically prohibits Trump businesses from getting federal relief. :lol:

What are the odds Dead Leader vetoes it over this?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am $2T Deal has been reached, which includes a clause that specifically prohibits Trump businesses from getting federal relief. :lol:

What are the odds Dead Leader vetoes it over this?
Specifically prohibits businesses owned by president, Vice President, heads of Executive departments, and members of Congress.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Morning Joe was harping on this. I get what the prohibition which also includes members of Congress comes from but he pointed out that if Trump feels personal financial pain he'll try anything in his power to reset the economy. Basically shove money in his pockets to get him to act in *our* best interests. Ugly stuff. And I think he has a point.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Has to be zero. Even for him the optics of that'd be political suicide with the GOP Senate onboard.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I read about a reporter asking Trump about oversight over the spending package and his response of, "I'll be the oversight." Very happy that Congress did some of its job and has an independent inspector general and review board handling the oversight.

Run along now, "King Trump"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am Has to be zero. Even for him the optics of that'd be political suicide with the GOP Senate onboard.
You'd think so, but... :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The oversight was a major sticking point of the whole thing. Trump is obviously corrupt but the GOP wanted to pass it quick. They made a huge mistake and picked Mnuchin for the oversight role. A rare McConnell flub. Anyway, in all this there is a legitimate concern buried in there. They don't want to broadcast which businesses need loans. It could cause major problems. This is the problem we faced in 2008 during the financial crisis. You could make companies toxic if their viability is in question. To fix that we put a gun to everyone's head and said take the loan no matter what. Everyone got cash. We can't do that here so we needed some mechanism to protect some of the confidentiality. Hopefully that'll work in this structure otherwise we are going to be heading towards a COD economy and that isn't necessarily going to work.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:21 pm The DOW went up today. Not sure the reason.

20,704.91 +2,112.98 (11.37%)
Fed intervention, "stimulus" package, and Trump saying this will all be over in 2 weeks. If I wasn't on conference calls all day I would have put some shorts on at the end of the day. Total bull trap.

Current state is a trailing indicator right now.
Big open, now turning red.

MYT
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Today, on Watch Fauci Facepalm:

Yesterday, they mandated that everyone that is still coming into the plant (which is ~30%) must walk to the same desk (with a person on the other side of it!) and sign a piece of paper. They've helpfully provided a pen.

[edit] - I feel compelled to add that I work for a defense contractor, and that all of the entrances to my building feature single pass revolving doors which we must engage by scanning our security badges.
disarm

Post by disarm »

You wouldn't believe the number of door knobs/handles, computers, buttons, machines, etc that I have no choice but to touch in order to do my job inside a hospital...and most of it very difficult to clean properly because it sees such high traffic. My life is a lot of fun right now...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Spring Breaker Who Was IDGAF About Coronavirus Has Apologized
A spring breaker who went viral last week for not giving a crap about the coronavirus during a television interview has now apologized.

Brady Sluder, a high school graduate and Soundcloud rapper from Milford, Ohio, became the face of young people not taking the pandemic seriously after appearing in a CBS News video filmed in Miami.

"If I get corona, I get corona," Sluder said in the video. "At the end of the day, I'm not going to let it stop me from partying. We've been waiting for Miami spring break for a while.

"We're just out here having a good time. Whatever happens, happens."
Sluder apologized for what he said in the video, saying, "I wasn't aware of the severity of my actions and comments.

"Like many others, I have elderly people who I adore more than anything in the world and other family members who are at risk, and I understand how concerning this disease is for us all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This timeline is insane:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - The mayor of Moscow told President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday that the number of coronavirus cases in the Russian capital far exceeded the official figures, as Putin donned a protective suit and respirator to visit a hospital.

Russia has so far reported 495 cases of the virus and one death, far fewer than major western European countries.

Putin has previously said the situation is under control, but some doctors have questioned how far official data reflect reality, and the government on Tuesday closed nightclubs, cinemas and children’s entertainment centres to slow the spread of the virus.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pmThis timeline is insane
That sounds like a standard Russian response. Human life over there has little value to the government. I wouldn't be surprised if they just accept 10% of the population kicking over as a cost of trying to get ahead of the US.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm Human life over there has little value to the government.
Just to clarify, we're still talking about Russia and not the Trump administration?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm Human life over there has little value to the government.
Just to clarify, we're still talking about Russia and not the Trump administration?
Aren't they are the same thing?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am The Spring Breaker Who Was IDGAF About Coronavirus Has Apologized
A spring breaker who went viral last week for not giving a crap about the coronavirus during a television interview has now apologized.

Brady Sluder, a high school graduate and Soundcloud rapper from Milford, Ohio, became the face of young people not taking the pandemic seriously after appearing in a CBS News video filmed in Miami.

"If I get corona, I get corona," Sluder said in the video. "At the end of the day, I'm not going to let it stop me from partying. We've been waiting for Miami spring break for a while.

"We're just out here having a good time. Whatever happens, happens."
Sluder apologized for what he said in the video, saying, "I wasn't aware of the severity of my actions and comments.

"Like many others, I have elderly people who I adore more than anything in the world and other family members who are at risk, and I understand how concerning this disease is for us all.
Good for him. We've all been young, dumb, and/or drunk. He owned up.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Malaria drug chloroquine, AbbVie’s HIV combo therapy Kaletra and an influenza med called Arbidol are among top candidates that physicians are repurposing for the treatment of COVID-19. Despite backing from officials, though, the three have disappointed separately in two Chinese clinical trials of mild patients.
https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asi ... t-clinical