Any Chromebook recommendations?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Any Chromebook recommendations?

Post by Hrothgar »

Since we're at least finishing this year with virtual education, I'm thinking of getting a cheap chromebook to bolster hardware collection. I'd like to keep it under $500 maybe even significantly under if I can get something that works. The kids schools use chromebooks all the time. Most of their assignments are on canvas and google docs. If I were spending more money, I'd just get another windows laptop.

Any recommendations? How cheap is too cheap? Probably just need a couple of tabs and the ability to video conference. Thanks in advance.
hitbyambulance

Re: Any Chromebook recommendations?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 pm
Any recommendations? How cheap is too cheap? Probably just need a couple of tabs and the ability to video conference. Thanks in advance.
the absolute...cheapest...one you can get will do that. go refurbished to save even more.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'll second that pretty much any Chromebook you can buy will do what you need. That said, we have one with a touchscreen and it's great for our 5yo...allows him to interact with a lot of teaching websites much more easily than using a touchpad or wireless mouse. You really can't go wrong as long as whatever you buy isn't so cheap that it's broken in three months though
JCC

Post by JCC »

There are lots and lots of great chromebooks in the $300-500 range. I would just recommend doing some googling of whatever is readily available to you (if buying locally). Acer and Samsung alone make a variety of great options. I recommend you get one with a 360 hinge and touchscreen for maximum utility.

It is a very slick/simple OS which will do the overwhelming majority of what a "regular" user would want out of a laptop (or tablet). I really liked the one I tried for a couple weeks but ultimately just decided I wanted Windows for more full functionality.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JCC wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:19 am It is a very slick/simple OS which will do the overwhelming majority of what a "regular" user would want out of a laptop (or tablet). I really liked the one I tried for a couple weeks but ultimately just decided I wanted Windows for more full functionality.
If you're after more full functionality, keep in mind installing Linux on a Chromebook provides much greater functionality than the default Chrome OS. There's also a FOSS alternative version of the Chrome OS called NayuOS for privacy-minded folk that isn't chained to Google’s ecosystem.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yes adding linux to a Chromebook is an interesting option. I still am just embedded (pardon the pun) with Windows both for work and personal use. I generally really like Windows 10. Obviously it has its problems, but it generally just works for me. My fairly affordable (2 years ago) Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop has been awesome. It's my main personal PC for web browsing, email, etc. It finally got me off iPads and I greatly prefer Windows to iOS.

I have however enjoyed playing with various linux distros over the years. I also have told my parents (both pushing 80) that if they ever want me to help them with a PC In the future it will have to be a Chromebook. Of course now that I have moved away from them they are probably stuck with my poor older brother providing said support.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor