A Biden VP thought I haven't seen anywhere...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: A Biden VP thought I haven't seen anywhere...

Post by Unagi »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:36 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 pm But as long as he's gainfully employed within the Trump administration, it's a non-starter - I don't think Fauci would want to leave the role and the work, and it would look both nakedly political and an interference in the federal government's work (such as it is). Even after he were fired, it would look a little gimicky.
I will give you that, 100%. But perhaps in a world where he was fired in a major rift with Trump under some horrible misstep that Fauci was trying hard to keep from happening... I dunno.

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 pm If Biden really wants to go hard on coronavirus response issues, I think a governor would be a much better choice, such as Cuomo or That Woman From Michigan.
Also Biden's committed to picking a woman. So... Biden / That Woman From Michigan 2020.
Yeah, that one is looking like a clear option, at least. While, I know hardly anything about her.

And I do love the misstep (IMO) in Trump's highlight of her. Being key in 2016, MI is not a state for Trump to be shitting on.
I'd really rather see Kamala Harris get the nod because I'd like to think Trump would have a more difficult time shitting on a Woman of Color, plus, PLUS Kamala would not take that shit lightly and will punch back.

That and I don't want to lose Whitmer for us here in MI. She still has work to do here.
She is the person, in the real world, that I am hoping gets picked.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Z-Corn wrote:

I'd really rather see Kamala Harris get the nod because I'd like to think Trump would have a more difficult time shitting on a Woman of Color, plus, PLUS Kamala would not take that shit lightly and will punch back.
While I have no doubt Harris would punch back, I’m not sure why you think Trump would have more difficulty insulting women of color. In fact, he seems to go often out of his way to insult them on Twitter, usually defaulting to criticizing their intelligence.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 pm But as long as he's gainfully employed within the Trump administration, it's a non-starter - I don't think Fauci would want to leave the role and the work, and it would look both nakedly political and an interference in the federal government's work (such as it is). Even after he were fired, it would look a little gimicky.
I will give you that, 100%. But perhaps in a world where he was fired in a major rift with Trump under some horrible misstep that Fauci was trying hard to keep from happening... I dunno.

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 pm If Biden really wants to go hard on coronavirus response issues, I think a governor would be a much better choice, such as Cuomo or That Woman From Michigan.
Also Biden's committed to picking a woman. So... Biden / That Woman From Michigan 2020.
Yeah, that one is looking like a clear option, at least. While, I know hardly anything about her.

And I do love the misstep (IMO) in Trump's highlight of her. Being key in 2016, MI is not a state for Trump to be shitting on.

That and I don't want to lose Whitmer for us here in MI. She still has work to do here.
Some of my favorite picks are senators and I'd really hate to lose them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Some of my favorite picks are senators and I'd really hate to lose them.
Warren said she'd take the job, and she would bring progressive cred to a ticket that needs it. That won't happen because Warren is too old and doesn't represent a swing state, and they don't like one another. But if Biden DID surprise everyone and tap Warren, Republican Charlie Baker would choose her replacement. Even though he's a moderate non-Trump Republican in a deep blue state, I wouldn't trust him to appoint a Democrat.

Although I like having Warren in the Senate, her real skills are administrative. She won't be veep but really does belong in the cabinet.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read today that the two top contenders, according to the people advising BIden, are Harris and Klobuchar.

Please don't let it be Klobuchar. Tossing out the crazies like Gabbard and Williamson, Biden and Klobuchar were my lowest-rated choices. Teaming them up is doubling down on mediocrity.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pmTrump would have a more difficult time shitting on a Woman of Color, plus, PLUS Kamala would not take that shit lightly and will punch back.
I'd pay the $29.95 for a Pay-Per-View cage match between the two of them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 am I read today that the two top contenders, according to the people advising BIden, are Harris and Klobuchar.

Please don't let it be Klobuchar. Tossing out the crazies like Gabbard and Williamson, Biden and Klobuchar were my lowest-rated choices. Teaming them up is doubling down on mediocrity.
I hear that they're considering adopting "FU Kraken" as the Biden 2020 campaign slogan.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If Biden didn't lock himself into picking a female VP I'm wondering how Julian Castro would have done as VP. Otherwise, I think Kamala Harris would be my preference. If Warren was only a little younger...or the presidential nominee.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am If Biden didn't lock himself into picking a female VP I'm wondering how Julian Castro would have done as VP. Otherwise, I think Kamala Harris would be my preference. If Warren was only a little younger...or the presidential nominee.
Warren would be my first choice, except I have significant reservations about her Senate seat. Otherwise I would lean towards Harris.

Klobuchar would be fine. I've yet to be wowed by her, but she seems generally sensible and to know what she's doing.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 am
Kraken wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 am I read today that the two top contenders, according to the people advising BIden, are Harris and Klobuchar.

I hear that they're considering adopting "FU Kraken" as the Biden 2020 campaign slogan.
:lol: Sounds about right.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 am I would be much more excited with Harris or Abrams or even Warren, but I imagine he'll want to pick someone younger.
Whomever it is will literally have to pass the sniff test. :mrgreen: :dance:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm hoping that Biden is vetting multiple people and someone in the Klobuchar camp just leaked it. As I've mentioned before, I really, really hope Biden doesn't go with Klobuchar (aka female Tim Kaine).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 am I'm hoping that Biden is vetting multiple people and someone in the Klobuchar camp just leaked it. As I've mentioned before, I really, really hope Biden doesn't go with Klobuchar (aka female Tim Kaine).
I don't think that she's the only one getting vetted. My sense is that the top tier of potential VP candidates is Klobuchar, Harris, and Warren. Abrams is essentially openly campaigning for the spot, and there was some discussion of her early in the primary, but I haven't heard much indication that she's getting serious consideration lately. Anyway, I would assume that at least Klobuchar, Harris, and Warren are being vetted.

I wouldn't be excited about Klobuchar, but she'd be fine. And being 'fine / unobjectionable' is itself a strength - I think it'd be harder for Trump to scare people away from Biden based on Klobuchar.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

His VP has a strong chance of becoming the first female president, either during his term or as his heir apparent in '24. One hopes he'll do better than the Klob.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:29 am His VP has a strong chance of becoming the first female president, either during his term or as his heir apparent in '24. One hopes he'll do better than the Klob.
Out of curiosity, would you prefer Harris? Some of my left(er) leaning friends have raised some objections to her, though my general sense is that she has a better approval rating among those folks than the Klob overall. Also Biden is 100% running in 2024 if he wins unless he has major health deterioration.

My first choice would be Warren if we can figure out a good plan for her Senate seat. Although we could easily wind up with another Biden age issue if Warren's running for the top spot in 2028 (though, her running for election while old after a two-term Democratic presidency is a good problem to have).
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FWIW, Biden was on Colbert last night and said no one has been vetted yet. They're still in the beginning steps of interviews and that kind of thing.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Clearly of all the seemingly most likely options (Klobuchar, Harris, Warren), Harris' senate seat is the safest. I also think the would destroy Pence in a debate (if debates actually happen), although she was surprisingly tepid in the primary debates. I just don't really know what Klobuchar brings except for, maybe, not scaring anyone away. That seemed to be the same rational that lead Clinton to pick Tim Kaine, which didn't turn out so hot. Granted, it wasn't really his fault at all, but he certainly didn't excite people to get out and vote as far as I could tell.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 am
Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:29 am His VP has a strong chance of becoming the first female president, either during his term or as his heir apparent in '24. One hopes he'll do better than the Klob.
Out of curiosity, would you prefer Harris? Some of my left(er) leaning friends have raised some objections to her, though my general sense is that she has a better approval rating among those folks than the Klob overall. Also Biden is 100% running in 2024 if he wins unless he has major health deterioration.

My first choice would be Warren if we can figure out a good plan for her Senate seat. Although we could easily wind up with another Biden age issue if Warren's running for the top spot in 2028 (though, her running for election while old after a two-term Democratic presidency is a good problem to have).
I am more concerned that his VP be ready to step in as president than that she be a campaign asset (although both would be ideal). There's a better-than-usual chance that Biden won't finish a full term, and a very high chance that he won't seek a second if he does. Warren is the best qualified to move into the Oval Office. Harris may not have progressive bona fides, but she's smart and tough and can probably handle the top job.

If Biden feels that he must pick someone from the Midwest to win the Rust Belt, then IDK who else should be on his list. Maybe that woman from MI? Although I superficially like her better than the Klob, I need to know more about whether she's ready for the big league. I don't believe that the Klob is.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

At this point, my only concern for the VP is that she is someone who can help win the election. Nothing else matters.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe that woman from MI?
Nope. She was the better choice for governor but she was not a good choice for governor. From day one when she campaigned on small gas taxes increase to fix roads that changed to punitive gas taxes increase to fix roads, she's shown that she was the choice of settling for not the worst case. She'll be divisive and more importantly I don't think she'll hold her own on the national scale. The GOP will be able to effectively mix slander and lies in with truths against her. I can only assume more easily than other candidates.

I would make the same choice in voting for governor again but I would rather something better come along. I don't think Warren is the right person for the right time and even less so as VP but she'd be better than "the Gretch". I dunno who I'd choose from the rustbelt. My choices for President were first the from the Pacific NW, then from Texas, then from New Jersey, then settling with no conviction from MA. I continued to hope for eventual no shows or drop outs one after another through the whole process.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Supposedly they are also vetting Michelle Lujan Grisham (governor of NM).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It doesn't matter. All this micro tactics discussion about debates and 2024 is inconsequential.

Trump's campaign is a juggernaut and will devour any VP bump. Hell, I bet if there is any traction from it he will just dump Pence and go with Trish Regan or some other mirror darkly counterpunch.

Trump is still holding rallies while Biden is face timing with individual voters. Trump has loyalty apps and news netwoks. It's like Walmart vs. your favorite neighborhood grocery.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 am I just don't really know what Klobuchar brings except for, maybe, not scaring anyone away.
A very strong, productive work ethic, considering she's been one of the most effective Senators in the Senate?

She probably also helps, a little, with the midwest.

Personally, I'd probably be fine with most or all mainstream Democratic VP candidates (eg,most of those that have been mentioned) - I'd rather Biden pick someone that would be a good president (if necessary) than other considerations. Though I would prefer someone on the younger side (between Biden being in his late 70s, that older people are more vulnerable in the current pandemic, and wanting someone that could be a candidate in 4/8 years).
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm It doesn't matter. All this micro tactics discussion about debates and 2024 is inconsequential.

Trump's campaign is a juggernaut and will devour any VP bump. Hell, I bet if there is any traction from it he will just dump Pence and go with Trish Regan or some other mirror darkly counterpunch.

Trump is still holding rallies while Biden is face timing with individual voters. Trump has loyalty apps and news netwoks. It's like Walmart vs. your favorite neighborhood grocery.
dump Pence and go with Tara Reide. :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:44 am
Maybe that woman from MI?
Nope. She was the better choice for governor but she was not a good choice for governor. From day one when she campaigned on small gas taxes increase to fix roads that changed to punitive gas taxes increase to fix roads, she's shown that she was the choice of settling for not the worst case. She'll be divisive and more importantly I don't think she'll hold her own on the national scale. The GOP will be able to effectively mix slander and lies in with truths against her. I can only assume more easily than other candidates.

I would make the same choice in voting for governor again but I would rather something better come along. I don't think Warren is the right person for the right time and even less so as VP but she'd be better than "the Gretch". I dunno who I'd choose from the rustbelt. My choices for President were first the from the Pacific NW, then from Texas, then from New Jersey, then settling with no conviction from MA. I continued to hope for eventual no shows or drop outs one after another through the whole process.
Thanks for the input. All I know about her is that trump hates her and she holds her own against him, but that describes almost every Dem woman. Except maybe Klobuchar. :wink:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm still expecting Trump to dump Pence and replace him with himself. His ego is certainly big enough for two offices.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 am Harris may not have progressive bona fides, but she's smart and tough and can probably handle the top job.
You mean other than being one of the most progressive senators?

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=senate

Or you do mean that people just don't perceive her as progressive?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm Thanks for the input. All I know about her is that trump hates her and she holds her own against him, but that describes almost every Dem woman. Except maybe Klobuchar. :wink:
Trump is an easy target. Defending your own decisions and footwork is considerably harder. She does a good job of firing up the local dyed in Blue... and the local dyed in Red... I don't think she is particularly progressive but her dance suggests to me she is not particularly a straight shooter either and that will be to her detriment. Like I said, it makes her vulnerable to truth mixed with lies, especially for a nation for whom she has not been the governor.

The glaring example that will follow her for her entire term her and would have been her association had she not become "that woman"

"The plan" to fix the roads (nothing about gas tax hike):

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gps- ... 040218.pdf

Once in office she her plan (which she has to date lost) was an immediate $.45 a gallon tax

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 572480001/

That's a George Bush "read my lips" tanking.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Klob.
Nice
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm It doesn't matter. All this micro tactics discussion about debates and 2024 is inconsequential.

Except that the grocery store is winning.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Everyone always says they shop local.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Don't be so sure. Using MI as an example, they say 49 to 41 and yet as a state, we are at round 4 of "the voters spoke an no reason mail ballots are thing and you couldn't have lucked in to a better time to already have decided this" and yet the message that this was Democrats somehow ushering corrupt voting tactics is winning. It's unfucking believable. I'm... where is the jaw dropped smiley?

Oh and fuck the DeVos'

(Also our local grocer is Meijer and Meijer is in the DeVos corner... So much so I've cut back my shopping there in favor Aldi, Kroger, and Costco)
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think Klobuchar is a good choice. The midwest thing is facile and besides she did poorly in Iowa. It's a rationalization. Though admittedly the downsides are pretty hard to quantify. The chief one is you are putting two centrists on a ticket. That falls into the argument that you only need to pick up the center of the electorate and Joe does that himself. Easily if you buy into that.

We don't have to worry about Bernie making noise most likely. However, another centrist with a reputation for being abusive to staff seems like a bad way to keep progressives in the game. Joe doesn't have a solid choice either though. Each comes with baggage. It highlights that the Democratic bench is a little on the weak side right now. Honestly it might not matter if the polling holds up but he probably needs a bit of a fighter. Harris or Warren would be good in that role. Warren is solid in the progressive slot so that'd be helpful; though she's probably too old. Harris is more centrist but she could try to re-invent herself during the campaign.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 pm I don't think Klobuchar is a good choice. The midwest thing is facile and besides she did poorly in Iowa. It's a rationalization. Though admittedly the downsides are pretty hard to quantify. The chief one is you are putting two centrists on a ticket. That falls into the argument that you only need to pick up the center of the electorate and Joe does that himself. Easily if you buy into that.

We don't have to worry about Bernie making noise most likely. However, another centrist with a reputation for being abusive to staff seems like a bad way to keep progressives in the game. Joe doesn't have a solid choice either though. Each comes with baggage. It highlights that the Democratic bench is a little on the weak side right now. Honestly it might not matter if the polling holds up but he probably needs a bit of a fighter. Harris or Warren would be good in that role. Warren is solid in the progressive slot so that'd be helpful; though she's probably too old. Harris is more centrist but she could try to re-invent herself during the campaign.
Klobuchar would be doubling down on a strength, for sure - safe, centrist, reasonable, experienced in a time of chaos. I think it depends in part on one's theory of the case for the election - do you think that Trump is his own worst enemy in this election and so you want to keep the focus on him, or do you want someone who is more of a lightning rod for press coverage?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 am Harris may not have progressive bona fides, but she's smart and tough and can probably handle the top job.

I didn't know her voting record was so solid; I think of her as law'n'order, which is usually a red flag. Given the practical drawbacks to tapping Warren (too old, risky Senate seat, not very chummy with Biden), I'm fine with putting Kamala in first place.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm

I didn't know her voting record was so solid; I think of her as law'n'order, which is usually a red flag. Given the practical drawbacks to tapping Warren (too old, risky Senate seat, not very chummy with Biden), I'm fine with putting Kamala in first place.
Yeah, I'm equally okay with either her or Warren. I think as a prosecutor she may have been more moderate, and she doesn't have a long senate record, but it's a good one.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd say that having a female minority in the VP slot would be his strongest move. So definitely Warren. :lol:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm I'd say that having a female minority in the VP slot would be his strongest move. So definitely Warren. :lol:
We could "Trump" that with Candace Owens :wub: now that Democratic governors have killed off most of the old religious voters in nursing homes whom Pence was selected to mollify. :ninja: Although, according to Biden, Candace can't be something? What was that, you know that thing? Text "Joe" to www.dementia.gov Pony Soldier!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe Trump should have done more to minimize Covid-19 like not reopening those churches for at-risk seniors.

:think:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon