Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Charlatan APA by Maplewood Brewing, Chicago. Once in a while, you stumble across the right beer at the right time. In this case, it was following 5 hours of yard work; I needed something that would be as refreshing as a glass of lemonade but last longer than the 2.5 seconds it takes me to down a glass of Countrytime. The 4 hop blend does include citra, probably providing the effect I'm looking for. 6.1% ABV is ok for an APA
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I do like Charlatan quite a bit. It's in the regular rotation.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pile of Face American IPA by Against the Grain Brewery, Louisville, KY. This beer doesn't have much character, middling bitterness with a middling ABV of 6.5. Don't recall how much I paid for the pounder, but it was likely too much.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 pm I'm obviously not an expert on the subject, but I'm told this is good stuff that will sell for many times more, you can buy for like 6-12$ in Mexico.
Not at border towns. The best deals I got was $30 for something selling north of $50 here. It's worth getting some if you happen to be there, not worth making a booze run though.

Good tequila is the only hard liquor I can drink straight up, therefore the only one that warrants paying for good stuff. It is not a habit though, in recent decades mostly only when a friend has the guys over for cards, food, beer and when we have it, tequila.
I am not an expert on this. The relatives buying it would know. Whether it was the really good stuff or not, I don't recall. Might just be your $50 stuff or something. Whatever it was, their story made the price sound incredible.

And now, I'll leave you drinkers to your drinks and go back to my Diet Mt Dew (techinically, Mt Dew Zero these days; recently unable to find the 12 packs of Mt Dew Citrus Cherry Gamer Fuel (not the energy drink crap, just a flavor of Mt Dew - that was for when game day/driving, not every day consumption).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mt. Dew Zero is a damned sight better than Diet Mt. Dew ever dreamed of being.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm Mt. Dew Zero is a damned sight better than Diet Mt. Dew ever dreamed of being.
OK, if you're going to post on something I can speak to, I'll come back briefly to this thread.

Long enough at least to generally agree with Isg, don't know if I'd go quite that far, but definitely better. I'm bummed they stopped doing Diet Code Red. I'm really bummed from years ago, they had a diet Supernova. BRING THAT BACK!!!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm Mt. Dew Zero is a damned sight better than Diet Mt. Dew ever dreamed of being.
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am
OK, if you're going to post on something I can speak to, I'll come back briefly to this thread.

Long enough at least to generally agree with Isg, don't know if I'd go quite that far, but definitely better. I'm bummed they stopped doing Diet Code Red. I'm really bummed from years ago, they had a diet Supernova. BRING THAT BACK!!!
Sorry, you're both wrong. Diet Mountain Dew is better than Mountain Dew Zero.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Bridge Crossing Maibock by Arrowhead Ales, New Lenox, IL. Tis the season, but I've had mixed results with the style in the past. Often, it's little more than a slightly darker MGD. Done well though and it can be sublime. Fortunately, that applies to this beer, it has a nice amber color, slight honey/caramel flavor, and, considering the style, a robust 7.0% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:39 am
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am

Sorry, you're both wrong. Diet Mountain Dew is better than Mountain Dew Zero.
I think we (Isg and I) can all agree you are mistaken in your assessment.

That said, my local Kroger had cans and bottles on sale, only has Mt Dew zero in cans and only Diet Dew in 16oz bottles, so I have some of each.

No flavored stuff though. Only diet flavored stuff I can find currently is Baja Blast, which is probably the only Mt Dew flavor I have tried I do not like. There have been others I'm not crazy about (regular flavors, liked the first Xmas dew, but the new one with Cranberry was merely OK; liked the Halloween mystery Dew, not so crazy about the Voltage, white out, pitch black, and the orange one, code red's good, and of course the previously mentioned good ones).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Collective Arts? Wow, I'm surprised to see some Canadian stuff like that make its way there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

G.O.A.T. Dopplebock by Urban Renewal Brewing, Chicago. It's not exactly season for this beer, and that might account for it's flatness. The flavor is ok, but the grains are kind of muddied and don't put forth the robust flavor it's deep brown color suggests. 7.6% ABV is good for a dopplebock, I just wish the flavor was more explosive -- I really need to find a replacement for my long-lamented Autumnal Fire and this ain't it. I might be willing to give a fresh batch a shot in the fall, though.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

Life Is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans, a pilsner from Threes and Smith & Lentz. The Smith & Lentz brewery was hit by a tornado shortly before the shutdown, so a portion of the proceeds go to their tornado recovery fund.

Very different from Threes' regular pilsner, Vliet. LIWHWYBMOP is more of a standard pilsner, with a less bitter flavor profile. Tasty, but not amazing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dryft Mosaic IPA by Penrose Brewing, Geneva, IL. Trying to score multiple points here, supporting my local treasure, Flight Bottle Shop while also supporting a brewery I pass by on the way to work every day. Penrose is hit-or-miss. Mosaic hopped beers are mostly miss. I'll leave it to you decide where the axe falls on this 6.3% effort.
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm into the *PA thing but my go-to is this lagered ale. I know they've made their way into NY but are currently only shipping within Ontario. The company is a really nice story, as well.

Enlarge Image
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

At this moment, Pikesville on a big rock.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ever since the covfefe virus got real, I've been keeping my packy runs fast and infrequent, which means I just grab and go without shopping new things. Today I was loading up some familiar 4-packs when a clerk asked me if I like NEIPAs. Well yes, yes I do. He pointed out something from a new local brewer that he thinks is the bee's knees. It was a DIPA (NEDIPA, I guess) at a JeffV-pleasing 9% ABV for $21 per 4-pack. Heh. Dude doesn't know me very well. First, I can't drink anything over 8% without getting schwocked (6.5-7% is my sweet spot), and I don't like to get schwocked. Second, I won't pay more than $4 per can.

I'm sure it was a fine beer. Maybe a great beer. But tonight I'm enjoying my old fave Lawson's Sip of Sunshine.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sounds like I should be expecting a package in the mail from Kraken...

I went cheap on my Flight run yesterday with a 6 pack at around $18. So I'm not really expecting great things of this batch (at least one is a re-buy though of something I like). So to start off, I have Evil Cousin DIPA by Heretic. I'm sure I was motivated by the price, while I like their name, I've yet find any of Heretic's beers more worthy than a "meh." And so it goes. Flavor profile is more like a single, not double. No developed richness in flavor. It is bitter and nothing else, but not really the good bitter that lights up your mouth, more like an old shoe. And 8% ABV is not a deal maker when it comes to DIPAs.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For my birthday last month, Wife gave me "growler credits" -- a promise to pay for up to 9 growlers of fresh beer. I have no idea how she arrived at nine. :)

MA has a stupid law that says breweries can only sell and refill their own growlers. One cannot have a generic bottle, or one from a rival, filled at any brewery or brewpub. So growler shopping is a bigger headache than it should be, and they are correspondingly unpopular.

The industry counters with "crowlers" -- 32-oz cans (half-growlers) filled from the tap. I've been watching local brewer Widowmaker's website, and on Friday they finally offered crowlers of Blue Comet, one of my favorite NEIPAs. I blew two growler credits on four crowlers, and that's what I'm enjoying tonight. Filled yesterday, this is as close as I can get to fresh draft beer at home.

It's as delicious as it sounds. $12 per crowler is $6 per pint, which is pricey for canned beer but a good price for draft. (The same beer in pounders is $15/4-pack, vs $24 for the crowler equivalent.) I won't splurge on that draft-beer premium often, but I have seven growler credits left. :D With a little luck, if we all keep isolating, bars will be able to start reopening in June.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, I don't get the insane pricing for Crowlers. I've seen them as high as $30 for something really potent, and as cheap for $6 for a Miller Lite equivalent. But the average price is $15-23, meaning your paying bar price and not carry out price. Also (and this is why I don't buy Growlers either) doesn't the act of pouring it from a tap release much of the fizz? My fear is storing it for any amount of time (lets say I don't drink it immediately when I get home) will cause it to be flat.

I have been tempted from time to time when Rock Bottom has growler sales for $10. Their beer is generally credible, and that seems a good price point. I've not pulled the trigger though because we more often go there in the summer time, when my walk-in beer cooler is malfunctioning and to store a bottle that big in our fridge would mean the kid's milk has to go.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 pm Collective Arts? Wow, I'm surprised to see some Canadian stuff like that make its way there.
I've seen Collective Arts pop up in the Washington, DC area for a couple years now.
Hodor.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am Also (and this is why I don't buy Growlers either) doesn't the act of pouring it from a tap release much of the fizz? My fear is storing it for any amount of time (lets say I don't drink it immediately when I get home) will cause it to be flat.
A place that fills them properly will use a tube that reaches to the bottom of the growler, minimizing splashing and purging oxygen from the growler at the same time. You should be able to get three days without any loss in quality.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 am A place that fills them properly will use a tube that reaches to the bottom of the growler, minimizing splashing and purging oxygen from the growler at the same time. You should be able to get three days without any loss in quality.
Thanks, maybe I'll pick one up next time I see one I consider a good deal. Use to go to Rock Bottom a lot (it was Gordon Biersch much of the time) when I lived in Bolingbrook, not so much now. And even if they open restaurants and bars, unless there's a vaccine I'd consider such places to be akin to playing Russian roulette.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am Also (and this is why I don't buy Growlers either) doesn't the act of pouring it from a tap release much of the fizz? My fear is storing it for any amount of time (lets say I don't drink it immediately when I get home) will cause it to be flat.
A place that fills them properly will use a tube that reaches to the bottom of the growler, minimizing splashing and purging oxygen from the growler at the same time. You should be able to get three days without any loss in quality.
You can extend that a little further if you store the bottle on its side, so that the liquid tightens the seal with the cap. It's not an issue with crowlers (cans) because the seal is tight. I drank all four of my crowlers within two days, so the beer was still nice and creamy as a fresh-poured draft.

It's funny you should mention Rock Bottom; I actually have an RB growler in the pantry from the long-ago days when there was a RB near us. I'd have to go into Boston to get it filled now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just did an email search on Rock Bottom and discovered they've been closed since 3/17. I would have though they might have growler deals to go with carryout food but that seems not to be the case.

When GB flipped to RB, my loyalty card was upgraded to whatever the RB premier card is.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 pm Collective Arts? Wow, I'm surprised to see some Canadian stuff like that make its way there.
I've seen Collective Arts pop up in the Washington, DC area for a couple years now.
Really? Interesting. Have to say they're one of the consistently popular micros. They've mostly been brewing IPAs, at least early on, but they've recently started to diversify.
Jolor wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 pm I'm into the *PA thing but my go-to is this lagered ale. I know they've made their way into NY but are currently only shipping within Ontario. The company is a really nice story, as well.

Enlarge Image
I find they put out good beer, but man if they aren't one of the more expensive ones, due to their whole organic angle. As a result, I only ever get it if it's an option at a restaurant.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:03 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am
Really? Interesting. Have to say they're one of the consistently popular micros. They've mostly been brewing IPAs, at least early on, but they've recently started to diversify.
Yep. It's almost exclusively IPAs of theirs that I've tried, but I've found them all to be uniformly good to very good.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:25 pm MA has a stupid law that says breweries can only sell and refill their own growlers. One cannot have a generic bottle, or one from a rival, filled at any brewery or brewpub. So growler shopping is a bigger headache than it should be, and they are correspondingly unpopular.

The industry counters with "crowlers" -- 32-oz cans (half-growlers) filled from the tap.
I have had breweries tell me that here, while other have no problem filling some other breweries growlers. They just put duck tape over the other breweries logo and attach their own tag.

Crowlers started slow here, just one place doing it. Now they almost all do it. I asked a few breweries that weren't doing it and they said the machines were expensive, but I think they just didn't want to make the investment. A 32oz crowler should last 7-10 days in your fridge, no growler will do that.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Scuzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:24 pm I asked a few breweries that weren't doing it and they said the machines were expensive, but I think they just didn't want to make the investment.
The crowler filling machines list at about $4,000.

To fill a growler using best practices with equipment already in place costs about a nickle worth of tubing. At that price you don't even have to clean it, just throw it away and replace it every day.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:33 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:24 pm I asked a few breweries that weren't doing it and they said the machines were expensive, but I think they just didn't want to make the investment.
The crowler filling machines list at about $4,000.

To fill a growler using best practices with equipment already in place costs about a nickle worth of tubing. At that price you don't even have to clean it, just throw it away and replace it every day.
There is no doubt that growlers are a great deal for the breweries. But until you can can/bottle your product you need to have some way of selling to people who either don't want to deal with growlers or who want several different beers and not just one.

I usually hit the breweries with the family, my wife and two daughters. While my oldest daughter and I have pretty close tastes (except for the sours, she likes sours), my wife and the youngest have limited options. Crowlers make for sales, whereas if I do remember to take my growler it will get filled with something I want, not something they want. Yea, I am that guy.

Now I assume crowlers are 32oz, but several places around here are now doing 16oz cans on site as well.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rumpy wrote:Collective Arts? Wow, I'm surprised to see some Canadian stuff like that make its way there.
I somehow missed this comment before...

I've been able to get a pretty broad spectrum of offerings from Collective Arts in central CT for a couple years now. I've tried a lot of their IPAs, and was doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the IPA # series for a while, but I've fallen behind recently. They're definitely a solid brewery.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

disarm wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:44 pm
Rumpy wrote:Collective Arts? Wow, I'm surprised to see some Canadian stuff like that make its way there.
I somehow missed this comment before...

I've been able to get a pretty broad spectrum of offerings from Collective Arts in central CT for a couple years now. I've tried a lot of their IPAs, and was doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the IPA # series for a while, but I've fallen behind recently. They're definitely a solid brewery.
That'd be a brewery that would maybe change Jeff's mind about Canadian beers ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 am That'd be a brewery that would maybe change Jeff's mind about Canadian beers ;)
I dunno...Binny's apparently carries 10 of their beers, and just looking at the specs, Radio the Mothership at $14/4 is the only one that piques my interest.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 am That'd be a brewery that would maybe change Jeff's mind about Canadian beers ;)
I dunno...Binny's apparently carries 10 of their beers, and just looking at the specs, Radio the Mothership at $14/4 is the only one that piques my interest.
Still, I think it could change your perception. I think you have older memories of Canadian beer and you apply that to all of our beers. I think you'd be quite surprised. Our beer landscape has changed a lot, and we have a lot more micros everywhere, and this brewery is one of the more popular ones. Give it a try and make yourself new memories.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's because they're using American hops.

Global News.ca
As local craft breweries have become the toast of the town in British Columbia, many hop farmers say the success has been tough to swallow.

Hop farmers say they’ve been forced to shut down a third of their crops because of a lack of demand. They blame a lack of support from local breweries and the provincial government.
Stewart says local farmers won’t survive unless the government introduces new incentives for local breweries to make the switch, similar to those found in the wine industry.

While some local breweries turn to area farms for unique varieties of hops, most still by the bulk of the ingredient from the United States or Europe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This weekend, I had a special release from The Veil called ChillBDay. Was supposed to be part of their 4th anniversary celebrations. Here's part of the description: "It’s a double dry-hopped DIPA brewed with Citra, Galaxy, Enigma, Mosaic, Motueka, El Dorado, Simcoe, Wakatu, and Nelson!" 9 hop varieties! And yes, it's a truly fantastic brew, coming in at a solid 8% ABV.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm Image
The other day I had one of those packets of CountryTime sugar-free lemonade.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:30 pm The other day I had one of those packets of CountryTime sugar-free lemonade.
I've heard they're even better if you mix them with water.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm That's because they're using American hops.

Global News.ca
As sad as that is, I don't find it surprising. The industry has had a tough uphill climb in Canada. Still, that's only one province and I'm unsure if it's the same in other provinces. It's sometimes much cheaper to buy in bulk from elsewhere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 am
Still, I think it could change your perception. I think you have older memories of Canadian beer and you apply that to all of our beers. I think you'd be quite surprised. Our beer landscape has changed a lot, and we have a lot more micros everywhere, and this brewery is one of the more popular ones. Give it a try and make yourself new memories.
Well, it's been more than 10 years now (time flies!) since I was in Montreal and trying things not Molson or Labatts. They mostly reminded me of some of the small (pre-micro) breweries here like Point and Leinenkugel, slightly different but not really a radical departure from the majors.
Black Lives Matter