What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:My bad, I thought this new version was a remake of one of the older games, not a brand new entry. Like I said, they’ve never really been my thing. :)

Also looks like the one they’ve been playing on the mini-Genesis is Streets of Rage 2.
Nice. I loved the whole OG trilogy. I think for $20 this one's a solid buy if your kids like the originals. You can even unlock all the characters from the earlier games, in their 16-bit glory.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finally got what I wanted out of Conan Exiles and wandered off. Great game, but it would be much better with friends (and much worse with random strangers.)

Right now I'm still working my way through Batman: Arkham City. I beat it years ago on the PS3, but never finished Origins or Knight, so I decided to give the whole series a go on PC.

I'm also playing The Outer Worlds, which I'm loving. It's like Fallout: New Vegas and Firefly had a baby that was carried to term by Futurama. It's fantastic. I just got to the point where I...
Spoiler:
...got my ship released from the Groundbreaker.
This seems to be the point at which the game opens up, as I have a range of choices as to where to go for the first time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Of course, NHL 20 just hit EA Access, so I have something else to sink my time into.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:45 pm
Skinypupy wrote:My bad, I thought this new version was a remake of one of the older games, not a brand new entry. Like I said, they’ve never really been my thing. :)

Also looks like the one they’ve been playing on the mini-Genesis is Streets of Rage 2.
Nice. I loved the whole OG trilogy. I think for $20 this one's a solid buy if your kids like the originals. You can even unlock all the characters from the earlier games, in their 16-bit glory.
More on SoR4... Digital Foundry has a good in-depth video detailing how SoR4 fits into the full series... and why it might be the best entry yet.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I started Death Stranding. You think you're ready for Kojima weirdness; then you hit that rebirth sequence. What the everloving puppies was that? Of course, playing during quarantine just makes it more surreal.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know I've been jumping around quite a bit, but ever since picking up FF VII Remake I've been pretty focused on that. With that in mind, it's gotten me in the mood for more JRPGs. I picked up Valkyria Chronicles 4 in a PS4 sale. Are there any other good JRPGs I should check out? (Non FF, as I have most of those.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Off the top of my head:

- If you have a Switch (can't remember), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is very good.
- Octopath Traveler is also pretty cool and is now out on PC.
- Ridiculous name aside, Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is one of my favorite JRPG's from this generation. It's got the perfect mix of exploration, story, and very fun combat.
- While I didn't care for it much, the recent Persona 5 Royal release has been touted as one of the best JRPG's ever.
- Dragon Quest XI is great, but really looooong (70-80 hours)
- Ni No Kuni 1 or 2 are a collaboration between Level 5 (Dragon Quest) and Studio Ghibli (anime studio). I much prefered the second game, but they're both incredibly beautiful games.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:59 am I know I've been jumping around quite a bit, but ever since picking up FF VII Remake I've been pretty focused on that. With that in mind, it's gotten me in the mood for more JRPGs. I picked up Valkyria Chronicles 4 in a PS4 sale. Are there any other good JRPGs I should check out? (Non FF, as I have most of those.)
The Trails of Cold Steal series is my favorite old school style JRPG to come out in the past 10 years. Yeah the graphics are a bit dated (1 and 2 were released on the Vita) but damn are they good. 1, 2 and 3 are all available on the PS4. Part 1 is about an 80 hour game and it literally kept my attention the entire time, part 2 is closer to 50 hours and picks up right where part 1 ends and it kept my attention the entire time. That's about 130 hours of gameplay that doesn't get boring. I haven't started part 3 yet, but I plan to hit that one soon.
FTE
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Reviewing my CC statement, I've made six video game related purchases this cycle. That's more than I buy in a year ever since the great AAA title disappointment of (runs to look it up) 2002. BattleTech DLC, Xcom2 + DLC, XCom Chimera, CK2 DLC, Battle Brothers DLC, and six six I forget was six was for...
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue May 05, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

If I had to rank recent JRPG releases (discounting FF games) it would go like this:

# 1 and #2 Trails of Cold Steal 1 and 2. (Im sure part 3 will make the list when I play it)
#3 Ni No Kuni 1
#4 Xenoblade Chronicles 2
#5 Ni No Kuni 2
#6 Dragon Quest XI

I don't count the Valkyria games as JRPGs, they're more like strategy role playing games. But they are good.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:59 am I picked up Valkyria Chronicles 4 in a PS4 sale.
as just mentioned, not a JRPG. if you like this one, there's an oldie for PC/Xbox/PS2/Gamecube called Future Tactics: The Uprising with a similar play style.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I decided to try Monster Hunter World on the PC today. I installed it, spent about an hour researching weapons and such, then launched it and started playing. Right at that moment the phone rings and I need to stop and do something, and discover, much to my delight, that I could neither save nor pause.

Apparently this game doesn't let you save on missions, and there is no ability pause, ever. This is possibly a game-killer for me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:32 pm So, I decided to try Monster Hunter World on the PC today. I installed it, spent about an hour researching weapons and such, then launched it and started playing. Right at that moment the phone rings and I need to stop and do something, and discover, much to my delight, that I could neither save nor pause.
People stop playing for the phone?
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:32 pm Apparently this game doesn't let you save on missions, and there is no ability pause, ever. This is possibly a game-killer for me.
As long as you aren't in combat you can fast travel to one of the camps which is always safe. You probably don't want to be gone long as most missions have a time limit (50 minutes generally).

No mid-mission save, but generally the missions tend to run 20-30 minutes so if you get interrupted you just run it again. They can run longer when you are new to the games or the specific monster. Can you pause if you play offline? I never really tried it.

If those are deal breakers for you, then you should go for the refund as it isn't changing. There are some super cheaty mods for the game on PC, maybe there is something there to help you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, it isn't changing. But while some days will see me gaming for hours on end, it is rare that there is more than 20 minutes without some interruption.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I finally jumped into AC: Odyssey last night. I am really enjoying Don't know why I waited this long. I got it for Christmas 2019.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I picked up AO Tennis 2. It is both awesome and awful.

Graphically it is pretty nice, but the gameplay is kind of brutal. I am playing at amateur difficulty which is the second lowest (above rookie) and I can beat some of the nobody opponents but it takes a LOT. They hardly make errors. Basically need to combo drop shot to get them to the net lob to the corner to get them off balance then passing shot to opposite corner to get the point. Otherwise a rally can last 20+ hits and they never miss. After some practice I can get the odd ace, but only 2-3 per set. If you start out as a total nobody you are much lower skill-wise than even the other scrubs. It will take years of training to catch up. I wonder at what age I just fall apart. Tennis careers only last as long as your joints.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished up FF VII Remake yesterday so I'm continuing my quarantine JRPG kick with FINAL FANTASY X.

I played it when it first came out on PS2, and probably got about 75% of the way through it. For whatever reason I never finished it, and didn't come back to it until the remaster came out for PS4. However, even then I only messed around with it for a few hours. I also messed around with X-2 for a bit, but again never made a concerted effort to finish it.

It's always bugged me that I never beat the game, because it was the last of the turn-based combat FFs which I still love. What better time than quarantine to rectify that situation?

I also started VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 4. However, as others noted previously it's a strategy title so it failed to scratch the RPG itch. Still a lot of fun though.

The quarantine has given me new appreciation for my PS4, as it's the one console my kids care nothing about and that I can actually not have to worry about them "taking over." While I'm an Xbox guy at heart, it's been a real treat to have a gaming system all to myself. Even my PC gets taken over from time to time for school work or YouTube videos. :grund:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've started playing Police Quest 1 (the VGA remake). I haven't played any Sierra games in close to 10 years (even though I used to play them a lot), and haven't played much point and click adventures in general in recent years. I'm using the hintbook, because I don't want to deal with the stress of deadends and such (and I want to complete the games - I've got a bunch I never played or completed).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My EPL season in FIFA 20 ended with Liverpool (my team) in second place at 29-5-4 with 92 points. Had a disappointing finish, losing two of my last 5 games (on goals in the final 3 minutes, no less) and two more 0-0 draws. My offense, which wasn’t great to begin with, simply disappeared over the last few games.

I came in behind Manchester City, who finished the season at 35-2-1 with 107 points and a +88 goal differential. For reference, the most points ever scored in an actual EPL season is 100 and the best ever goal differential is 78. So I had the misfortune to play this season against the greatest team in EPL history, apparently. :roll:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Browsing through my Steam library today, and saw that I had only spent 5 hours with Pillars of Eternity 2 when it first came out. Don't really remember why I bounced off it, other than some of my general frustrations with the modern crop of CRPG's. Decided to go back and give it another look, as 5 hours really isn't enough time to judge a game that big.

Got nearly to the point where I quit before and am really enjoying it so far. They have added a "story" difficulty mode (exactly the way I like to play), most of the bugs have been ironed out, and I think I'm generally just more in the mood for a CRPG, after taking a break from them for quite a while.

We'll see what legs it has, but so far, so good.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I bit on Stellaris after testing it during the free weekend. Through in a bunch of mods because why not and so far its a blast. Just enough role playing as my space crows and odd events to keep it fresh. I'm sure it will have the same end game issues as all 4x games but I'll get my money's worth out of running up through the mid game many times I expect.

It might also help that I was spending an old Visa gift card that I was given as a thank you gift a couple of years ago. Free money!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 since over a week ago. Made mistake introducing the game to my 5 years old daughter which never played games on PC before and not used to xbox controller. Now she can't stop playing it and getting much better on using the controller.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Here's my latest update:

Splitting into finished during quarantine and still working on:

Finished:
Borderlands the Pre Sequel (Beat it on PS4 with Athena)
Borderlands 3 Moxxi DLC and Sir Hammerlock DLC (finished both on PS4)
Far Cry New Dawn (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 1 (Beat the main campaign with Lilith)
Control (I got to what I think is the final boss, wiped a couple of times, finally beat him only to have the game crash, this happened to me twice in a row. I haven't gone back and probably won't)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Finished it)
Far Cry 3 on PS4 (finished it and got the Platinum)

Still working on:
Assassin's Creed 2 on PS4 (I have played and beat every single assassin's creed game except for the Ezio trilogy, so It's about time I play them)
Fifa 20 (I'm working on both my career as a forward for the Crew and my FUT)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Playing this when my kids let go of the Switch, which isn't very often)
FTE
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Currently splitting time between Gears Tactics, Old World, and Division 2.

Gears Tactics is good, but it's missing just a little something. I do like the slightly different take on combat from XCom2.

Old World is pretty good and could end up being great. It's essentially Civ and CK had a baby. They need way, way more events though.

Still super addicted to my latest foray into Division 2. And I recently discovered hardcore/permadeath Division 2 was a thing! I'm reading some negatives on it, but I really enjoy hardcore mode. Started playing last night and it's just great.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Right now I'm jumping back and forth between Outer Worlds and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. The latter I'm playing by ignoring collectibles that aren't already in my path and bonus objectives for the 100% synchronization which doesn't actually have any effect. I'm usually a completionist when it comes to open world games, and as a result I usually burn out on them long before I see where the story leads, so I'm hoping I'll stay the course this time.

I just finished Arkham City a week or two ago, which is a very similar game, enough so that I keep cross the controls of the two.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Needless to say, Xbox Gamepass on PC has definitely been worth the $1 I spent on it this month. If nothing else, it kept me from buying all of these on the off chance that they click. :lol:

- Been messing around with Void Bastards the last couple nights. It's a surprisingly fun sci-fi FPS/roguelike with a cool setting and graphics. Had never heard of it before, but definitely worth a look.

- Played through the first chapter of A Plague Tale: Innocence. The graphics are absolutely stunning, but it's so intense I can only play for short stretches at a time. Reminds me a lot of Hellblade that way. Cool mechanics, beautiful graphics, outstanding audio...but it stresses me out.

- Gave the new Ori & the Will O' the Wisp a look. It's incredibly beautiful, but I find that I just can't get into the more difficult Metroidvania games any more. I'm absolutely terrible at platforming and get frustrated by backtracking.

- Gears Tactics is loaded up, but I don't expect much from it. While I love tactics games, the military vs. sci-fi aliens/zombies/monsters/whatever aesthetic does nothing for me

- Darksiders 3 was so bland and dull. How they could make such a cool setting and such cool characters so incredibly boring is actually kinda impressive.

- Tried Mechwarrior 5. Yeah...definitely not my thing.

- The Surge 2 (which I expect will be shortlived) and Banner Saga 3 (which I expect will have some legs) will be up next.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finished Void Bastards last year. It really was a great game, and lasted just the right amount of time. I don't normally enjoy roguelikes, but the way this one used death was worthwhile - dying starts you off with a new character, but everything you've achieved and collected up to that point remains intact. It's sort of a persistent roguelike. The atmosphere and writing reminded me of a cross between System Shock and Paranoia.

The way they do that for those that haven't played (spoilers are simply the game's premise if that doesn't bother you):
Spoiler:
You are in a ship in suspended animation. Ship has problems. You are awoken and go out looking for parts to fix it. You bring parts back to the ship and go looking for the next part. If you die (and you will), another suspended person is awakened with different bonuses and penalties and keeps trying, but what's already been brought to the ship stays there.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finished:
Gears Tactics
XCom Chimera Squad

Playing:
Darksiders Genesis
AOW Planetfall
BSG
Total War: Warhammer 2. New DLC coming in 2 days!
morlac

Post by morlac »

I've been even more spastic in my game playing. I fully intended to finally be playing and completing some of the RPG's in my enormous backlog and finally getting around to Red Dead 2 and AC: Odyssey that have been completely ignored for years. I barely have played the Witcher 3, DOS 2, POE 2, Etc. We are talking top notch universally loved games that I should have no issue jumping into.

I keep trying to get into both DOS and POE 2 but can't seem to get over the first 2-3 hour hump on either. No idea why, I should love both of these. I want to say maybe I am not up to learning a new game with a complicated system. That is definitely the issue with RD2 as the controls are a hot mess and I get distracted before getting them down and have to start all over again when I get back around to it. Thus burning out on the first few hours of game play and never proceeding past it. Now that I type that, I believe that is my issue with every game...ever. Well at least ever since I could afford to buy more than a handful a year.

Instead for some reason I have been playing the original Dungeon Siege. It is a great game to play while I am "working" at home. We are slow so I have long gaps of inactivity and this game helps fill those gaps and I can jump up and handle house/work stuff and come back an hour later(or years later!) and not miss a beat. It is strangely soothing and relaxing but still WTF am I doing? :) Granted I am now further in it than I have ever been so in theory I am sticking to my plan albeit just playing stuff 15ish year older than I expected.

I have also been making characters in Icewind Dale EE and now have about 50 to choose from and built out parties to mess with. I love a good character creator and being able to custom make a whole party is gaming nirvana for me. I even started a game to test drive an evil party for the first time ever. I have "wasted" hours doing this and loved it! I might even play the damn thing soon but I should really get on with something more recent in my backlog.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

morlac wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am I've been even more spastic in my game playing. I fully intended to finally be playing and completing some of the RPG's in my enormous backlog and finally getting around to Red Dead 2 and AC: Odyssey that have been completely ignored for years. I barely have played the Witcher 3, DOS 2, POE 2, Etc. We are talking top notch universally loved games that I should have no issue jumping into.

I keep trying to get into both DOS and POE 2 but can't seem to get over the first 2-3 hour hump on either. No idea why, I should love both of these. I want to say maybe I am not up to learning a new game with a complicated system.
I'd suggest checking out MajorSlack's series of Divinity: Original Sin 2 video walkthroughs if you'd like to get up and running as quickly and easily as possible. For an experienced CRPG player, the first handful of videos provide a wealth of useful info to get the most out of the game. If you enjoy creating characters and customizing a party, you'll love Divinity: Original Sin 2 after you get the hang of it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
morlac

Post by morlac »

i am trying again this weekend. My biggest issue (in starter town) is moving on from my decision to use a premade character instead of rolling one from scratch. I did tweak the premade but wanted the dialogue choices they provide for a first playthrough. Well I guess I have gotten over that and picked up some buddies. However, every single member of my party has Geomancer as a skill. I understand I can reroll the premade's skills at some point? When is this? I hope it is soon as the first couple fights have been pretty lame and devolve into a slug fest or everything and everyone on fire.

Also, I had to rearrange my party individually before initiating one of the first dialogue driven fights after losing it a couple times. They were to bunched up and with the skills I had to choose from, death by fire seems to be the only real option. Is that a typical tactic? Positioning prior to initiated/triggering combat? I know in Infinity engine games it was required for some fights. I am just curious how prevalent it is required (if all) in this game because I hate it :).

Other games I started/continue playing:

Cuisine Royale: FTP Battle Royale game I am really digging. The twist is you can use "mystic" powers and rituals as you unlock soul points during matches. The powers are locked to your character/class and can be pretty powerful. One dude turns into a super fast high melee damage werewolf for 45 seconds, another can 'blink' teleport, etc. You can unlock through normal play and grind or pay to speed it up. The ritual and outfits that give bonuses (slot machines cheaper, loot appears on minimap, tweaks to rituals, new rituals, etc) you unlock with in game cash earned through leveling up and completing missions. missions consist of hit enemies with assault rifles, use ritual in this area, etc. Loot is plentiful, easy to find and lots of different weapons, armor, etc. Only one large map currently but it is large and varied. Typical war map with with towns, ruins, trenches, bunkers etc. My favorite partt about it is how quick you get to the action. You hit join a que and usually less than 2 minutes and you are loading in and looking for a gun. No long waits, no prelaod into map just to wait another 2 minutes. Right to the action. Give it a shot if you like the genre, it's a simpler, quicker Battle Royale I'm actually pretty good at :).

Madden Football on Xbox one. Purely in Franchise mode just simming, drafting, etc. It's relaxing and mindless and helps with lack of real sports :(.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

morlac wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 am i am trying again this weekend. My biggest issue (in starter town) is moving on from my decision to use a premade character instead of rolling one from scratch. I did tweak the premade but wanted the dialogue choices they provide for a first playthrough. Well I guess I have gotten over that and picked up some buddies. However, every single member of my party has Geomancer as a skill. I understand I can reroll the premade's skills at some point? When is this? I hope it is soon as the first couple fights have been pretty lame and devolve into a slug fest or everything and everyone on fire.
You find a magical mirror that allows you to fully respec every aspect of your companions and yourself right at the beginning of Act Two. However, it does take quite some time to reach that point of the game, especially when you're new to the game and just starting out. So for the sake of simplicity, you may find it preferable to install the Portable Respec Mirror - Fort Joy mod, which essentially provides a portable respec mirror near the Fort Joy Beach waypoint.
morlac wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 amAlso, I had to rearrange my party individually before initiating one of the first dialogue driven fights after losing it a couple times. They were to bunched up and with the skills I had to choose from, death by fire seems to be the only real option. Is that a typical tactic? Positioning prior to initiated/triggering combat? I know in Infinity engine games it was required for some fights. I am just curious how prevalent it is required (if all) in this game because I hate it :).
Divinity: OS 2's combat can be highly strategic and tactical but don't let that deter you, as that's precisely what makes it so immensely enjoyable and fun. Positioning prior to initiating combat certainly can be important depending upon your chosen build(s) though not necessarily essential (since many spells and abilities allow you to tactically relocate around the battlefield). For example, archers and ranged magic users get increased range along with a damage boost when positioned at higher elevations, so it can help to position them higher up prior to triggering combat. For summoners, summoning creatures prior to initiating combat saves a whole lot of AP. You can also split your party so that only one or some are involved when combat is triggered, which can also be used to one's advantage. The Combat Spotlight video created by Larian Studios provides a great illustration of some of the many interesting combat choices the game provides. So don't be afraid to experiment and try to use the terrain and objects around you for maximum advantage.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just started TALES OF BERSERIA which I picked up in the Humble Bundle and really enjoying it so far. It's my first Tales game, and I was pleased to note it has a lot of little things that make it a pleasure to play. Simple things like graying out the Speak symbol on NPCs that you've already talked to. Clear maps. Combat is a little just random button mashy but fun, and it's graphically appealing and runs well.

As pointed out in the MAFIA TRILOGY thread, I also picked back up where I left off in MAFIA III. Actually having a good time with it this go-round. Just going around grabbing collectibles and goofing off without stressing about the missions, and that casual attitude towards it has increased my enjoyment quite a bit.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 pm Just started TALES OF BERSERIA which I picked up in the Humble Bundle and really enjoying it so far. It's my first Tales game, and I was pleased to note it has a lot of little things that make it a pleasure to play. Simple things like graying out the Speak symbol on NPCs that you've already talked to. Clear maps. Combat is a little just random button mashy but fun, and it's graphically appealing and runs well.
I'm curious to hear more about your experience with this as it goes. I bounced of Zestiria pretty hard (3 hours in and bailed) a while back, but I don't remember why...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 pm Just started TALES OF BERSERIA which I picked up in the Humble Bundle and really enjoying it so far. It's my first Tales game, and I was pleased to note it has a lot of little things that make it a pleasure to play. Simple things like graying out the Speak symbol on NPCs that you've already talked to. Clear maps. Combat is a little just random button mashy but fun, and it's graphically appealing and runs well.
I’m going to give Berseria another shot as well. I got annoyed/frustrated with something pretty early (3 hours), and just never went back to it. Need to give it a more dedicated shot.

EDIT: Got about to where I wandered off last time, and remembered why I struggled with this game. It pretty much just vomits a bucketload of info and systems at you, then pats you on the back and says "Good luck!". Three hours in, and I can't make heads nor tails of this combat system. It's all just button mashing at this point, although I'm determined to see if I can figure it out. There's also a ton of stuff it doesn't explain (I've got passive abilities that somehow level up with my equipment...I guess?) that you just have to kinda stumble over and hope they make sense.

Still, the story is neat and the characters are fun, so I'll keep with it for a bit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 pm I'm curious to hear more about your experience with this as it goes. I bounced of Zestiria pretty hard (3 hours in and bailed) a while back, but I don't remember why...
I'm not YK, but I'll throw out a couple thoughts after 10 hours with it.

- The battle system is still a mostly incomprehensible mess of button mashing. I understand a few of the basics (marial artes vs. hidden artes, elemental attacks, etc.), but I'll admit it's mostly just spamming attacks until the mobs fall. There's a whole truckload of skill combos, synergies, ways to recover, etc. that got a brief tutorial 4 hours ago, but I'll be damned if I can figure out WTF they're talking about.
- I'm still getting tutorials on brand new combat systems 9 hours into the game. :lol:
- Despite not really groking it, the game is still quite fun. There's just something incredibly satisfying about crazily slicing through the chaos of a battle against multiple enemies...even if I'm probably not doing it effectively at all.
- It's a testament to how well done the world and characters are that I'm still fully engaged in the game despite the combat system frustrations. Characters are so well written, the story is very interesting, and the overall world is a blast to explore.
- The game certainly won't win any graphics awards, especially the dungeons. They're pretty boring to look at, but exploring the towns and overworld fares much better.
- Music is completely forgettable, which is disappointing.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. I don't know that it'll have legs if things get more difficult (since I don't really understand WTF I'm doing in battle), but it's been very fun so far (playing on Easy). I'd give the first quarter of the game an A-/B+
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

have 15 puzzles left in Sigils of Elohim. i'm enjoying it

(this is a freebie promo game from Croteam for The Talos Principle, also available on Android and iOS. after every eight puzzles completed you get a code you can redeem in that game for additional content)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Separate from the content for solving them in the main game?

Side note: everyone should play the Talos Principle.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 pm Side note: everyone should play the Talos Principle.
Everyone who enjoys puzzles should play the Talos Principle
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 pm Separate from the content for solving them in the main game?
yes, completely separate from the main game. these are basically tangram puzzles (96 in all), but the shapes are all tetronimos.