Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Lassr »

On turn 4, in Isgrimnur's war, Japan mustered just enough forces to take India giving the Axis 9 victory cities, unless DBT USA has an atomic bomb, this game is wrapped up.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Damn! I thought they had to take America to win. I thought playing the Americans meant I had a few turns to gather my strength and attack.
This new version of the game sucks!
I'll finish my other online game and quit until the finished product.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We can always shift back to the Domination rules. Not like any of us are going anywhere for a while.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 pm Damn! I thought they had to take America to win. I thought playing the Americans meant I had a few turns to gather my strength and attack.
This new version of the game sucks!
I'll finish my other online game and quit until the finished product.
Well, this is all stuff in the base A&A '42 game, so the final product is not going to change significantly. But there are rules tweaks available in the game (domination victory condition, alternate (tournament) base game set up.

I think the 9 VC condition makes sense, as *generally* once a side gets that they're on the inevitable road to victory.
Black Lives Matter.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All I've played is the original A&A board game and the PC version from what 15 years ago?
It probably won't change substantially from now to then and just remain a disappointment to me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm All I've played is the original A&A board game and the PC version from what 15 years ago?
It probably won't change substantially from now to then and just remain a disappointment to me.
Yeah, I'm just saying that I think most of your issues are with the '42 game and not this adaption of it (though this adaption does have some clunky interface issues), so I wouldn't expect those issues to be resolved with the final version.

FWIW I'd highly recommend A&A Europe 1940 and/or A&A Pacific 1940, which are great A&A versions that I think are reasonably balanced (and which can be combined into a detailed Global game, which is great but admittedly takes forever to play.
Black Lives Matter.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Lassr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 pm On turn 4, in Isgrimnur's war, Japan mustered just enough forces to take India giving the Axis 9 victory cities, unless DBT USA has an atomic bomb, this game is wrapped up.
Well, my brilliant tactics led to the early end of that game.

I'm up for another if someone wants to start one.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 pm On turn 4, in Isgrimnur's war, Japan mustered just enough forces to take India giving the Axis 9 victory cities, unless DBT USA has an atomic bomb, this game is wrapped up.
Well, my brilliant tactics led to the early end of that game.

I'm up for another if someone wants to start one.
By my estimates, once El Guapo joins my game, him, Isg and I are in 2 games. Got Steisser, Redfive, Lassr and RayDude in 1 game each. DBT was our only other player and it sounds like he's done for now.
If Isg or El Guapo wants to start a game and invite your 4 1gamers, cool.

If not, I can, but Lassr, need your Steam name or for you to send me a friend invite on steam. (Found you in the steam id thread and sent a friend invite)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I created this Google Sheet where we can track who is the games. If we want, we could go so far as to track countries and W/L, but I understand as an engineer I like data that many feel isn't worth the time. :)

Anyway, I'm starting a game for Earth 10 and listed the invitees. :) I requested Raydude as a friend. Once he accepts, I'll send invites.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
raydude

Post by raydude »

stessier wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 am I created this Google Sheet where we can track who is the games. If we want, we could go so far as to track countries and W/L, but I understand as an engineer I like data that many feel isn't worth the time. :)

Anyway, I'm starting a game for Earth 10 and listed the invitees. :) I requested Raydude as a friend. Once he accepts, I'll send invites.
Accepted. Also sent request to see your spreadsheets. I would be interested in tracking countries just so we can ensure distributed country play for folks who want it. I know I don't want to play Germany all the time.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

raydude wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 am
stessier wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 am I created this Google Sheet where we can track who is the games. If we want, we could go so far as to track countries and W/L, but I understand as an engineer I like data that many feel isn't worth the time. :)

Accepted. Also sent request to see your spreadsheets. I would be interested in tracking countries just so we can ensure distributed country play for folks who want it. I know I don't want to play Germany all the time.
Great job Steisser, I added the game we're in on New Earth 1 and the game we're hoping to start on New Earth 2 (waiting for one invitee to accept). For now, I added them in Columns B & C.

I like data, so I'm good with adding any additional fields we need (country played/win-loss). If we are going to do this, probably want new games listed in one column, additional rows so we can put the other data in the columns.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, I can't get into the game anymore. I hit play from Steam, the German Soldier screen comes up and it sits there forever. No progress on the bar. I've rebooted and verified install. Next thing would be to uninstall and reinstall but don't know what that does to the game I'm playing.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I went to search for answers and I see their servers are under maintenance right now so I guess no one can get it.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I see it's not just me. I tried re-installing it but no good.
We had a Windows update and everybody knows they main reason they have these is to fuck up every ones games.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, I was wrong. It's down for Maintenance. One of the reasons I don't like online games.
I still hate Microsoft tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Our games are still there. The update said something about changing transport rules but everything else looks the same.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I joined the new Zenn7 game, in which I am now Japan.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I believe I accepted your friend request. Let me know if you still don't see me.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I sent a request to change my commander name to Lassr, let's see if they respond.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I may have been left out of that last round of invites, which is totally okay. I think we have more players than slots.

Anyone up for a 1 v 1 challenge on the side?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Transport are still a pain to maneuver. In a single player game just now, I had 5 transports that loaded at midway and moved to Iwo Jima to drop off in preparation for an invasion. It took me about 10 tries to get everything loaded and moved to iwo jima, it kept saying there was nothing to drop off, I'd cancel all the movements and keep trying over and over and finally got it to do it...or so I thought. It left the 5 transports undefended back at midway while the rest of my fleet moved on. Next turn, Japanese send a bomber and wiped out my invasion transports. I rage quit and deleted the game. FU!!

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just played my first single player game as the axis and I easily won within 7 turns. I haven't beat the computer playing as the allies yet, 0-3. This version of the rules really really favors the axis. It's not balanced in my opinion, based on 4 single player games and what I've seen as we play. For the Allies to win it seems there has to be a major blunder on the axis part or some really exceptional dice rolls.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I was a little late getting my turns in tonight, but both New Earth 1 and New Earth 2, I've put my turns in.

New Earth 1 - Germany took a gamble, and when it failed in the first round (my BB taking 1 hit and sinking nothing), rather than wisely retreating, the inept commander decided to stick around. He's enjoying his eternal reward at the bottom of the Atlantic now.

The Russian armies have inexplicably withdrawn from Caucasus, leaving a single infantry division which we steam-rolled. Either they are preparing for a heavy defense in Moscow or perhaps, they have some trick up their sleeve.

Left a fighter back to move west or to Africa to support that direction. Must have left him w/o fuel though, he never left the runway. :(

On New Earth 2, Russia has opened up with some adequate offensive rolls to take Western Russia and strike towards Berlin to slow down the Nazi offensive.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:48 pm
New Earth 1 - Germany took a gamble, and when it failed in the first round (my BB taking 1 hit and sinking nothing), rather than wisely retreating, the inept commander decided to stick around. He's enjoying his eternal reward at the bottom of the Atlantic now.
Danke!

Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hey Allies of Earth-2, I was wondering if we could coordinate on discord or something. Sent you all private messages.

Also, is anyone in the Earth-10 game?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am
Zenn7 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:48 pm
Danke!
Meh, figured it was gone this turn anyhow...
Edit - had I not stuck around after the 1st hit, figured I had better odds attacking a sub and 2 dd than being attacked by them and 1-2 bombers; plus I could sink a lot of transports, one of which was loaded if I did win. The risk was not so great given the expectation of losing it anyway and the potentially great reward if I had won.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

New Earth 2:
The Russians swept Belorussia cleanly and retook Caucasus in what should have been a fairly solid victory but instead proved to be extremely costly (pyrrhic even) victory.

The only consolation is that Moscow is safe from attack for at least 1 more season.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just like in Wargames, I think Redfive has discovered "The only winning move is not to play."

Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

I haven't seen any Earth-10 invites so I'm only in the Earth-2 game, thus I sent out invites for a new game on Earth-3 and filled out the google spreadsheet with the invitees.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

raydude wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:50 am I haven't seen any Earth-10 invites so I'm only in the Earth-2 game, thus I sent out invites for a new game on Earth-3 and filled out the google spreadsheet with the invitees.
So, this time I actually did decline the invitation, because I am currently in three online games here, which is about the limit for what I can do given work and everything else - apologies.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:57 am
raydude wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:50 am I haven't seen any Earth-10 invites so I'm only in the Earth-2 game, thus I sent out invites for a new game on Earth-3 and filled out the google spreadsheet with the invitees.
So, this time I actually did decline the invitation, because I am currently in three online games here, which is about the limit for what I can do given work and everything else - apologies.
That's cool. I deleted the game since I'm sure others are in the same boat.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 am Just like in Wargames, I think Redfive has discovered "The only winning move is not to play."
I had a busy day and evening yesterday, sorry for any hold up.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:41 am
Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 am Just like in Wargames, I think Redfive has discovered "The only winning move is not to play."
It's cool.

Out of curiosity though, if Redfive hadn't (doesn't?) take his turn in 24 hours, does it just skip his turn? Russia buys nothing, moves nothing, collects the IPC at the end of the turn? Or will the AI play his turn? AI might be bad, but thinking it might be better than completely skipped. Especially for Russia right now in this game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:41 am
No need to apologize, it was just the perfect opportunity to quote Wargames and I couldn't pass it up.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am Out of curiosity though, if Redfive hadn't (doesn't?) take his turn in 24 hours, does it just skip his turn? Russia buys nothing, moves nothing, collects the IPC at the end of the turn? Or will the AI play his turn? AI might be bad, but thinking it might be better than completely skipped. Especially for Russia right now in this game.
Been wondering the same and I can't seem to find an answer searching the internet...where Isgrimnur when you need him!

I would assume the computer takes the turn, that is the logical thing to do.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

It will have to remain a mystery where my turns are concerned because I have taken them!

Also, Raydude, I did get a game invite from you but when I went to accept it had been cancelled.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

On the online games screen it lists for pending turns "[X] hours until warning". So I would assume that after 24 hours the player gets a 'warning' from the game (take your turn or else!), and then there's probably a second deadline. I assume that after that deadline any consequences would occur (*probably* missed turn I'm guessing).
Black Lives Matter.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They send a letter to your wife telling her you bought the game without her permission and now you're abusing it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am Out of curiosity though, if Redfive hadn't (doesn't?) take his turn in 24 hours, does it just skip his turn? Russia buys nothing, moves nothing, collects the IPC at the end of the turn? Or will the AI play his turn? AI might be bad, but thinking it might be better than completely skipped. Especially for Russia right now in this game.
Been wondering the same and I can't seem to find an answer searching the internet...where Isgrimnur when you need him!

I would assume the computer takes the turn, that is the logical thing to do.
Thank you for "volunteering" for my experiment Lassr. :)
You have a game invite to my game w/ you, me and 3 computers, with me as Russia so I can ignore my turn and find out what happens. Please accept, don't worry about doing any more, it's not intended to be a real game we actually play.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:15 am They send a letter to your wife telling her you bought the game without her permission and now you're abusing it.
They only tell her about my Axis and Allies game purchase right? Not the... other... purchases? :lol: