Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Have you played Talisman?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:29 pm Have you played Talisman?
Have it on my iPad. It’s an RNG nightmare, but I find it fun.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As long as you know what you're getting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm actually a fan of Talisman. It's a fun Beer and Pretzels game. Turn your brain off, roll some dice, laugh at other people getting turned into a frog. What's not to like?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am I'm actually a fan of Talisman. It's a fun Beer and Pretzels game. Turn your brain off, roll some dice, laugh at other people getting turned into a frog. What's not to like?
Have had soem of the guys in my gaming group really enjoy it, but god do I hate it. <sigh> I'll play it, but I suck at these random type of games... Always feel like I want more control.

But I think that is a good way to describe it, beer and pretzels and roll dice and don't take it personally when you get shafted by the RNG. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wasn't sure if I should just post this in the e-Book deals, but this maybe seems like a better place. Not sure for how long but The Monsters Know What They're Doing is on Kindle sale for $2.99. I'm old enough to remember voraciously reading "The Ecology of..." articles in Dragon magazine. This seems to be done in that spirit, though seemingly a bit more crunchy. It's also focused on implementing practical interpretations for how to handle 5E D&D monster behavior based on their stats, so I don't know if there's much value in reading it outside use in that system. However, the price is really good, so I share. I'm torn on getting myself a copy mainly because I know I'll never play 5E, but I like the idea of what the book is trying to do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Small World of Warcraft will soon be a thing.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:59 pm Small World of Warcraft will soon be a thing.

I honestly don't see any theming here. Just a change of art.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, my gaming group just imploded due to a fairly impressive meltdown by one member (who is married to another, thus taking two of four players.) Details in R&P.

I just finished transferring all the RPG files off of my laptop and onto my storage drive, netting myself about 80 gigs of space (I was down to ~30gb left.) I closed my OneNote notebooks associated with running games, cancelled my Roll20 and Syrinscape subscriptions, stored all the papers and notes I had around, and moved all my RPG books from around the house back into the storage shelf in the closet. I then switched my miniature painting lineup away from RPG stuff and toward board game and 'artistic inspiration' painting.

Honestly, after the past month, punctuated by the weird meltdown at the end, it's kind of nice. A breath of fresh air.

So for now, it looks like I'll be focusing more on solo boardgaming and painting for fun, given that only one of my kids will board game with me (my eldest has decided he doesn't like tabletop gaming, as it is too much work compared to video games.) I'm actually looking forward to the freedom to follow my whims instead of taking a group's likes, dislikes, and needs into account.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:08 pm Well, my gaming group just imploded due to a fairly impressive meltdown by one member (who is married to another, thus taking two of four players.) Details in R&P.

I just finished transferring all the RPG files off of my laptop and onto my storage drive, netting myself about 80 gigs of space (I was down to ~30gb left.) I closed my OneNote notebooks associated with running games, cancelled my Roll20 and Syrinscape subscriptions, stored all the papers and notes I had around, and moved all my RPG books from around the house back into the storage shelf in the closet. I then switched my miniature painting lineup away from RPG stuff and toward board game and 'artistic inspiration' painting.

Honestly, after the past month, punctuated by the weird meltdown at the end, it's kind of nice. A breath of fresh air.

So for now, it looks like I'll be focusing more on solo boardgaming and painting for fun, given that only one of my kids will board game with me (my eldest has decided he doesn't like tabletop gaming, as it is too much work compared to video games.) I'm actually looking forward to the freedom to follow my whims instead of taking a group's likes, dislikes, and needs into account.
That sucks, BH. Sorry to hear that. Hate it when a gaming group breaks up. Been on the receiving end before.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And Gencon 2020 is officially cancelled.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Beat me by seconds.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to let my ticket roll over to 2021.

This is going to be a huge blow to Indianapolis' economy. :cry:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, but GenCon going bankrupt would be a bigger blow. And trying to run the con in that venue when only 2/3 of the companies show up, half of the visitors, and then having to try and demo and sell games, run seminars and events, all while meeting distancing guidelines would probably lose them gajillions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm And Gencon 2020 is officially cancelled.
Essen as well

https://www.spiel-messe.com/en/covid-19/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 pm Yeah, but GenCon going bankrupt would be a bigger blow. And trying to run the con in that venue when only 2/3 of the companies show up, half of the visitors, and then having to try and demo and sell games, run seminars and events, all while meeting distancing guidelines would probably lose them gajillions.
I wasn't questioning their decision, I was just stating that Indianapolis is going to suffer a great deal from this loss.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I didn't think that you were. I was just continuing the discussion. GenCon was doomed whether by mandate or by money.

At least they stopped delaying and got the word out so that plans can be changed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And wow, GenCon reset the hotel lottery instead of carrying it over the way you can with tickets, and people are pissed, way more so about that than the cancellation itself. Some people try for years to get a room.

I'm not sure what GenCon's best choice was here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just started playing Legacy of Dragonholt recently. And due to the changes in my gaming group, I just pulled Battlelore off my shelf to play with one of my kids (this is actually the first time I've ever had a two-person gaming 'group', which is actually nice.)

I did some reading and realized that Legacy of Dragonholt and Battlelore are set in the same universe. And it is the Runebound universe, which I also own but have never played due to some missing cards. I had absolutely no idea that these were all the same world, along with some others (including Descent and Heroes of Terrinoth, which I do not own.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 pm And wow, GenCon reset the hotel lottery instead of carrying it over the way you can with tickets, and people are pissed, way more so about that than the cancellation itself. Some people try for years to get a room.

I'm not sure what GenCon's best choice was here.
I imagine they didn't have much say in the matter. The hotels probably didn't want to commit out that far in advance.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, from what I'm reading it was entirely GenCon's call. They likely have those hotel blocks on those days all the way through 2026 (which is their current contract with Indy.)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There is a really fascinating #tabletoppaidme hashtag on Twitter. Folks in the industry are posting about how much they've been paid during their careers and/or how much they make currently. Because most tabletop design/creative work is done by freelancers, most of it is project-based.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apologies in advance, as I’m sure there’s probably been lots of discussion about this that I’m too lazy to try and fine.

Is there a preferred brand and/or place to get card sleeves? Thinking I need to start doing that, as my Clank and Hero Realms cards are already looking hammered (7 year olds are really rough with them).

Trying to find standard card size, then some for the smaller cards in Sword & Sorcery, Gloomhaven, etc.

(And telling me to just search Amazon is perfectly acceptable answer. :))
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Like everything else, it comes down to personal preference. I would advise you to get premium or ultra versions of whatever sleeves you settle on. The reason is the thickness as it relates to being able to still (hopefully) fit them back inside your game box. I have come to prefer the sleeves made by Paladin and every time they have a KS, I end up getting an absurd amount for pretty damn cheap. I also like Ultra Pros and, though not as much as the Paladins. But when you're looking at prices for a brand and you see two in the same size and are wondering why one is more than the other, it's likely the thickness. The thinner sleeves are going to be more expensive, but I think they're worth it.

For Euro sized cards, I like Mayday, but they can be difficult to get - particularly as new games come out that require tiny sleeves.

In terms of quickly figuring out what you need, the person that created this BGG thread should be knighted.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:13 pm Apologies in advance, as I’m sure there’s probably been lots of discussion about this that I’m too lazy to try and fine.

Is there a preferred brand and/or place to get card sleeves? Thinking I need to start doing that, as my Clank and Hero Realms cards are already looking hammered (7 year olds are really rough with them).

Trying to find standard card size, then some for the smaller cards in Sword & Sorcery, Gloomhaven, etc.

(And telling me to just search Amazon is perfectly acceptable answer. :))
For standard-sized cards I would use either Fantasy Flight Standard Card Game Sleeves if you want a thicker, sturdier sleeve or KMC Perfect Fit if you prefer a thinner sleeve. KMC Perfect Fit sleeves are typically used as inner sleeves, but I've found they work really nicely as primary sleeves for board games. I've sleeved many games with them and they provide a layer of protection and comfortable handling properties without being quite so bulky and unwieldy.

Also, when buying in bulk, I've found Potomac Distribution typically offers most brands of card sleeves at reasonable prices. SleeveYourGames.com is also handy for finding the correctly-sized sleeves for the game(s) you're interested in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Tao

Post by Tao »

I tend to also like the KMC sleves;

Card Sleeves

I would not use them for high value or cards I want to preserve for a collection but I think they work very well to protect board game cards from wear and tear and getting dirty or smudged, they tend to fit, well, perfectly and they are fairly thin. They are also easy to shuffle. When I received my copy of Street Masters these were the only cards I could find that fit well. I tried FFG and Mayday and they were either too small or to large. I think FFG may have had the right size, forget which color pack, but none of the local stores had any and since I needed about 2,000 cards I didn't want to order online blind, so I went with KMC as I had a few laying around and they fit perfectly. I have also used them to sleeve a bunch of other games too.

I actually just ordered these sleeves specifically for Gloomhaven earlier today;

GH Sleeves

total impulse buy as I still have several packs of the KMC left but this set had the Euro mini sleeves so... will post how they work out.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And good designers these days make their boxes with room for their cards to be sleeved. You mentioned Hero Realms. Their storage boxes are designed to hold everything sleeved. I wasn't normally as sleever, but a couple of years ago a friend gave me a whole set of the official Hero Realms sleeves. Now I'll sleeve 'important' games (games that are hard to get or I have a big investment in.) Sword & Sorcery is one I still need to get sleeved. Conan. Gotham City Chronicles. That sort of thing.

What I have sleeved I've sleeved with Dragon Shield. I don't know that they're the best, but they were the first ones I tried and they did the job very well. I personally buy the clear/clear type to let the card back are show.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Nothing has made me want to play D&D as bad as seeing that campaign announced. I love the Icewind Dale setting, and that just seems like a blast. Alas, I have no group these days, nor really the time to play.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Warhammer 40,000 9th edition core rules are out now and free to download
The team at Games Workshop has given fans a little gift ahead of the holiday weekend. The new Warhammer 40,000 Core Rules were made available on Thursday, and are free to download. The 26-page document has everything you need to get started with the 9th edition of the science fiction setting’s tabletop ruleset.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Proud parent moment. I’m creating my youngest’s Tabaxi Rogue in Roll20, and she pulls up the claw attack with a 5 foot range. Her comment: “So if they’re not social distancing, I can claw them. Cool.”
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:11 pm Proud parent moment. I’m creating my youngest’s Tabaxi Rogue in Roll20, and she pulls up the claw attack with a 5 foot range. Her comment: “So if they’re not social distancing, I can claw them. Cool.”
:clap:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is a very cool site for those of us who listen to music while we game. Put in the name of the game you’re playing, and it comes up with a customized youtube soundtrack that matches that game. Tried a few different genres, and it came up with some perfect playlists.

https://melodice.org/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:48 pm This is a very cool site for those of us who listen to music while we game. Put in the name of the game you’re playing, and it comes up with a customized youtube soundtrack that matches that game. Tried a few different genres, and it came up with some perfect playlists.

https://melodice.org/
Ok, that was cool as hell. I tried really hard to throw it, but it had almost every game I checked, and all of the soundtracks were good choices. I tried some that don't have obvious styles (Hostage Negotiator), and some that do but are similar (Specter Ops, Shadowrun: Crossfire), and they came up distinct and appropriate lists for each.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That is really impressive.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The lists are apparently all user generated. So if you have a song or two you think would fit with a certain game, you can recommend it.

I did find a couple games that didn’t have any entries (Dungeon Mayhem, for example). Might need to work on that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I found Tannhauser was empty, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!