Mafia Trilogy Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Mafia Trilogy Remastered

Post by Rumpy »

The series is being re-released in a trilogy compilation. As a result, the first game has been completely redone from the ground up from the sound of things. No word on the amount of remastering Mafia II will get, but I don't really see the 3rd one getting much work done.

https://kotaku.com/the-mafia-series-is- ... 1843439274
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Re: Mafia Trilogy Remastered

Post by Blackhawk »

Wow. I really hope they keep the Djano Reinhardt and Slim & Slam music from Mafia 1. It really made the game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 pm Wow. I really hope they keep the Djano Reinhardt and Slim & Slam music from Mafia 1. It really made the game.
Mafia 2 actually inspired me to buy some Django Reinhardt! I have weirdly fond memories of listening to some Django while diving into work; just so surreal. I would really enjoy replaying remastered versions of both 1 & 2.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But will we still have to take part in that damn race? Hey, I actually beat it without the hack... but it took me forever.

I think this (the original) is one of the many games I bought due to the forum effect.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm really curious at what they've done with the original game. It's dated and hasn't aged all that well in terms of controls, but the story was fairly good. If they keep the story as is but update the physics and graphics, then it'd be in-line with the rest. Maybe using the Mafia 3 engine? The thing that makes me nervous about it being redone though are the little things. I mean, as much as we criticize the original game for the things that have annoyed us about it, ie the handling, the traffic violations, the races, etc, it's those little things that helped set the game apart from the rest. I could see them doing away with a lot of those annoying things though, especially the traffic violations, which from what I remember were also in Mafia 2.

Also, I find it really interesting that they're packaging a trilogy. This usually means that a new game is incoming. That's the way it was was the Uncharted series. They packaged the 3 original games as a remastered collection to wet the appetite for the 4th one that was to be released.

Mafia 3 was a missed opportunity. Beautiful depiction of New Orleans. But the story felt more like a consequence to the action rather than the other way around. I wanted to do more with my crew, but they felt pretty useless other than perks.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First time I tried to play Mafia 1 I couldn't stand all the driving around. Next go at it it didn't phase me. Hated the ending.

Mafia 2 I loved except for the fate of a certain character which I hated.

Mafia 3 I cant get a control config Im happy with.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm I mean, as much as we criticize the original game for the things that have annoyed us about it, ie the handling, the traffic violations, the races, etc, it's those little things that helped set the game apart from the rest. I could see them doing away with a lot of those annoying things though, especially the traffic violations, which from what I remember were also in Mafia 2.
The race I hated, as it wasn't done in an action game/GTA style, it was done race style, which requires a set of skills I don't have. One mission (a parking garage, I believe?) I also hated. But the traffic violations and awkward handling were actually elements I enjoyed, along with needing to get gas. It was nice to actually be expected to drive places rather than just blasting through town at top speed. You could always run the lights and speed, but it was a risk. I liked that. Slowing down and taking in the atmosphere was nice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The race didn't bug me. Think I completed it on the 2nd try. It had horrible control though. Like on slippery glass.

I would sometimes just do as traffic and stop at lights and stuff when I was not in a hurry.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm I mean, as much as we criticize the original game for the things that have annoyed us about it, ie the handling, the traffic violations, the races, etc, it's those little things that helped set the game apart from the rest. I could see them doing away with a lot of those annoying things though, especially the traffic violations, which from what I remember were also in Mafia 2.
The race I hated, as it wasn't done in an action game/GTA style, it was done race style, which requires a set of skills I don't have
Yeah, the race difficulty was punctuated by the way it handled physics, which was actually ahead of its time, and admittedly not perfect. I think that was the reason why it had many issues. They were trying to do things with the physics engine that weren't quite there yet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 pm One mission (a parking garage, I believe?) I also hated.
I vaguely remember a lot of complaints about that mission. I think it was the one from the demo... I played the heck out of that. I think the problem was that you could die very quickly in what felt like a cheap manner, and there weren't any checkpoints. Really just a typical third-person shooter of that generation in that regard (maybe a little outdated by that point).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know if it's cool or terrifying that I can search the forum and find many of the same community members making the same comments 14-15 years ago. And really, someone's calling the game "old" in 2006? :P Link, link. So apparently in the patched version, you could skip the race after three failed attempts. Alas, the thread from release was from before OO's time.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm They packaged the 3 original games as a remastered collection to wet the appetite for the 4th one that was to be released.
* whet
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I recall that it was a really, really long sequence with no saves, and that it had lots of 'surprise' enemies that would shoot you before you knew that they were there, and you had to keep your two AI companions alive. AI companions that would charge straight into the middle of the fights, forcing you to keep pushing. If you used cover and cleared out enemies as you went, the companions would die, at which point the mission would fail.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 am
Rumpy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm They packaged the 3 original games as a remastered collection to wet the appetite for the 4th one that was to be released.
* whet
Thanks. I knew it looked off but I was tired.

Speaking of physics, it reminds me just how unstable some of the vehicles were. The free roam bonus missions which were unlocked after game completion were pretty much impossible , and it sucked that if you found a cool unique vehicle, it would stay wherever you last left it. This is where having a garage would have come in handy.

As for combat, I don't remember it having much of a cover system. I think it was the second game that introduced a cover system to the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wasn't referring to a cover system. I was talking about old-school cover (ie - crouching behind objects.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I recall havign a garage and lots of cars even a racer. But that must have been 2.

Huh what about that. I thought it took me two tries to do the race but looking at the 2nd link from Sudy it seems it was at least 10. Memory.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:55 am I recall havign a garage and lots of cars even a racer. But that must have been 2.
That was 1, but I don't remember how it worked, or if you could add cars manually (they may have been added as you went through the story.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I swear I stole a few and drove them to the place...then I could choose which to take later. But again it seems my memory is not photocopy :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:58 am I swear I stole a few and drove them to the place...then I could choose which to take later. But again it seems my memory is not photocopy :P
It's been at least 15 years since I've played it. It's a stretch for me to remember much, too.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:55 am I recall havign a garage and lots of cars even a racer. But that must have been 2.

Huh what about that. I thought it took me two tries to do the race but looking at the 2nd link from Sudy it seems it was at least 10. Memory.
Yeah, it was Mafia II that had the garage. Actually, multiple garage locations depending on the progress through the story as your home location would change. The first game had an outdoor parking lot with limited parking spaces, most of which were dedicated to cars you'd unlock through the game. You couldn't just store any car you found, which is why the game mechanic of leaving the car where you last left it, which was so irritating. You had to know where you left it to be able to find it again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mafia 1 came out about nine months after GTA 3, and was originally intended to come out before it (it was delayed due to changing engines.) The genre was a brand new thing, and designing the gameplay was still guesswork. It had come a long way by Mafia II, which came out between GTA IV and V.

As an aside, the developers were the same one who also put out Hidden & Dangerous 2 and Vietcong, all within a two-year window, and all of which were fantastic, innovative games. In fact (and on-topic), Vietcong was the first game I remember using an actual programmed cover system.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remake of Mafia 1 and remaster of 2. Still haven't dug in to see whats the difference in that statement.

https://www.ign.com/articles/mafia-tril ... ke-mafia-1

EDIT: ah heres that info.
The first Mafia has been completely remade from the ground-up. The complete remake includes a new game engine, updated script, new cutscenes, added gameplay sequences, and more. However, Mafia 1 won’t be available to play until August 28, 2020. Meanwhile, Mafia 2: Definitive Edition is available today as part of the trilogy and received an Ultra HD remaster.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This may be the incentive I need to finally finish MAFIA 3. I've started that freaking game twice and never got more than about 30% through it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive started it 3 times and not got past the swamp mission near the beginning. Ive reinstalled and trying to learn the xbox controller on PC this time. Ive only just started though and drove to the bar.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I'm happy that Mafia III: Definite Edition now includes all the DLC as I never sprang for those. And it turns out that since I had previously bought Mafia III I've been upgraded to the Definitive Edition for free. And I have Mafia II as well so I get the update for free today as well. Still, I really liked the first one the best and so I'll probably grab it in August.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FWIW, anyone who already has Mafia II on Steam gets the Definitive edition. The old one is renamed Mafia II classic. If it doesn't show up right away, just restart Steam. You're welcome :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TY worked for me...my mafia 3 also says definitive edition
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. I got both 2 and 3 updated. Mayhap it is time to finally go in and restart three. I started once and got distracted by something or other.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm Yep. I got both 2 and 3 updated.
same. still have the original Mafia on CD-ROM.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Nearly a 19 GB update for Mafia III.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've finished 2 and 3 multiple times - have they said what has changed with those if anything besides resolution? Have you noticed any big changes?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I read up on 3 and it sounds like they really didn't change anything other than adding in the DLC.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 pm I've finished 2 and 3 multiple times - have they said what has changed with those if anything besides resolution? Have you noticed any big changes?
I only have Mafia 2 on Steam, the rest of them I have on GOG. I've been thinking of replaying Mafia 2 soon and this gives me the perfect opportunity. Will have to report back.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 am I read up on 3 and it sounds like they really didn't change anything other than adding in the DLC.
It automatically updated my PS4 version to the "Definitive" and one thing they added on PS4 is HDR support (which I love generally and which looks great for this game)
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I finished both the first and the second on PC when they came out (well, it took me a couple of years to finally finish the second).

I really like the first one (and I was one who did NOT have an issue with THE RACE) and I thought the second was ok. I really liked the story but I felt like the "open world" was wasted on the game. There is actually nothing to do in the world but the missions, so the world acts as a backdrop to the story but there was zero interaction with the world otherwise.
I'm actually one who always heard bad things about the third, tried it on PC and didn't like the performance and then got it on PS4 (Pro) and really like it (need to pick it up again). The fighting was fun (way better than in 2) and there is a whole world that feels alive. Also, the whole 60s New Orleansy backdrop is different and fun. It is also a pretty grown-up game when it comes to issues like racism etc., which I thought was interesting and unexpected for a AAA title
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

ChuckB wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm I finished both the first and the second on PC when they came out (well, it took me a couple of years to finally finish the second).

I really like the first one (and I was one who did NOT have an issue with THE RACE) and I thought the second was ok. I really liked the story but I felt like the "open world" was wasted on the game. There is actually nothing to do in the world but the missions, so the world acts as a backdrop to the story but there was zero interaction with the world otherwise.
I'm actually one who always heard bad things about the third, tried it on PC and didn't like the performance and then got it on PS4 (Pro) and really like it (need to pick it up again). The fighting was fun (way better than in 2) and there is a whole world that feels alive. Also, the whole 60s New Orleansy backdrop is different and fun. It is also a pretty grown-up game when it comes to issues like racism etc., which I thought was interesting and unexpected for a AAA title
I agree with everything you said. :) I think I like the second a bit more than you do, but it's mostly for the story. I think I'm going to wait until 1 is out again then play through all three in order.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My favourite thing about the 3rd one was the atmosphere. They did a great job in recreating New Orleans, along with the great soundtrack and physics on the cars, it was nearly perfect. Sadly, when it came time to gameplay, it was very repetitive. Building up a crew was a good idea, but I wished they could have gone further with that. I wished that you could order them around to do specific things like have them hit shops for collection. As it was, it's like they were just there for you to open up your abilities and never factored in much beyond that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there any point in stealing a car in 3? I really love Lincolns default one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Maybe not in terms of a game-mechanic, but in terms of being useful, sure. There were plenty of times where I'd decided to steal a car instead of calling in my car if one was nearby. Plus it was just fun seeing how every car behaved, and then you have the fact that each faction had their own car you could unlock and upgrade. I thought it was neat that for races, you would basically need to upgrade your car for a specific type of race, ie top-end vs acceleration along with handling.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a comparison video for Mafia II:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM