Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Scarlet > Fire Toasty Red Ale by Tighthead Brewing Co., Mundelein, IL. Past it's season, not flat like the Metal Monkey one I had last week. Aptly named, more scarlet than fire as the 5.6% ABV attests. The weather today resembles early March, so it's not entirely out of place, but I'm glad I didn't hold off for the Cinco de Mayo nachos I'm making later for dinner.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:58 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 am That'd be a brewery that would maybe change Jeff's mind about Canadian beers ;)
I dunno...Binny's apparently carries 10 of their beers, and just looking at the specs, Radio the Mothership at $14/4 is the only one that piques my interest.
Still, I think it could change your perception. I think you have older memories of Canadian beer and you apply that to all of our beers. I think you'd be quite surprised. Our beer landscape has changed a lot, and we have a lot more micros everywhere, and this brewery is one of the more popular ones. Give it a try and make yourself new memories.
Well, it's been more than 10 years now (time flies!) since I was in Montreal and trying things not Molson or Labatts. They mostly reminded me of some of the small (pre-micro) breweries here like Point and Leinenkugel, slightly different but not really a radical departure from the majors.

Canada's microbreweries took a long time to get started though. You likely tried things just as they were still figuring things out in their infancy. There are so many choices now that it's easy to get overwhelmed by the choices on the shelves. The trick is not to get your impression from restaurants, though that is also improving as more and more restaurants are carrying local beer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Beezer Double-dry hopped IPA by Old Irving Brewing Co., Chicago. This must have caught my eye because it was cheap, as I've been starting to avoid DDH beers after a preponderance of dirt beers. Fortunately, this one does not taste of top soil. It kind of tastes like a lemon melon. Hazy, obviously juicy, the flavor profile just doesn't resonate well with me. 6.9% ABV is standard for it's ilk. Would not spit it up if served to me; would not seek it out again either.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not Widowmaker's best effort -- too bitter on the finish, for me -- but it's for a good cause: "Proceeds from the sale of Canned Goods, along with the proceeds from All Together - Untold Brewing and Debt of Gratitude - Second Wind will go towards a group fund within the breweries, With The Frontlines, to help purchase gift cards from some of our favorite local restaurants. We’ll then be giving those gift cards to our first responders."
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

YummyImage
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I was out at a local Meat Market today and was pleased at how many beers from local breweries they had. Everything sold in 16oz cans, most in 4 packs. But why so expensive? Most are $20 a 4 pack. One Modesto brewery (Dust Bowl) was selling a 4-pack of their DIPA at $25. These are pretty much what you would pay for a draft in a local bar type prices.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’ve been digging some Manhattan Project brews lately. Unfortunately, all they had at Wally yesterday was the hazy IPA and Pilsner, the two types I don’t particularly care for.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:36 pm Image

Not Widowmaker's best effort -- too bitter on the finish, for me -- but it's for a good cause: "Proceeds from the sale of Canned Goods, along with the proceeds from All Together - Untold Brewing and Debt of Gratitude - Second Wind will go towards a group fund within the breweries, With The Frontlines, to help purchase gift cards from some of our favorite local restaurants. We’ll then be giving those gift cards to our first responders."
Mmm mmm good.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:27 pm So I was out at a local Meat Market today and was pleased at how many beers from local breweries they had. Everything sold in 16oz cans, most in 4 packs. But why so expensive? Most are $20 a 4 pack. One Modesto brewery (Dust Bowl) was selling a 4-pack of their DIPA at $25. These are pretty much what you would pay for a draft in a local bar type prices.
Maybe your Meat Market has a markup, but 4-packs of high ABV brews from really popular microbreweries regularly hit $20+ these days.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
Scuzz wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:27 pm So I was out at a local Meat Market today and was pleased at how many beers from local breweries they had. Everything sold in 16oz cans, most in 4 packs. But why so expensive? Most are $20 a 4 pack. One Modesto brewery (Dust Bowl) was selling a 4-pack of their DIPA at $25. These are pretty much what you would pay for a draft in a local bar type prices.
Maybe your Meat Market has a markup, but 4-packs of high ABV brews from really popular microbreweries regularly hit $20+ these days.
My pain point is $4 per pint. I'll occasionally spend more than $16 on a 4-pack, but not often.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm My pain point is $4 per pint. I'll occasionally spend more than $16 on a 4-pack, but not often.
What's nice about Flight is that you don't have to invest that much just to try a beer. It's easier to justify $4 for a single can. That said, while they have sub-$4/can offerings (most are pounders but some are 12 oz cans or bottles), things in that price range are much more hit-or-miss, and it seems the hits don't last very long. Their huge selection is constantly changing (much more so than, say, Binny's) so I'm lucky if I can find a hit on my next weekly visit. The frequency of hits improves dramatically if I go >$4, but some beers will go for $10 or more. A few weeks ago I spent $28 on a six-pack, I try to not go that high though and last week managed an $18/6 which included 2-12oz cans.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy River IPA by Urban Renewal Brewery, Chicago. Yes, the Chicago River is hazy...some might call it murky. Or even a flowing cesspool. That doesn't make it a good base for a beer. In homage, the can features a C.H.U.D. tubing along some toxic slurry.

This chunky hazy beer is not a dirt beer, but is murky nevertheless. The 4 types of hops don't really play well, the Citra tries to rise above it with a bright note that is subsequently brought down by the morass of mosaic, Idaho 7, and Amarillo. 6.5% ABV adds no ancillary excitement.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm
Of the beers they are carrying that I have seen elsewhere they are charging the same price. But I do at least appreciate them carrying the beers.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:24 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:25 pm MA has a stupid law that says breweries can only sell and refill their own growlers. One cannot have a generic bottle, or one from a rival, filled at any brewery or brewpub. So growler shopping is a bigger headache than it should be, and they are correspondingly unpopular.

The industry counters with "crowlers" -- 32-oz cans (half-growlers) filled from the tap.
I have had breweries tell me that here, while other have no problem filling some other breweries growlers. They just put duck tape over the other breweries logo and attach their own tag.

Crowlers started slow here, just one place doing it. Now they almost all do it. I asked a few breweries that weren't doing it and they said the machines were expensive, but I think they just didn't want to make the investment. A 32oz crowler should last 7-10 days in your fridge, no growler will do that.
Random late response, but I've had crowlers last in my fridge much longer than that. I drank one that I've had at least 6 weeks last night - still tasted fresh, still had carbonation.

The first place I ever saw a crowler machine was at Cigar City back in 2015. The process definitely took a while to get up here in Northern VA, but it seems like tons of places do them now, and I'd much rather just buy a crowler of something than tote a growler along with me.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 pm I'd much rather just buy a crowler of something than tote a growler along with me.
I'd agree if they were carry-out priced, but they are bar-priced. Going with pre-packaged cans or bottles, I can easily find comparable beers at 1/2 - 1/4 of the price.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

West Coast Wizard IPA by Miskatonic Brewing Co., Darien, IL. Another competent effort from a brewery I've been hoping will knock my socks off some day. Clear, clean...if there was such a thing as an "Ice IPA" this would be it. No real flavor, yet nice bitterness. 6.3% ABV, I'd pick up a six on sale.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:24 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:25 pm MA has a stupid law that says breweries can only sell and refill their own growlers. One cannot have a generic bottle, or one from a rival, filled at any brewery or brewpub. So growler shopping is a bigger headache than it should be, and they are correspondingly unpopular.

The industry counters with "crowlers" -- 32-oz cans (half-growlers) filled from the tap.
I have had breweries tell me that here, while other have no problem filling some other breweries growlers. They just put duck tape over the other breweries logo and attach their own tag.

Crowlers started slow here, just one place doing it. Now they almost all do it. I asked a few breweries that weren't doing it and they said the machines were expensive, but I think they just didn't want to make the investment. A 32oz crowler should last 7-10 days in your fridge, no growler will do that.
Random late response, but I've had crowlers last in my fridge much longer than that. I drank one that I've had at least 6 weeks last night - still tasted fresh, still had carbonation.

The first place I ever saw a crowler machine was at Cigar City back in 2015. The process definitely took a while to get up here in Northern VA, but it seems like tons of places do them now, and I'd much rather just buy a crowler of something than tote a growler along with me.
I think the longest I have gone with a Crowler was 2 weeks, but when purchasing I am always told sooner than that. For a couple years only 1 place in town did them, now there are at least three I know of. But I wish out of town breweries that don't bottle much would offer it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:46 pm But I wish out of town breweries that don't bottle much would offer it.
Seems to me if not a tap-house offering, then it's something third parties would do. I imagine if the breweries themselves were engaging in a canning operation, it would be standard 12 or 16 oz denominations. I think I've seen some shit beer in 32oz cans (or maybe just 24); but I've not seen any micro brewery crowlers on the shelf.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:46 pm But I wish out of town breweries that don't bottle much would offer it.
Seems to me if not a tap-house offering, then it's something third parties would do. I imagine if the breweries themselves were engaging in a canning operation, it would be standard 12 or 16 oz denominations. I think I've seen some shit beer in 32oz cans (or maybe just 24); but I've not seen any micro brewery crowlers on the shelf.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:37 pm
Crowlers are filled to order by the breweries around here. Of the, maybe 6-7 breweries operating, only 1 is large enough to can/bottle a large selection. A couple others are doing more because of the pandemic, but there is one that does pints, growlers, crowlers, 32oz bottles and 16oz cans. You just never know with the prepared ones which beers they have available.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Crocus DDH DIPA by Half Acre Beer Co., Chicago. Combining something I'm a fan of (DIPA) with something I'm not (DDH), Half Acre nevertheless manages a credible beer (then again, I expect nothing less from them). The rich bitterness I love in DIPAs is tempered by the astringent hops, but no hints of dirt as is common with DDH beers. 8.5% ABV is a nice bonus.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Prairie Madness IPA by Hailstorm Brewing Co., Tinley Park, IL. This is a delicious beer, almost like liquid caramel yet also nicely bitter (100 IBU). It drinks like a DIPA, but only a single, so I can excuse the 7% ABV. I'll definitely be looking for this again.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Surf DNEIPA by Energy City Brewing made by Great Central Brewing Co., Chicago. Hazy, complex fruity, 8.2%, delicious. Perfect refreshment after mowing the lawn.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Going Places IPA by Hopewell Brewing Co., Chicago. A solid unfiltered IPA, nicely bitter, not terribly fruity. 6.8% is decent for it's ilk.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Cycle Hazy DIPA by Short Fuze Brewing Co., Schiller Park, IL. I don't recall having a beer made with either Sabro or Lotus hops, but this has them both. And they are delicious. It's a fruity IPA to be sure, but not cloying. 8.6% ABV is reasonable.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop Nawi NEIPA by Energy City Brewing, Batavia, IL. A juicy, cloudy beer, you can taste citrus just before the yeast makes it's presence felt. I falsely assumed "Nawi" is what you get by colliding Galaxy and Vic Secret hops in the Fermi Lab particle accelerator, but no, for some reason they named the beer after an Australian aboriginal canoe. 7.2% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Denial and Error English Pale Ale by Lil Beaver Brewing, Bloomington, IL. Another nerfed beer coming from a college town. Flavor not as well developed as it should be, although it does have a hint of classic English ale. 5% ABV will keep the kids drinking all night and still blow clean on a breathalyzer.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Foklsbier's Harbinger of Spring, a really tasty maibock from a small brewery near me.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Preserved in Three Dimensions DIPA by Hop Butcher to the World, Bedford Park, IL. Unfiltered, tastes of citrus and melon, this is a pretty good effort from a brewery in a town known for it's endless industrial parks. 7.5% ABV is a little weak for a DIPA, but it's a tasty beer. Don't remember what I paid for it, if it was much more than $4 for a pounder then I probably paid a little too much.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Gilded King NEIPA by Riverlands Brewing Co., St. Charles, IL. A satisfying example of the style, this milky-urine colored opaque beer tastes of grapefruit juice, underripe Korean melon, and kumquat pith. 6.8% ABV is average for its ilk. I would probably buy again.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hubbard's Cave Fresh V40 Imperial IPA by Une Annee Brewery, Niles, IL. First from this brewery, unusual mix of hops (V40, Azacca, Southern Passion, and Mosaic). I blame the Mosaic for making this beer as uninteresting as it is. I like my imperials >10% ABV, so 8.5% is a let down here. Not a bad beer, but I suspect I overpaid for it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Humble Gator DIPA by Urban Renewal Brewing, Chicago. Last summer the city was captivated by the story of a gator prowling a park lagoon. Dubbed "Chance the Snapper," the gator was ultimately captured and relocated to Florida. Now a beer exists in his honor. A competent, if not exceptional, DIPA. Tasting of melon with a hint of mango, this unfiltered beer could use a little more time in the tank. Only 7.5% ABV, its on the lower rung of the DIPA ladder.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Boss Tweed DIPA by Old Nation Brewing Co., Williamston, MI. As if using 5 types of hops wasn't a recipe for confusion, it would seem they all worked to cancel each other out and yeast is the prevailing flavor. 68 IBU is low for a DIPA, there is no rich hop flavor or deep bitterness that I get with the better representatives of the style. It does, however, have 9.3% ABV in it's favor.

I think I'm 0-3 with this brewery.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:52 pm Boss Tweed DIPA by Old Nation Brewing Co., Williamston, MI.
I think I'm 0-3 with this brewery.
Did you try their M-43?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm Did you try their M-43?
I did, but I can't see where I posted a review of it here. I don't recall being too impressed by it, but perhaps I need a reminder?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Put a Light On NEIPA by Whiskey Hill Brewing Co., Westmont, IL. Another local brewery I've not had previously. First time I recall seeing "Nelson Sauvin" hops, and I'm not quite sure what they taste like because the citra made this almost pure grapefruit juice. 7.75% ABV isn't bad for something not a DIPA.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm Did you try their M-43?
I did, but I can't see where I posted a review of it here. I don't recall being too impressed by it, but perhaps I need a reminder?
That's their claim to fame. I like it. It was the first NEIPA that made me accept that maybe that is a legit style and not just lazy brewing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm My wife and I had the day off yesterday and it was her birthday, so why not hit up our favorite little pub in the country for lunch?

Got to finally try a beer that make a big splash here last spring, M-43 from Old Nation Brewing Company. Impossible to find all summer...

I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!

This was really quite nice. Massive citrus hop flavor with very little hop bitterness. I only had two beers and both of them were this.

https://oldnationbrewing.com/beer/m-43/
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm My wife and I had the day off yesterday and it was her birthday, so why not hit up our favorite little pub in the country for lunch?

Got to finally try a beer that make a big splash here last spring, M-43 from Old Nation Brewing Company. Impossible to find all summer...

I'd been resistant to try the NE IPA style because, TBH, it sounds like lazy brewing to me. "Intentionally Cloudy" my ass...lazy brewing!

This was really quite nice. Massive citrus hop flavor with very little hop bitterness. I only had two beers and both of them were this.

https://oldnationbrewing.com/beer/m-43/
You are really good at copy and pasting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Searching and hitting quote, thank you very much. :coffee: