[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Z-Corn

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:07 pm
Lassr wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:46 pm Gathering Storm is not my favorite either, you can select the content you want to play if you choose create game from single player menu. Last game I selected Rise & Fall instead of Gathering Storm. You can also play standard without the addons.
I've probably asked this before: Does GS include R&F? As of a few days ago, GS was still selling for $35.
Nope, they are separate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't believe so. Their add-ons generally don't roll up previously released DLC. They do at times roll out all-inclusive "gold" or whatever editions, don't know if they've done so yet for Civ 6.
Black Lives Matter
T

Post by T »

GS contains all of the major game play features of R&F, just not the civs, leaders, wonders, etc.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

T wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 am GS contains all of the major game play features of R&F, just not the civs, leaders, wonders, etc.
Good, thanks. I thought I'd heard something like that before but couldn't remember. I might buy R&F, but not both unless they're bundled.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Finally bought civ vi. Last one i had was 4 so expecting a few changes. No road and rail building is throwing me lol
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:19 am Finally bought civ vi. Last one i had was 4 so expecting a few changes. No road and rail building is throwing me lol
roads are built by caravans on trade routes. So you have to strategically decide who to trade with in the first few years to build roads to your own cities. Or you could trade with your own cities but you get less income.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You can build roads with engineers. At first only like two hexes at a time before you need a new engineer. In the last DLC engineers have unlimited charges for building railroads.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I bit the bullet and got this one. I've started a game but haven't played it thru yet.
There are the two new civilizations, the Maya and the Gran Columbia and some new maps I think. (I don't remember if they were there or not), They've added the Apocalypse. If your world gets too polluted meteors from outer space fall on your world and wipe out mankind. Some new amenities and probably other things I haven't noticed yet.
They game updates automatically and I'm not sure what it free and what isn't.
Of course you have to buy the new civs. $39.95 and this is just round one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am I bit the bullet and got this one. I've started a game but haven't played it thru yet.
There are the two new civilizations, the Maya and the Gran Columbia and some new maps I think. (I don't remember if they were there or not), They've added the Apocalypse. If your world gets too polluted meteors from outer space fall on your world and wipe out mankind. Some new amenities and probably other things I haven't noticed yet.
I thought the $40 gets you all of the future ones as part of the package?
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So . . . guess what is free on the Epic store right now. :shock:
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yoink.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:32 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am I bit the bullet and got this one. I've started a game but haven't played it thru yet.
I thought the $40 gets you all of the future ones as part of the package?
Yes it does. Sorry I was unclear.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:08 pm So . . . guess what is free on the Epic store right now. :shock:
I went ahead grabbed it there even though I have it on Steam with all the DLC. Hey, why not it's free.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just watched a video of a guy playing the Mayans. He bragged about how good they were but he is a professional and could have done that good with any civ. The fun part was he produced as much pollution as he could. There at the end the giant meteorites rained down on the earth killing whole cites.Each on would make a crater of four hexes . Was really cool.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Playing civ Gran Colombia with the new game mode "apocalypse" turned on. Very power domination civ with the ability to attack and heal/promote on the same turn. They also get one extra movement for every unit. Really helps builders get to improvements quickly. Makes a difference in the early game. After a few turns I've seen a forest fire and meteorites. Very cool animations and sound.

Played close to 150 turns and having fun! I see they made some AI changes, which is always welcomed. And they changed how diplomacy victories work.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dare I ask what game mode Apocalypse is? Total war from the get-go?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm Just watched a video of a guy playing the Mayans. He bragged about how good they were but he is a professional and could have done that good with any civ. The fun part was he produced as much pollution as he could. There at the end the giant meteorites rained down on the earth killing whole cites.Each on would make a crater of four hexes . Was really cool.
Surely that has to be a random disaster and not a product of unchecked pollution?
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I grabbed the free copy from EGS, because why not. I also took advantage of the fact that the Civ VI: Platinum Edition Steam bundle is on sale for 72% off in order to pick up the Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm DLC at a decent price.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:58 pm I grabbed the free copy from EGS, because why not. I also took advantage of the fact that the Civ VI: Platinum Edition Steam bundle is on sale for 72% off in order to pick up the Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm DLC at a decent price.

I’m tempted to do that as well. Civ VI is one of those imgame I keep meaning to go back to, and just haven’t yet. Getting a bunch of DLC might change that.

EDIT: I tend to ignore most user feedback, unless it's particularly strong in one direction. Nearly all of the DLC packs in that the Platinum edition have extremely negative feedback. Are they actually bad, or are Civ VI fans just overly bitter?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm playing the Apocalypse mode now. It automatically sets the disasters mode to 4. (I wish it wouldn't do that) New disaster is a forest fire that spreads. No prevents and nothing to do but clean it up afterwards.
As for the meteors they come automatically once the sea levels raise to max. They come one at a time randomly (I guess). Eventually they wipe out everything so you better be close to winning when that happens.
Maize and honey seem to be the new amenities.
I'm playing Gran Columbia and the new units don't come in to later. (new general and heavy cav)

I think most of the negative feedback is people think they cost too much. And I think there is something to say about that.
But buy it or not, they don't give me any money for my feedback.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 pm EDIT: I tend to ignore most user feedback, unless it's particularly strong in one direction. Nearly all of the DLC packs in that the Platinum edition have extremely negative feedback. Are they actually bad, or are Civ VI fans just overly bitter?
Yeah, it's just the usual Civ review griping over DLC pricing, and sometimes specific balance issues. But all the DLC, imo, is what you'd expect from the series. New leaders and maps and such, with the main expansions having significant game changing systems to keep things fresh. By this point, I'd go with your gut on whether you have tended to enjoy past DLC - if so, you'll probably be ok with this batch.

I picked up the season pass. Am excited to get back to playing again. I like the Gran Colombia empire. Lots of fanatics crying that it's overpowered but they always say that. And you can find advantages with every civ. That's part of the game. So I'm enjoying my new rounds so far. I've got a GC/King game going, and my son and I started up a Prince level hot seat game - he's got GC and I'm playing Nubia (which I never tried before, but really like).

Haven't touched the apocalypse mode yet. Not really up my alley, just like that Battle Royale experiment they threw in recently. But who cares... there's plenty to keep me entertained.

Oh - and here's a link for the complete release notes for the expansion additions, and the free changes to the base game. As always - lots of details. (And my apologies, if someone already posted it - I was reading quickly).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've actually never bought Civ DLC before.

Will probably just stick with the base game for now and see how that goes. I always really enjoy the Civ early game, but really dislike the late-game slog. Between PC and iPad, I've started dozens of Civ VI games...and have yet to actually finish one. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm still figuring out the apocalypse mode. There's a new unit called soothsayers or something like that. You build them with faith and then take it to enemy lines and cause a random natural disaster. Causing damage to precious land and killing units. I think there is a way to promote them, but haven't figured it out yet. If I'm reading the patch notes correctly, there's a new win path by using them. I have built my first one. Still playing around with it. Once I get more into the end game, I want to see how the AI uses them. I don't want to spoil it from watching twitch or youtube. I'm excited to get into the end game, there's potential of disaster wars and meteors taking out cities. Fun!

I think the two expansions are great and a must have to get the full experience. Each adding a new layer of mechanics that makes the game more interesting and things to do. There are dead spots (boring) in the vanilla base game. I agree that the negativity is generally from pricing, which I have no issue with since I'm in the hundreds of hours range.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:08 pm So . . . guess what is free on the Epic store right now. :shock:
Son of a .... and I'm 35 hours in so can't return it on steam.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Bermuda Triangle..........teleports you somewhere else.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'll pick this up after finishing my current game. This has pretty much been the only game I've played for years, I have no problem with the pricing, it shakes out to about a penny per hour in the long run.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I picked up the game from Epic. If I want to get the DLC, do I have to get that from Epic as well, or can I buy it on Steam and it will somehow all just work?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 pm I picked up the game from Epic. If I want to get the DLC, do I have to get that from Epic as well, or can I buy it on Steam and it will somehow all just work?
You'll have to get it on Epic, unless Epic and Steam work out a deal to share licenses (which is not going to happen.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm
stessier wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 pm I picked up the game from Epic. If I want to get the DLC, do I have to get that from Epic as well, or can I buy it on Steam and it will somehow all just work?
You'll have to get it on Epic, unless Epic and Steam work out a deal to share licenses (which is not going to happen.)
Ah, bummer. Thanks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:58 pm I grabbed the free copy from EGS, because why not. I also took advantage of the fact that the Civ VI: Platinum Edition Steam bundle is on sale for 72% off in order to pick up the Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm DLC at a decent price.
That's the deal I've been waiting for. I don't care about the DLC but getting both expansions for $32 was too good to pass up. If a refreshed Civ6 can't get me back into gaming, nothing will.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 pm
That's the deal I've been waiting for. I don't care about the DLC but getting both expansions for $32 was too good to pass up. If a refreshed Civ6 can't get me back into gaming, nothing will.
If that doesn't float yer goat, consider another option: YMMV, but I find the Complete Edition of Civ 5 with the much-improved AI of the Vox Populi mod still provides for a deeper, more satisfying overall experience. Playing Vox Populi feels more akin to moving through history, whereas Civ 6 invariably ends up feeling more gamelike in comparison.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I polluted the world and all the comets are raining down on me. :D
It's fun to watch once but I can't see me doing this again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pollution = meteors makes no sense to me. Did they even bother to cook up a fiction for it? It sounds gamey.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:46 pm If that doesn't float yer goat, consider another option: YMMV, but I find the Complete Edition of Civ 5 with the much-improved AI of the Vox Populi mod still provides for a deeper, more satisfying overall experience. Playing Vox Populi feels more akin to moving through history, whereas Civ 6 invariably ends up feeling more gamelike in comparison.
Well, I just dropped $30 on Civ6 and I haven't played a game in almost a year, so that's where I'm going. I do like the districts model. But if I'm still a non-gamer after trying 6 once or twice, I'll consider your sugg.

There has been a ton of progress on GalCiv3 since I last played it, so that's on my list, too. As is Tropico 6. And I just installed The Witcher 3 a few days ago, but haven't started it up yet.

My gaming urge is stirring...it just doesn't know what to do. Civilization has been my go-to since I bought a 286 so I could play the first one. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I thought I might get time to play this weekend, but it seems the stormy weekend forecast was preempted by hot and sunny.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Yeah the very nice warm weather has certainly kept me outside. I’ve played some in the last couple of days.

Between the AI, learning Gran Colombia, and apocalypse mode I’ve lost two games. I play on emperor difficulty and I think the new mode makes it even more difficult which I think is a good thing.

One cool thing about meteorites. If one of your units finds land that was recently hit by meteors, the discovery gets you a new unit. Usually I think the unit is suppose to be one tier higher than what you have. I found one early around turn 25 and I got a heavy cart unit for free. No cost against my maintenance.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't quite understand submarines. They can be seen by barbarian bowmen?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:55 pm I don't quite understand submarines. They can be seen by barbarian bowmen?
Can they be sunk by a phalanx?
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just finished a Gathering Storm play and lost as Teddy Roosevelt got a diplomatic victory. That's the new victory condition in Gathering Storm. I thought i was cruising along to a scientific victory with a huge lead and Boom! I need to understand that victory a little better to see how it works I guess and not be caught off guard next time.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:17 am
dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:55 pm I don't quite understand submarines. They can be seen by barbarian bowmen?
Can they be sunk by a phalanx?
No, but they can be sunk by bowmen.

I tried what I think is a new map, Tilted Axis, which, like it says, has the tundra and snow go from the NW corner to the SE corner. Very weird.
Last edited by dbt1949 on Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Lassr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 am Just finished a Gathering Storm play and lost as Teddy Roosevelt got a diplomatic victory. That's the new victory condition in Gathering Storm. I thought i was cruising along to a scientific victory with a huge lead and Boom! I need to understand that victory a little better to see how it works I guess and not be caught off guard next time.
Yeah, I haven't had that happen to me yet, but it's something that I worry about in some playthroughs. Most closest call was with someone almost sneaking a religious victory past me. But with the changes to diplomacy and diplo victories, I'll have to be careful.

I've got two rounds running. My solo round as Gran Colombia, I've cleared my continent, and surveyed the rest of the world. Now, it's upgrading my troops, and moving them across the seas to get a foothold somewhere. The second round is a team game with my son, where we've almost eliminated the Aztecs, with Ghandi next up on the agenda. Then, there are still some unmet players floating around out in the shadows.