Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Z-Corn

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:11 pm Quibble: the Vanity Fair story casually calls Christian Reformed "Reformed," but that's inaccurate. The Reformed Church in America (in which I was raised) is a small, somewhat more liberal offshoot of the much stricter Christian Reformed Church. The RCA allowed dancing and watching movies, for example, whereas the CRC shunned them as "graven images" (but TV was fine, for some reason, except on Sundays). Anyway, us Reformed types took umbrage at being called Christian Reformed because we had reformed from them!
Interesting, I never knew there was a difference.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mick Mulvaney is likely out

grumpycatgood.jpg
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forbidden Mountain Dew Slurpee

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 pm All the cool kids are drinking hexavalent chromium these days.
WaPo
A bright greenish-yellow liquid gushed onto the side of a Michigan highway Friday, prompting a multiagency investigation that discovered the mystery substance was probably a chemical that is known to cause cancer.

The hexavalent chromium-contaminated water that rushed from a retaining wall onto Interstate 696 in the Detroit suburb of Madison Heights appeared to come from a shuttered electroplating business, said Jill Greenberg, a spokesperson for the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy.

The department forced the business, Electro-Plating Services, to close in 2016 after inspectors found hundreds of containers of hazardous waste at the site. The owner, Gary Sayers, is serving a year in federal prison after pleading guilty to illegally storing the waste.

Hexavalent chromium is usually created by an industrial process like plating or welding, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. It is toxic and particularly harmful to the respiratory system, kidneys, liver, skin and eyes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:shock:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Paging Erin Brockovich. Cleanup on highway 696.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Was this mis-posted? or am I missing something...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Is Slimer the new head of the EPA?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:25 pm Was this mis-posted? or am I missing something...
I had three options on where to go with it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I honestly struggle with so much that's related to Trump. Someone could make a career out of designing Venn diagrams for topic adjacency.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Haven't used this thread in a while, let's check in with Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross:
U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Thursday said the coronavirus outbreak in China could help bring jobs to America, a remark that was quickly criticized as insensitive to China’s plight.

“The fact is, it does give businesses another thing to consider when they do a review of their supply chains,” Mr. Ross said Thursday morning on Fox Business. “I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America, some to U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.”
Wow.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:51 pm Haven't used this thread in a while, let's check in with Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross:
U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Thursday said the coronavirus outbreak in China could help bring jobs to America, a remark that was quickly criticized as insensitive to China’s plight.

“The fact is, it does give businesses another thing to consider when they do a review of their supply chains,” Mr. Ross said Thursday morning on Fox Business. “I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America, some to U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.”
Wow.
I just read this and was about to post it myself. Only the classiest people in the Trump administration. Unfortunately, this is probably a selling point for far too many people in this country.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Even leaving aside the sheer ghoulish inhumanity of the statement, does Wilbur Ross think coronavirus will somehow drop U.S. labor costs to pennies on the dollar?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Veterans Affairs Department Deputy Secretary James Byrne was fired Monday, amid controversy over how the department handled a sexual assault allegation by a House staffer visiting a VA facility last year.

VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said he dismissed Byrne just five months after he was confirmed by the Senate “due to loss of confidence in Mr. Byrne’s ability to carry out his duties.”

Wilkie gave no further details of why ousted he Byrne, a 55-year-old Naval Academy graduate and former Marine infantry officer.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mulvany out, Meadows in as Chief of Staff:
President Donald Trump announced Friday night that acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney would be replaced by Republican Rep. Mark Meadows of North Carolina.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Guardian
The US education secretary, Betsy DeVos, has issued new rules on sexual assault in schools and colleges, handing more protections to those accused of assault and further reversing Obama-era guidance designed to protect college students.

The regulations, due to take effect in August, require colleges to hold live hearings, where victims and the accused can be cross-examined, in a move that equal rights groups argued “tips the scales in favor” of abusers. Schools will also be able to choose two different standards of evidence when assessing assault cases.

Victim rights groups condemned the new rules, saying they would reduce the rights of survivors of sexual assault. DeVos’s regulations are expected to be challenged in court.
The National Women’s Law Center said it planned to sue the Department of Education over the new rules.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lawsuit challenging non-confirmed, non-nominated appointees running Parks and Land Management:
In a federal lawsuit filed Monday, conservation groups allege the Trump administration's continued use of temporary appointees to lead large federal lands agencies is a violation of federal law and the Constitution's "advice and consent" clause.

The suit, filed by the Washington, D.C.-based Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility or PEER and the Idaho-based Western Watersheds Project, takes aim at the Bureau of Land Management and the National Park Service. Neither agency has had permanent, Senate-confirmed directors during the entire Trump presidency...

...Jenkins says the administration is circumventing federal law by continually extending the temporary appointments of David Vela at NPS and William Perry Pendley at the BLM. If either were actually named as 'acting' directors, Jenkins says, the Federal Vacancies Reform Act would bar them from serving more than 210 days. Both men have been at the helm of their respective agencies longer.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unreal. Bill Barr’s DOJ has dropped its insider trading investigations into Kelly Loeffler and other Senators. No charges will be filed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A funny thing happens when you politicize the DOJ, no one trusts that you didn't cook the investigation.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm
Unreal. Bill Barr’s DOJ has dropped its insider trading investigations into Kelly Loeffler and other Senators. No charges will be filed.
All that this tells me is that they must have some ironclad shit on Burr.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 pm
All that this tells me is that they must have some ironclad shit on Burr.
You have to remember that Burr is deeply unpopular in Trumpworld, because he allowed Russia investigates to proceed in the Senate - he refused to go full Nunes. So Trump wouldn't mind having Burr's head on a spike while Loeffler goes free, as a lesson to other GOP senators and representatives - support Trump and he'll be good to you, don't do what Trump wants and he'll bury you.

Now, did that happen in this case? Hard to say - it's at least possible that the evidence against Loeffler wasn't as compelling once closely examined. But this doesn't necessarily mean that the evidence against Burr is stronger, if Barr's tipping the scales as Trump would want.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, they ended the investigation into Feinstein too. Maybe that's just convenient cover though.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Well, they ended the investigation into Feinstein too. Maybe that's just convenient cover though.
You'll have to make the case that * selling * biotesh stock was somehow an unethical trade based on insider information to get Feinstein.

Tough to do, IMHO.

Loeffler on the other hand...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:Well, they ended the investigation into Feinstein too. Maybe that's just convenient cover though.
You'll have to make the case that * selling * biotesh stock was somehow an unethical trade based on insider information to get Feinstein.

Tough to do, IMHO.

Loeffler on the other hand...
Right, but if it was only about sending warnings to allies and enemies...

But true, she's an easy one to let go and like I said, it provides cover.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, it's Wednesday. Anyone have a bet on who the new IG will be this week?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am Welp, it's Wednesday. Anyone have a bet on who the new IG will be this week?
Well, if I'm playing the odds I'd say a white, male loyalist. Or a thin blonde female one.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

NEW story: We found more conspiracy and inflammatory tweets from Anthony Tata – the White Houses' pick to be the third ranking official at the Pentagon. Including sharing a conspiracy Obama was "Manchurian candidate" trying to take down America.
Every Trump pick should be assumed to be an unhinged MAGA cultist until proven otherwise.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just in case you thought I was exaggerating.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this is the best place for this? Try to remember the last time you can recall the AG attending a political rally.

U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr joined today's #BackTheBlue rally in McLean, Virginia!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Love the lack of masks, Bill Barr. Keep sharing the virus love!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They had free BBQ. It was close. Like he's going to miss that.

But isn't he the nation's top law enforcement officer? I get that BLM vs BTB is a political game but I don't know that supporting police it a purely political thing.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Do those people think they are minorities?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm Do those people think they are minorities?
The guy to Barr's left *might* be Hispanic. Or that might just be the lighting.

Maybe some of them have met someone who they think supports Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remember, it's quite the racist trope that people of a minority status need white people to think for them, as they can't be trusted to know what's in their own self interest.

On a side note, this is my current audiobook "read":

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:57 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm Do those people think they are minorities?

The one guy holding the minorities sign is mostly blocked by Barr. It's probable that he's a minority. No one else has similar signs, they have pro-police signs or flags.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:57 pm

The one guy holding the minorities sign is mostly blocked by Barr. It's probable that he's a minority. No one else has similar signs, they have pro-police signs or flags.
I'm going to assume they are Trump supporters, so that would make them a minority.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This seems like an appropriate statement by an AG. It's also an amazing bit of Trumpian projection.

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:36 pm This seems like an appropriate statement by an AG. It's also an amazing bit of Trumpian projection.
Especially as Barr is a religious zealot dedicated to Dominionist theology.

He doesn't give two shits about Trump's personal wealth. He's using America's first authoritarian president to enshrine Christian nationalism into law.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're interested in total victory
I mean, yes? I'm interested in total victory to the same degree that Americans achieved total victory against the Nazis in WW2.

Note: In my example the GOP are Nazis.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"They're not interested in compromise. They're not interested in [a] dialectic exchange of views. They're interested in total victory...It's a substitute for religion."
That ship sailed within about six years into the Obama presidency. In retrospect, it should have sailed long before. Probably, once it was realized that Palin wasn't an anomaly and Boehner, McConnell, the seeds of the Freedom Caucus started dismantling the all talks. So what, in 2011?