Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw the latest Star Wars movie. Okay but kind of silly.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just watched MARY (2019) on HULU in which Gary Oldman buys a haunted boat.

Why did I watch this? Two reasons. One, what the hell is Academy Award-winning actor Gary Oldman doing in a haunted boat movie? (Note: I never got the answer to this question). Second, the IMDB trivia contains a single item. That Gary Oldman replaced Nicolas Cage. :shock:

I'll have to say, I enjoyed this movie WAY more than I should have. The scares are telegraphed, and it never really rises above the simple premise. But dammit, it's Gary Oldman reacting to a ghost and that's just flat out entertaining. At a brisk 85 minutes, I found it a delightful little diversion.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I finally signed up for the free month of No Access and watched the first two eps of Picard last night. I think we'll be able to see all of Picard, all or most of Discovery, and the ST shorts before the month is up, and then most likely cancel it. It's surprising how little else CBS has that I care to see.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Independence Day: Resurgence - I was a big fan of the original when I was thirteen. Mind you... I was thirteen. But it had Jeff Goldblum, Brent Spiner, aliens, and explosions in it. As I matured I realized it was a fairly crappy film and I learned to loathe the mainstream disaster movie template it exemplified.

But you always have a soft spot for the films you loved growing up, and I was pretty surprised not to hate the sequel. It wasn't good. But I didn't find myself checking my watch. It legitimately held my interest for the most part. I was delighted to see Brent Spiner return and be given even more screen time than in the original. In fact I was shocked at the overall number of returning cast members twenty years later, even if their presence was sometimes inexplicable (e.g. Judd Hirsch conveniently driving a school bus to the location of the climax). The film sorely missed Will Smith though, and the Chinese actor (Angelababy) featured for marketing purposes sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't see why Chinese performers can't be integrated into modern blockbusters organically, but it rarely comes off that way. Of course, the writing for most of the other characters wasn't anything special either.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:44 pm I finally signed up for the free month of No Access and watched the first two eps of Picard last night. I think we'll be able to see all of Picard, all or most of Discovery, and the ST shorts before the month is up, and then most likely cancel it. It's surprising how little else CBS has that I care to see.
Are those series at an end, then?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:28 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:44 pm I finally signed up for the free month of No Access and watched the first two eps of Picard last night. I think we'll be able to see all of Picard, all or most of Discovery, and the ST shorts before the month is up, and then most likely cancel it. It's surprising how little else CBS has that I care to see.
There's a second season of Picard in production. IDK about Discovery. I might re-join when the second Picard season is finished, if I like the first one well enough. The jury's still out on that.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just saw the movie Haider on Netflix. It's an adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet taking place in modern-day Kashmir. Though it's been a long time since I've read Hamlet, I remember enough of it to identify many of the movie's parallels in characters and dialogue. I enjoyed seeing the movie's twists on the play's themes, set amidst the tragic backdrop of a disputed territory. And this time, we get to witness what happens to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I was a little disappointed by the finale, but in general the movie is innovative, beautifully shot, and well-acted. I think ole Willy would be proud.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just finished watching "Queen and Slim," which is sort of a black "Bonnie and Clyde." Speaking as an old white dude, I thought it was pretty great.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:28 pm
There's a second season of Picard in production. IDK about Discovery. I might re-join when the second Picard season is finished, if I like the first one well enough. The jury's still out on that.

There's another season of Discovery on the way, due sometime this year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Browsing Amazon movies last night, I asked my son if he wanted to watch the latest Spider Man. "Maybe tomorrow." I keep browsing, and the next one I asked, he said "yes, yes I do want to watch that."

So we watched Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:07 pm Legend

Tom Hardy plays the Kray twins.
Watched this one tonight with the wife. Hardy is definitely an excellent actor, pulling off both roles as distinct characters. It's no Godfather, but it was certainly an enjoyable two hours.

it is up on Netflix, so it's a low bar for anyone else that's interested.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I watched Twelve Monkeys the other night, it seemed to feel a bit "creepier" now as opposed to the other times I've watched it. :violin:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I got stuck into the Dark series on Netflix over the weekend.

It's a quirky, mind-bending German series that largely revolves around the concepts of time travel and paradoxes. One tip I would offer to those interested though, is to seriously consider using the option for descriptive English audio. I found that helped immensely with keeping track of all the different character and family identities across various time periods and such. Otherwise you may need a written family tree to memorize them all. It's surprisingly well done though, and certainly lives up to its name.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I watched The Plot Against America on HBO, based on the book of the same name by Philip Roth. I stopped reading Roth some time ago because I was tired of reading about the sexual frustrations of octogenarian Jewish men, but the book had really good reviews and there was a little buzz about the show.

It was a six episode limited series set in an alternate America before entering WWII. Charles Lindbergh runs against FDR on an anti-war platform. He's also rumored to be an anti-Semite and a Nazi sympathizer. Lindbergh wins, and things go bad for the Jewish family in Newark at the center of the story. The biggest names in the cast are Winona Ryder and John Turturro. Turturro is a rabbi from South Carolina (I was wondering about his accent until this was mentioned) who is an advisor to Lindbergh and tries to convince people that he's not really an anti-Semite.

This was really well written, acted, and produced. It lacks much of the pizazz that accompanies a lot of the hit shows these days, and it has a very slow burn (although the final episode ramps up the tension significantly). Without going too far into R&P, it also has a strong parallel to today's political climate. It's probably not a great late night show given the pace, but it's well worth watching.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've been watching Baptiste on PBS Mystery the last few weeks. It's feels like a cross between Bourne as a senior citizen, Hercule Poirot, and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. https://shop.pbs.org/masterpiece-myster ... ct/MS61906
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Finally watching Contagion on HBO. We'll see how long I'll last but it's pretty good. Horrifying but good. The lab stuff isn't bugging me out like other shows or movies so far that take absurd liberties with the science.

Edit: Yeah this is fucking grim. I’ll finish it out but gonna have to watch Clone Wars or something else afterwards.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thank you, TCM: From Earth to the Moon (1958), based on the Jules Verne story, was a fun ride. I almost didn't snag it because I'd conflated it with H.G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon (1964), which I'd already seen. If you like old B movies, it's still worth its runtime. You'll be amazed how prescient Verne's science was.
Last edited by Kraken on Sun May 03, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Slack I’m hanging out on does movie night. Last night was Swiss Army Man. Tonight was He Never Died.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I know the trailer was posted somewhere around here, but I can't find it. Watched Free Fire this evening with Brie Larson. A nice 70's shootout film set in a warehouse.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've been watching episodes of American Experience on PBS's website. Excellent historical documentary series. From the Spanish Flu and Polio, to Sealab and the Space Race, to the gilded age and much more. About the only negative I have is that the audio on the three part space-race documentary is poor (the music is too loud and makes it difficult to understand what's being said, and the archival audio quality isn't great).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've been watching We're Here on HBO. We watch on Saturday noonish after brunch. It's like the feel-good-cry portion of the week for us.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, I got back on Netflix. So what do I watch for the first thing? I'm binge watching Lucifer.
Damn but I love that show!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You should check out the Neflix-specific thread. (We have too many TV threads!)

I just got done watching Kim's Convenience, a Canadian comedy series. It's as good as everyone had been saying. The first three seasons on Netflix, and then the fourth on CBC's own Gem streaming app (probably only available in Canada). The app is pretty primitive, but it works.

On Netflix, I think I may try Snowpiercer next. I was looking for Nick Offerman's American Ham special and The Killing (specifically the U.S. version), but they don't appear to be on Canadian Netflix anymore even though they seemed to be Netflix productions?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife really loved The Killing. Watched it through a couple times or more. I remember The Rocketeer being in it :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm pushing through my netflix DVD queue preparatory to switching it over to streaming. Most of the movies I want are on Wait and I've pared some of the older TV series to get the queue down from 90+ to 50-ish. Last week I got the first disc of Stranger Things and was quickly hooked. Will quickly go thru S2. After that, it'll be streaming; S3 isn't out on DVD yet and it's a netflix original.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow, I miss DVD by mail. There's still so much you can't stream, and I don't like to torrent. So I usually look for "free" steams, but that can be a challenge. Of course, I prefer to stream legally. I'm subscribed to Neflix, Prime, and Crave (Canadian site owned by Bell; partnered with HBO and Showtime). And then my little sister shared her Disney+ with us. I usually limit it to a couple of services at a time, but I've been lazy and am meaning to make an Amazon order soon anyway.

I remember in the early 2000s I'd still frequent the local mom & pop, and the Blockbuster where my buddy worked. I'd sometimes rent five or ten movies at a time. This was pre-marriage when I had the time to be a movie buff. I heard about Netflix and was so excited, but it took a while for a Canadian version to emerge. When it did, I was all over it. Soon Zip.ca took over the market--they operated from 2004 until 2014. They had the biggest selection. Frustratingly, they cancelled my account after too many discs went missing en route to me. This really pissed me off... I even wrote a forum message to the CEO begging him to reinstate me if I paid for the missing titles. I get they had to cut their losses, but I was 100% blameless. I lived in an apartment at the time, so it's not as if they were being stolen after delivery.

After that I found a smaller service out of Manitoba. They didn't have the same selection but they were pretty good. Eventually we just stopped watching DVDs... I put my account on vacation mode, and neglected to return my final discs. I felt bad about that. A half-watched Public Enemies (2009) and the movie in which the guy from Dawson's Creek and Fringe gets cancer and rides a motorcycle or something. (Don't think we ever watched that one.) I think they folded soon after.

Since then, it's been all streaming. No cable. Didn't even hook up our DVD player when we moved a couple years ago. I got a Blu-Ray drive in my latest PC but haven't used it. Pick up the odd Blu-Ray at Value Village if it's one of our favourite films, but I doubt we'll ever watch them at this point.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks to the magic of HBO Max I started the pilot to Doom Patrol. Wow, what a great start to a series and hope the quality keeps up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

$iljanus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 am Thanks to the magic of HBO Max I started the pilot to Doom Patrol. Wow, what a great start to a series and hope the quality keeps up.
Doom Patrol was fantastic although the weirdness quotient might have gotten to be a little much by the very end. But I super enjoyed and looking forward to second season.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Watching Grant documiniseries on History Channel. Last one is tonight and I am really digging it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 am Wow, I miss DVD by mail. There's still so much you can't stream, and I don't like to torrent.
It still exists and I still like it. Netflix has 100,000 titles on DVD vs. 6,000 streaming (as of a year ago), and we tend to like older and more obscure shows and movies. But their DVD turnaround time has gotten slower, more discs arrive in poor condition, and half of my queue is marked "short wait" or "long wait," so it's hard to control what I get and when. It seems like netflix would rather not be in the DVD mailing business anymore.

My main complaint about streaming is the lack of one-stop shopping. Netflix DVDs used to approximate that. They still do, just less and less reliably. (The picture quality is inferior, too, but as somebody who enjoys old b&w films I don't care if the picture isn't super-sharp.)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

morlac wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am Watching Grant documiniseries on History Channel. Last one is tonight and I am really digging it.
Indeed, it's very well crafted. Which is no surprise really, given that it's based upon Ron Chernow's terrific Grant biography.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:23 am
Sudy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 am Wow, I miss DVD by mail. There's still so much you can't stream, and I don't like to torrent.
It still exists and I still like it. Netflix has 100,000 titles on DVD vs. 6,000 streaming (as of a year ago), and we tend to like older and more obscure shows and movies. But their DVD turnaround time has gotten slower, more discs arrive in poor condition, and half of my queue is marked "short wait" or "long wait," so it's hard to control what I get and when. It seems like netflix would rather not be in the DVD mailing business anymore.

My main complaint about streaming is the lack of one-stop shopping. Netflix DVDs used to approximate that. They still do, just less and less reliably. (The picture quality is inferior, too, but as somebody who enjoys old b&w films I don't care if the picture isn't super-sharp.)
They didn't want to be in the DVD mailing business years ago when they tried to spin off the physical media arm from the streaming arm.

The lack of 4K mailing options means I continue to no longer subscribe to the disc option. But I did notice that the quality of the discs started to slide drastically at the end of my run with them.
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

morlac wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am Watching Grant documiniseries on History Channel. Last one is tonight and I am really digging it.
Seems to be doing a really good job of explaining the Western Theater which I didn't know much about other than a visit to Lookout Mountain once.

Also seems like it would have been a really really good idea to hire a substitute to take your place as the draft laws allowed. :horse:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Malificent wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am
$iljanus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:16 am Thanks to the magic of HBO Max I started the pilot to Doom Patrol. Wow, what a great start to a series and hope the quality keeps up.
Doom Patrol was fantastic although the weirdness quotient might have gotten to be a little much by the very end. But I super enjoyed and looking forward to second season.
This pushed me to give it a try. I'd heard it was well received, but initially assumed it was just another cable DC series. It's not. This is not a family friendly show. (Not good or bad per se, but means they have a lot more freedom.)

I know nothing of the source material, so I'm sure the show may subvert my expectations. After watching only the pilot, some musings:
Spoiler:

- I never much appreciated Brendan Fraser in the past, but it was interesting to see an older, chunkier Fraser. I'm not going to google it because I don't want spoilers, but I presume he and Bomer are not doing mo-cap or costume work for their characters, and are effectively only doing voice-over outside of flashbacks. I'd be impressed if they were.

- I presume some of this will be explained, but why are most of these characters seemingly ageless? Especially Dalton's character, who didn't seem to noticeably age between 1996 and 2019. It seems very strange without an answer being hinted at. Though I know with at least some of them it's going to be due to their "powers".

- On that note, it seems strange the characters seemingly developed so little in those 23 years. Though I understand why they were hermits, and some of them had been there much longer.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:26 am
Malificent wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am
This pushed me to give it a try. I'd heard it was well received, but initially assumed it was just another cable DC series. It's not. This is not a family friendly show. (Not good or bad per se, but means they have a lot more freedom.)

I know nothing of the source material, so I'm sure the show may subvert my expectations. After watching only the pilot, some musings:
Spoiler:

- I never much appreciated Brendan Fraser in the past, but it was interesting to see an older, chunkier Fraser. I'm not going to google it because I don't want spoilers, but I presume he and Bomer are not doing mo-cap or costume work for their characters, and are effectively only doing voice-over outside of flashbacks. I'd be impressed if they were.

- I presume some of this will be explained, but why are most of these characters seemingly ageless? Especially Dalton's character, who didn't seem to noticeably age between 1996 and 2019. It seems very strange without an answer being hinted at. Though I know with at least some of them it's going to be due to their "powers".

- On that note, it seems strange the characters seemingly developed so little in those 23 years. Though I understand why they were hermits, and some of them had been there much longer.
Spoiler:
I presume he and Bomer are not doing mo-cap or costume work for their characters, and are effectively only doing voice-over outside of flashbacks. I'd be impressed if they were.
They are not in the costumes, and are just doing voice-over, but there is no mo-cap involved. Just guys in suits.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoiler:
I'm impressed then, Robotman looks really good for a costume. Obviously there's not a lot of emoting going on there, and I was certain the production couldn't afford a digital character, but credit to the actual person inside and Fraser's voice work then. Early on he's the most sympathetic character by far, despite being respulsive pre-accident.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Started watching Humans on Amazon Prime. It takes a few episodes to ramp up, but now I am hooked. I don't care much for Laura, but I love me some William Hurt.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watched a giant python vs. stupid big alligator last night on my 3 year old's insistence (and it starred both Tiffany and Debbie Gibson!) She loves snakes right now , and it was so funny listening to her narrative as the movie went on. Then it hit a dry spell of too much dialog and she lost interest. So...snake porn.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've decided that I need a new show. I've bounced off of everything I've tried lately (save for Lost in Space, which I loved.)

Something with a real story and characters, fun without being silly, serious without being unrelentingly dark (this is the hardest thing to find - why do people love such dismal shows these days?)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was going to recommend Final Space, but it gets kinda dark.

Chookity pok.