Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm I was quite excited to get a "congratulations for 15-years" card from work today.

I'll tell ya...nothing conveys the company's gratitude for a decade and a half of working here quite like a $50 Amazon gift card. :lol:
Kraken Enterprises Inc. turns 15 in August. I wonder if it will get me anything nice. I've decided to let it show a profit this year, so it ought to be grateful.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm I was quite excited to get a "congratulations for 15-years" card from work today.

I'll tell ya...nothing conveys the company's gratitude for a decade and a half of working here quite like a $50 Amazon gift card. :lol:
When I hit my 20 years a few years back, I got a 23" LG TV for my reward. I mounted it in the bedroom (nice) and had DirecTV (an affiliate of my corporate overlords, of course) out to hook it up to the system. I told the guy that this was the reward for 20 years with the company and he quipped, "What, an inch for each year?"
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 pm When I hit my 20 years a few years back, I got a 23" LG TV for my reward. I mounted it in the bedroom (nice) and had DirecTV (an affiliate of my corporate overlords, of course) out to hook it up to the system. I told the guy that this was the reward for 20 years with the company and he quipped, "What, an inch for each year?"
Mine was a 27" Samsung. I was happy for it. I was still on a 24" tube TV that was dying. The crappy thing was then I had to get a new TiVo and then the new TiVo wouldn't work without a cable card. All my latent upgrading fears were coming true. So now that I have that new TiVo and cable card, my cable expenses are through the roof and I keep going back to cutting the cord and making that TiVo useless. HBO Max might be the final catalyst. If they have all of the Adult Swim available for stream, that pretty much is the last of my hold out beyond "it's nice just to turn on the TV"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I hit ten years next month. I firmly expect no one to notice. Except HR and my manager, who will be reminded by the end of the year that I'm now eligible for a fourth week of vacation. Unless company policy has changed. That won't feel like a vacation anyway because I'll continue to be on call 24/7 in a critically under-trained and under-staffed department. That is, if legitimate time taken off for stress and mental health reasons doesn't deplete my vacation bank in the first place. I need a new job. :wink:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

When you work for the government, you get a pin and a piece of paper, and you LIKE IT.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm not complaining ($50 is always appreciated), I just found it funny in a "Jelly of the Month Club" sort of way. It covered most of the cost of the Street Masters board game, which will be here Saturday.

Anyone else always wake up with completely random songs running through their heads? Songs that you haven't heard in years and would never actually choose to listen to? It's become almost a daily occurance for me lately. Earlier this week, it was "Ghostbusters". Yesterday, it was "Joseph's Coat" from Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, today I woke up humming "Jessie's Girl" for some damn reason.

I have no idea how these songs are getting lodged in my subconscious, but I wish they'd stop.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am HBO Max might be the final catalyst. If they have all of the Adult Swim available for stream, that pretty much is the last of my hold out beyond "it's nice just to turn on the TV"
It's there.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:arrow: okWell sitting at the service station while the car gets its oil changed. Too hot inside so outside in a shadow area and a breeze where it's cool. There some wildish cats out here with me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:27 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am HBO Max might be the final catalyst. If they have all of the Adult Swim available for stream, that pretty much is the last of my hold out beyond "it's nice just to turn on the TV"
It's there.
All of it? They just R&M and then say sign up for a trial. As WFH continues, upgrading my Internet seems inevitable at this point, so making the call at the same time as cutting the cord is looking very good.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Looks like it's Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks, Primal, Home Movies, Metalocalypse, Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, Samurai Jack, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I thought it was more than that, but that's all I'm seeing out there right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:26 am Looks like it's Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks, Primal, Home Movies, Metalocalypse, Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, Samurai Jack, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I thought it was more than that, but that's all I'm seeing out there right now.
:( but it still might be catalyst (In addition to the existing need to upgrade my Internet). $15 a month exchange for HBO programming and movies could keep me distracted when I need to TV to distract me for quite some time and at least I'd get to keep R&M.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:13 am Anyone else always wake up with completely random songs running through their heads? Songs that you haven't heard in years and would never actually choose to listen to?
Yep. Legit keeps me from sleeping.

I usually have to give in and start reading to take my mind off it so I can fall back asleep.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I go back and forth with waking up with a random song in my head out of nowhere and associating a song with an action.

I don't think I've woken up with a random song since near the beginning of Work From Home/Furlough/Work from Home/Furlough, repeat...

As my newest beginning of the day routing is now making coffee and eggs at home my stupid brain starts singing "Give me three eggs, give me three eggs mister" as I start the coffee and warm the skillet every morning. Every. Morning. You would shoot me if I put you through that. And yet stupid brain, obsessively does it. Every. Morning.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Home. Got the tail light replaced so I wont get a ticket and the oil changed so the engine doesn't blow. Ran some errands. I splurged and treated myself to a pizza and wings. Got home and they had left my dipping sauces out. So get free sauce next time. Not sure when. Its been a year since I could afford a pizza as is. Maybe if I just get wings sometime.

Wasn't able to find house shoes that I wanted or the flywheel keys for the mower blade. But since I also couldn't find a wrench to take the blade off with it doesn't matter. I9ll just have to order a wrench online and probably mow with a dull blade next week. I wonder if harbor freight has good wrenches and if they ship?

EDIT: First pizza in a year and first town food Ive had since all this COVID started. And they forget my dip. I have mayo and stuff at home. I wonder if I can make some dip?
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri May 29, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm As my newest beginning of the day routing is now making coffee and eggs at home my stupid brain starts singing "Give me three eggs, give me three eggs mister" as I start the coffee and warm the skillet every morning. Every. Morning. You would shoot me if I put you through that. And yet stupid brain, obsessively does it. Every. Morning.
Goddammit...now I'm humming "Gimme Three Steps".

I hate you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm looking at the pizza I ordered double pepperoni but Id say its just the regular amount on it. Sucks. But they did make up for it with the amount of jalapeno they put on it. I mean lots..and it HOT jalapeno . I like it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm As my newest beginning of the day routing is now making coffee and eggs at home my stupid brain starts singing "Give me three eggs, give me three eggs mister" as I start the coffee and warm the skillet every morning. Every. Morning. You would shoot me if I put you through that. And yet stupid brain, obsessively does it. Every. Morning.
Goddammit...now I'm humming "Gimme Three Steps".

I hate you.
You started it. If it's of any consequence someone asked me if I'm OK and gonna stay OK after announcing I was taking my leave from facebook and asked if anyone contact info. I informed them that "I have my books and poetry to protect me." Now I'm stuck with "I am a Rock" in my head.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well seems online buying of a wrench is out. No site states the length of the wrenches. I need one at leas ta foot long. Its for my mower blade and not only is it on there tight but the flywheel key looks to have sheared off and the blade adapter is sideways to the shaft. Not only is it dangerous to use but I have to but also its putting extra pressure on that nut.

Ok who is the smartass that named lawnmower parts nuts, shafts, and bolts?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just spent $300 getting my riding lawnmower and my pushmower fixed. The riding lawnmower was pretty much rebuilt.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So the owner that struck last time in wanting me to develop an Intranet site (which is still painfully underdeveloped and barely in an Alpha stage, let alone "running") is now considering tasking me with video editing. Because that's what IT is good at? I've always said my motto was "If it you can plug it in, I can support it" - but not "If you can install it, I can do anything for you"

Marketing is what she's looking for here, not IT. Marketing. Marketing people have artistic flair and time to make things look just so by revision 12. IT people get shit done and move on to the next task. We don't want to keep touching a project once we've finished it unless it breaks or needs an update. Until she took over the business we had a couple people putting their heads together in a Marketing team of sorts. Then she killed the role for both of them and took it all for herself - now it's too much and she has no one to offload anything to. It really might be time to look at someone for Marketing, even if part time. They'll have time to make this a priority. I don't really.

I responded with "If you've got three videos you want spliced together in a specific order, I can get that done in a snap. If you want someone to gracefully edit, do quick cuts, engage people with graphics, and create a quality finished video that looks professional ... that's over my head."

I mean ... what's next? "Hey, he knows how to set up a network and manage it. Let's tap him to use AutoCAD to create this new product for us." ... Yes, I'm smart. Yes, I can technically learn any software. No, that does NOT mean I'll be good at it. It also doesn't make me a bad IT worker. It just makes me a bad product designer, web designer, or video editor - titles and roles I didn't apply for.

I still expect to have it dumped on my desk. :grund:
Last edited by Paingod on Fri May 29, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:27 pm I just spent $300 getting my riding lawnmower and my pushmower fixed. The riding lawnmower was pretty much rebuilt.
We were planning to try and start saving for a used riding mower but didn't get to. Lots of places in this town that work on mowers and have them. Will have to wait on a 2nd stimulus or the house paid off.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got a carry-on bag. It was a pretty nice carry-on bag, but still a carry-on bag. I hit 20 in two years, we'll see if I get an even nicer carry-on bag!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I got a carry-on bag. It was a pretty nice carry-on bag, but still a carry-on bag. I hit 20 in two years, we'll see if I get an even nicer carry-on bag!
I'll offer you $50 for it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably better than the Fallout 4 Collectors bag :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:37 pm Well seems online buying of a wrench is out. No site states the length of the wrenches. I need one at leas ta foot long. Its for my mower blade and not only is it on there tight but the flywheel key looks to have sheared off and the blade adapter is sideways to the shaft. Not only is it dangerous to use but I have to but also its putting extra pressure on that nut.
FWIW, a piece of pipe can add length to any wrench in a pinch. What size wrench do you need?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What does everyone else use for pillows on their couch? We actually recline and watch TV on our couch (which is old and has very little padding on the arms), and the usual 'decorative' pillows aren't meant for actual use. They fall apart or go flat after a few months. Bed pillows are more comfy, but look terrible.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We have a few throw pillows. They do tend to get a bit squished. But we don't use the couch much, so they generally can just be fluffed back up. Sorry, not really very useful.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:45 pm What does everyone else use for pillows on their couch? We actually recline and watch TV on our couch (which is old and has very little padding on the arms), and the usual 'decorative' pillows aren't meant for actual use. They fall apart or go flat after a few months. Bed pillows are more comfy, but look terrible.
Just any old pillows in the old days. I always preferred bed pillows. But the last few years I actually used a rest pillow or reading pillow. Like the one in the pic im posting but cheaper.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Did you know that's called a husband? True fact.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:18 am Did you know that's called a husband? True fact.
Did you know what they are all made out of?
Spoiler:
Husband Material
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

turned on WCCO video footage to see my old neighborhood (Lyndale & Lake, in South Minneapolis) with several uncontrolled large fires. really crazy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pants right or left?

Which leg do you put on first?

Im a lefty. Trying to do right first feels totally off and makes me feel off for a bit afterwards if I do try it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I jump into my pants like a fireman.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Umm... left?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pants?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:31 amPants?
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:45 pm What does everyone else use for pillows on their couch? We actually recline and watch TV on our couch (which is old and has very little padding on the arms), and the usual 'decorative' pillows aren't meant for actual use. They fall apart or go flat after a few months. Bed pillows are more comfy, but look terrible.
I know this doesn't really speak to what your are looking for but: We don't really have a couch. Since it's just Jen and I, we bought a pair of Home Theater style seats. These things are leather, recline, have built in cup holders, rotating platforms for setting plates or anything else on, storage space, LED lighting, and even USB charging ports.

I just installed a remote power-on/off switch for our media server so that, along with a wireless keyboard/trackpad, means I don't have to get out of my seat to fire up the PC so we can stream any and all media.

Which reminds me, I also have an 8TB NAS connected to my server and I need to rip all of my DVD/Blu-Rays to digital format and storage.
Can anybody recommend a good ripping program? I've tried a few free ones but so far they all have various issues or don't really work for me.
Last edited by Brian on Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Facebook just sent me a reminder that someone invited me to "like" something. Man, this is like getting a flyer to remind me to read my junk mail.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell, I just need to get a decent blu-ray player. The PC is hit or miss on which disks will play properly (thanks, Sony) and the PS4 is such a pain to set up and switch around that we usually don't bother with it. Unfortunately for shows with a lot of dark content (IE - dark rooms, space, etc), streaming just doesn't work well as it tends to compress dark scenes badly, even on the highest streaming settings.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 pm Facebook just sent me a reminder that someone invited me to "like" something. Man, this is like getting a flyer to remind me to read my junk mail.
hahahaha yesterday I saw someone had posted "Stop sending me these stupid 'share and like' spam things. I dont share or like them and they can allow you to be hacked".....today I scroll down and see 4 or 5 of those same type spam things lol. Gave me a chuckle.

When I see one of those that says "I bet not one of you will share this" I nod and say yup Im not and move on.