What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:52 am Before we moved, there was a paved river trail near our house. I used to go rollerblading every single day after work to stay in shape. Project Pitchfork's "Daiminion" album was my CD of choice to slap in my portable CD player.
I remember buying that album (I might have had to import it?) after finding one of their EPs in a downtown used CD shop's industrial section and blindly buying it. I think it was Corps d'Amour, but listening to the songs now they're not familiar. Maybe I heard the Timekiller single somewhere and that's what caused me to order it?

Discovering and shopping for music was so much different back then. I'd go downtown and hit all the used CD stores (we had some in the suburbs but their selection was limited), often coming home with 10-15 discs. I'd grab any names I'd remotely heard of in the industrial section, only sometimes asking to sample the CDs in-store on my discman. I would buy pretty much anything I saw on Metropolis Records.

I was so pissed off that time I found an Atomic Bitchwax album, only to get home and find an INXS's Kick disc inside the jewel case. I called the store to ensure I could return it. The sales associate agreed with me that INXS was very much not The Atomic Bitchwax.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:48 am Discovering and shopping for music was so much different back then. I'd go downtown and hit all the used CD stores (we had some in the suburbs but their selection was limited), often coming home with 10-15 discs. I'd grab any names I'd remotely heard of in the industrial section, only sometimes asking to sample the CDs in-store on my discman. I would buy pretty much anything I saw on Metropolis Records.
Mrs. Skinypupy and I were talking about this the other day, as we drove by an old "CD Warehouse" store that has since been converted to an insurance office.

Agonizing over what CD's I didn't listen to enough and was willing to trade in, seeing how much credit they'd give me, then digging through their used bins (sometimes for hours) was kinda awesome. I would buy lots of albums from the "metal" and "industrial" sections knowing nothing about what the music actually was, but simply because I thought the cover art was cool. Some of my best finds from obscure bands came that way.

While it is nice to be able to have any album I want at my fingertips in seconds, I do miss the old ways a little bit. Music felt far less "disposable" back then. If I bought an album, I was damn sure going to listen to it a hundred times because my choices and budget were far more limited and it was more of a process to actually get the album.

(It's worth noting that I have a very similar feeling about video games these days.)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I kinda miss musical chairs. The drummer still kills me. :D

SHOES MUST BE WORN
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Waiting for the Dropkick Murphys livestream concert from Fenway starting at 6.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcIRZx ... 1fu4pfqFRg

I love some of the comments on the YouTube page:

-What’s keeping them?
-Your mom!

-Did they get stuck on the MBTA

And of course,

-Yankees suck!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

freelunch wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:04 pm Enlarge Image

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:56 am
While it is nice to be able to have any album I want at my fingertips in seconds, I do miss the old ways a little bit. Music felt far less "disposable" back then. If I bought an album, I was damn sure going to listen to it a hundred times because my choices and budget were far more limited and it was more of a process to actually get the album.
this is really why i don't subscribe to any streaming service. that feeling of 'disposability' is something i am avoiding as much as i can.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm I kinda miss musical chairs. The drummer still kills me. :D

SHOES MUST BE WORN
One of my favorite concerts of the last 10 years was Silversun at the Welmont in Montclair. This is a band that frankly needs to be cranked on a great system, heard live, or on expensive headsets to be truly appreciated. Live or in the proper setup the sound engineering on this album in particular is just out of this world.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Earlier this year, I was scoping out shows to see them locally, yes. Suddenly...pandemic. I've really come to enjoy the hell out of their library and the live (and acoustic) stuff I've seen/heard on Youtube is just as impressive as the recorded albums.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:19 am Earlier this year, I was scoping out shows to see them locally, yes. Suddenly...pandemic. I've really come to enjoy the hell out of their library and the live (and acoustic) stuff I've seen/heard on Youtube is just as impressive as the recorded albums.
I had many shows lined up for this year. Which is fun because TM basically robbed us of the money but fuck TM. What's new. At least, I got Sleater-Kinney in at the Troc Fillmore late last year. Good last shows before the world of live music ended.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Given how things are turning out this year, those of us who were on the 70k cruise could very well see more live music than anyone else on the planet in 2020.

I saw 52 sets that first week in January. Highly doubt I’ll see any other live shows for the rest of the year.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:23 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:56 am
this is really why i don't subscribe to any streaming service. that feeling of 'disposability' is something i am avoiding as much as i can.
I don’t pay to subscribe to any, but I do use free Spotify and Bandcamp streams quite often.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think a part of me appreciates these strange luddite ways, but it also seems like refusing to buy a television because you respect venturing out to the cinema too much. I often lament how having over a thousand titles on Steam has contributed to my loss of interest in gaming, but I don't really long to go back to blind-buying four used SNES titles a year with my birthday and holiday money.

Not that anyone should gatekeep how you enjoy your media. It's an interesting conversation. I miss aspects of the experience of collecting physical albums or even downloading through limited services. But I subscribed to Spotify soon after trying it, and have never looked back. Finding a rare recording after months of searching was rewarding, but I wouldn't call it fun. There's way too much music out there to listen to before I die. I want access to as much as I can get. I do feel bad about how little artists make from streaming, but they weren't making anything when I bought 95% used.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I find I keep throwing this on. I think I like it but I know I don't really get it:

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

New Fightmilk, which I just discovered came out in March and I missed it.

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cut-down performance of two remarkably prescient Chvrches songs:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The full new Alestorm came out last week. I'd been dreading it a bit since hearing the singles, but now that it's here, I'm pleasantly surprised. Most of the non-single tracks are more traditional Alestorm fare. But the tone tends to jump around from track to track. The chiptune bonus disc is a lot of fun... some of the tracks I like less sound really good here. It's a bit much to have each song re-done in this way, but hey, it's a bonus. And it's not like it's dog sounds.

My favourite track early on is Wooden Leg Part 2 (The Woodening), a sequel to the song from Sunset on the Golden Age. It's lyrically silly, musically serious, and thematically interesting. It sounds more like a Gloryhammer song.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Don't remember if I've posted this one or not.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found some old guitar riffs that still stand up today. Kids this is what your grandpas listened to.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

PIG - Flesh Feast

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Orphaned Land - All Is One

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Let it Go from the Frozen soundtrack. Over and over and over. My 3 year old is trying to master the lyrics, but at her age, it's a lengthy process and she doesn't quite understand all of the words so she mumbles over some passages.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:59 am Orphaned Land - All Is One

:wub: :wub: I love Orphaned Land. My favorite song of theirs.

Or a belly dance version featuring a stunningly beautiful dancer, if you prefer

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:46 pm :wub: :wub: I love Orphaned Land. My favorite song of theirs.
Yeah! I'd heard them once before but didn't get into them. Came upon them again last night and was hooked. The Cave was another of their songs I bookmarked.

They also lead me to Myrath who I'm really enjoying:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think the quality of this album is... questionable at best. Faith No More's Album of the Year (1997) came out at a time when many of the original alternative and alternative metal bands were trying to stretch out their careers or reinvent themselves. There were a lot of mediocre offerings by previously big names. I was never a Faith No More fan. In fact, in 1997 I was only beginning to discover music on my own as a thirteen-year-old. Ashes to Ashes was one of the songs I heard on the radio and connected with. But I could never figure out its title, or who it was by. I somehow misheard the lyric "Smiling with the mouth of the ocean" as "the mouth of the usher", which would send me down the path of strange internet searches years later when I tried to identify it.

But in 1997, there was no internet. At least, not for me... not for a couple years. And there sure as hell was no Shazam or Soundhound. So if the radio DJ didn't announce the title, I was out of luck. I vividly remember identifying songs by quoting lyrics to friends at school, such as Bush's Glycerine. Anyway, I didn't become familiar with Epic until a few years later when it was playing on a "classic" rock station at the factory where I worked in the summer. I had no idea they were by the same band. Eventually I did identify Ashes to Ashes and picked up the album. And, save for that track and Last Cup of Sorrow, I hated it. Funk rock and bad alternative wasn't my thing.

A couple years ago I re-listened to the whole album on Spotify and... I still don't think it's very good. Yet some of the non-singles finally wormed their way into my brain. Specifically, Mouth to Mouth and Helpless. It's truly a sound from a different time, but it seems like it was just yesterday.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I...wha...huh...um...well

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought you'd get a kick out of this. Heavy metal parking lot 1986. Just a bunch metal heads hanging out. Though 20 year old Dave might wish otherwise with Dawn his 13 year old date :) Reminds me so much of those times way back then.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seen that, it always cracks me up.

Today's cut is a new scorcher from Ulthar. Album comes out next week, really looking forward to it.