SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SpaceX carried out the historic Demo-2 mission with NASA over the weekend, successfully becoming the first commercial company to launch humans to space on its own spacecraft. So what better way to celebrate than by following it up this week with another launch?

Elon Musk's pioneering rocket business hopes to launch its next Starlink satellite mission on Wednesday. The Kennedy Space Center announced that blast off is set for 8:55 p.m. ET from Cape Canaveral with a back-up launch window 24 hours later.

The Falcon 9, carrying the satellites, will attempt a landing at sea, and the company will also try to recover both halves of the nose cone, or fairing, which is beginning to become a routine part of each mission.
Night launches are always pretty, although I'll probably still watch it via the internet so I can have the cameras and telemetry.

By the way, many of us in the rocket business (or formerly so) don't like the use of "blast" in the description :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm
SpaceX carried out the historic Demo-2 mission with NASA over the weekend, successfully becoming the first commercial company to launch humans to space on its own spacecraft. So what better way to celebrate than by following it up this week with another launch?

Elon Musk's pioneering rocket business hopes to launch its next Starlink satellite mission on Wednesday. The Kennedy Space Center announced that blast off is set for 8:55 p.m. ET from Cape Canaveral with a back-up launch window 24 hours later.

The Falcon 9, carrying the satellites, will attempt a landing at sea, and the company will also try to recover both halves of the nose cone, or fairing, which is beginning to become a routine part of each mission.
Night launches are always pretty, although I'll probably still watch it via the internet so I can have the cameras and telemetry.

By the way, many of us in the rocket business (or formerly so) don't like the use of "blast" in the description :roll:
When I was a little kid and regularly watched NASA launches during the Apollo Program, it irritated me to no end when people would use the term "Blast Off" instead of the term NASA always used: Lift Off.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is a pace I could get used to...

Sat: send astronauts to space
Sun: they dock
Tues: used rocket returns to land
Wed: another launch, on another several-times-used rocket

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id worry waves would topple that . Why do they land one in the water at all I wonder.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 am Id worry waves would topple that . Why do they land one in the water at all I wonder.
Because it'd expend too much fuel to return to land. They use land when the mission allows. It's difficult to see in the picture, but the drone ship has a robotic device that secures the booster, called the Octagrabber that ensures it won't topple.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 am Id worry waves would topple that . Why do they land one in the water at all I wonder.
Because it'd expend too much fuel to return to land. They use land when the mission allows. It's difficult to see in the picture, but the drone ship has a robotic device that secures the booster, called the Octagrabber that ensures it won't topple.
And you avoid populated areas if there's a mishap. But as the tech becomes more tested and refined through use we could see some land recoveries.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am
Zaxxon wrote:
And you avoid populated areas if there's a mishap. But as the tech becomes more tested and refined through use we could see some land recoveries.
They do land recoveries now, they're just more rare, especially for Florida launches.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am
Zaxxon wrote:
They do land recoveries now, they're just more rare, especially for Florida launches.
Truly, apart from the pandemic and rioting we live in wondrous times! Can't wait to see a working spaceport in my lifetime...or we'll be eeking out a Mad Max like existence.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 am
Zaxxon wrote:
Truly, apart from the pandemic and rioting we live in wondrous times! Can't wait to see a working spaceport in my lifetime...or we'll be eeking out a Mad Max like existence.
Remember this?

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 am
$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:25 am
Zaxxon wrote:
Remember this?

I forgot about that. Such a simple looking thing but really awesome!
Black lives matter!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A lot of people don't realize that rockets don't go straight up. They usually launch in the same direction as the earth rotates (east) to take advantage of that natural 1,000 mph speed boost, but sometimes they need to attain different orbits and take different directions, such as north or south for a polar orbit. When tracking reports "miles downrange," that's the distance away from the launch pad. So when you want to land a booster, you have to take into account how far it went from the pad, how far the earth rotated under it, etc -- meaning that it might have enough fuel to return to its starting point, or it might need to land on one of those barges.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:18 pm on one of those barges.
"Autonomous spaceport drone ships" - have a little respect!! ;)

And they have really great names ("Of Course I Still Love You" and "Just Read the Instructions").
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:21 pm And they have really great names ("Of Course I Still Love You" and "Just Read the Instructions").
Highly recommend the Iain M Banks series from which they originate. The ASDS are named after Culture ships from the books. Several of which are hilarious even beyond the OCISLY and JRTI.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Someone said while Bob & Doug are in space everyone should get out their monkey costumes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A tour of the capsule. That thing is like an RV compared to Apollo.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article: Evaluating SpaceX’s Starlink Push
With SpaceX planning to launch another set of Starlink internet satellites on Wednesday, the company will continue the deployment of the initial constellation of approximately 1500 satellites, on the way to building their 4400 satellite Ku-/Ka-band network.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Should be interesting once they have a few more deployments under their belt and the beta service launches.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

glares in Kessler syndrome
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nothing can launch into space after all thats up there blocking access. I see their plan.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Successful landing. I believe this particular booster has now launched/landed five times. Sat deploy in a few min.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Lassr wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:08 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:01 pm
Zaxxon wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Had to switch from the NASA YouTube channel due to a Trump propagandist fawning over his master. Don't know if he was the NASA administrator but it was a bit much
He is, and despite the bootlicking being strong, I like him overall. Bridenstine's done a great job keeping the gears turning.
Best for him not to anger the Cheeto in Chief in order for the real work to get done.
A lot of us at NASA were very leery when he came on board, he was anti-science, anti global warming senator but when he came on board and saw the studies and science at NASA he changed his tune and he's done a pretty good job.
I'm not at NASA, but I had similar fears when he was appointed. I have to admit now that I'm confused by feelings of respect for the job he's done so far. The occasional bootlicking is probably just the cost of keeping that job and the funding for his agency.
Conform or be cast out!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:In my mind, such a game-changing cost reduction is the new capability.
Back to this, exhibit A:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06 ... tellation/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those pics are a little better maybe but not for being 50 km closer I wouldn't think.

EDIT: Strange radio bursts from space are back and they’re following a pattern
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is from last year. To me it looks like they are saying "Lets make this as complicated and undoable as possible." Also it looks like they are simply trying to out do Apollo to just do it.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:57 pm This is from last year. To me it looks like they are saying "Lets make this as complicated and undoable as possible." Also it looks like they are simply trying to out do Apollo to just do it.

It depends on what you want to do. If you feel the goal is to just "get to Mars" then sure, NASA can probably build out a launch system, pre-stage some supplies there, and send some astronauts on several missions. Done. Now what? Too expensive to build a Mars colony, you spent all that money on building systems to get you to Mars as fast as possible.

If you want to try to have a permanent base somewhere then the Moon is the first logical choice. It's cheaper to build a base there first, and there are strong arguments that building a lunar base would make it easier for human exploration of the rest of the solar system. Gateway (the lunar station) is just a base in orbit around the Moon, which makes it easier to explore most of the moon instead of just stuff around the base.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The beast. A fire breathing dragon. Turn up your speakers and feel that F1 engine bass.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In a new paper, researchers conclude that there are at least 36 civilizations in the Milky Way right now.
The estimation of at least 36 civilizations is actually the most conservative lower limit using the strictest set of assumptions—namely that communicating civilizations only survive for 100 years.

However, the authors note that the average distance to one of these 36 civilizations is around 17,000 light-years, so detection and communication is currently impossible.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I did not find this video in this thread, so apologies if it's a repost, but it belongs here.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Toe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:22 pm I did not find this video in this thread, so apologies if it's a repost, but it belongs here.

Thanks for sharing. That was very touching.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats a beautiful reflector. I remember the first time I saw the moon close up with my telescope. I had the same reaction to the craters with their jagged rims and such. Like little mountains.

The alien base was a surprise.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

10 years of the sun in 60 minutes.

Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think you are missing a zero there. The video is over an hour.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OOps. Also check the responses as someone marked interesting moments.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That was pretty neat. Thanks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

cnet
While performing routine maintenance on the International Space Station, NASA astronaut Chris Cassidy accidentally added to the space junk already floating around our planet.

As Cassidy swapped out a large battery pack weighing 428 pounds (194 kilograms) on the outside of the International Space Station, a small mirror attached to his spacesuit broke off and floated away, CNN reported Friday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is fun! From the article on NASA.gov NASA Completes Artemis Space Launch System Structural Testing Campaign
To complete the structural qualification test campaign for NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) rocket, the liquid oxygen structural test article was pushed beyond its limits until it broke and water gushed from the tank. The tank is a test article that is part of the SLS core stage that will produce 2 million pounds of thrust to help launch the rocket. The tank was bolted into a massive steel ring at the base of Marshall’s Test Stand 4697. Hydraulic cylinders were then calibrated and positioned along the tank to apply millions of pounds of crippling force from all sides while engineers measured and recorded the effects of the launch and flight forces. For the test on June 24, water used to simulate the liquid oxygen flows out of the tank after it ruptures. The structural test campaign was conducted on the rocket to ensure the SLS rocket’s structure can endure the rigors of launch and safely send astronauts to the Moon on the Artemis missions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 pm That was pretty neat. Thanks.
You're welcome.