Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Gematria IPA by Omnipollo, Bay Shore, NY. Second beer in 3 days with citra and nelson sauvin hops. A little less grapefruity than the Whiskey Hill one, but still a citrus bomb. 7.3% ABV is decent for this style.
Last edited by Jeff V on Wed May 27, 2020 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Two Juicy, Two Roads Brewery, Stratford CT. Because of the pandemic I've been sticking to known favorites on my infrequent grab-and-go packie runs, but I hit up a small store with a small selection and this was there. It's a fairly average NEIPA. I didn't realize that "two" also means it's an 8.2% DIPA, which is a bit over my usual comfort zone, but...whaddaya gonna do? (Get a bit drunk, that's what.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think Ill find me something different. Something Ive never had before. Maybe cherry based. Next month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Vic Secret Ministry by Church Street Brewing, Itasca, IL. I've only ever had Vic Secret hops as part of a blend, so I was curious to see what they tasted like alone. Church Street is a very competent brewery, and I'm sure they did the best they could. While not a dirt beer, it does seem a bit dusty (probably from the yeast more than the hop, it's an unfiltered beer). And funky. Flavors are not very strong, however, and I'd probably shy away from another single-hop unless it's more developed into a DIPA. Only 6% ABV, so they really didn't put much joy into this beer.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Staff of Life DNEIPA by Revision Brewing Co., Sparks, NV. This brewery seems to be a favorite of the folks who run Flight, I've not seen them elsewhere. By and large their stuff has been good, and this is no exception. Using three different hops (Mosaic, Equinox, CTZ) this been is not bitter or fruity. It's an easy middle-of-the-road drinker that while not remarkable in any way, it's still pretty good and went down quickly. The 8% ABV is ok.
Black Lives Matter
Oliver88

Post by Oliver88 »

I'm like drink bourbon, Jim Beam for example. Can anyone recommend me some other good bourbon?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

J.W. Dant Bottled in Bond is a really good whisky at a great price.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blood of the Unicorn Hoppy Red Ale by Pipeworks Brewing Co., Chicago. The hops seem to cancel out the malt in this one, the flavor is not bad, it just isn't anything. i guess this makes a good palate cleanser, or maybe something for when your taste buds are fried from something more strongly flavored. 6.5% is reasonable for a red.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unraveled Juicy IPA by Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, MI. It's been awhile since something different from Founders appeared on shelves here. This is a nicely balanced, hazy, juicy IPA. Not cloying in the least, retains some bitterness and at 6.6% ABV comes in slightly above average. I don't always sit down and drink a couple of six packs of just one beer, but if I did, this would be a good candidate.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

M-43 by Old Nation Brewing, Williamston, MI. I thought I had this before and didn't like it, and thanks to Z-corn I got to experience this disappointment again. Muddled hops (4 varieties) leaves little character, more like a persistent funk with no fruitiness nor bitterness. As he mentioned, this is an unfiltered beer (and it's not "lazy brewing", it's been a thing at least since Belgian goofballs started producing Chimay Ale, the first chunky beer I had). In this case, it's just gritty, on the cusp of being labeled a "dirt beer." 6.8% ABV is uninspiring.

Now that I confirmed I do no like, I can hopefully avoid it in the future. And probably I won't seek out any thing else by this brewery.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 pm Unraveled Juicy IPA by Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, MI. It's been awhile since something different from Founders appeared on shelves here. This is a nicely balanced, hazy, juicy IPA. Not cloying in the least, retains some bitterness and at 6.6% ABV comes in slightly above average. I don't always sit down and drink a couple of six packs of just one beer, but if I did, this would be a good candidate.
When Founders fist started showing up here there were maybe 4-5 different types. Now all we get is the All Day IPA and the Scotch Ale.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 pm When Founders fist started showing up here there were maybe 4-5 different types. Now all we get is the All Day IPA and the Scotch Ale.
Dirty Bastard is pretty good, the All Day is dreck. I was camping with our family and a friend's family in Michigan last summer -- I made the mistake of sending him on a beer run and he came back with a 15-pack of All Day. He finally finished the last one when he stopped over a month or so ago to get some masks.

They also have a very good Breakfast Stout if you can find it. The other day, the supermarket was closing out some craft beers and I got a 4-pack at half price. Had I known I'd be unemployed two days later, I'd have bought the entire stock of Breakfast Stout, Maplewood Son of Juice, and Odell's 90 Shilling. As it was, I got 4/4/6 for $18. The breakfast stout has a barrel aged version that is an event when released, a Michigan-based supermarket chain, Meijer, sends me an alert when they expect to have it.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:16 pm M-43 by Old Nation Brewing, Williamston, MI. I thought I had this before and didn't like it, and thanks to Z-corn I got to experience this disappointment again. Muddled hops (4 varieties) leaves little character, more like a persistent funk with no fruitiness nor bitterness. As he mentioned, this is an unfiltered beer (and it's not "lazy brewing", it's been a thing at least since Belgian goofballs started producing Chimay Ale, the first chunky beer I had). In this case, it's just gritty, on the cusp of being labeled a "dirt beer." 6.8% ABV is uninspiring.

Now that I confirmed I do no like, I can hopefully avoid it in the future. And probably I won't seek out any thing else by this brewery.
My first apartment was in Williamston, a half-hour drive from MSU. Williamston was a flyspeck farm town whose biggest industry was a dairy, where one could rent a studio for $125/mo. I'm amused that they have a brewery now, and sorry to hear that it isn't very good.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'd call them ambitious, but not successful making beer I want to drink. Two-hop beers can work, three or more are usually a mess and this brewery seems to like mixing a bunch at a time. I suppose if enough people enjoy it, my opinion doesn't really matter. Several Michigan breweries rank among my all-time favorites, just not this one.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:53 pm When Founders fist started showing up here there were maybe 4-5 different types. Now all we get is the All Day IPA and the Scotch Ale.
Dirty Bastard is pretty good, the All Day is dreck. I was camping with our family and a friend's family in Michigan last summer -- I made the mistake of sending him on a beer run and he came back with a 15-pack of All Day. He finally finished the last one when he stopped over a month or so ago to get some masks.

They also have a very good Breakfast Stout if you can find it. The other day, the supermarket was closing out some craft beers and I got a 4-pack at half price. Had I known I'd be unemployed two days later, I'd have bought the entire stock of Breakfast Stout, Maplewood Son of Juice, and Odell's 90 Shilling. As it was, I got 4/4/6 for $18. The breakfast stout has a barrel aged version that is an event when released, a Michigan-based supermarket chain, Meijer, sends me an alert when they expect to have it.
When they first showed up here, 1-2 years ago, they had the Breakfast Stout. I am not a fan of the All Day either. In fact I can't think of a low alcohol IPA I thought was worth buying.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Longsnapper IPA by Tighthead Brewing Co. Mundelein, IL. Brewed with collaboration from Patrick Mannelly, the longest-serving Bears player in history (and as the name suggests, their longsnapper for all those years), this is a low-alcohol beer worth drinking. Only 6%, but the hops give a nice crisp snap and you can still taste a rather complex malt profile. I wasn't expecting much, but this was a nice surprise.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:51 pm nice crisp snap
:doh:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:01 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:51 pm nice crisp snap
:doh:
:D But in this case, it's true!
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

The name seemed appropriate for current events.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 pm I am not a fan of the All Day either. In fact I can't think of a low alcohol IPA I thought was worth buying.
I've come across a few -- Notch's Left of the Dial has been a go-to summer beer for several years -- but you kind of have to drink them exclusively to acclimate to lower alcohol. After a week or so, they become as satisfying as a higher-alcohol beer. I didn't like All Day, though.

I ought to be transitioning to light summer beers right now, but I'm too hooked on premium craft 4-packs.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 pm I ought to be transitioning to light summer beers right now, but I'm too hooked on premium craft 4-packs.
Yeah, I gotta find a new hobby. Without a job, it's hard to justify $20 or more for 4 beers. But the other day on Instagram they announced to arrival of something that's calling to me...you'll see why if they still have it today. Friday ritual is to get the kids Happy Meals and stop at Flight to get myself happy juice.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 pm
When they first showed up here, 1-2 years ago, they had the Breakfast Stout. I am not a fan of the All Day either. In fact I can't think of a low alcohol IPA I thought was worth buying.

I've had the All-Day-IPA. I find it to be a prime example of a very average mainstream IPA that doesn't try to push the envelope, meaning it's not great. One definitely can do better unless they really happen to like the style. Personally it's the exact opposite of what I like in an IPA, and seems to be too aggressive in its bitterness for my liking.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember many years ago hearing about beer that was aged in barrels like brandy or it was smooth and alcoholic like brandy. Cant recall which now. I do recall it being very expensive and well received. Did any of you ever try anything like that?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm I remember many years ago hearing about beer that was aged in barrels like brandy or it was smooth and alcoholic like brandy. Cant recall which now. I do recall it being very expensive and well received. Did any of you ever try anything like that?
There is a whole genre of beers like that. Many can be quite expensive.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm I remember many years ago hearing about beer that was aged in barrels like brandy or it was smooth and alcoholic like brandy. Cant recall which now. I do recall it being very expensive and well received. Did any of you ever try anything like that?
There is a whole genre of beers like that. Many can be quite expensive.
Yeah, they're necessarily small-batch, one-off beers. Local brewer Barrel House Z mostly sells theirs on-site, and only distributes unaged beers at retail.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

DUN DUN DUN DIPA by Hop Butcher for the World, Bedford Park, IL. A citrus bomb, this hazy juicy beer does have a nice flavor but at 7.5% ABV it ranks on the low end of DIPAs. Might buy again depending on the price. :!:
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 pm
Scuzz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 pm I am not a fan of the All Day either. In fact I can't think of a low alcohol IPA I thought was worth buying.
I've come across a few -- Notch's Left of the Dial has been a go-to summer beer for several years -- but you kind of have to drink them exclusively to acclimate to lower alcohol. After a week or so, they become as satisfying as a higher-alcohol beer. I didn't like All Day, though.

I ought to be transitioning to light summer beers right now, but I'm too hooked on premium craft 4-packs.
That is probably what you need to do. I have tried a few that have some flavor but you can't just go from a full bodied IPA to the low alcohol ones and be satisfied. Maybe I will experiment with a few this summer.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am not a fan of those. Not a big bourbon guy. But the ones I have tasted tend to be stouts of high alcohol.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Husky IPA from Alaskan Brewing Co. with Mosaic® hops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shiner Black Lager
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And a Lakewood Brewing Please 'N Thank You American Pale Ale to finish the evening.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Almost ashamed to admit, but one of my main COVID projects has been learning craft cocktails and especially tiki drinks. I have spent more on rum than I care to admit to get the "right" flavor profiles and am having a ball. Tonight I have a lush smoothie with 7 types of rum and all sorts of exotic flavors, it's like vacation in a glass and damnit if I don't need an escape right now. 8-)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zombies are king.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Enough wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 am Almost ashamed to admit, but one of my main COVID projects has been learning craft cocktails and especially tiki drinks. I have spent more on rum than I care to admit to get the "right" flavor profiles and am having a ball. Tonight I have a lush smoothie with 7 types of rum and all sorts of exotic flavors, it's like vacation in a glass and damnit if I don't need an escape right now. 8-)
It sounds like you have taken this opportunity to learn something. Good for you.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:56 am Zombies are king.
Yum. The one I have been struggling to get to look right is the pearl diver. My gardenia mix always ends up integrating more like curdled milk, but I guess that's what strainers are for heh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Ardiel Dry Apple Cider - The Blue Mountains, Ontario

It's... a dry cider. I can't tell the difference between most basic craft ciders. It's good. It's fine. I wanted cider, and I got it. (Ardiel, send me a PM if you want to use that quotation on your site.)

Enlarge Image

First trip to the liquor store since covid started, after you guys all recommend drinking to help with depression in the keeping sane thread. LCBO does do mail order, but Canada Post isn't delivering shipments to your door during covid. Seeing as I don't drive, having beer shipped to the nearest postal outlet kind of defeats the point. If I get covid because of this, it's on you government of Ontario.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 pm

I've considered Founders All Day, Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty, Firestone Walker's Flyjack 96, and Lagunitas Daytime all worth drinking at various points. Daytime is the best of the bunch, though I am sipping on a Flyjack 96 right now.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hopewell Pet Rock Nelson Sauvin IPA, Hopewell Brewing Co. Chicago. An all-around palatable beer, it focuses on the Nelson Sauvin hop, one normally blended with something else. The flavor is somewhat complex,and the flavors are somewhat muddled as this hop channels multiple flavor profiles. 7.0% is good for a straight IPA and while I probably won't repeat, I now know what Nelson Sauvin is all about.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pins and Needles Dirt Beer by 18th St. Brewing, Hammond, IN. Listed as a DDH DIPA, this chunky, hazy beer has discernible grit and muddy taste. The beer claims to be a citrus bomb, but flavor-wise its more like lemon pith than anything notably juicy. 7.5% ABV is too embarrassing for a DIPA, explaining why it was left off the label.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Liberty Village - Extra Dry Cider

OK, I take it back. Now that I've started drinking them again, not all ciders are alike. Initially I mocked this one for saying sweetener/gluten free all over the can, but some British guy on the internet says this is the closest to authentic cider he's tasted in Canada. Reviews compare this to white wine and tonic water. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg