Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Borderlands 3

Post by TheMix »

I hit the money display cap (note: that's the display only, you actually continue to earn money), died and dropped down, hit the cap again, died again, hit the cap again... I'm shooting for enough money that when I die I'm still above the cap. :) But I've also been working on not picking up as much stuff. With the exception that I'll pick up everything if I know a place to sell is just ahead.

I bought everything that Crazy Earl had for sale, so my eridium amount is much lower. But I've still gotten it back up to around 2k. I think they said that they were going to change the eridium using gun to make it more "useful". So it sounds like there will be a reason to save eridium. And there is also the machine in Moxxi's. Isn't the eridium slot machine the one that gives out heads, skins, etc? So if you want to be a collector, there's always slots.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:49 am I hit the money display cap (note: that's the display only, you actually continue to earn money), died and dropped down, hit the cap again, died again, hit the cap again... I'm shooting for enough money that when I die I'm still above the cap. :) But I've also been working on not picking up as much stuff. With the exception that I'll pick up everything if I know a place to sell is just ahead.

I bought everything that Crazy Earl had for sale, so my eridium amount is much lower. But I've still gotten it back up to around 2k. I think they said that they were going to change the eridium using gun to make it more "useful". So it sounds like there will be a reason to save eridium. And there is also the machine in Moxxi's. Isn't the eridium slot machine the one that gives out heads, skins, etc? So if you want to be a collector, there's always slots.
Based on my last death, my actual total is around 130,000,000.

Yeah, I cleaned out Earl, and I have all the SDUs. The eridum machine in Moxxi's doesn't have skins/heads/trinkets, only higher quality gear. All of the cosmetics come from the cash machines (and I have all of those, too.)

All of this is on my Amara that I'm running with the kids over the summer. My other characters aren't quite as well stocked. I do have all of the weapon skins now, as I finally found the space skin. What I really wish is that the vehicle skins were account-wide like all the other cosmetics. They're too much of a pain to hunt down to bother doing it on each character.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, what is everyone's Shift friend name? I occasionally find rare skins and such that I already have and I've been sending them out to random people on my friends list because I don't know who anyone is. I don't even know for sure if some of them have BL3. Some random person got a copy of the Deep Nebula weapon skin today - a very rare drop.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I tried friending (linking? connecting?) with you via the STEAM version of the game (while playing and in the social menu) last week, but it seemed confused that we were already friends via STEAM - like adding you as a SHIFT person didn't seem possible. Maybe I was just lost in the UI.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It says my Display Name is "TheMix". I vaguely recall having some trouble when trying to connect up with gilraen and Tao.

I see Smoove already listed as a Shift friend in my list. Not sure when that happened. :)

I only see BH listed as a Steam friend. A search for blackhawk in Shift came up with 4 options.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk3339 is my Shift name.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It really is an unfriendly interface. So I can only find you in the list if I type the exact name. Apparently they don't have built in wildcards. Or accept them. Then I didn't have an option to add you, but you show up in my list. I swear when I went through the first time you weren't there. Or did you add me?

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:32 am I tried friending (linking? connecting?) with you via the STEAM version of the game (while playing and in the social menu) last week, but it seemed confused that we were already friends via STEAM - like adding you as a SHIFT person didn't seem possible. Maybe I was just lost in the UI.
I just logged in and had an invitation waiting. What level are you these days?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was just going through my mail. I didn't realize that some of the crew challenges gave you legendaries when you completed them all. Though I'm scratching my head because I got 2 from Moxxi, but I've only finished on one character.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 pm I just logged in and had an invitation waiting. What level are you these days?
39 - I just made it to the Splinterlands.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We did lots of crew challenges on our first playthrough but specifically left Nekrotafeyo alone for just that reason, in order to make sure that we got the max level versions of those items. Some of them are stuff you might find yourself farming for, but the legendary you get that way is guaranteed (IE - Zer0 always gives you a _________.)

I'm just not sure if they scale to your current Mayhem level or not (we're currently on TVHM Mayhem 6, and it it just gives TVHM Mayhem 0 stuff it'd suck.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 pm I just logged in and had an invitation waiting. What level are you these days?
39 - I just made it to the Splinterlands.
Check your mail. One is to use (soon), the rest are to sell (or if you prefer not to, just toss 'em on the ground.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can confirm receipt - thanks man. Much appreciated!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let me know if you're looking for anything else. I have eight or ten mule characters full of stuff, and my bank is at 397/400. And almost all of it is legendaries.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My bank was full. :( All red-text items. The overwhelming majority are level 57+.

I haven't decided whether to make bank alts. Though that is ~50 more space each.

Instead I did a major purge of shields and grenades. Next I'm going to go through my low level weapons and purge. I have 3 characters that have completed Normal and one that has completed Normal and TVHM. Has anyone heard whether they will be introducing more characters (I assume so)? That's probably the only reason I'd need low level items. On the other hand, I'm sitting on 50 keys. So I suspect a low level character would be fine.

I've actually been thinking about doing self-imposed challenges. Like "no legendaries" or possibly "no rare and above". Something to make it more interesting. But that's probably a ways off.

... crap. I keep forgetting about the DLCs. I'm guessing every one will introduce a whole lot of new items. My poor bank. :(

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm Let me know if you're looking for anything else. I have eight or ten mule characters full of stuff, and my bank is at 397/400. And almost all of it is legendaries.
Will do. My bank is empty so the higher level stuff is in storage now, safe and sound. I'm hoping to hit level 41 soon. Something odd when I logged in was that the Cartel stuff was enabled (I'd disabled it a few weeks ago). So yeah, that was a bit annoying. I was going to offer something in return, but I figured there likely isn't anything I have that you haven't seen or need. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I should look. I have a bunch of yellowcakes (not getting rid of any of those until they nerf the hell out of it). Since I probably don't need several that are all close in level, I'll see if I have a spare. I tend to use mine very loosely (well, until I started running M5). But it makes an excellent FFYL weapon.

Edit: Pretty sure that gilraen would make you prior her's out of her cold dead fingers. She runs with it waaaaaaaaayyyyy past what I would consider the appropriate level, (Like, she may have used one for ~20 levels.)

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got a level 57 Yellowcake that I typically only use on tough fights. It's got the 300% damage above 90% health that is pretty much the go-to anointment for my build.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isn't that the go-to anointment for pretty much every build? It definitely seems like it's the one everyone wants.

Smoove,
Turns out I don't have much that falls in the ~41 range. I sent you a couple SMGs. Only use them if they are better; feel free to sell.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once again, I can confirm receipt - thanks. Similarly, I'd offer something back but I doubt you have anything I own. If either of you are looking for something special, I can certainly keep an eye out. :lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nah. I'm looking to having fewer items in my bank. And you are helping with that admirably.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hit 41 last night and was able to equip the gifted NIght Hawkin' -- still my favorite gun. Thanks again BH! :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Update today

Highlights:

~Mayhem Levels 7, 8, 9 and 10 have had their stat bonuses to Health, Shields and Armor reduced. On Mayhem 10, the bonus is now 10,000% instead of 12,500%, and the curve to from Level 7 to 10 has been adjusted accordingly.

(Higher Mayhem was unfun due to absurd bullet-spongieness, and is why we stayed at M6.)

They also nerfed the Yellowcake. :evil: Apparently part of the damage it was doing was unintentional, so they adjusted it back down. I don't know how much that'll hurt yet.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah, that's hard to quantify. One thing I find with the yellowcake is that it is simply easier to use. I've tried a couple of others, and I find them much more difficult to use. Lots of wasted shots. Even if the damage is nerfed, it still will probably be used by most of my characters since it's just easier to use.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I really only pulled out the Yellowcake on bullet sponge enemies that I didn't feel like shooting for five minutes anyway.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah. I mostly pull it out in FFYL. But on higher Mayhem levels I've also pulled it out a few times for fights that I felt were taking too long (or suspected were going to take too long).

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:46 pm Hit 41 last night and was able to equip the gifted NIght Hawkin' -- still my favorite gun. Thanks again BH! :D
Make sure you check it periodically, too.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Will do - thanks. The mail notification system is awful (which I'm sure others have mentioned). Also, I thought I was at the end when I hit The Great Vault. Nope! This game is beyond huge.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moze is up to Level 57. I'm just about to take down Katagawa, but I think I've been at 57 since Athena. Anyway, what should I be trying to do now? Is there a benefit to actually finishing TVHM? Am I just supposed to be upping the Mayhem levels until I can survive at 10?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm Moze is up to Level 57. I'm just about to take down Katagawa, but I think I've been at 57 since Athena. Anyway, what should I be trying to do now? Is there a benefit to actually finishing TVHM? Am I just supposed to be upping the Mayhem levels until I can survive at 10?
Sort of. You want to be allocating guardian ranks to boost yourself, and anytime things get so that they're not much of a struggle you bump the Mayhem up a level. Each Mayhem level gives better gear than the ones below them. Each Mayhem modifier bumps up the enemies health, shields, and armor, and also bumps up the rewards.

Tips:
~The Mayhem 1 modifier is actually a bonus, not a penalty. If you're gearing up or still buying SDUs, Lootsplosion is good. Otherwise go with what sounds fun.
~Each Mayhem level has something that isn't too awful. Healy Avenger isn't a problem as long as you shoot the very slow-moving heart when in a boss fight. We are running on M6 with Lootsplosion, Healy Avenger, the elemental spinners (you just have to move out of the way now and then) and the frost immunity/nova one, as frost isn't all that bad for us, and none of us rely on it.
~If you've taken an hour to gain some points in Borderlands Science, the 2 hour XP boost also applies to guardian rank gains. I activate one every time I to go back to the ship.

We just finished TVHM the other day. Yesterday we ran all six Proving Grounds trials (which aren't bad at all.) We have all the Eridian writing, all the red chests, all the crew challenges. The only thing we're missing is four or five quests that show up on the overview, but we can't find anywhere in the world - at all. Our 'galaxy progress' is at 100%. In a couple of days we'll start off on the DLC. We'll likely try the first Takedown first.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BH, have you read anything on the one that makes the enemies' heads bigger? I've avoided that one because it was making my head bigger. And it seemed like I was taking a lot more damage. I assume from the enemies getting more crits on me. It reads like it's a buff, but it felt more like a debuff since I was dying a lot more than normal.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used it once for the laughs, but haven't tried it since. It could really help for a build that relies on critical hits, though. I do know that players don't have a 'crit spot', so they don't take extra damage from head shots, but Galaxy Brain may increase the size of your hit box, so yeah, it could cause you to take more damage.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished my first full run through with Amara. Would recommend. STEAM is telling me I spent 88 hours and wish I took note of when I actually committed to this character and stopped replaying areas. I want to say ~25 hours of that was replay time so in terms of content, this game is huuuuge. I'm definitely interested in the DLC now. I need to take a break from it for a bit, but I really enjoyed the hell out of this game.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:35 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm Moze is up to Level 57. I'm just about to take down Katagawa, but I think I've been at 57 since Athena. Anyway, what should I be trying to do now? Is there a benefit to actually finishing TVHM? Am I just supposed to be upping the Mayhem levels until I can survive at 10?
Sort of. You want to be allocating guardian ranks to boost yourself, and anytime things get so that they're not much of a struggle you bump the Mayhem up a level. Each Mayhem level gives better gear than the ones below them. Each Mayhem modifier bumps up the enemies health, shields, and armor, and also bumps up the rewards.

Tips:
~The Mayhem 1 modifier is actually a bonus, not a penalty. If you're gearing up or still buying SDUs, Lootsplosion is good. Otherwise go with what sounds fun.
~Each Mayhem level has something that isn't too awful. Healy Avenger isn't a problem as long as you shoot the very slow-moving heart when in a boss fight. We are running on M6 with Lootsplosion, Healy Avenger, the elemental spinners (you just have to move out of the way now and then) and the frost immunity/nova one, as frost isn't all that bad for us, and none of us rely on it.
~If you've taken an hour to gain some points in Borderlands Science, the 2 hour XP boost also applies to guardian rank gains. I activate one every time I to go back to the ship.

We just finished TVHM the other day. Yesterday we ran all six Proving Grounds trials (which aren't bad at all.) We have all the Eridian writing, all the red chests, all the crew challenges. The only thing we're missing is four or five quests that show up on the overview, but we can't find anywhere in the world - at all. Our 'galaxy progress' is at 100%. In a couple of days we'll start off on the DLC. We'll likely try the first Takedown first.
Thanks. I can just keep re-rolling the Mayhem modifiers until I get what I want, right?

Also, I'm bummed as I have all the Eridian writings with Moze, but I didn't get the achievement. Hopefully one of the other characters registers.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 am
Thanks. I can just keep re-rolling the Mayhem modifiers until I get what I want, right?

Also, I'm bummed as I have all the Eridian writings with Moze, but I didn't get the achievement. Hopefully one of the other characters registers.
You can reroll forever. Once you have one you like, you can also turn Mayhem off and on or change Mayhem levels without altering your roll. For example, if you finally get a great Mayhem 5 modifier set, hit something that's too tough, you can drop it down to Mayhem 3, finish that fight, then put it back on 5 and you'll still have your rolled modifiers.

As for the achievements, I'm playing on Epic. We don't get fun toys like that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Goodbye Yellowcake, goodbye OPQ System.

Level cap is now 60, and there is no way to get those weapons above 57.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I started playing this couch coop with my son on the PS4. I'm playing Moze, and he's FL4K. Right now he's got a corrosion heavy skag. I'm going shield heavy with a bit of splash damage. I should probably respec soon for greater focus, since I was a bit haphazard with skill points. I'm not sure what direction I want to go. We're right at level 21/22. Our next mission is the (first?) vault under Atlas.

I keep debating whether to get the Dakka Bear turret for him. It doesn't seem like we're usually that close together when I need Iron Bear. Anyone tried it coop?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:09 pm I started playing this couch coop with my son on the PS4. I'm playing Moze, and he's FL4K. Right now he's got a corrosion heavy skag. I'm going shield heavy with a bit of splash damage. I should probably respec soon for greater focus, since I was a bit haphazard with skill points. I'm not sure what direction I want to go. We're right at level 21/22. Our next mission is the (first?) vault under Atlas.

I keep debating whether to get the Dakka Bear turret for him. It doesn't seem like we're usually that close together when I need Iron Bear. Anyone tried it coop?
The turret is ok, but the problem is that it doesn't compare even remotely to what a vault hunter could be doing on foot.

FWIW, Moze has three basic build concepts: Constant explosions and splash damage (which tends to be really disruptive in co-op), Iron Bear builds (IB is most of your damage, and your time on foot is mostly just waiting for the recharge, does not scale well to the late game, although I understand there has been some improvement), and gunner Moze (endless mags, you become a badass, and Iron Bear is mostly a quick escape to let your shields recharge when you're about to go down.)

Moze with a good shield (like a transformer) and a Deathless artifact has very, very high survivability. You only have one health, but your health+shield is higher than almost anyone else, and 100% of it can be quickly recharged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I did not have good luck with Deathless. I'm not sure why. I would get insta-killed. Sometimes when nothing was around. Obviously something was ignoring my shield (which was over 2x what my health+shield had been). Finally stopped using it. Too frustrating.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:14 am I did not have good luck with Deathless. I'm not sure why. I would get insta-killed. Sometimes when nothing was around. Obviously something was ignoring my shield (which was over 2x what my health+shield had been). Finally stopped using it. Too frustrating.
I only had that problem when I was using the OPQ System on my Amara (not with the Deathless, obviously.) I'd one-shot myself if I hit anything too close as it did random, unadvertised shock splash damage.

I will say that I discovered with Moze that the Deathless works best with the Transformer. Being shields-only means that you're incredibly vulnerable to shock damage. The Transformer turns that one weakness into healing.