OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Smoove_B »

That bundle is for resin minis, if I'm not mistaken (just based on the original MSRP). I don't think there's a plastic bundle, though I'm not following closely.

I have *buckets* of unpainted miniatures, but I really like how those look - particularly for Rangers of Shadow Deep. Plus included solo rules? New Battle Systems fantasy theme being shipped next month?? Dammit!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:11 pm Dammit. I have resisted this since I'm so deep into Fallout and Knuckleduster and Gangs of Rome and En Garde and Core Space and Blood and Plunder and...

Damn you Hepcat.
Shit. Forgot about Marvel: Crisis Protocol.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm That bundle is for resin minis, if I'm not mistaken (just based on the original MSRP). I don't think there's a plastic bundle, though I'm not following closely.

I have *buckets* of unpainted miniatures, but I really like how those look - particularly for Rangers of Shadow Deep. Plus included solo rules? New Battle Systems fantasy theme being shipped next month?? Dammit!
Oh! I invested in the BattleSystems fantasy terrain, this would be a great use for that!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like the concept of having just a modified rules set between the two. Hopefully that means I can switch back and forth without experiencing a steep learning curve each time.

I also like the idea of "dungeon delves". While not a true dungeon crawl, you get quests (essentially events from fallout ww) and other dungeon crawl stuff like loot as you go. Plus, you can go full campaign mode and build yourself a settlement over time, while also leveling up your character(s).

I've got a lot invested in Fallout WW...and I don't even really like the theme. It's just such a fun game system that I enjoy it even while wishing it was a horror based game world, or one based on characters and events from Star Trek or The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. My hope is that by continuing to support them, I'll eventually get those.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm That bundle is for resin minis, if I'm not mistaken (just based on the original MSRP). I don't think there's a plastic bundle, though I'm not following closely.
They had a plastic starter for Fallout, but as of now I don't see one for Elder Scrolls. Still, the pricing after the discount makes this set VERY competitive with even reaper minis.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm I have *buckets* of unpainted miniatures, but I really like how those look - particularly for Rangers of Shadow Deep.

My thoughts exactly. Plus I've always wanted to start a Frostgrave campaign too. However, be aware they're heroic scale (i.e. 32mm). But you probably won't notice much of a difference next to 28mm on the table.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The picture is rather grainy, but on GamerNerdz the package says "plastic" before the name of the units for two of the boxes. Could be just a stock image, though.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I take back my earlier comment. These are hard plastic, I believe. Modiphius' page for Elder Scrolls lists a hard plastic version at about 115 bucks, and a resin version at about 145 bucks. Both require assembly.

Fallout Wasteland Warfare had something similar, but the starter set for that included PVC figures that were one piece and didn't require assembly (although you could buy a much more expensive resin version), while the figure packs you bought after that were resin. It sounds like they're going to offer a choice between hard plastic and resin going forward.

It's all very confusing, but games like Malifaux do hard plastic multi part miniatures and I would put their quality up against some of the best resin these days. So I'm happy with the less expensive hard plastic version.

Heck, I would have actually been happy with an even cheaper PVC version like those found in Fallout WW starter set. I still think those look great, and I loved not having to glue the bloody things together. But the hobbyists disagree for the most part.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've given up trying to make sense of the mini scale anymore; it's not battle I'm prepared to fight. So many of them arguing over TRUE scale and then you stand them next to one another and they're identical (but using different numbers). Some are measuring base to head. Others measure base to eyes. Then add "heroic" scale and you get oversized heads and limbs but still technically set to a specific mini scale number. For Rangers of Shadow Deep I've mixed in so many different minis from various sources, it really doesn't seem to matter.

Regarding resin vs plastic, I know the painters love resins for the details but if they require assembly, I *hate* resins.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They both require assembly, unfortunately. I'm with you as I hate that. But most miniature games do require it, so we're stuck. :(

As for scale, I gave up worrying about 32mm heroic vs. 28mm ages ago. Now I just assume that my 32mm scale figures suffer from overdeveloped pituitary glands that have resulted in such trauma as a child that they're now either a bad ass heroic adventurer as a form of overcompensation, or a vile villain that was shaped by all the childhood ridicule.

But as you say, it really isn't that noticeable.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

Other than the Marvel Crisis Protocol minis (plastic), I'm actually pretty comfortable (and quick) with assembly now. But resins? Metal? I'm not going to pin anything, not into spraying accelerator on CA glue (that stuff smells like cancer) so general frustration with trying to make anything but plastic models is very, very high for me. Once I discovered the Tamiya cement for plastics, everything came together (literally and figuratively).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Which one do you use? Or is there only one Tamiya cement?

My only worry about plastic cement is that I heard years ago that it worked by actually melting parts of the plastic model in the process. That has made me a little wary of using plastic cement.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I use the white bottle but I know many swear by the green. It's just a matter of thickness (green is thinner than white). I haven't tried using the green bottle because I like working with the white.

And yes, it's absolutely melting the plastic to make the connection happen. However, that bond is much stronger and helps with assembly because of it. I can't say that I've run into any issues using it. I still dry fit everything and I can't think of a time when it's been a problem. I guess for models that are "keyed" like the Shadows of Brimstone where you need to make sure you're inserting arms/legs/tentacles into a torso (for example) before you glue the torso together, it could be an issue. However, my frustration from using CA came from that kind of building when stuff would fall apart before the CA glue set.That's just not an issue with the Tamiya cements.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Yesterday marked my first non-family, in-person board gaming in months. Just me and a buddy playing two-player games for four hours. It was great.

We played Aton, an older eurogame about Egyptian religious factions vying for dominance across four temples. It's a very thin veneer of theme over an abstract area-majority game. Simple rules, very tactical, lots of push-and-pull and making the best of imperfect situations.

Then it was Undaunted: Normandy, the well-regarded WW2 card game. We only played the first, simplest scenario, but I thought it did a really nice job of forcing tough, meaningful decisions. In the end the Americans won by making a desperate dash for the Germans' most valuable objective point, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Finally a cooperative game of Sprawlopolis, an 18-card city-builder. A very clever little game. We were sure that we were losing badly, but somehow ended up winning by a single point.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm I use the white bottle but I know many swear by the green. It's just a matter of thickness (green is thinner than white). I haven't tried using the green bottle because I like working with the white.
Is this what you use?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, that's the green (extra thin). I use this. I like it a little "gloopy" (technical term), not runny or thinned out (green cap bottle). It all comes down to personal preference. Also, make sure you're using this in a well ventilated area. Do not hotbox assemble your miniatures in a closet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, thanks. I'll give it a try. The additional benefit of the high I might get sealed the deal for me.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The result of plastic cement is very similar to welding. It slightly dissolves both surfaces, which then mix together and reform. It results in a bond that's often stronger than the plastic itself. It only works on compatible plastic, though,usually styrene based. It isn't really an adhesive, so it can give problems with anything it can't melt.

Speaking of which, keep it far away from any sort of Styrofoam. It'll melt right through it.

CA glues harden in the presence of moisture. The accelerant I use is called 'saliva.' It does the job just fine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:44 pm The result of plastic cement is very similar to welding. It slightly dissolves both surfaces, which then mix together and reform. It results in a bond that's often stronger than the plastic itself. It only works on compatible plastic, though,usually styrene based. It isn't really an adhesive, so it can give problems with anything it can't melt.

Speaking of which, keep it far away from any sort of Styrofoam. It'll melt right through it.

CA glues harden in the presence of moisture. The accelerant I use is called 'saliva.' It does the job just fine.
Will you come over to my place and spit for me? Mine doesn't appear to contain enough natural accelerants. :cry:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:29 pm :D

Other than the Marvel Crisis Protocol minis (plastic), I'm actually pretty comfortable (and quick) with assembly now. But resins? Metal? I'm not going to pin anything, not into spraying accelerator on CA glue (that stuff smells like cancer) so general frustration with trying to make anything but plastic models is very, very high for me. Once I discovered the Tamiya cement for plastics, everything came together (literally and figuratively).
I use the accelerator but I don't spray it. I just take a dab from the end of the spray tube when I need to use it.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:57 pm Finally a cooperative game of Sprawlopolis, an 18-card city-builder. A very clever little game. We were sure that we were losing badly, but somehow ended up winning by a single point.
Thanks for the post. Sprawlopolis happened to come in the mail today (along with Res Arcana and the Through the Ages expansion.) I got it for solo but was wondering how it played two player. Do you find the players get their own decisions or it is really a groupthink game for each turn?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's pretty groupthink. On your turn, you're have a hand of three cards, two of which were handed to you by the other player, so they'll probably have opinions about what you should place and where.

Neither my friend or I are alpha gamers, and it was the first play for both of us, so we had a pretty chill time. But I could see it being less fun with one more experienced, opinionated player.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm I use the white bottle but I know many swear by the green. It's just a matter of thickness (green is thinner than white). I haven't tried using the green bottle because I like working with the white.
Is this what you use?
Like Smoove_B, I *hate* resin when it comes to assembly. I hate cutting out and cleaning the models. I hate using crazy glue. And I don't think the resin models have any better details (particularly when it comes to Games Workshop plastic minis).

I have been using Citadel Plastic Glue and Model Masters Liquid Cement for years and have had varying degrees of success. It works great for big models, but is less useful for cementing together small parts like hands and limbs. It is thicker (although not a gel) and comes out via a small metal tube that often gets clogged at the end.

So I just got some of the Tamiya Extra Thin (green bottle) you linked here about two weeks ago. It has totally revolutionized my model cementing. Far easier to use, less mess, less chance to get spillover to melt your details. And I feel like it holds better. I like the extra thin because you can use capillary action to cement - you push two pieces together dry and then put the tiny brush at the crevice, then the glue runs into the gap and fills it. My only complaint is that the cement smells extremely toxic and I am pretty sure it is killing brain and lung cells.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Hep,

Also, it doesn't hurt to invest in some decent tweezers for model assembly.

https://www.micromark.com/mini-hand-too ... s-grabbers
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, thanks for the tips!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Assembly doesn't bother me. Then again, I got my start as a kid building model planes/boats/tanks/etc. Those use the same materials and are all about assembly.

I love good resin, but I've had a few really bad resin experiences, too. Knight Miniatures, for example, are incredibly detailed, but their resin formula is so brittle that you can't actually use the miniatures. I've literally had pieces break from the pressure of a paint brush.

My #1 preference is still for metal, but that's becoming rare, and almost unheard of for board games. After that I'd say resin, then a good, solid styrene plastic (most hard plastic miniatures are styrene), then PVC, then whatever the crap the cheap plastic minis are made of. I suppose lead would be in last place. I have probably a hundred lead miniatures, but I try to avoid working with it at all these days.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

One tip I have found for making resin tolerable is to do a THOROUGH cleaning of the resin before you start assembly. The release agents can prevent CA glue from adhering and setting. I give all of my resin models a soak in simple green and water for about 24 hours, then thorough rinse and gentle brush.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Cool, thanks for the tips!
Serrated or flat?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

reservoir
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:puke-front:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

If anyone wants a shot at winning Western Legends...
My account reached 1000+ followers and I'm doing an international giveaway.
Rules are in the caption.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice! Fun game, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got my intro bundle for Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms miniature set. Definitely plastic figures. But man are they nice. I also am really happy with the quality and quantity of stuff you get in the core rules box alone. The artwork, the card stock, the dice...they're all of good quality.
He won. Period.
Tao

Post by Tao »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:00 pm Just got my intro bundle for Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms miniature set. Definitely plastic figures. But man are they nice. I also am really happy with the quality and quantity of stuff you get in the core rules box alone. The artwork, the card stock, the dice...they're all of good quality.
GameNerdz tracking is showing June 24th. I ordered a couple of other small items while i was browsing the site and I think it delayed the shipment a bit. Glad to hear the good review.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only gripe I have is that the unit cards for non hero characters and adversaries are a little small on the font front. My old eyes have to strain a bit to read the smaller print on them.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I continue to be impressed with “The Delve” random mini-campaign generator for the Descent app.

Little B 11.3 joined me for the first time, and we ran through a 6-level dungeon together. She was a Knight, I played two characters (Wildlander and Disciple). It was just the right length and difficulty for her first time (with a couple of my usual house rule adjustments) and she had an absolute blast. We finished by defeating the big bad and escaping intact with one turn remaining.

My only minor gripe is that I’ve had the same final stage now in two of my three runs. Other than that, it’s been lots of fun.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I had some mask-on, in-person gaming time with a couple of friends this weekend. It was great, and reinforced how much more I prefer in-person over online.

On Juneteenth, we played Rap Godz, the game that raised $80k for Black Lives Matter earlier this month. It's a light game that lends itself to good stories, as you play a sequence of cards onto the timeline of your emcee's career. For example, early in the game I honed my skills at an open mic night and earned street cred for paying off my mom's credit card bill. By the end of the game, I was filling stadiums and dropping $100k on a new car.

Staying with the music theme but moving into a completely different genre, we tried Evergreen, a card game about booking pop music acts in the 1950s. It has one of the weirdest game components I've seen in a while: big spinning discs that look like 7" singles, which are used to track the value of each artist as it fluctuates over time. You're constantly passing these around and across the table as artists jump between players depending on the cards played. A fun family game, although the 50s music theme is kind of bizarre.

Then Ride the Rails, a new train game about building rail lines across the United States. It plays pretty fast for a train game (~90 minutes) and the rules are simple and easy to parse. In the end, that simplicity made it feel a bit too mathy for me, since it often felt like you could calculate the best decision. I'd probably rather play Age of Steam.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Since the kids have shown proficiency with deck builders like Clank, Shards of Infinity, and Hero Realms, I decided to introduce Legendary Marvel yesterday. It was a big hit. They absolutely loved playing as the Avengers, and have been bugging me all morning to do another round with different characters. (EDIT : This morning’s game won by one point of damage on the very last villain deck draw, which elicited a scream so loud Mrs Skinypupy rushed downstairs to see if something was wrong. I call that a success!)

Playing Legendary Marvel led me to break out the most guiltily ignored game on my shelf, Legendary Firefly. I love Firefly. I love Legendary Marvel. I do not love Legendary Firefly. It’s not even the awful card art that turns me off. The game is just...boring. With Marvel, there all sorts of fun card synergies and ways to creatively work together. Firefly just seems to miss all of that. The skills are boring. The actions are dull. The entire thing feels like it was created by someone who watched the show, but didn’t really enjoy it. Almost like they were just going through the motions of creating a game with a bare minimum of effort.

I’ve played through the first three episode arc twice now, and both times have simply not been interested in continuing at all. I’d probably list it as the most disappointing game in my (admittedly small) collection.

Played another two rounds of Street Masters, and eked out victories in both. In the last game, I ended up rolling a 12-die attack to win the game. 3 die super saiyan attack + 2 dice for brass knuckles + tactic that let me discard power tokens to gain dice (another 7). That was pretty fun.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Some good two-player gaming today.

Watergate: The Washington Post vs. Nixon and his gang of crooks. We took each took a turn as Tricky Dick, and in both games truth and the free press prevailed. I really like the tug-of-war nature of the game, which made for very close endings each time, despite some pretty different strategic choices.

Inhuman Conditions: Voight-Kampff test, the game. A clever battle of wits that's as much a role-playing exercise as a game. The physical game itself is incredibly overproduced: a custom-size, heavy box with magnetic clasp; huge, thick cards in weird shapes. We had a good time.

Blitzkrieg!: WW2 in 20 minutes. Super-intuitive and quick, as you deploy resources across five different theaters, trying to stop the enemy from establishing dominance while securing your own. Vaguely reminiscent of Twilight Struggle crossed with Risk. Very vaguely.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I friggin' love Watergate. It's taken the place of 13 Days as my favorite 2 player political game.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Have I mentioned lately how seriously awful this new hobby has been for my bank account? Already had Sword & Sorcery coming this week, and ended up impulse buying Lords of Waterdeep and the xpac on Amazon today, just because they were on sale. :oops:

I have less willpower to resist board games than I do for video games. That’s...not good.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You made a good choice. LoW is a fantastic worker placement game.