[Uncertainty] NFL 2020 Off Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gameoverman

Re: NFL 2020 Off Season

Post by gameoverman »

I think with Brady gone it's a foregone conclusion the Patriots are in rebuilding mode. The thing is they've never been in rebuilding mode since Brady became the starter so I'm not sure what the Patriots rebuilding mode will look like. The NFL had games even when they couldn't play with 'real' players or 'real' officials so I don't think they'll cancel the season. They'll want to leave the playoffs and Super Bowl schedule as is, so my bet is the season starts later than previously planned, possibly with no preseason or a drastically shortened one.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Cam Newton without a team, I didn't think I'd see that so soon. Talk about bad luck, with this pandemic he can't show he's ready to play. Of course I'm assuming he's ready to play. If I was an owner and my team sucked I'd sign him up. It's worth a gamble.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Maybe Belichick will bite.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm Maybe Belichick will bite.
I'd be surprised. I'd rather think he'd take on the challenge of creating a new star.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:33 pm Andy Dalton might be available as well:
The Bengals informed their longtime quarterback that they’re willing to work with him in order to facilitate a trade,
Dalton released outright today.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

This has been a strange year, obviously, but one of the stranger things for me is the QB situation in the NFL. It feels like in all the time I've been watching football, quarterbacks are always in short supply. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. That means Trent Dilfer actually earned a place on a team's roster. Yet today there are QBs who would have been fought over in previous years but this year they are about as in demand as Beanie Babies.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There are so many young, cheap QBs in the NFL that haven’t failed yet. Most teams feel like they have an answer. Who are those needy teams?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm Who are those needy teams?
That usually starts to become apparent around week 3 when starters go down and that well-regarded draft pick is channeling his inner Caleb Haney when given a chance to start.
Last edited by Jeff V on Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm There are so many young, cheap QBs in the NFL that haven’t failed yet. Most teams feel like they have an answer. Who are those needy teams?
I think I'd take Andy Dalton or Cam Newton as my starting QB over the starters in Miami, New England, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington, and San Diego right now. But outside of New England, they either have placeholder QBs, or young QBs who've shown some flashes. Stidham starting would scare me if I were a New England fan.

But you're right. There really aren't very many truly needy teams. Maybe Seattle (because they have no one at all behind Russell Wilson) and New England, and that's really it?
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I could see Dalton in NE, at a discount price of course, leading them to a playoff berth this season.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

gameoverman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:52 pm Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. That means Trent Dilfer actually earned a place on a team's roster.
Mel Kiper wrote:To pass up a Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh — give me a break. That's why the Colts are picking second every year in the draft and not battling for the Super Bowl like other clubs in the National Football League.
:D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Scuzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm I could see Dalton in NE, at a discount price of course, leading them to a playoff berth this season.
It also seems like Newton is the type of player NE likes to bring in for at least a year or two (e.g. talented players with big personalities). I suppose the biggest question surrounding Newton is his health; he hasn't had a fully healthy season in at least three years. But he is still relatively young and only five years off an MVP season. It seems like someone would certainly have taken a flier on him. I guess I'm not sure how much he is asking for, though.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm I could see Dalton in NE, at a discount price of course, leading them to a playoff berth this season.
It also seems like Newton is the type of player NE likes to bring in for at least a year or two (e.g. talented players with big personalities). I suppose the biggest question surrounding Newton is his health; he hasn't had a fully healthy season in at least three years. But he is still relatively young and only five years off an MVP season. It seems like someone would certainly have taken a flier on him. I guess I'm not sure how much he is asking for, though.
Yeah, I wish the Patriots would bring in Newton, but as you say it does depend on what he's asking for. Also it may be that Belichick's just going to punt the 2020-2021 season, and then just bring in DeShaun Watson for 2021.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:36 pm
Yeah, I wish the Patriots would bring in Newton, but as you say it does depend on what he's asking for. Also it may be that Belichick's just going to punt the 2020-2021 season, and then just bring in DeShaun Watson for 2021.
Belichick will probably get Bill O'Brien to trade Watson for Brian Hoyer.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:04 pm
Then Belichick will find some obscure league rule that allows him to not have to send Hoyer but instead someone off the Patriots practice squad three years from now. That's the kind of guy he is.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anyone else catch the E60 “Project 11” documentary on Alex Smith last night? Incredible stuff.

Simultaneously one of the most gruesome and uplifting things I’ve seen in a while. Dude is tough as nails, and my respect for him and his wife went through the roof.

That shot of his leg during the worst of the infection will haunt my dreams. :shudder:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:21 am Anyone else catch the E60 “Project 11” documentary on Alex Smith last night? Incredible stuff.

Simultaneously one of the most gruesome and uplifting things I’ve seen in a while. Dude is tough as nails, and my respect for him and his wife went through the roof.

That shot of his leg during the worst of the infection will haunt my dreams. :shudder:
Just read the story written by his wife and featured on ESPN this morning. Couldn’t agree more - what a tough guy! My take away from the story is that mindset and perspective are everything in this world.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:47 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:04 pm
Then Belichick will find some obscure league rule that allows him to not have to send Hoyer but instead someone off the Patriots practice squad three years from now. That's the kind of guy he is.
Well, if the Texans sign a trade agreement that doesn't specify *which* Brian Hoyer that they're getting, then that's on them.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dalton signs for 1 year with the Cowboys.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:00 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:21 am Anyone else catch the E60 “Project 11” documentary on Alex Smith last night? Incredible stuff.

Just read the story written by his wife and featured on ESPN this morning. Couldn’t agree more - what a tough guy! My take away from the story is that mindset and perspective are everything in this world.
man when they showed his leg after the 8th time they chiseled away at it was crazy. And he kept a good attitude about it. I hope he succeeds with his goal of coming back.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The man is fortunate that he has a leg and can walk. I sincerely hopes he plays no further games in the NFL.

And his wife is hawt - stay at home with her and the kids.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

His family Halloween costume last year (incorporating the leg injury) was hilarious.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Don Shula has died. He was 90.

Sad, but that's a good run.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Re: [Uncertainty] NFL 2020 Off Season

Post by Jaymann »

Bears decline to pick up Trubisky's 5th year option. Does this mean they will get all those draft picks back?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:39 am His family Halloween costume last year (incorporating the leg injury) was hilarious.

Yes, my main reaction to this picture is that it is hilarious.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:07 am Don Shula has died. He was 90.

Sad, but that's a good run.
Saw that. The guy is a legend in Miami. He coached them from 1970 - 1995. Thats me age 1 - 26. He is all I still know who have coached the Dolphins lol. Heard his name mentioned so much in the 1980s. RIP.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought this article from The Ringer on how Offensive Lineman relate to food to be really good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That jersey #4 is a hot mama.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Why do they all have long hair?

Has there ever been any NFL QB with long hair?

Also, F the NFL.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:14 pm Why do they all have long hair?

Has there ever been any NFL QB with long hair?

Also, F the NFL.
Namath had long-ish hair, not that long though. And, of course, Kap is rocking a major 'fro. Good question though, there's been plenty of long-haired players, just not really at QB. Probably it's a sack hazard.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cam Newton signs with the Patriots. Where's my Pats lovin' bros on this?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am Cam Newton signs with the Patriots. Where's my Pats lovin' bros on this?
Sweet! I was wondering why this didn't happen earlier - guessing that Newton was looking for a longer deal, but couldn't get it. Obviously there are injury risks, and the Patriots receiver corps is still terrible, but the upside here is obviously tremendous.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FedEx has called for the Washington NFL team to change its name, and Nike has pulled all Washington gear from its website.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Washington Shark Skins?

The Washington Red Scare?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:42 pm The Washington Shark Skins?

I recently read a suggestion to change the name to "Pigskins". Pigskin being used for footballs, plus you can still call them the 'skins.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 pm

I recently read a suggestion to change the name to "Pigskins". Pigskin being used for footballs, plus you can still call them the 'skins.
Plus the “hogs” thing. I like it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

geezer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Plus the “hogs” thing. I like it.
It's offensive to Porcine-Americans.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The three minority owners of the Washington Redskins are seeking to sell their shares in the team because they are "not happy being a partner" with owner Daniel Snyder, The Washington Post has reported, citing sources familiar with the deliberations.

Prominent businessmen Robert Rothman, Dwight Schar and Frederick W. Smith, who combined own about 40% of the team, have hired an investment banking firm to undergo a search for possible buyers, one of the sources told The Post.
Coach Ron Rivera told The Post on Saturday that he has been working with Snyder on a new team nickname in recent weeks. The team announced Friday that it will "undergo a thorough review" of the nickname.

One person who is familiar with the relationships between Snyder and the Redskins' minority shareholders told ESPN's John Keim that he felt this had to come as a big surprise to Snyder because he considered them all friends.