A Biden VP thought I haven't seen anywhere...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jeff V

Re: A Biden VP thought I haven't seen anywhere...

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm I'd say that having a female minority in the VP slot would be his strongest move. So definitely Warren. :lol:
Warren I think would be the least impactful of those presumed to be in the running. There's no evidence she will magically energize the Native American demographic, for example.

A rather intriguing candidate is Tammy Duckworth. Asian/American war hero is somewhat less likely to mobilize the deplorables than Harris (who I still think is the front runner and deserves to be).
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Klobuchar has stepped aside.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think conventional wisdom had already counted Klobuchar out, but I'm kind of glad I don't have to worry about Biden going rogue and picking her anyway.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Biden - Harris, that's the ticket.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Most pundits are interpreting this as Klobuchar striking a blow against Warren (whom Klob believes too far left).

Biden is probably down to choosing between Harris and Warren. The Warren pick helps with Progressives, while Harris's strengths are her (relative) youth, demographics, and sheer presidential aura. Both Harris and Warren kick ass as debaters and thinkers.

I supported Warren all through the primary, but I expect and look forward to a Harris pick. The only downside is that (as a former prosecutor) she's open to being blasted as a "cop" by the hard left. However, her voting record is far more progressive than her reputation, and she seems to be coming out big for police reform on Twitter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A darkhorse I see mentioned occasionally is one of my senators, Tammy Duckworth. She's a disabled Asian American war veteran. I don't know too much about her legislative chops, but she checks many of the right boxes - minority, female, military bona fides, young. Plus she's from a state that is likely to reliably replace her with another D senator. Not a particularly likely candidate, but interesting nonetheless.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:35 pm A darkhorse I see mentioned occasionally is one of my senators, Tammy Duckworth. She's a disabled Asian American war veteran. I don't know too much about her legislative chops, but she checks many of the right boxes - minority, female, military bona fides, young. Plus she's from a state that is likely to reliably replace her with another D senator. Not a particularly likely candidate, but interesting nonetheless.
I hope not, I like her where she is (selfish, I know). Fortunately for her constituency it's not likely.

It would be nice to see her deal with Pence.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 pm I think conventional wisdom had already counted Klobuchar out, but I'm kind of glad I don't have to worry about Biden going rogue and picking her anyway.
Most particularly after BLM/Minnesota and her history there - particularly with Chauvin (sp?).

However, Harris has some similar issues from her time in CA. If he goes with her, there will be some hits based on her record as AG and in SF, but she appears to be hitting all the right notes now, and AFAIK, SF has not had quite the same issues with deaths inflicted by police as Minnesota had, so it might not be as inflammatory.

What I really, really don't want to see is Stacey Abrams from GA.

Whoever is VP 100% needs to be ready to be President in the Covid era, especially with Biden's age and his old statement of probably only serving one term. It's going to take longer than that to fix this, and I have zero confidence that Abrams would make a decent Vice President, let alone President, and I have zero confidence that she could win in 2024 if she needs to run at the top.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Per a NYT article last Sunday, I don't think the Biden campaign has reached out to Abrams, so she seems unlikely at this point. One of the candidates they've been vetting is Susan Rice, which surprises me. It seems like she would be a gift to the conspiracy-minded and right wing media, but of course they'll go after anyone I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:33 pm Per a NYT article last Sunday, I don't think the Biden campaign has reached out to Abrams, so she seems unlikely at this point. One of the candidates they've been vetting is Susan Rice, which surprises me. It seems like she would be a gift to the conspiracy-minded and right wing media, but of course they'll go after anyone I guess.
This makes me wonder how many Obama-administration veterans will be making a return to the Biden administration. Biden has relationships with all of them, and some of them are probably the potential nominees he trusts most.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:39 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:33 pm Per a NYT article last Sunday, I don't think the Biden campaign has reached out to Abrams, so she seems unlikely at this point. One of the candidates they've been vetting is Susan Rice, which surprises me. It seems like she would be a gift to the conspiracy-minded and right wing media, but of course they'll go after anyone I guess.
This makes me wonder how many Obama-administration veterans will be making a return to the Biden administration. Biden has relationships with all of them, and some of them are probably the potential nominees he trusts most.
Given how many lifers Trump drove out of Washington entirely, the ability to appeal to them personally may be a huge advantage once he's sworn in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

No way.

Her son is a supporter of Trump. Why play with that shit?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 am
No way.

Her son is a supporter of Trump. Why play with that shit?
Susan Rice's son?

Anyway, I have also read some low level buzz about Susan Rice, which seems crazy to me. I'm sure she's smart and capable and everything, but I'm also reasonably confident that a plurality of people who recognize her name know her from Trump's crazy conspiracy theorizing. I don't know why you'd willingly walk into that - would inevitably generate a ton of mainstream media articles into her role in the whole unmasking thing, and I really don't have a lot of confidence that the media and voters would understand all of that and why Trump's claims are crazy.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:40 am Susan Rice's son?

Anyway, I have also read some low level buzz about Susan Rice, which seems crazy to me. I'm sure she's smart and capable and everything, but I'm also reasonably confident that a plurality of people who recognize her name know her from Trump's crazy conspiracy theorizing. I don't know why you'd willingly walk into that - would inevitably generate a ton of mainstream media articles into her role in the whole unmasking thing, and I really don't have a lot of confidence that the media and voters would understand all of that and why Trump's claims are crazy.
I have a tiny bit of worry about this. I think they typically aren't good at anticipating...well anything coverage related. They are always hopelessly on the defensive there. So considering that I think they need to go to basics and prepare to take a walloping. Rice is a good choice from the fundamentals level. Hopefully that'd override the negatives.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't see Susan Rice as viable. Going from National Security Adviser to Vice-President (and potentially to President) just isn't a traditional path and seems like too big a step up. And the conspiracy baggage, fake as it is, is still too much of a headwind.

Plus I don't recall her having a great deal of public charisma. Maybe I just never saw it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:10 am I don't see Susan Rice as viable. Going from National Security Adviser to Vice-President (and potentially to President) just isn't a traditional path and seems like too big a step up. And the conspiracy baggage, fake as it is, is still too much of a headwind.

Plus I don't recall her having a great deal of public charisma. Maybe I just never saw it.
She might not be viable but Bush I went from CIA Director to VP. It isn't that far off from that path. The only real difference is Rice never was a legislator or party leader (Bush I was Chair of the RNC at some point IIRC). I don't know if those details matter as much now. The politics are very different. As to charisma that doesn't matter as much for a VP. They just have to not mess up. She is pretty competent so I don't think that'd be an issue.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:40 am
Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 am Her son is a supporter of Trump. Why play with that shit?
Susan Rice's son?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/politics ... index.html

yep

on top of the 'unmasking' thing, there would be people pointing out that her son is GOP, etc.

It would be a bad pick, IMO.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Rice drum beat is getting louder.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oof - I hope he doesn’t go that route; the right wing news outlets would have a field day and get the base riled up. Why not just have her in the cabinet?
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm hoping Biden's picking a VP based on who he can work well with and who could competently succeed him in 2024; not on how Fox News viewers will react.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 pm I'm hoping Biden's picking a VP based on who he can work well with and who could competently succeed him in 2024; not on how Fox News viewers will react.
Yeah she is a fine choice if he goes with her. The right freaking out is a given.