Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:03 pm I think I mentioned this before, but when it comes to sharing bathrooms, neither sex wants me in one of those stalls when they enter the room.
Would it hurt to wear pants/skirt/shrinkwrap?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

While not politically random, I did think of hep when I read the most recent Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. (Note: It's the hover text that makes it.)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Easy children. Mine was a gastrointestinal warning, not a missing pants one.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:22 pm Easy children. Mine was a gastrointestinal warning, not a missing pants one.
I got that. I wasn't responding to you restroom comment. Rather to prior posting history regarding your disposition towards garments for your lower half. I was struck by the truth that one cannot truly appreciate the freedom of going without if one has never experienced going with.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will put that to the test today. Hopefully no one else goes to the office while I’m doing so.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 am I will put that to the test today. Hopefully no one else goes to the office while I’m doing so.

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The tyranny of pants!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:33 am The tyranny of pants!
Don't you hate pants??
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:05 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:33 am The tyranny of pants!
Don't you hate pants??
Can you really ever have too many pants?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:

:lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Tucker Carlson has one of the most-watched shows on cable news, but the Fox News Channel host is losing advertisers – again.

Whereas in 2018, when 20 companies yanked their ads after Carlson obtusely proclaimed that undocumented immigrants made America “poorer, and dirtier, and more divided,” this time the exits are over the host’s stance on the death of George Floyd and the ensuing nationwide protests against police violence and racism.

Both Disney and T-Mobile have cut ties with the primetime Tucker Carlson Tonight over the host’s polarizing point of view on the Black Lives Matter movement and the desire for justice and equality in America that many of its members advocate. Along with Papa John’s, the media giant and the telecommunications brand faced a backlash in recent days for their association with Carlson and his belief that the well-attended protests were “Black Lives Matter riots.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I saw a hashtag on Twitter this morning #IStandWithTuckerCarlson with well north of 100K tweets. Many likely should have been read by bots with heavy Russian accents. It was promptly taken over by BLM supporters.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We were shocked to read the internal CDC documents instructing the agency's media relations office to refuse media requests from "anyone associated with Voice of America," citing White House tweets accusing VOA of spreading Chinese propaganda. VOA, a federally-funded independent news organization, strongly rejects the accusations and calls on the CDC to immediately withdraw the instructions. The CDC documents were released this week in response to a Knight First Amendment Institute’s FOIA request.

For a federal agency’s public affairs office to categorically deny in advance interview requests from VOA journalists, including our colleague Greta Van Susteren, based on a White House opinion statement referring to an Associated Press story about COVID-19 shared by the VOA newsroom as "propaganda," is even more troubling.
Holman

Post by Holman »

As a child of the Cold War, I'm trying to get my head around how that even works.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:27 pm As a child of the Cold War, I'm trying to get my head around how that even works.
It gets more insane when the CDC claim is that VOA is doing the bidding of China. It's pants on heads crazy.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is a hell of an article from The Bulwark pointing out how the GOP is cannibalizing their own here in Virginia, having a shady primary to oust a sitting Congressman (Denver Riggleman) who would have held on to his seat in a gerrymandered district because he had the gall to officiate a same-sex wedding of two gay volunteers on his campaign.

As noted in the article, the winner of the primary (Bob Good) might not even qualify for the general election because his campaign is an utter train wreck.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:48 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:27 pm As a child of the Cold War, I'm trying to get my head around how that even works.
It gets more insane when the CDC claim is that VOA is doing the bidding of China. It's pants on heads crazy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Have we got nothing on Ted Cruz's Twitter fight with Ron Perlman??

So Ted Cruz pulls an apparently sincere "Let's you and him fight!" on Ron Perlman (who is 70)...

But the winning comment:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:23 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:48 pm
I can understand it, but that doesn't seem like the right move.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:55 pm I can understand it, but that doesn't seem like the right move.
They're resigning in protest because their new boss is going to be a disciple of Steve Bannon.
Two veteran journalists in charge of Voice of America, Amanda Bennett and Sandra Sugawara, resigned on Monday as a result of the recent congressional confirmation of a conservative activist and filmmaker to be the head of the agency that oversees the government broadcast organization.

President Trump has in recent months placed extraordinary pressure on Voice of America by personally denouncing its work and pushing Republicans in the Senate to confirm Michael Pack, the filmmaker. Mr. Pack, who is a close ally of Stephen K. Bannon, the former campaign strategist and White House adviser for Mr. Trump, was confirmed on June 4 by the Republican-controlled Senate. Democratic leaders had opposed Mr. Pack’s confirmation.
Steve. Bannon.

Oh, and according to CNN, the plan is to bring Sebastian Gorka in to a leadership position as well.

(Wasn't VOA originally founded to *fight* fascism?)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:20 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:55 pm I can understand it, but that doesn't seem like the right move.
They're resigning in protest because their new boss is going to be a disciple of Steve Bannon.
Two veteran journalists in charge of Voice of America, Amanda Bennett and Sandra Sugawara, resigned on Monday as a result of the recent congressional confirmation of a conservative activist and filmmaker to be the head of the agency that oversees the government broadcast organization.

President Trump has in recent months placed extraordinary pressure on Voice of America by personally denouncing its work and pushing Republicans in the Senate to confirm Michael Pack, the filmmaker. Mr. Pack, who is a close ally of Stephen K. Bannon, the former campaign strategist and White House adviser for Mr. Trump, was confirmed on June 4 by the Republican-controlled Senate. Democratic leaders had opposed Mr. Pack’s confirmation.
Steve. Bannon.

Oh, and according to CNN, the plan is to bring Sebastian Gorka in to a leadership position as well.

(Wasn't VOA originally founded to *fight* fascism?)
This is firmly on the GOP Senate and once again they won't be held to the fire for it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Edit: If you don't have context on this, 3 NYPD officers got Shake Shack and got sick. They claim there was bleach added to the drinks. Multiple police unions accused Shake Shack of intentionally poisoning them. It was a flash ragegasm (as Rick Wilson called it). By the morning Shake Shack was cleared.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This whole thing with human slimeball Matt Gaetz suddenly producing a 19 year old Cuban born adopted son after getting into an argument with another congressman about racism (specifically how Gaetz doesn’t have any personal experience with the subject) is....odd. Gaetz has never mentioned an adopted son before, but he has posted pictures of the young man before, but referenced him only as a “local student” or a house page.

follow the weirdness, if you dare.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:36 pm This whole thing with human slimeball Matt Gaetz suddenly producing a 19 year old Cuban born adopted son after getting into an argument with another congressman about racism (specifically how Gaetz doesn’t have any personal experience with the subject) is....odd. Gaetz has never mentioned an adopted son before, but he has posted pictures of the young man before, but referenced him only as a “local student” or a house page.

follow the weirdness, if you dare.
Fuck, that was my retirement plan. Adopt a 14-year-old prospect with an 85+ MPH fastball.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"As you can see, I've got my s...helper, Nestor, here..."

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been following this story since it was reported and it makes absolutely no sense to me. The more information that comes out, the less sense it makes. I can only assume Gaetz was paid a suitcase full of money by Trump for a distraction and he's sharing it with a random Cuban teenager that has apparently be living in his 1BR apartment for 7 years? See what I mean? It's insane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's as Grifman points out:

A man can take in a child of great need and raise/help them for years and perhaps even be regarded as 'good' in that child's life, all the while that person can also clearly, repeatedly, and endlessly demonstrate the most horrible things to all of us, betray the entire country - and yet we are left to her wonder: is he good, or is he bad?

He's not a good person.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The depths to which humans will stoop to achieve his/her own selfish goals no longer astounds me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:36 pm This whole thing with human slimeball Matt Gaetz suddenly producing a 19 year old Cuban born adopted son after getting into an argument with another congressman about racism (specifically how Gaetz doesn’t have any personal experience with the subject) is....odd. Gaetz has never mentioned an adopted son before, but he has posted pictures of the young man before, but referenced him only as a “local student” or a house page.
That explains all those Twitter people saying they adopted people from Cuba with pictures of very clear non-Cubans! (My favorite was George Takei adopting Colbert.) I had no idea what to search to figure it out. Thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:35 pm I've been following this story since it was reported and it makes absolutely no sense to me. The more information that comes out, the less sense it makes. I can only assume Gaetz was paid a suitcase full of money by Trump for a distraction and he's sharing it with a random Cuban teenager that has apparently be living in his 1BR apartment for 7 years? See what I mean? It's insane.
Wasn't that an episode of Archer?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even if true, this was clearly a cheap political stunt on his part and he exploited him. It also makes zero difference in the context of the argument he had with Rep. Cedric Richmond, who handled Gaetz the way he should be: as a childish nuisance.
Richmond, who is Black, was making remarks about the Justice in Policing Act saying, "to my colleagues, especially the ones who keep introducing amendments that are a tangent and a distraction to what we are talking about, you all are white males, you have never lived in my shoes and you do not know what it is like to be an African American male."

Gaetz asked Richmond if he was insinuating that Republican congressmen did not have any "non-white" children, to which Richmond quickly responded, "Matt, I am not about to get sidetracked about the color of our children. I reclaim my time!"
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In my ignorance, I just to the very first thing google throws at me

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/19/mat ... or-galban/
“Our relationship as a family is defined by our love for each other, not by any paperwork,”
I sort of feel like a single step-parent at times
We have need no paperwork, I love you as if you were my stepchild?

That is weird to me. Seriously. Is that just me?

I don't want knock to adoptive or step parents. I don't know what it's like to in those shoes but don't they make the leap of love by saying "you are my son/daughter"?
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:43 am We have need no paperwork, I love you as if you were my stepchild?

I don't want knock to adoptive or step parents. I don't know what it's like to in those shoes but don't they make the leap of love by saying "you are my son/daughter"?
To be fair, it's probably difficult for an unmarried man with a DUI history to legally adopt a child...

So a 12-year-old Cuban immigrant came to live with the unmarried Gaetz when the latter was 24. It was not a formal adoption. Who was this minor's legal guardian until, say, last year?

This is very weird. Gaetz is very weird.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently it's next to impossible to adopt a child from Cuba. I read a few claims that only one has been successful, and that was a girl. But in his defense, I don't think he ever actually says "adopted".

I don't see anything nefarious at this point. I do see a man with so little integrity that he felt he needed to use someone close to his family as a political tool, though.

Gaetz is weird, yes. He's also really, really slimey.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The story I read is that he was a child of a former girlfriend who (somehow) ended up living with Gaetz after the relationship ended.

Could explain the lack of official adoption documentation, but doesn’t lessen either the slimy or creepy factors any.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Skinypupy wrote:The story I read is that he was a child of a former girlfriend who (somehow) ended up living with Gaetz after the relationship ended.
That makes this 0.0001% less creepy. Without that, an unmarried single male taking in a just pre-teen boy that he’s not related too should be setting off some alarm bells, no?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's his helper. Can't a man have another man as his live-in helper?

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:43 am In my ignorance, I just to the very first thing google throws at me

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/19/mat ... or-galban/
“Our relationship as a family is defined by our love for each other, not by any paperwork,”
I sort of feel like a single step-parent at times
We have need no paperwork, I love you as if you were my stepchild?

Has he put his 'helper' in his 'will'?

rhetorical.