How are you staying sane in 2020? (Now with bonus 2021 sanity!) (Is it 2022 already?)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

paulbaxter

Re: How are you staying sane in 2020?

Post by paulbaxter »

I've been playing piano every day for the last few weeks. I'll read through a Bach Prelude and Fugue (badly) each day, and I'm also working on a Scott Joplin rag little by little. Progress is always small and incremental, but certainly every few days I'm noticeably better at part of it. Also, playing this stuff is challenging enough to absorb my attention fully, which I find helpful in stressful times.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 pm Nah, new hobbies that take up space and cost money aren't a viable option. I've got stuff I could do, I just don't have anywhere to do it!
How do you feel about angling (fishing)?

It makes for a pleasant way to enjoy the summer weather, and would at least get you out of the house. Even if you don't have any equipment at all, it really doesn't cost much at all for a decent freshwater spinning rod combo.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 pm Nah, new hobbies that take up space and cost money aren't a viable option. I've got stuff I could do, I just don't have anywhere to do it!

It makes for a pleasant way to enjoy the summer weather, and would at least get you out of the house. Even if you don't have any equipment at all, it really doesn't cost much at all for a decent freshwater spinning rod combo.
When I lived in central California I loved fishing. Same thing when I moved to Reno. I lived for it, read about it, practiced, and used to find a way to go three or four times a week. I used to love to go to Pine Flat, Bass Lake, the King's River, the Truckee, Tahoe, Donner. In fact, one of my first 'legitimate' jobs was tying flies for a fly shop in Reno (I was maybe 14.) I gave it up when I moved to Indiana, though. I really dislike fishing here. In fact, as someone who grew up spending most of their time outdoors, I genuinely don't enjoy the Indiana outdoors. There are a variety of reasons, from the insects to the style of fishing to the lack of locations that aren't private property to what 'outdoors' means around here. Summers being 92 degrees with 70-90% humidity takes a lot of the fun out, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Don't kill fish. Just make start making music or painting. Or try Factorio, there is no pace to the game and you can play coop and continue as single and go back to coop.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We went fishing the other day and killed 21 of them. Had a friend's family over for fish fry. Kids have the bloodlust now and want to go kill more of them.

Almost caught my first turtle on a hook-and-line. Got it right to shore before it got off the hook. Friend's wife caught a large bull frog, still about a dozen short for having enough for a frog legs appetizer.
Black Lives Matter
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Once you will have to stand in front of our octopus overlords and explain yourself about your stance regarding seafood.
Anonymous Bosch

Zitterbacke wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:13 pm Once you will have to stand in front of our octopus overlords and explain yourself about your stance regarding seafood.
Given their dietary preferences, one would think they ought to thoroughly approve:

What Do Octopuses Eat?
Reference.com wrote:According to National Geographic, the common octopus preys on crabs, crayfish and molluscs. Bottom-dwelling octopuses feed mainly on polychaete worms, crabs, whelks and clams. Open-ocean octopuses subsist on prawns, fish and other cephalopods. The giant Pacific octopus feeds on shrimp, clams, lobsters and fish, and even larger prey, such as sharks and birds.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

When did you have a look at the forums logo? Those guys eat people! Well, buildings with people in them.
Anonymous Bosch

Zitterbacke wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:43 pm When did you have a look at the forums logo? Those guys eat people! Well, buildings with people in them.
Perhaps so. And come to think of it, they may take none too kindly to the notion of lowly humans consuming the preferred food of their more diminutive progeny.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Birds?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:46 pmBirds?
Indeed, a giant octopus is a legit badass. If you think a bald eagle would necessarily fare better against an octopus, think again:

Eagle v octopus: Canadians rescue bird locked in battle with giant mollusc
TheGuardian.com wrote:

A bald eagle on Canada’s west coast has learned that its eyes may be bigger than its stomach after it was nearly drowned by an octopus it tried to eat.

After hearing shrieks coming from the water on the north-western tip of Vancouver Island, employees at a fish farm investigating the noises happened upon a bird and cephalopod locked in battle.

The giant Pacific octopus, which had turned a deep crimson, had wound its tentacles tightly around the eagle, which was floating helplessly at the surface.

“At first we just watched and we didn’t know if we should interfere because, you know, it’s Mother Nature,” John Ilett, an employee at Mowi West Canada, told CTV News.

But realizing the eagle was likely to drown, the crew decided to intervene.

Ilett maneuvered a pike pole in the water to pull the octopus over to the boat. The crew managed to haul both aboard, disentangling the bird from the strong tentacles, before tossing the octopus back into the water.

“He deprived the poor octopus of a good meal,” joked Jennifer Mather, an octopus expert at the University of Lethbridge. Octopuses are generalist predators, said Mather, meaning they often seek out whatever food is nearby and edible.

“They’re quite wide in their prey choice,” she said, pointing to another recent incident on Vancouver Island where an octopus devoured a seagull. “If something is on the surface of the water, and the octopus is close to the surface of the water, it’s food.”
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 pm

When I lived in central California I loved fishing. Same thing when I moved to Reno. I lived for it, read about it, practiced, and used to find a way to go three or four times a week. I used to love to go to Pine Flat, Bass Lake, the King's River,
I have spent time at all three. I live in Clovis.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How are you staying sane in 2020?
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm
A bald eagle on Canada’s west coast has learned that its eyes may be bigger than its stomach after it was nearly drowned by an octopus it tried to eat.
Not doing great, no.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:06 pm

When I lived in central California I loved fishing. Same thing when I moved to Reno. I lived for it, read about it, practiced, and used to find a way to go three or four times a week. I used to love to go to Pine Flat, Bass Lake, the King's River,
Harvard Avenue as a small child, West Alamos during the 7th grade, and North Blackstone in Fresno during 8th. I left for Reno after that.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Harvard Avenue as a small child, West Alamos during the 7th grade, and North Blackstone in Fresno during 8th. I left for Reno after that.
I lived at the corner of Cambridge and Maple, went to Norsemen Elementary. Yosemite Jr High and McLane High.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sierra Vista for Kindergarten and 6th grade (full circle there), then Kastner for 7th & 8th.
Haranguer

Post by Haranguer »

Alcohol + gaming.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Haranguer wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:10 pm Alcohol + gaming.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:35 pm Sierra Vista for Kindergarten and 6th grade (full circle there), then Kastner for 7th & 8th.
I played baseball at Sierra Vista.

Small world.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My wife and I are doing pretty well. On the days we don't have anything planned I get up and go walk for an hour, then we play in the pool for awhile, eat brunch and watch some TV. Some days we shop as needed.

We've been going to a drive-on beach a couple of times a week, setting up our canopy and sitting in our zero-gravity chairs, kicking back and reading.

There is a dinner theater on the other side of the state that finally opened back up and we attended our first play since February. The room is big enough to seat over 400, but they had less than fifty people with parties carefully spaced. The play was fun.

And my treat was to visit a couple of my favorite used book stores over there which reopened a couple of weeks ago. Not having been to them since February they had a lot of new (used) history books on the shelves and I bought 21 of them :roll:. My wife occasionally mentions something about how I must have a hundred or so already on my shelves I need to read... I just nod and agree; she's off by about one order of magnitude 8-). I love my books :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After a couple of months on backorder, my Remington hair clipper arrived today and is charging now. Soon I will be able to shear my mane. I pray that the result will not be too comical.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 pm After a couple of months on backorder, my Remington hair clipper arrived today and is charging now. Soon I will be able to shear my mane. I pray that the result will not be too comical.
I finally was ready to let my wife have at it (we've had a shear set for years). I had been rocking an Einstein for the last month or so. When I told her I had two video conference interviews this week, she said I ought to get it professionally done. The experience was as good as I think it could be. The stylists all had Covid-19 certs from whatever group grants such things. The front door was locked, even with an appointment, had to wait outside until they were ready for me.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:17 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 pm After a couple of months on backorder, my Remington hair clipper arrived today and is charging now. Soon I will be able to shear my mane. I pray that the result will not be too comical.
I finally was ready to let my wife have at it (we've had a shear set for years). I had been rocking an Einstein for the last month or so. When I told her I had two video conference interviews this week, she said I ought to get it professionally done. The experience was as good as I think it could be. The stylists all had Covid-19 certs from whatever group grants such things. The front door was locked, even with an appointment, had to wait outside until they were ready for me.
Haircuts are a 6 on the risk scale. I haven't done anything over a 4. I'm willing to roll occasional saving throws for encounters I really want. Haircuts are not on my really want list. Besides, when I get mine cut it's usually just #2 on the back and sides and #4 on top, and blend the line. I think I can do that. Since I can't see the back, it might be mullet time. Wife says she won't help, but she'll change her mind if she sees me rocking a mullet.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I haven't cut my hair since I cut it all off a year and a half ago. All my relatives and friends want to cut it off.
If I decide to do it I'll do it myself. I think it was around 1978 that I went to a barbershop and had it done. Been doing it myself ever since.
My hair has looked bad ever since then.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Our very welcome third wheel is staying until the end of summer so we dodged the potential bullet of putting the kids in daycare and summer camp with both of us working in July and August. We'll see what happens in September.

Still continuing with too much food and booze. Otherwise my relaxing time is mostly mindless video games.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Haircuts are a 6 on the risk scale. I haven't done anything over a 4. I'm willing to roll occasional saving throws for encounters I really want. Haircuts are not on my really want list. Besides, when I get mine cut it's usually just #2 on the back and sides and #4 on top, and blend the line. I think I can do that. Since I can't see the back, it might be mullet time. Wife says she won't help, but she'll change her mind if she sees me rocking a mullet.
There are youtube videos that show how to do this yourself (of course), and I was gung ho and ready to go after watching a couple. Fortunately MHS stepped in and did an awesome job. There's no chance I'd have got my neckline correct on my own, but fortunately I think she'd be willing to help out with that part (in the hypothetical future, where I trim up the rest on my own).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is that It from the TV series or the movie?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TV...see its black and white. Plus It wore round glasses in tv and square in movies. The one in the movies didn't seem right to me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I would have held out longer or let my wife had at it...she did a good job with the kids, but really gave the dog a hack job -- it's grown out now so she wants me to take her to the groomer. And that reminds me she's due for her 3 year rabies shot, if expired, the groomer won't touch her. That's going to be a $200 haircut when all is said and done. Anyway, with two job interviews this week, I needed to look more normal.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Your wife needs a rabies shot?
Maybe you ought to keep her inside more.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm
I would have held out longer or let my wife had at it...she did a good job with the kids, but really gave the dog a hack job -- it's grown out now so she wants me to take her to the groomer. And that reminds me she's due for her 3 year rabies shot, if expired, the groomer won't touch her. That's going to be a $200 haircut when all is said and done. Anyway, with two job interviews this week, I needed to look more normal.
I never actually NEED to go out into the world, and when I do it doesn't matter how I look. Wife, OTOH, spends as much on haircuts as your dog does.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We started having haircuts back in mid-May when Florida allowed barbershops and beauticians to reopen. My wife had been having her hair cut by the same woman for 25 years, and me since I retired. It's a little shop and we feel very safe there. Same way with my wife's manicurist, who has a one woman shop. It's one of my wife's few vices.

We were scheduled to go over to the other coast of Florida to Fort Myers to see another play last week, but the week before they cancelled the first week of the new production (The Sound of Music). Although we tried to reschedule we couldn't find a date with open seats up front where we like to sit, so we opted to again let them keep our money :?. Turns out it didn't matter which day we had, as a couple of days ago the management canceled all performances of the musical.

We are scheduled to return to Fort Myers in August to see the Dean Martin Variety Show, a stage production takeoff on the old variety show which apparently has been well received elsewhere. My wife and I both remember the original TV show so selecting it was a no brainer. And it is my wife's 70th birthday so it will be a special treat. We are going to make alternate plans as who knows what will happen.

Otherwise it's been not much different for us during the summer. It's too damn hot to do much outdoors except go to the beach a couple of times a week. Otherwise we do some shopping, do lunch or dinner out and occasionally take drives to places we haven't been in a while. Although movie theaters are allowed to be open (with many precautions), none have opened in our area, so that option is out too.

My wife is keeping busy redecorating our lanai (which is fancy speak for a covered porch :D), finding new living room cushions and basically smarting up the house. She decided she was finally tired of the huge metal hood we've had over the stove for more than a third of a century, so last week our friend and electrician helped us pull it out. She's now figuring out what she wants there instead.

Me, I'm staying busy reading, playing games and thank goodness F1 and Indycar have returned so I have those to watch too.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

paulbaxter wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:28 pm I've been playing piano every day for the last few weeks. I'll read through a Bach Prelude and Fugue (badly) each day, and I'm also working on a Scott Joplin rag little by little. Progress is always small and incremental, but certainly every few days I'm noticeably better at part of it. Also, playing this stuff is challenging enough to absorb my attention fully, which I find helpful in stressful times.
What ragtime song are you working on? I haven’t built a very big repertoire of songs, but ragtime is one of my favorite kinds of music to play on the piano.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 am We started having haircuts back in mid-May when Florida allowed barbershops and beauticians to reopen. My wife had been having her hair cut by the same woman for 25 years, and me since I retired. It's a little shop and we feel very safe there. Same way with my wife's manicurist, who has a one woman shop. It's one of my wife's few vices.

We were scheduled to go over to the other coast of Florida to Fort Myers to see another play last week, but the week before they cancelled the first week of the new production (The Sound of Music). Although we tried to reschedule we couldn't find a date with open seats up front where we like to sit, so we opted to again let them keep our money :?. Turns out it didn't matter which day we had, as a couple of days ago the management canceled all performances of the musical.

We are scheduled to return to Fort Myers in August to see the Dean Martin Variety Show, a stage production takeoff on the old variety show which apparently has been well received elsewhere. My wife and I both remember the original TV show so selecting it was a no brainer. And it is my wife's 70th birthday so it will be a special treat. We are going to make alternate plans as who knows what will happen.

Otherwise it's been not much different for us during the summer. It's too damn hot to do much outdoors except go to the beach a couple of times a week. Otherwise we do some shopping, do lunch or dinner out and occasionally take drives to places we haven't been in a while. Although movie theaters are allowed to be open (with many precautions), none have opened in our area, so that option is out too.

My wife is keeping busy redecorating our lanai (which is fancy speak for a covered porch :D), finding new living room cushions and basically smarting up the house. She decided she was finally tired of the huge metal hood we've had over the stove for more than a third of a century, so last week our friend and electrician helped us pull it out. She's now figuring out what she wants there instead.

Me, I'm staying busy reading, playing games and thank goodness F1 and Indycar have returned so I have those to watch too.
My take from this:

You are trying to go to indoor plays in Florida?
In your late 60s, early 70s...
I’m speechless.

Is this the “How are you trying to catch Covid?” thread ?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

No, it’s the “I take proper precautions and I’m not going to live in fear” thread; or at least my posts are. When you grew up when polio was still around, you get a sense of perspective. I’m 66 by the way :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I should point out that the play we went to see was at a dinner-theater, where each party is seated at a separate table. No difference than a big restaurant.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Fear is underrated as a survival mechanism. ;)

Seriously, though, given your age (I'm sure you're a spry 66, but you're still in the age group that has more complications from COVID), the indoor nature of the activities, the duration of the activities (more time sitting in the same enclosed space with the same group of people), and the current state of affairs of things in Florida (33.5% positivity rate in Miami-Dade county!), I would totally bunker down if I were you. Heck, we're low single-digit positivity in these parts, and we're mostly bunkered down in a smallish house with two adults and three kids (10, 6, and 6).

Not trying to lecture, mind you (you don't need a lecture from a 49 year old whippersnapper like me :P ). Just hoping you stay safe while trying to stay sane.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:52 am Fear is underrated as a survival mechanism. ;)

Seriously, though, given your age (I'm sure you're a spry 66, but you're still in the age group that has more complications from COVID), the indoor nature of the activities, the duration of the activities (more time sitting in the same enclosed space with the same group of people), and the current state of affairs of things in Florida (33.5% positivity rate in Miami-Dade county!), I would totally bunker down if I were you. Heck, we're low single-digit positivity in these parts, and we're mostly bunkered down in a smallish house with two adults and three kids (10, 6, and 6).

Not trying to lecture, mind you (you don't need a lecture from a 49 year old whippersnapper like me :P ). Just hoping you stay safe while trying to stay sane.
I appreciate the concern and take it in the spirit given... you little whipper snapper :wink:.

My view, speaking as a 66 year old married to an almost 70 year old, is that being older doesn't necessarily mean you are less healthy and more prone to illnesses. Someone in our age group is, indeed, statically more susceptible, but from my experience it really depends on your individual overall health and susceptibility to illnesses. My wife and I have orthopedic issues, she especially, but we both have always been amazingly healthy in the pulmonary and cardiac arena. In forty years of marriage I can't remember my wife ever having the flu or even a serious cold. The last time I had the flu (if it was the flu) was in college and I never get colds except for a scratchy throat a couple of times a year. And my wife until this year, spent the last twenty years doing taxes four, five or six days a week sitting across a table from a half dozen different clients a day without ever missing a day. So I'm reasonably assured that we both have good expectations of staying healthy.

This isn't to say that I don't appreciate that we could indeed get sick, or even die, from covid. We simply take into consideration as a managed risk, like driving on I-95, getting hit by lightning (lots of lightning in our area) or getting hit by a giant asteroid.

Also, we don't live in a hotspot county like Miami-Dade or Duval. Our county has been pretty reasonable in positive rates, hospitalizations and deaths. And locally in my community of 25,000, we have at last count 88 positive cases, so we feel that the risk is reasonably low.

I also, and again this is this just a consideration and not gospel, have good genes. My dad worked as a ships pilot into his seventies, drove cross-country to Alaska and the Arctic Circle in his early eighties, and lived to be ninety-six.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 am No, it’s the “I take proper precautions and I’m not going to live in fear” thread; or at least my posts are. When you grew up when polio was still around, you get a sense of perspective. I’m 66 by the way :D
How do your precautions apply to those who don't give a fuck about your health and happily mingle in those events, often with no PPE in place?
Black Lives Matter