The Last of Us Part II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

MonkeyFinger

The Last of Us Part II

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Since a new trailer was just released for this during Sony's "State of Play" and we have a release date (2/21/2020) and I couldn't find an existing topic, it seemed like it might be a good time to start one. The official blog post is here with the "without spoiling too much" trailer, information on the state of the project and details on exactly how much money you'll be able to spend on the game. :wink:

And lastly this for tomorrow:
Inspired by the day the cordyceps fungus reached critical mass, every September 26 we celebrate The Last of Us community and we’ve got some exciting things planned! Be sure to check back here and follow Naughty Dog on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest.
-mf
ChuckB

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by ChuckB »

Really loved the first one (played the remastered version on PS4), thought the story, characters, presentation etc. was fantastic. The action was gritty and felt brutal and deadly. I'm not into Horror at all and the only thing was that this was too scary/dark for me at times but I finished it and glad I did - thought the ending was perfect. I still have large parts of the add-on (Left Behind) to play but again, this is scary stuff for me and I'm currently at a very nice scene (Ellie and Riley together in the shopping mall) and I know it'll get downhill and scary from here and couldn't force myself to continue yet ...
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Not trying to turn this into a teenage level console wars thread, but The Last of Us is so good that I feel bad for gamers who only play on Xbox and won't step outside of their comfort zone to try what Sony has to offer. Part one was a perfect 10 for me. Heck I played through it twice on the PS3 and then I played through the remastered version on the PS4. Can't wait for part 2.

It doesn't hurt that the remastered version was commonly available for $10, it's also free next month as a PS+ game. So if you haven't played it yet then you have no excuses after October.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loved the first game but not digging grown Ellie at all. Kinda dislike her. I prefer playing the Joel character even in the first game. I could take her as a kid but not identifying with her as an adult.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Here is the blog post mentioned as coming on the 26th. It looks like it basically takes stills from the trailer and expands on them.
-mf
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm looking forward to this but I kind of wish the story had nothing to do with Ellie. It isn't that I don't like the characters from the first game...I just don't think the way that ended that we needed more from them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:20 pm I'm looking forward to this but I kind of wish the story had nothing to do with Ellie. It isn't that I don't like the characters from the first game...I just don't think the way that ended that we needed more from them.
Really? I'd have said the exact opposite.
Spoiler:
Joel's betrayal, Ellie apparently suspecting it, the fact that the 'hero' of the story turned out to be the bad guy but nobody knows that, the fact that Ellie is still the only savior of humanity although she's been told she's not. Should she find out, she'd both be desperate to do what has to be done, and would probably have to go through her father figure to pull it off. Those characters have a lot left to do.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This was released last Friday. I was deep in Satisfactory so didn't pick it up until yesterday and wow am I enjoying it. I'm only 4-5 hours in and it has been great. Super intense but also right up my alley, gathering components, sneaking around killing infected and humans that are worse than infected... at least in Ellie's eyes.

If you enjoyed the first game, based on my first few hours with this one I highly recommend it. I've heard that there are negative reviews. I have not read them to address or refute them, so have yourself a grain of salt.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:01 pm This was released last Friday. I was deep in Satisfactory so didn't pick it up until yesterday and wow am I enjoying it. I'm only 4-5 hours in and it has been great. Super intense but also right up my alley, gathering components, sneaking around killing infected and humans that are worse than infected... at least in Ellie's eyes.

If you enjoyed the first game, based on my first few hours with this one I highly recommend it. I've heard that there are negative reviews. I have not read them to address or refute them, so have yourself a grain of salt.
The negative reviews are from people review bombing because of thing called SWJ or something.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I expect it to be rather atmospheric. I was rather skeptical about the first game as zombies aren't normally my kind of thing, but I found myself really liking it, because as always with Naughty Dog, the characters really elevated it. If I'm playing a Naughty Dog game, I can almost always expect great characterization.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:01 pm This was released last Friday. I was deep in Satisfactory so didn't pick it up until yesterday and wow am I enjoying it. I'm only 4-5 hours in and it has been great. Super intense but also right up my alley, gathering components, sneaking around killing infected and humans that are worse than infected... at least in Ellie's eyes.

I just finished the game. I highly recommend it if you liked the first. The negative comments are largely about story elements that are fine...but loathsome internet people are loathsome. The game play is similar to the first with more variety. There were some surprises and I can probably argue that plot flow is a bit...annoying at times. Not a spoiler but there are a lot of flashbacks and I think there was a flashback inside a flashback. It gets a bit convoluted but in the end a very, very solid game. It deserves the high accolades it is getting. The story will probably hang on me awhile.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Damn. I just finished the first one and was planning to wait to play the sequel on a PS5, but the pull to play it now is growing.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:29 am Damn. I just finished the first one and was planning to wait to play the sequel on a PS5, but the pull to play it now is growing.
That was my plan too, but I ended up between games at just the right time and I'm really glad I did... though now I am a bit concerned that malchior already finished it. That must have been a busy weekend. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Can anyone tell me how loud the fans get on a non-pro PS4? I've had my original PS4 since a bit after it launched, and graphically intense games do ramp up the fans quite a bit, (example: Red Dead Redemption 2) but the noise is within my range of tolerance.

Anyone notice fan noise LOUDER for Last of Us 2 than other graphically-intense games? Now that Father's Day is over, I'm allowed to buy things for myself once again and I want to take a break from RDR2.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I plan to replay the first one very soon. I played the remastered on my PS4 a few years ago. Loved it. Probably my all-time favorite single player action game.

I don't have a PS4 Pro. I'm wondering if the new one will run ok on a standard PS4? My plan is to skip buying the Pro and go straight to the PS5.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Fishbelly wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 am Can anyone tell me how loud the fans get on a non-pro PS4? I've had my original PS4 since a bit after it launched, and graphically intense games do ramp up the fans quite a bit, (example: Red Dead Redemption 2) but the noise is within my range of tolerance.

Anyone notice fan noise LOUDER for Last of Us 2 than other graphically-intense games? Now that Father's Day is over, I'm allowed to buy things for myself once again and I want to take a break from RDR2.
To me it's no louder than RDR2, which is honestly still a little too loud for my liking.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 am
Kurth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:29 am Damn. I just finished the first one and was planning to wait to play the sequel on a PS5, but the pull to play it now is growing.
That was my plan too, but I ended up between games at just the right time and I'm really glad I did... though now I am a bit concerned that malchior already finished it. That must have been a busy weekend. :)
One benefit of never sleeping. I also didn't even play most of Saturday after noon so there were some serious marathon sessions in there. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Fishbelly wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 am Can anyone tell me how loud the fans get on a non-pro PS4?
I don't know about fans, but the toxic negativity surrounding the game can be quite loud. ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

Man this game is vicious, and heart breaking, and intense, and very well done. Movies don't really get me caught up much, but this game just clings on you. I won't get into detail, but that first 2 hours is gut wrenching
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I am definitely planning to get this, I just don't know when yet. Unfortunately, I unintentionally read some seemingly important spoilers in a NYT article on the making of the game. At least give me a warning, NYT!
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

If you thought Red Dead Redemption 2 is slow and methodical and you didn't enjoy it, well, this game is very much like it. It's an experience, not a run and gun.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm If you thought Red Dead Redemption 2 is slow and methodical and you didn't enjoy it, well, this game is very much like it. It's an experience, not a run and gun.
I can see the comparison to a degree, but as someone that got bored with RDR2, this is a much tighter experience. If you liked the first game this is very much more of the same.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm If you thought Red Dead Redemption 2 is slow and methodical and you didn't enjoy it, well, this game is very much like it. It's an experience, not a run and gun.
I can see the comparison to a degree, but as someone that got bored with RDR2, this is a much tighter experience. If you liked the first game this is very much more of the same.
yes it's tighter because it's not an open world. But many of the complains I've seen from here and elsewhere was how slow the game felt, that there was too much story in between action sequences.

Last of Us 1 and 2 uses the same approach as RDR2 in that regard. It's not an issue for me, as I love that experience. These types of games gets you connected to the character and the surroundings and doesn't let go.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll say this all sounds right from a pacing point of view. It was indeed more of the same as the first with some improvements (as expected). I thought the end was...too drawn out...but still well done. A lot of the hate I see are people not understanding the point of the way the narrative was crafted. I am curious what other people will think about it when they get through it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I know what you mean by the end being too drawn out. I thought it was about over when I went to bed last night and this morning I feel like I've got a few days to play through...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's some real dedication.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:50 pm That's some real dedication.
Yeah. It's pretty close considering you are not going to get specific voicing of certain chords. I'm sure we will see some other like this soon. I did free falling as it was pretty easy with the chords on the same wheel.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and done! Not quite what I expected and a little (and by that I mean holy hell guys) over the top on the violence and gore, but enjoyed it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Finished it. Loved it. Probably the height of the PS4 generation for production value.

Me during most of the game though:
Spoiler:
Oh my God, stop trying to kill each other! :shock:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 pm Finished it. Loved it. Probably the height of the PS4 generation for production value.

Me during most of the game though:
Spoiler:
Oh my God, stop trying to kill each other! :shock:
For serious.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Man I don't think I ever wanted to turn a game off after experiencing what I just experienced. Talk about intense.
Spoiler:
it was the part where you and Joel are between two walls and you meet a bloater the first time. The thing chased me in circles between two rooms for what felt like forever.
I found my hands shaking in relief after it was over.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished the game tonight. As has been said, probably the top technical achievement for the PS4; the level of detail was incredible. The gameplay itself wasn’t much different than the first, at least from what I remember, but the game is definitely more violent. Some of the things you have to do are just brutal. I suppose I get why some people were upset at the story, but the narrative worked for me. It’s certainly something that will stick with me for a while.

To answer a question above probably a month too late, I played it on my regular PS4 and the fan noise wasn’t too bad. For the most part, I didn’t even notice it.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Finally wrapped it up. I had to take it in short play through as it was just over the top for me.

Graphically and technology the game is impressive. Voice acting spot on. While I felt the lacing was fine, I feel like it should have ended much sooner than it did.

I'm getting the ps5 next month. I'm planning on selling the game to help pay it off but I'm wondering if it would look better on the ps5. I don't think ill replay it as this is a one and done for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm about a third of the way through, taking it in short bursts. I love the gameplay and found this twist interesting:
Spoiler:
Having you play Abby and identify with her until she turns out to be a monster.
On the other hand:
Spoiler:
I found the lesbian action to be forced and awkward. I skipped most of those cinematics.
I did not care for the flashbacks since they did nothing to advance your character or move the story forward. I just wanted to rush through them.

I also miss my favorite character.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved the first one but plan to leave it at that game and never bother with this. Ive heard too much bad stuff on it. Id rather keep my memories and imagine how the story continues.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished the game and it was bittersweet (by design I'm sure). They could take lessons in revenge fantasy from Tarantino. Near the end I changed to lowest difficulty just to finish it. I didn't care much for:
Spoiler:
Forcing you to spend so much time playing the antagonist. I am firmly on team Joel, so I was tempted to gimp her for the final battle I knew was coming. I doubt if it would have made any difference.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:58 pm I finished the game and it was bittersweet (by design I'm sure). They could take lessons in revenge fantasy from Tarantino. Near the end I changed to lowest difficulty just to finish it. I didn't care much for:
Spoiler:
Forcing you to spend so much time playing the antagonist. I am firmly on team Joel, so I was tempted to gimp her for the final battle I knew was coming. I doubt if it would have made any difference.
Spoiler:
Playing her didn't change your perspective at all?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:58 pm I finished the game and it was bittersweet (by design I'm sure). They could take lessons in revenge fantasy from Tarantino. Near the end I changed to lowest difficulty just to finish it. I didn't care much for:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Playing her didn't change your perspective at all?
Actually it did, I was surprised when...
Spoiler:
she betrayed her clan.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I had been putting off playing Last of Us Part II because I enjoyed the first one so much and wanted to make sure I could really lean into Part II and not get distracted. I've been playing for a week or so now, and I think I'm at least half way through. I've probably put 20 or so hours into it. The game is great on a number of levels, but . . . I think I'm tiring of it. It's just so depressing. It's not like I don't like playing games in dystopian or apocalyptic settings. And I'd qualify most of the games I've enjoyed most as being pretty dark as far as the subject matter.

But the Last of Us Part II is starting to feel like a burden to play it's so dark. Right from the get go, I kind of felt like this was where the game was going (the opening hour was a gut punch), but I suppose I didn't imagine the darkness would be so unrelenting.

I'll play through for sure, but I wouldn't mind if Naughty Dog rewarded my efforts with at least a morsel that could leave me feeling a little less like someone just kicked my puppy.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳