What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by Isgrimnur »

When the hell is your bedtime if not now?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:10 am When the hell is your bedtime if not now?
almost always... not before midnight PST
Formix

Post by Formix »

Tearing through Terraria 1.4. Only one last achievement to unlock, and working on Master Mode. I don't even want to look at how many hours I have in Terraria over the past however many years.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I bought the itch.io bundle. The better keep the lockdown going to give me time to play all these games!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Madmarcus wrote:I bought the itch.io bundle. The better keep the lockdown going to give me time to play all these games!
Play Celeste immediately if you haven't yet hit that one.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just realized today Shadow Tactics was on Xbox Game Pass. :shock: :shock: :shock:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:12 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:19 pm I keep playing Tales of Berseria, but I really don't know why (OK, I do know why, nothing else is calling out to me). The combat is endless and super repetitive. There are no meaningful choices to be made. I am apparently less than halfway through the game... I'm not sure I can keep it up.
You're far more patient than me, I bailed about 16 hours in.

The combat did nothing for me, the story was 'meh' (although some of the characters were great), the graphics were terrible, and the music was completely forgettable.
And finished. 40 hours, little satisfaction.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 pm
Madmarcus wrote:I bought the itch.io bundle. The better keep the lockdown going to give me time to play all these games!
Play Celeste immediately if you haven't yet hit that one.
It's on the list. So far I've been disappointing with most of the games I've tried.

The Last Librarian had horrible controls and nothing to catch my interest.
Mu Cartographer was neat to play around with but somehow I expected more. I might return to it but it feels like something that would be better on my phone for odd moments rather than on my computer.
Voyageur was neat for a few minutes. Its well made and a few of the planet encounters were cute but I never got a feeling of anything bigger than simply a repetitive cycle of hopping planet to planet doing trades that always seem to work out. If there is a bigger story it is hidden.
Silk is good although the initial presentation was a problem when I wasn't sure which way was East. I'll play more of it as a sort of Oregon Trail meets Lords of Midnight.
Wheels of Aurelia is relaxing and interesting. Love to look and the music but somehow I find that I don't want to play for as long as it wants me to play for.

Celeste, Nuclear Throne, Overland, and Starseed Pilgrim are in the on deck circle.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, continuing to play older games, I played and finished Wishbringer. It's been a long time since I last played Infocom text adventures (I played a lot of them when I got the Masterpieces of Infocom collection way back when - particularily those with more emphasis on fiction to puzzles). Might play a few more.

I also played Snare, a fan text adventure based on Blake's 7. It's unfinished, but there are several sections to the game that are finished and playable, and the game is very impressive for a fan game. It's got great atmosphere and writing, got plenty of references to the show that fans will appreciate, and it does a good job of allowing you to give commands to Zen (the ship's computer). The characters are also true to form. Vila walks around being a coward and stealing things (he tries to steal all the teleport bracelets so we won't beam down anyplace dangerous) and Avon delivers his usual snarky comments. For example, if you want to set course to Earth, Avon reminds you that the crew lost a crew member there:

Code: Select all

>zen, set course for earth
Avon glances at Gan's old position. "What's the matter, Blake? Too many crew members left?"
If you're a fan of the show, and are OK with playing text adventures, I recommend it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mario Party has seen a resurgence in my household. Just finished unlocking the last character tonight. Challenge Road with a child who really wants the final character is a special kind of hell.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I simply do not have the patience or stamina for "epic" length games anymore.

I'm just under 30 hours into the Xenoblade Chronicles Remaster on Switch. I've recruited all but one of the playable party members. I've completed over a hundred side quests. I've unlocked almost every skill for all the characters. I'm coming up to what appears to be a pivotal showdown with the Big Bad.

I glanced at a walkthrough to check something this morning and found out...I'm not even halfway through. I knew this was a big game, but was hoping that the streamlined questing and exploration would trim out some of the fat. Apparently not.

While the original exploration, story, finding new characters, and learning new systems and skills has been quite fun, I'm just not sure I can keep interested for another 30 hours. If the game were to wrap up between 30-40 hours total, I'd be absolutely thrilled with it, and consider it an A+ game. Continuing on for another 30+ hours past that? Not so much. I can almost guarantee something else will be calling my name by then.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

How is Chronicles compared to 2? I liked 2, but the terrible menu interface for doing anything other than fighting turned me off a couple of dozen hours in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Both are very good games, that could have done with some significant editing (imo). XC2 probably has the better story, but the way they've streamlined questing in XC1 has been fantastic. What was a cumbersome chore before is now actually quite enjoyable. I'd probably give XC2 a slight edge due to it's more modern presentation. XC1 is a 10 year old game, after all

Interestingly, the one I enjoyed most was probably Torna: The Golden Country, which was a stand-alone expansion to XC2. It was the perfect length and didn't overstay it's welcome (25-30 hours), the revised combat was very fun, both the questing and story were simple and easy to follow, and it packed a good emotional punch. While having context from XC2 helps, it's not necessary to enjoy this story. If you enjoyed the core XC2 game but got frustrated at either it's bloat or some of the more convoluted systems, give Torna a look.

What I wouldn't give for a remaster of the Xenosaga PS games. :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Played a bunch of demos from the Steam Games Festival:

Inspector Waffles - cute adventure game where you play a feline detective.

Monorail Stories - Slice of life game, where you play (at least in the Demo) two different characters riding a monorail at different times. It looks like one of those choices matter type games, where you've got choices, and they can affect the story (and one characters choices can affect the other one).

Chinatown Detective Agency - Looks good.

Willy Morgan - enjoyable, humorous point and click adventure, with traditional inventory puzzles.

Crimson Diamond - Sierra style adventure game in the style of Colonel's Bequest (with a similar setting, protagonist, gameplay, art, parser, etc). On the one hand, Colonel's Bequest is one of my favorite Sierra games. On the other hand, the art is on the dated side - if it was a deliberate choice to mimic the the old style EGA artwork (rather than due to other reasons), I would much rather have had the better graphics of later adventure games.

The Captain is Dead - a computer version of the board game. The tutorial features lots of Trek references and humor, including a Q-like character giving you instructions. I would have preferred 2D graphics to the 3D graphics, and the ability to play in a window rather than full screen, but otherwise looks good.

Mars Horizon - a space agency simulator (research technology and conduct space missions). Only played a little of this, although it looked cool (may get me to play the Buzz Aldrin space program manager that I haven't played in ages.

Mike & Tyler - pretty much Miami Vice the point and click adventure (I assume, I've never watched the show). I can't recommend this one. One or two things were easy to miss and were pixel hunts, and one puzzle, though not hard to solve, had a bizarre, nonsensical solution.

Edit: Add Nine Noir Lives, which is another cat detective game (just with more cartoony graphics than retro pixelated graphics).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Recently I've been playing Tale of Wuxia Pre-Sequel.

I've never played a Xenoblade game but in some ways it sounds like them. Open world overland map that feels somewhat like Mount and Blade. Roughly 20 characters to mix and match in your party (3 fixed "main" characters plus 15 or so others). RPG leveling system with tons of choices on who learns what skills. Perhaps a little bit overwhelming on skills as each character has limited skill slots and I'm seemingly overwhelmed with low tier skills that I'm holding off on giving for fear of filling the slots. Turn based combat that feels a little like Fell Seal or FFT but much flashier (it's wuxia).

I'm 30 hours in, playing fairly inefficiently. Probably half way done. There are hints that the final game might wrap up quickly but so far I'm progressing 4 different quest lines each of which is ending in a boss fight that my party isn't quite ready for yet. Even the random overland battles are still fun because I'm using them to level some of the side characters. I know of at least five more characters I can unlock so it looks like I'll get to keep making leveling decisions up until the late game. One decision I'm not fond of is that I get the feeling that some characters are just weak even when given good skills. In particular there is one character that I've had most of the game who feels like someone the developers expect you to drop when you get later characters.

Music is good but somewhat repetitive so I tend to turn it off. The look is dated but I think it is attractive enough that I don't think about it.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I grabbed Half Life Alyx on the steam sale with the $5 discount. Under $40 seemed to be the magic price point to me given that my system is at the bottom of the specs for the game (Rift S, 1070 video card). I was a little disappointed when the game set the visual settings to 'Low,' but I tried bumping it up to medium and it was a little choppy. That's not good for VR. Low is smooth though.

First, I have to say this game must look gorgeous on a high end rig with an Index. It's looks amazing on my system on low. The controls are tight and effective. Immersion is off the charts. It's easy to get lost in the game. The first time I played, I stayed up way too late. That lead to some weird dreams that night. I'm not too far in, but it feels very Half LIfe. I'm sure VR would take off if we had more experiences like this.

I will say I'm a bit glad I waited since Steam VR has improved so much since the last time I used it.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I played and finished the VGA remake of Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire. http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

I'd played the first and last games of the series previously, and this was another solid entry.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 am I will say I'm a bit glad I waited since Steam VR has improved so much since the last time I used it.
After Alyx came out I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an index to replace my aging Rift dev kit. Should finally be arriving late this week or early next, so looking forward to finally trying Alyx.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am
Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 am I will say I'm a bit glad I waited since Steam VR has improved so much since the last time I used it.
After Alyx came out I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an index to replace my aging Rift dev kit. Should finally be arriving late this week or early next, so looking forward to finally trying Alyx.
I'm thinking about trying it on the Quest. I haven't touched it in about a month. No idea what happened. I was playing Beat Saber every single day and then... stopped. My 10yo still uses it sometimes and my 14yo refuses to even try it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Super Mega Baseball 3 was released last month, and just got a 15% discount on the Steam summer sale. It has a playable demo as well.

I stumbled upon Super Mega Baseball 2 a year or two ago, and really enjoy these games. They remind me of Hardball back in the 80's on my Apple 2. I'm not crazy into baseball, but I enjoy these games. Really easy to fire up when I have a spare 20-30 minutes.

I'm on Steam as infinitelurker as well, if anybody wants to try out the online options.
-something witty-
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I picked up Star Wars Racer on Switch last night. It's an extremely lazy "upgrade", but is still a very fun racer.

Tons of nostalgia, as I played that pretty much non-stop when it came out 21 years ago ( :shock: ). Even bought a new joystick at CompUSA and everything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still jealous of the VR-owning folks! One of these days!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks to hepcat's generosity, I'm playing Quicksave: The Game. Er, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

It is rather fun. And those speedrun achievements are going to go forever unearned.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Continuing my eclectic jump through gaming history, I started playing the HALO: MASTER CHIEF Collection. Why? Well, because I plan on buying an Xbox Series X this fall and I haven't finished all the Halo games. I think I beat 1, 2, and possibly 3. Never played Reach, 4 or 5, or if I did, I never completed them. So why not just bulldoze through the whole series before the new console comes out?

One thing that triggered me to go for it was A) It's on GamePass so it's free and B) The PC implementations are really good and I love being able to use a mouse/keyboard for shooting. I would consider myself "adequate" with an Xbox controller for shooters, but put a mouse and keyboard in my hand and I move up to "Skilled." :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

Playing through NITE Team 4: Military Hacking Division. Right now getting all my certifications before plunging into the main story.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 am
One thing that triggered me to go for it was A) It's on GamePass so it's free and B) The PC implementations are really good and I love being able to use a mouse/keyboard for shooting. I would consider myself "adequate" with an Xbox controller for shooters, but put a mouse and keyboard in my hand and I move up to "Skilled." :D
i have a free Gamepass code for 3 months... i should redeem it just for the Halo remaster.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, I finished another Sierra adventure game. Space Quest 4, this time. While the humor was good (and I appreciated the references to other games, like Loom and King's Quest and It Came From the Desert), IMO it was an average adventure game at best (no really great puzzles, but annoying timed/arcadeish parts plus one or two annoying hunt the pixel moments, the world didn't have as much depth as QFG2, the actions that allowed you to smell and lick got boring quick as it was usually just a generic response, and while the climax of the story was good, the rest wasn't as good.)

Oh well, they can't all be winners.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m trying really hard to finish Xenoblade Chronicles, but good lord, the game is making it tough. Once you get to Mechonis, the game slows down to a dull slog. I’ve spent the past 3-4 hours running through the exact same dull, brown, mechanical environments, fighting the same 8-10 robot trash mobs that can’t be avoided, hitting the same looking switches to activate the same looking elevators to get to a new same looking platform. Rinse and repeat.

They could have cut the size of this zone by 3/4 and literally not lost a single thing of substance from the game.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

infinitelurker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm Super Mega Baseball 3 was released last month, and just got a 15% discount on the Steam summer sale. It has a playable demo as well.
I'd love to see how they've improved the game, but not for $40 USD/$50 CAD. Gaming wise, I'm way too cheap for that these days. Maybe if it was licensed.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:14 am
infinitelurker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm Super Mega Baseball 3 was released last month, and just got a 15% discount on the Steam summer sale. It has a playable demo as well.
I'd love to see how they've improved the game, but not for $40 USD/$50 CAD. Gaming wise, I'm way too cheap for that these days. Maybe if it was licensed.

With the demo you can play 3 innings of a game against the cpu, or online pennant races with no limitation other than which team you can play as (I played the demo online pennant race exclusively from release up to the Steam sale). That way you can try out the improvements. Also, it allows team customizations, and there is a pretty active subreddit and downloadable major league teams/rosters.
Last edited by infinitelurker on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-something witty-
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm now playing Snake Pass. i'm liking the snake controls, it's different for a 3D platformer. some of the bonus coin things are preeeettty tricky to get (and if you fall of the edge, you lose a certain amount of progress to that point) so i'm not bothering with all of them.

nearly completed "Snow White: Charmed Kingdom Solitaire", which is $3.49 in the Steam summer sale and is currently free from IndieGala. i feel super bad for these Ukrainian (and Russian and eastern European) game developers as the artists and musicians are clearly talented but i am sure they are being reimbursed in basically slave wages for those talents. anyways, gameplay is exactly what one would expect and i've encountered two bugs in the card sequence (i distinctly remember one of those times the game thinking an Ace was in sequence with an 8...), but i haven't played one of the Fairway Solitaire rip-off titles in a while, so... whatevs. https://freebies.indiegala.com/snow-whi ... d-kingdom/

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I picked up GREEDFALL in an Xbox sale and for some reason I'm really digging it so far. It's not super challenging, which I don't mind since I suck at the combat. Also, for some reason I don't mind the abundance of dialogue. It's a very leisurely-paced game, at least so far, and I find it somewhat relaxing to just go with the flow.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this solitaire game gives you so many helper abilities by the end that you have to be trying in order to not get perfect 'three star' ratings on every single round. really bad balance (or an intentionally super-casual title...) well, that's over with.

going with Hitman GO now. i think i ran into a bug with movement on a couple stages, which is reallllly annoying when the next wrong move means you have to start that level over. i don't like the 'replay level to finish in as few moves as possible' awards - it just seems like a lame way to pad out the playtime. but i'll try out Lara Croft GO when i finish this one.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think that I have finally hit critical mass on Diablo 3. Started up the new season stuff last night with a Barb, and had mostly lost interest by the time I wrapped up for the night a couple hours later. Ah well, it had a good run.
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:01 pm I picked up GREEDFALL in an Xbox sale and for some reason I'm really digging it so far. It's not super challenging, which I don't mind since I suck at the combat. Also, for some reason I don't mind the abundance of dialogue. It's a very leisurely-paced game, at least so far, and I find it somewhat relaxing to just go with the flow.
Greedfall certainly had its charms, but I found it to be janky to the point of unplayable. Somewhere around the time I got stuck on the environment and had to reload a battle for the third time, I simply gave up.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm going to go in for a taste of the new D3 season later today I think. I don't think I've played it for a good year or more. Burned out hard on it before that though. Monk's the only class I haven't played to end game. Dare I give it a try? I always hit a wall for some reason. Monk was the class I thought looked most interesting before the game launched, but I never enjoyed its abilities much. Witch Doctor and Barb were just too much fun in comparison.

The various season themings seem so disappointing. It seems like they could do so much more to shake things up. It doesn't have to be PoE-level that requires significant development time. But something.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am I'm going to go in for a taste of the new D3 season later today I think. I don't think I've played it for a good year or more. Burned out hard on it before that though. Monk's the only class I haven't played to end game. Dare I give it a try? I always hit a wall for some reason. Monk was the class I thought looked most interesting before the game launched, but I never enjoyed its abilities much. Witch Doctor and Barb were just too much fun in comparison.

The various season themings seem so disappointing. It seems like they could do so much more to shake things up. It doesn't have to be PoE-level that requires significant development time. But something.
Ooh, a new season! That's tempting. Lesse, I just finished a barb and a monk. Witch doctor, maybe?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll run through the new season. But only because I can get one more stash for completing it (I think this may be my last one). I got "bored" with D3 a long time ago. The only way I play now is if I have a goal. I get that way with a lot of games, though. I reach a point where I lose interest unless I have something to drive for.

I'll have to check the Cube again, too. They like to occasionally add new items that I have to track down. One of my goals is 100% completion.

And now I have new sets to track down.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Since going back to D3 kinda flopped, I decided to try going back to Destiny 2 instead. That has worked better.

While I'm generally terrible at FPS games (even moreso in any sort of MP scenario), I find D2 to be very fun. It never has a ton of staying power, but I had a good time with both the original and D2 on PS4 for a couple dozen or so hours.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was so excited when Destiny 2 was announced for PC, given that I missed out on the original as a non-console owner. When I got my hands on it, it was fun, but it didn't draw me in like I'd hoped. I think I used the controversy of them bumping up the entry requirements for endgame content to mandate buying the first expansion as an excuse to quit playing, even though they eventually reversed that. I think another reason is that I wanted the social experience of playing with others without being able to commit to doing it regularly. The environments sure were pretty though. I think of checking it out again sometimes, but then there's the "I must first buy the expansions... but I must wait for them to be on sale" fallacy.