Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Shootings

Post by Max Peck »

A deplorable answering the call?

1 fatally shot at Breonna Taylor protest park in Kentucky
Authorities were investigating a fatal shooting Saturday night at a park in downtown Louisville, Kentucky, where demonstrators had gathered to protest the death of Breonna Taylor.

Reports of shots fired at Jefferson Square Park came in around 9 p.m., Louisville Metro police said in a statement, followed by calls that the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department was performing life-saving measures on a male who died at the scene. Shortly after, police were told of a shooting victim across the street at the Hall of Justice. That person was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Video posted on social media appeared to show a man opening fire into the park as people scrambled for cover. The footage later showed at least one person bleeding profusely on the ground.

Officers cleared the park and police “are trying to gather as much information as possible in order to identify all who were involved in the incident,” the statement said. No information about arrests, possible suspects and the victims’ identities and ages was immediately released. Officials did not immediately release additional information.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Mail
A 23-year-old man was arrested in the fatal shooting of a photographer documenting a Breonna Taylor protest at a park in Louisville, Kentucky, Saturday night, police said.

Steven Lopez is being held in connection with the shooting death of 27-year-old Tyler Gerth, who was fatally wounded after bullets were fired at the Taylor demonstration, according to an arrest citation.

Lopez, who had been seen at other protests and was previously arrested with other demonstrators, was wounded in the leg by gunfire from bystanders at the park who were defending themselves, the arrest citation said.

He has been charged with murder and wanton endangerment.
Protesters at the park Sunday said Lopez was a familiar face around the protests but sometimes caused trouble. Julie Sullivan, who was near the corner where the shooter fired, said Lopez was asked to leave earlier on Saturday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Shooting at Seattle’s CHOP protest site kills one, leaves another in critical condition
One person was killed and another was wounded early Monday morning when they were shot in the protest area known as CHOP, in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Seattle police tweeted that the shooting happened near 12th Avenue and Pike Street.

Two people were brought to Harborview Medical Center with gunshot wounds, with one arriving in a private vehicle around 3:15 a.m. and the other brought in by Seattle Fire Department medics about 15 minutes later, according to an email from Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg.

As of 5:40 a.m., one patient had died and the other was in critical condition, according to Gregg, who said both patients were male.

One person said on Twitter that the two people who were shot had been shooting at people from a stolen SUV before they were “MURKED by security on the ground.”

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What the F is "murked"? Is that some sort of hip way of saying "murdered"?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am What the F is "murked"? Is that some sort of hip way of saying "murdered"?
I always thought it was spelled merked. But I guess there's any number of acceptable variations.

EDIT: Goddamit. More coffee needed. BAM, etc, etc... :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it's NOT a reference to a merkin?

That changes things...
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 am So it's NOT a reference to a merkin?

That changes things...
Spoiler:
NSFW

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am Shooting at Seattle’s CHOP protest site kills one, leaves another in critical condition
One person was killed and another was wounded early Monday morning when they were shot in the protest area known as CHOP, in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Seattle police tweeted that the shooting happened near 12th Avenue and Pike Street.

Two people were brought to Harborview Medical Center with gunshot wounds, with one arriving in a private vehicle around 3:15 a.m. and the other brought in by Seattle Fire Department medics about 15 minutes later, according to an email from Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg.

As of 5:40 a.m., one patient had died and the other was in critical condition, according to Gregg, who said both patients were male.

One person said on Twitter that the two people who were shot had been shooting at people from a stolen SUV before they were “MURKED by security on the ground.”
What happens if people want to protest this shooting?

Also curious how the scene was secured and documented and who's doing the investigation.

All for security doing what they had to do but no one knows yet what they did or if they had to do it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The whole CHOP thing was a bad move, in my opinion. They wanted to make a point, but it has ended up being the point they were trying to fight against.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:16 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am Shooting at Seattle’s CHOP protest site kills one, leaves another in critical condition

What happens if people want to protest this shooting?

Also curious how the scene was secured and documented and who's doing the investigation.

All for security doing what they had to do but no one knows yet what they did or if they had to do it.
According to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imh-wiHzJ24 It sounds like:
1) CHOP/CHAZ security not only shot and killed innocent people, but there is also a part that sounds like they straight up murdered one of them.. Basically they can be heard saying something like, oh you're still alive and want to be pistol-whipped and then...bang. Good job protesting police brutality guys!
2) Enough people apparently went in and out of the vehicle to make the crime scene useless at this point.
3) Sounds like people in the zone may also be protecting the security guys.

I fully believe that that crap has gone on long enough. They are a hostile occupying force at this point and refusing to give it up until their demands are met. Regardless of what their demands are, with all the crap that is going on in there, I consider them domestic terrorists at this point. I also think that the Mayor and Police Cheif should be held responsible for everything that happens in there as well because they have failed their city. They should have put an end to that a while ago. They are concerned with causing a confrontation with the "protestors" (and I use that term extremely loosely at this point) and not concerned with all the "confrontations" already going on in there...Confirmed shootings and assaults and reported rapes, thefts, robberies (My difference between confirmed and reported is the difference between actual video evidence I have seen online and other things I have seen as reported. I don't doubt the reported though).
I really wonder how the Mayor does expect to end this "peacefully" Wait them out for a few years?
They should have at minimum shut down power and water to that area already (although I'm not in the power company so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to shutdown a specific area without affecting the neighboring areas, but even still I think it's warranted at this point)
This has gone way beyond a peaceful protest at this point.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

At this point, you seem done with it, at this point.

Frankly, I never saw how this would ever end well.

And I don’t see a clean way out of it where anyone looks good.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 am At this point, you seem done with it, at this point.

Frankly, I never saw how this would ever end well.

And I don’t see a clean way out of it where anyone looks good.
I think if they had peacefully occupied the area for 24 hours (which is still a lot IMO) and then peacefully disbanded, it would have been fine.
If the mayor had pushed harder earlier it would have looked bad, but people would have moved on by now (assuming things didn't get super out of hand)
At this point, I agree, I'm not sure a clean way out can be done without the occupiers just completely disbanding on their own, and even then there might be consequences at this point.
The local government has already let this go on for so long without doing anything, I am starting to wonder if they will ever do anything or just let it keep going until the Gov or President steps in (I'm not sure on the law with this if either of them has an actual legal standing to intervene if it's limited to the small area of the city.)
I can't see the mayor getting re-elected after this either.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Snake Plissken is on standby.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto on the 24 hours and out. Now they're just a more violent version of Ammon Bundy's group. When you end up becoming more dangerous than an extreme right group, it's time to admit you fucked up.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am Snake Plissken is on standby.

I heard he was dead?

Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am Now they're just a more violent version of Ammon Bundy's group. When you end up becoming more dangerous than an extreme right group, it's time to admit you fucked up.
They were occupying a populated area. They started out more dangerous. Now someone is dead, they're not just more dangerous, the demonstrably worse.

I never saw a good way out, though I hoped I was wrong. No matter how it was spun, to me it looked like they seized property that wasn't theirs and that authorities had to treat it like a hostage situation.
Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am At this point, I agree, I'm not sure a clean way out can be done without the occupiers just completely disbanding on their own, and even then there might be consequences at this point.
By disbanding, I would equate that with armed contingent surrendering. I don't see how you look past shootings.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ugh.
Two teenage boys were shot to death after asking the suspect how tall he was when they were buying candy from a store.

“The victims were walking into the store, they saw Battle, he was standing in line while at the store and the victims commented that Battle, he was quite tall, and they asked him how tall he was and hoped to be that tall someday,” said Deputy Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan

The three teenage boys then left the store and proceeded to walk home together when police say that Battle approached them and began shooting.

Jasean Francis, 17, was shot in the back, chest and left hand. Charles Riley, 16, was shot in the back and left leg. The third teen, who was not identified, managed to escape the gunfire. Both of the boys who were shot were taken to University of Chicago Hospital and later died from the injuries they suffered during the shooting.

“There was no altercation,” said Deenihan. “There was nothing that would have set off Battle to be angry at these kids. He is about 6’3”, 6’4”, and they literally just asked him how tall he was because he is extremely tall.”

Battle was denied bond and has been charged with two counts of first degree murder. Police said he had a previous conviction for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, for which he received probation.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had heard that on the news, but didn't realize it was here in Chicago. Ugh is right. :cry:
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am
Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am At this point, I agree, I'm not sure a clean way out can be done without the occupiers just completely disbanding on their own, and even then there might be consequences at this point.
By disbanding, I would equate that with armed contingent surrendering. I don't see how you look past shootings.
I find this highly unlikely as there are PLENTY of people there with weapons and apparently no good witnesses for any of the shootings (This isn't the first one there) I really wish there was such thing as a hypocrisy stick because they all need to be smacked in the head with it.
Things that there is video proof of from day 1
1) Random Stop and frisks
2) Random stop and checks for ID
3) Random stop and Interrogations. I can't remember where but there is a video of someone running to try to get away from the CHOP for something and as he's running towards the exit some girl yells at him to run into the medical tent. Thankfully he didn't and kept going. They caught up to him outside of CHOP but there were now a bunch of non-CHOP witnesses because he was yelling for help and the girl said you should have stopped and come when I called you because we needed to interrogate you. Not a "Medical tent is a safe zone" Medical tent is now for interrogation as well.
4) Random smacking of peoples phones when trying to film
5) Journalists getting assaulted
The list goes on...
I'm starting to think that they aren't angry about police brutality/violations and just angry that they weren't allowed to do it themselves.
In less then a month they have become worse than the police they are protesting.
It will never happen, but they should all be charged as accessories to these murders and other crimes since they are basically sheltering them so far.
I am at the point that I hope the next news video is of several Abrahms tanks and APC's rolling through those streets.
Sorry for the rant/vent but this pisses me off for some reason and I don't even live near there! It also usually takes a lot for me to get pissed off or angry.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

So the lovely woman on the first video stated that the people in the SUV were firing on the crowd. CNN article about the incident did not mention this at all. So these 'security' people just murdered someone?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am So the lovely woman on the first video stated that the people in the SUV were firing on the crowd. CNN article about the incident did not mention this at all. So these 'security' people just murdered someone?
From what I gathered. The report is that a Silver SUV was doing the drive-by and then the CHOP COPS stopped and shot up the White SUV and then apparently walked up to the SUV and stated something like Oh you're not dead and do you want to be pistol-whipped and then fired another shot at them point-blank.
So yes, they allegedly murdered 2 innocent unarmed teenagers. Go CHOP COPS!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

CHOP is over.

Seattle police forcibly clear ‘lawless’ protest zone
Wearing helmets and wielding batons and rifles, Seattle police turned out in force at dawn Wednesday in the city’s “occupied” protest zone after the mayor ordered it cleared following two recent fatal shootings.

Officers stood shoulder-to-shoulder on several streets while others created a makeshift fence with their bicycles, using it to push dozens of protesters back away from the center of the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest” zone just east of downtown. The group had occupied several blocks around a park for about two weeks after police abandoned a precinct station following standoffs and clashes that were part of the nationwide unrest over the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

As residents in the neighborhood watched from balconies, police cleared out the protesters’ tents from the park and made sure no one was left in the park’s bathrooms.

More than three dozen people were arrested, charged with failure to disperse, obstruction, assault and unlawful weapon possession.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Greenville, SC
Two people were killed and another eight injured during a nightclub shooting in Greenville, South Carolina, during a musical performance early Sunday.

Deputies who had been patrolling in the area rushed into Club Lavish after hearing shots fired and began evacuating people. Authorities have suspect information but did not identify a person of interest, Greenville County Sheriff Hobart Lewis said.

The sheriff said two deputies were leaving a call when they saw a crowd run from the venue at about 1:50 a.m.
It’s unclear if it was just one shooter as the nightclub had a large amount of casings inside. Lewis said the incident could potentially be gang related, though he did not give a reason why he believed that to be the case.
Lewis said he was unsure why the club was open at all given the state’s current coronavirus restrictions. South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster has allowed a number of businesses to reopen, but entertainment venues such as nightclubs and theaters have remained closed.

“We don't know if they filed an appeal to do that or not about the governor's order,” Lewis said. “I do know they were serving alcohol in there and those kind of things. I don't know how many people. I know there was a very, very, very large crowd... with very little space in there for any type of social distancing.”
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm Greenville, SC
Two people were killed and another eight injured during a nightclub shooting in Greenville, South Carolina, during a musical performance early Sunday.

Deputies who had been patrolling in the area rushed into Club Lavish after hearing shots fired and began evacuating people. Authorities have suspect information but did not identify a person of interest, Greenville County Sheriff Hobart Lewis said.

The sheriff said two deputies were leaving a call when they saw a crowd run from the venue at about 1:50 a.m.
It’s unclear if it was just one shooter as the nightclub had a large amount of casings inside. Lewis said the incident could potentially be gang related, though he did not give a reason why he believed that to be the case.
Lewis said he was unsure why the club was open at all given the state’s current coronavirus restrictions. South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster has allowed a number of businesses to reopen, but entertainment venues such as nightclubs and theaters have remained closed.

“We don't know if they filed an appeal to do that or not about the governor's order,” Lewis said. “I do know they were serving alcohol in there and those kind of things. I don't know how many people. I know there was a very, very, very large crowd... with very little space in there for any type of social distancing.”
Update -
Georgia rapper Foogiano was performing at the time of the shooting.

Foogiano posted on Instagram Monday that he had sent his condolences to the family of one of the victims. He said, “I don’t promote violence.”

Greenville County Sheriff Hobart Lewis said the shooting started when a member of Foogiano’s entourage, who was on stage, showed a gang sign to someone in the crowd.

That person was later identified as Jarquez Kezavion Cooper, who is now in custody.

Lewis said Cooper then pulled out a gun and fired a shot from the stage.

“He pulls his shirt up, pulls a pistol out, presents it and people kinda start to separate and get away from the original altercation and he begins to fire,” Lewis said.

Lewis said 12 rounds were fired and 10 people were shot.

Lewis said all the suspected shooters were part of the Foogiano’s entourage and entered the club through the back entrance.

He said the group included about 40 people.

Lewis said some of them were searched and others were not.

He said everyone that came through the front of the building was searched for weapons.

Lewis said no one from the Greenville area was involved in the shooting.

He said Foogiano is not cooperating with authorities. He said all communication with Foogiano has been through an attorney.

Lewis addressed rumors that the shooting happened over a gold chain. He said there is no video evidence of that. He said the shooting was gang-related.

He said the victims who died had nothing to do with the gang signs being shown or the shooting.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Idiocy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Peoria.
Peoria police say multiple shooters were involved in an incident on Peoria’s riverfront early Sunday morning that left 13 with gunshot wounds.

Officers responded at 4:42 a.m. to the area of Water Street and Hamilton Boulevard on a report of multiple people shot, she said.

When they arrived, they found a large gathering of nearly 200 people, she said.

200+ people party at 4:42am? During COVID?
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 pm Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Indeed.

Two victims were located at the scene — an adult male with a gunshot wound to the neck and an adult female with a gunshot wound to the back. Both victims were transported to a local hospital via ambulance with serious injuries.

Eleven victims with gunshot wounds to their extremities arrived separately at local hospitals via private vehicles.
Everyone but the two critical cases left and caught a ride to the ER. Going to guess this wasn't their first rodeo.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Meanwhile in Chicago, yesterday was Tuesday.

Cops: 15 shot as gunfire erupts outside Chicago funeral home
Fifteen people were shot, one person was being questioned and multiple suspects were being sought after gunfire erupted outside a funeral home on Chicago’s South Side where at least one squad car was present, police said.

First Deputy Superintendent Eric Carter said mourners outside a funeral home in the Gresham neighborhood were fired upon Tuesday from a passing vehicle. Carter said several targets of the shooting returned fire. The vehicle later crashed and the occupants fled in several directions. Carter said all the victims were adults.

A person of interest was being questioned Tuesday night but no arrests had been made, police said.

Police spokeswoman Sally Bown confirmed Wednesday morning ahead of a news conference planned by the city’s police superintendent and mayor that the 15 people were shot. Police were still trying to determine what sparked the shooting, including whether it may have been gang-related, she said.

“At this point I don’t think they know,” Bown said.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am Meanwhile in Chicago, yesterday was Tuesday.

One man's take. Very NSFW language.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anatomy of just another 2am shooting in Chicago.

Non-graphic but someone is shot and killed off screen.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Not sure if this should go here, the racism thread, or the police reform thread. Body cam video of Ahmaud Arbery slaying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... rc404=true
Last edited by Alefroth on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:57 pm Not sure if this should go here, the racism thread, or the police reform thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... rc404=true
Probably racism most of all. It's maddening. That is the root here. It's why they were chasing and shot an unarmed person. It is why the cop doesn't care about helping him. It is why they show deference to murderers and called it 'self-defense' based on their word. An unarmed man is lying bleeding in the street but the cop might as well be responding to a milk truck spill.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That was my first thought, but our previous discussion was here.

Arbery actually gasps and the cop doesn't even glance at him. Maybe he could tell by his wounds he wasn't going to survive, but fuck that's cold.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I can't keep track anymore, this is the guy who was just out jogging right?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Archinerd wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:25 pm I can't keep track anymore, this is the guy who was just out jogging right?

Up until he tried to defend himself.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but from the video you can see the front license plate is a confederate flag.

Can't understand why Arbery didn't just stop and answer their questions.

According to Bryan, the guy who followed and recorded, none of this would have happened if he'd just stopped and let them know what he was up to. Like a good boy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Boulder, CO
Boulder Police rushed to an active shooter call at a King Soopers on Table Mesa Drive near South Broadway. The call came in at around 2:30 p.m.
One man without a shirt on was walked out of the store in handcuffs about an hour after the first call. It appears his right leg was covered in blood. He was led to an ambulance and taken away to a local hospital.
At least three medical helicopters were seen landing at Fairview High School.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Word is that 6 people were killed including a police officer and the shooter was captured alive. Roll out the evergreen Onion article.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They went a different way with Atlanta.
Q: Could this be the mass shooting that finally persuades politicians to strengthen America’s gun laws?
A: No.

Q: Has the rhetoric of American politicians and media toward China contributed to racist anti-Asian sentiment?
A: This shooting has nothing to do with America’s noble efforts to slay the red dragon China before it uses its ancient powers of indoctrination to destroy the American way of life.
Q: How many mass shootings have happened this year?
A: Officials don’t know but can assure the public that there are more to come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That feels like the right level of derision.