Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: Running

Post by YellowKing »

coopasonic wrote:What is motivation? Where do you find it?
I think people who are actually motivated to run are psychotic. Or at the very least, masochists.

Running is something you do *in spite* of being unmotivated. The best runs I've ever had are the ones in which I didn't want to go out the door, but changed shoes and did it anyway. I've just learned to recognize the "I don't want to run tonight" feeling and use it as my trigger to get out there. And it's hard because sometimes I'm fighting my self and making excuses all the way out to the street.

There's a big runner in my Spartan group that has proven to be very motivational to me. One phrase he taught me was "There are no bad running days, just picky runners." Which basically nullified all the times I blamed the weather for not going running. He's also the one who taught me that it was OK to have "bad" days, as long as you didn't use them as an excuse not to get out there. So when I'm not feeling up to it, I just go run anyway with the recognition it may not be my fastest time or my longest distance, but I'm just going to get out there and do what I can do.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Even when I was running regularly -- 10K+ per day about 25 days per week, there were days I'd go out an know right away I didn't have it in me to run. Back then my runs would often start with a slight climb, and if I was gasping and wheezing after a half block I'd generally bag it since no run ever got less miserable as it went on. The best feeling was at the end of the run, knowing it was the longest possible time before the next time I subjected myself to this senseless torture.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm about 25 days per week
Now that's dedication. I've never done more than seven.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm
Not with that attitude.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I did a few... a couple? one? two-a-days when I was excited about the Ragnar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:01 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm
Not with that attitude.
Hah! I meant month. It felt like I was doing it all in a week though. I guess in that case it was sort of manufactured motivation -- I was using Nike+ at the time to track progress, and sort of got recruited into a group that did monthly competitions, The competitions were 21-23 days long, and runners were tiered by mileage run. So I tried to get to the highest tier I could maintain (which was like 3rd from the top - ~200 miles IIRC). After sustaining that for most of a summer, the iPod broke and f' that.
Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am I've been WFH since 3/11... 7 weeks... working from home should make it super easy to get a run in. I haven't run a single time in those 7 weeks.

What is motivation? Where do you find it?
Motivation doesn't work as well as routine. If you just make yourself get in 2-3 runs a week, tell yourself it's something you have to do, then after a couple weeks it just feels more automatic.

Another trick I read that works well for me is the concept of micro-routines. Instead of thinking "ok self, go for a run", just think of the easiest first step of the process. "Ok self, take my running shorts out of the closet." That's easier to gear yourself up for, and next thing you know you're putting on the shorts, putting on your running shoes, and then actually going for the run. Convince yourself to do that easy first step and the rest of the routine can fall into place.
This for the most part. If it is part of your daily routine, it is just the thing you do. But I am a very routine oriented person.

For me it is the fact if I don't run, I am grumpy - or grumpier than usual if you ask my family. :P

I make sure I lay out my running gear the night before (check the weather - do I need long sleeves or short?, etc.), get up with the alarm, gear up and head out the door. Just don't think about it or mull it over - if you do, you will dissuade yourself from going. The only time I don't run outside is if it is pissing rain.

I am an early morning runner - up at 5am, out the door by 5:15 or so (regularity first!), and back to stretch a bit and shower. That is *my* time for the day where I don't have to deal with anyone or anything. Noone is out that early, it is quiet and a lot cooler than mid day. Granted, I am only doing like 3-4 miles a day, except the weekend mornings when I can get in a longer run.

I really don't like running around a lot of people or in the heat, so getting going actually gears me up better for the whole day, and I feel I have greater energy and focus. Some days it is a bit tougher to get going, but when I push through that initial reluctance, I feel a lot better.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been doing some training courses through Runkeeper that have helped quite a bit as well. I find it easier to follow a regimented plan than to just take it upon myself to run some arbitrary distance.

On another topic, our employee gym just announced our annual spring 5K will be virtual this year. I've never done a virtual race so that should be a fun change of pace (no pun intended).
raydude

Post by raydude »

Turns out my torn meniscus was just a sprained knee tendon. Still hurt, and I was doing physical therapy through February. Then coronavirus hit and I was alternately mad and depressed at the bungling of the federal government. Then APL started their "work from home if you can" policy and then VA hit us with a lockdown.

Long story short, I was spending my days working from home, not working out, and feeling angry and depressed all the time. Then I realized it was mostly the derp of some family and friends on facebook that was keeping me down. I decided to stay off of it and started walking in the early mornings. I'm now up to running/walking and have been doing 3 miles in 50 minutes every day for the past week. I am planning to keep the 50 minute activity time and slowly increase the time spent running.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

That's great raydude! Good luck!

Motivation for me has been tough, as I had my spring race (and a nice, short, tune-up race at our local Guiness brewery) canceled out. That said, while I had a bad week or two since COVID broke out, I've maintained a decent run schedule. I'm still running 3-4 times a week, with totals ranging more in the 20 mile range, compared to the 30+ range when a race is on the horizon.

I can not do morning runs. And while I try to get outdoors more, I'm still usually in the basement on the treadmill, after the kids go to sleep, catching up on TV shows. No idea what my next marathon/state will be now.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:39 pm
coopasonic wrote:What is motivation? Where do you find it?
I think people who are actually motivated to run are psychotic. Or at the very least, masochists.

Running is something you do *in spite* of being unmotivated. The best runs I've ever had are the ones in which I didn't want to go out the door, but changed shoes and did it anyway. I've just learned to recognize the "I don't want to run tonight" feeling and use it as my trigger to get out there. And it's hard because sometimes I'm fighting my self and making excuses all the way out to the street.

There's a big runner in my Spartan group that has proven to be very motivational to me. One phrase he taught me was "There are no bad running days, just picky runners." Which basically nullified all the times I blamed the weather for not going running. He's also the one who taught me that it was OK to have "bad" days, as long as you didn't use them as an excuse not to get out there. So when I'm not feeling up to it, I just go run anyway with the recognition it may not be my fastest time or my longest distance, but I'm just going to get out there and do what I can do.
I like those quotes, YK. Personally, I always have the same refrain, which is a slight variation on the one you cite: "There are no bad miles."

I don't know about masochistic or psychotic. For me, the motivation comes from how good it makes me feel. The only real time I can ever turn my mind off and just "be" is when I'm running. Only in the middle of a run can I really zone out. I've tried meditation and mindfulness, but I pretty much suck at that because I find it so difficult to disengage my mind. But when I'm running and listening to music and my cadence and breathing are in line, it just feels like I'm floating and thinking about nothing.

And, of course, there's the amazing feeling of stopping - the rush of accomplishment combined with endorphins is pretty awesome.

For me, the COVID-19 quarantine has resulted in some running breakthroughs. In addition to the fact that my pace has broken through a long-held plateau, I'm running more miles now than I ever have. April was a monthly mileage PR for me at 172.7, and the last week was a PR for weekly mileage at 52.37. I'm at 616.2 so far this year, which also puts me on pace for a yearly mileage PR.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What Kurth said. Except the last paragraph--that's nuts. Congrats, dude.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Kurth wrote:For me, the COVID-19 quarantine has resulted in some running breakthroughs. In addition to the fact that my pace has broken through a long-held plateau, I'm running more miles now than I ever have. April was a monthly mileage PR for me at 172.7, and the last week was a PR for weekly mileage at 52.37. I'm at 616.2 so far this year, which also puts me on pace for a yearly mileage PR.
That's awesome! I'm at my highest running level this year as well, but I was headed in that direction before the quarantine. I had made a vow at the beginning of the year that I was going to be cardio-ready for my Spartan classes, because that's the area I typically suffered the most. So I started in early January running consistently in prep for classes starting in late Feb. I think we got 2 or 3 classes in before quarantine, but I just kept going on the cardio front.

I'm not a long distance runner; I typically do 9-10 miles a week. Currently I'm at 118.5 miles for the year. (Caveat - that's slightly low as I'm going by my Runkeeper stats and I did have some weeks in there where I was using other apps). However, I've already surpassed my total mileage for ALL of last year. I'm also 2 minutes faster average pace than last year. So huge, huge improvement.

And yeah, I was being a little tongue in cheek with the psychotic comment, because I agree it does make you feel really good. I use it as my primary stress management. I can actually tell a change in mood when I've missed runs.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So, a buddy roped me into doing this: The Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee.
Race organizers all over the country are rapidly learning the ropes of virtual racing amidst the coronavirus pandemic, and Barkley Marathons creator Gary “Lazarus Lake” Cantrell is no different.

With the cancellation of the Barkley Marathons in March and most of his other races currently frozen, Cantrell, along with friend Steve Durbin, brainstormed the idea of hosting a virtual race. A few phone conversations later, they came up with an idea that fit the mold of a Barkley-esque event—The Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1,000K. They posted it on RunSignUp that same night.

The concept is simple: Participants run the 1,000k distance (a little over 621 miles)—the rough equivalent of running from the southeastern corner of the state to the northwestern corner—between May 1 and August 31. In order to cover the distance in time, participants must run just over five miles a day at minimum.
When I signed up yesterday, it seemed doable since my friend told me I could backfill my runs in May prior to signing up. Unfortunately, when I tried to do that last night, I ran into a big banner on the tracking page that said in no uncertain terms that backfilling runs was no longer allowed (no mileage submissions more than 4 days after the actual run). So, that's about 110 miles in May that won't count for me, and it translates into an average mileage requirement of just under 6 miles between now and the end of August.

Still doable, but now it's going to be a real challenge!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's a pretty nifty idea, Kurth. I wonder if Rhode Island is doing the same? Tennessee is too damn long. :D

Today, my last WFH day, my wife and I ran about 5K at lunch. First time in nearly 3 years that I went running outside. It was slow (wife asked I not leave her in the dust) and my legs are complaining a bit, but it's a restart. My son wanted to go, might try with him tomorrow. The challenge with him is endurance, he has the sprints down well, but he's never tried a sustained run.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 pm That's a pretty nifty idea, Kurth. I wonder if Rhode Island is doing the same? Tennessee is too damn long. :D

Today, my last WFH day, my wife and I ran about 5K at lunch. First time in nearly 3 years that I went running outside. It was slow (wife asked I not leave her in the dust) and my legs are complaining a bit, but it's a restart. My son wanted to go, might try with him tomorrow. The challenge with him is endurance, he has the sprints down well, but he's never tried a sustained run.
Jeff - Running with my kids is one of my favorite things to do. I can't get my daughter into it, buy my boys (12 and 16) are both runners, and my time running with them -- away from screens and distractions -- is the best. Not sure how old your son is, but whatever you do, make sure he enjoys those first runs with you. If he feels good about what he's accomplished and has some fun, you've got a solid chance of hooking him on a sport that will set him up well in life, not to mention give you ample opportunity to hang out with him as he gets older. Good luck!!!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My son is 6, and the problem is for him, running=sprint. He doesn't grasp the concept of pacing for a long run.

Last year, we went running, a series of 7 block-long sprints interspersed with 7 block-long walks. Going into the last one, we were tied at 3 (and he legitimately won those three, I wasn't dogging it). He was winning on the last one too, when suddenly he slowed down, grabbed my hand, and said, "daddy we're going to finish together. We're both winners." :wub:
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

A nonny mouse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:36 am
raydude wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:31 pm My kids gave me a gift of new shoes for Christmas, bought with their own money. Jordan Air Max 200. The problem is that on three separate occasions I've had shin splints in my left leg, whereas I didn't with my previous running shoes. I think I'm going to have to go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted. I'll just use the Jordans for work.
Nice shoes, bur 100% not for running. What have you run in before? If you are concerned about injury, check out the new NIKE React Infinity Run Flyknit. Designed to help reduce wear-related running injury.
Or to save a bit of money, you could try the Epic React flyknit 2 which seems like pretty much the direct ancestor. Just make sure you try them for size before you buy. I wear a 9.5 in every other running shoe, but for some reason with the Epic Flyknit 2 I need a 10. They are perfect and super comfy.

I wear the Flyknit 2 as my daily runner (every morning), since Nike totally botched the redesign of my beloved Vomeros. The Vomero 14 is not a Vomero except in name.

I alternate the Flyknit 2 a few times a week with an older pair of Vomeros I have (Vomero 12's). The flyknit 2's are firm yet give plenty of cusion, and are a "neutral" shoe.
Made it to 3.8 miles in 50 minutes today doing running/walking. Now that it's more running than walking I finally broke down and bought the React flynit 2 from nike.com. It was on sale so that was a bonus. I checked out the return policy; I'll be able to return it within 30 days even after trying it out. I wear a 9.5 as well, which is what I ordered. We'll see if it's too small and I need to exchange for a 10.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I managed my first 4 mile run last week. That was quite a milestone, considering I couldn't run more than about a mile at the start of the year.

I ditched my Runkeeper 10k training because it was so focused on pace. I really don't care how fast or slow I run, so I found myself stressing so much about keeping within its pace guidelines that I didn't enjoy myself.

I switched over to the 10K trainer from C25K and that one has been a bit more fun. It's not perfect but it focuses more on endurance and mileage than pace which I like.

I have the virtual 5K race coming up next weekend which I feel really prepared for. After 4 miles, doing 3 should be a breeze. Too bad it isn't a "real" one as I haven't fully run (no walking) an actual 5K in a couple of years and feel confident I could do it now. It will still be a nice accomplishment at the end of this long stretch of training I've been on since early in the year.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I am a longtime walker, but over the past 2-3 months have begun running. It went much better than I expected. I was taking 4 mile walk/runs during workday mornings and running about 3-3.33 miles of them. (running say 3 of those days). Then on the weekends I would do 7 mile walks and run during some of them. (For the record I run slow. I started with mile times in the > 13 minute range. Now I typically run miles in the 10-11:30 minute mile range. (Anyway I got to a point where a couple of Saturdays in a row I ran over 6 miles straight - which was awesome! BUT, after that 2nd 6 mile run I noticed a big problem.... sore hips. So I have been trying to baby my hips back to health. Last week it was pretty rainy and I basically rested completely Tues-Friday. Then last Saturday I managed to run about 4 miles but then had to stop due to hip pain. This sucks!!! Walking all week this week and will try again Saturday. I guess for hips all you can do is rest. Getting older ain't for sissies...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
stessier

Post by stessier »

JCC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm So I am a longtime walker, but over the past 2-3 months have begun running. It went much better than I expected. I was taking 4 mile walk/runs during workday mornings and running about 3-3.33 miles of them. (running say 3 of those days). Then on the weekends I would do 7 mile walks and run during some of them. (For the record I run slow. I started with mile times in the > 13 minute range. Now I typically run miles in the 10-11:30 minute mile range. (Anyway I got to a point where a couple of Saturdays in a row I ran over 6 miles straight - which was awesome! BUT, after that 2nd 6 mile run I noticed a big problem.... sore hips. So I have been trying to baby my hips back to health. Last week it was pretty rainy and I basically rested completely Tues-Friday. Then last Saturday I managed to run about 4 miles but then had to stop due to hip pain. This sucks!!! Walking all week this week and will try again Saturday. I guess for hips all you can do is rest. Getting older ain't for sissies...
It might just be age, but you should probably also consider the type of shoes you have and remember to stretch afterwards.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yes, I have some pretty quality running shoes I got at a running store prior to the quarantine. (This is my 2nd pair.) So I think my shoes should be OK. I think I am probably just going to have keep resting from running until the problem is gone. If this Saturday I can't match last week's run distance then I will probably take 13 days off from running, etc. I don't really want to run farther than the 6.3 miles I was doing on Saturdays. If I get back to that without hip pain I will be happy.

While I do stretch, does that do anything to aid/help with sore hips? I figured stretching was more for muscles than joints, but I am not a doctor!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

raydude wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am
raydude wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:31 pm My kids gave me a gift of new shoes for Christmas, bought with their own money. Jordan Air Max 200. The problem is that on three separate occasions I've had shin splints in my left leg, whereas I didn't with my previous running shoes. I think I'm going to have to go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted. I'll just use the Jordans for work.
Nice shoes, bur 100% not for running. What have you run in before? If you are concerned about injury, check out the new NIKE React Infinity Run Flyknit. Designed to help reduce wear-related running injury.
Or to save a bit of money, you could try the Epic React flyknit 2 which seems like pretty much the direct ancestor. Just make sure you try them for size before you buy. I wear a 9.5 in every other running shoe, but for some reason with the Epic Flyknit 2 I need a 10. They are perfect and super comfy.

I wear the Flyknit 2 as my daily runner (every morning), since Nike totally botched the redesign of my beloved Vomeros. The Vomero 14 is not a Vomero except in name.

I alternate the Flyknit 2 a few times a week with an older pair of Vomeros I have (Vomero 12's). The flyknit 2's are firm yet give plenty of cusion, and are a "neutral" shoe.
Made it to 3.8 miles in 50 minutes today doing running/walking. Now that it's more running than walking I finally broke down and bought the React flynit 2 from nike.com. It was on sale so that was a bonus. I checked out the return policy; I'll be able to return it within 30 days even after trying it out. I wear a 9.5 as well, which is what I ordered. We'll see if it's too small and I need to exchange for a 10.
Great to hear about the running! The run/walk is what I did for a while, and is actually recommended by trainers for not burning out or injuring oneself. Sooner than not you will be running the entire way and not realize it until you get to your door.

I hope you like the flyknit 2's. I really enjoy them and have trepidation about if I ever have to switch. You will know if they don't fit, because during and after the run, it feels as if you rubbed your toes with sandpaper. it was weird. There seemed to be enough room in the toe box, but the tops and tips of the toes were rubbing raw. Once i upped the size, perfect.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

JCC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:47 pm Yes, I have some pretty quality running shoes I got at a running store prior to the quarantine.
Did the running store do a gait analysis? Quality isn't going to help if the shoe you bought is tailored for the opposite of your running style and could be doing more damage than running in something more generic.
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Running...only when chased
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm Did the running store do a gait analysis? Quality isn't going to help if the shoe you bought is tailored for the opposite of your running style and could be doing more damage than running in something more generic.
They did but they just looked at my walking gait since that was all I was doing at that time. When these shoes wear out (assuming the store is open) I will go back and get them to reassess. Great point - thanks! :)
Black Lives Matter

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm on my 3rd pair of Brooks Glycerin (just did my first run in the new ones last week). To show how little I've been running, I switched to them a month prior to the 2012 Chicago Marathon and I'm pretty good at retiring them when their odometer hits 500 miles or so.

I went to a running store owned by a podiatrist. After watching me run, he had me try three different shoes, and Brooks were easily the most comfortable. In gratitude, I paid full retail running store price. I didn't want to be like my friend who once got fitted, then found the shoes for $50 less online and returned the ones from the store!

Anyway, one thing the podiatrist told me was my gait was not really conducive to happy endurance runs. He encouraged me to do my best on the marathon, and suggested I not pursue other ones as the training would never not be grueling. That marathon about ended me as a runner, although I toughed out a half in 2015 (in training for the marathon, i got to the point where a half was an easy run and hoped it would stay that way!) We should have nice running weather this weekend, I'll see if I can get my wife out again. We do need to get more into a routine though. I like the idea of a virtual race, especially if t-shirts are still given (or medals even). It would allow participation in far flung places and then you can strut around wearing the shirt as if you were there. :D
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished my virtual 5K this morning, first I've ever done. We used the IYR Virtual app, which worked pretty well.

I was really slow - 39:48. I credit that to two things - 1. It was brutally hot outside this morning, even racing early. 85+ with high humidity. I typically run in the late evening, so that heat really sapped me. 2. It's quite different running a 5K with no people around to get your adrenaline pumping and having others to pace off of.

However, I'm just happy I completed it. It's been at least 2 years since I've run a "proper" 5K with no walking, so I'm thrilled that I'm back up to the fitness level where I can complete one with relative ease. Speed's never been that important to me anyway - I completed a sub-30 minute 5K 3 or 4 years ago and after that accomplishment never cared much about my pace again.

At any rate, I enjoyed it enough that I'd consider giving other Virtual 5Ks a shot, provided they aren't too expensive. Kind of gives me something to stay motivated while race season is in quarantine.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats YK! Happy to hear it went well, despite the weather.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grats!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I managed to rung BOTH days this weekend. Holy hell am I slow.

In my teens I would motivate myself by saying "the faster I run, the faster I am done." I'm thinking the same thing now, but "done" has a very different meaning.

I'm accustomed to starting at an 8 minute pace (I was always the rabbit on my HS cross country team, when it was sub-5 first miles) and then dropping off towards 10 minutes going into the 4th or 5th mile. Now I start at 10 and drop to 10:40-ish as I want to curl up and die after 3 miles.

I'm at 21.2 miles so far this year with a massive SEVEN runs! Last year was 51 miles in 15 runs. I think I can beat it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I did a 5K the other day...well, actually ran 4K and gave in to heat and all-around unshapeliness and walked the last kilometer. I'm currently suffering from extremely painful heel calluses and it was an ordeal to walk the dog a mile today. I did manage to get my ass on the bike for the first time in 2 years and rode 11 miles, but I don't think I can run again until my heel problem is fixed.
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

A nonny mouse wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:23 pm
raydude wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am

Great to hear about the running! The run/walk is what I did for a while, and is actually recommended by trainers for not burning out or injuring oneself. Sooner than not you will be running the entire way and not realize it until you get to your door.

I hope you like the flyknit 2's. I really enjoy them and have trepidation about if I ever have to switch. You will know if they don't fit, because during and after the run, it feels as if you rubbed your toes with sandpaper. it was weird. There seemed to be enough room in the toe box, but the tops and tips of the toes were rubbing raw. Once i upped the size, perfect.
So the size 9.5 Flynit 2s were indeed too small for my feet. I sent them back for a refund as Nike had sold out of the shoe and the other Flynit was too expensive for my budget. I did some reading online and got myself Brooks Ghost 12 shoes in size 10 wide. These are great! What a difference better shoes make! I'm running/walking 4 miles in 50 minutes now and put in 16 miles last week. My knees definitely feel better post-run.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just replaced my Saucony Guide 8s with Guide 13s. Yeah it has been a while. Wow these things are SOFT. I'll get my first run in them tomorrow morning. I am not sure how much I will like running on clouds.

I'm actually on the brink of something amazing. If I run both days this weekend I will have run 8 times in June. You may not find that particularly amazing, but I ran 15 times in all of 2019 so for me it's pretty out there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the record, new shoes was not a magic bullet. Running still sucks and I am still a minute slower than last year. 24.4 miles in 8 runs for June vs 5.6 total miles in May so a little bit better. For some reason I am not progressing at all this year. I think it may relate to my completely sedentary weekdays. :( Going into the office involved a lot more stairs and general walking around. I really need to address that as it seems unlikely I will be back int he office this year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm starting to backslide a bit myself. Hit a wall in my Couch to 10K training and I think it took some of the wind out of my sails.

Trying to focus on not getting hung up on not being able to complete a run, and just do my best until I can complete it.

I've run 177 miles so far this year compared to 98.3 ALL of last year. So I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. I still need to get my damn eating under control. All the running doesn't mean much if I'm coming back home to eat fast food and key lime pie.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've slacked with my running too. Not intentionally, and not totally. But compared to recent years, it's just tough to get going when I'm not signed up for any races, and it's so much easier to sit on the couch and watch TV or play games. Rough times for sure.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's been rough for me, between not being able to go to the gym (which was a solid 1/2 of my running), it being super hot and the kids being home all day for 3.5 months now. I'm at 394 miles for the year, but only 91 for May/June. And April was worse.

Lately I've just bucked up and gotten out the door more, as it's become crystal clear that I won't be going back to the gym anytime soon, and if we get into the fall/winter where it becomes harder to go outside and I look back and see how much time I wasted, I'm going to regret it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm I'm using GTS-19 from Brooks. Just about to retire a pair. Not sure if the 20s are out yet or not though.

I'm up to 176.67 miles run and 31.15 miles swum (?) for the year. My pace is ahead for both to achieve my goals for the year. I'm finding the every other day between swimming and running to provide a nice mental challenge.
That quote is from March 2 - seems like a lifetime ago. I stopped going to the gym on 3/17.

The gym was my only way to swim, so - barring a miracle scientific breakthrough - 43.6 miles is going to be my yearly total.

For running, it was too cold for most of March and April for me to get outside and I only logged 9 runs from March 17 to May 10. That was a particularly dark time that included working at home with ample access to stocked up food supplies - which I was happy to work on whittling down while eating my feelings. I gained 15 lbs.

Starting May 11 until today, I've run 44 out of a possible 51 days and lost 9 of those COVID pounds. Two of those days I skipped were from this weekend when the Saharan dust was blowing around the neighborhood - it was shocking how hazy it was and even though I'm not in an at risk group, I just didn't see the benefit of risking breathing all that in to get a few more miles in. I'm up to 530.7 miles for the year. I had a mileage goal of 900 miles for the year when I was running/swimming, so I'm sure I will reach it easily now. My plan to work out 293 times in the year, though, is dead. I can only miss 10 more days the rest of the year and I just don't have the will power these days to try it.

Really looking forward to September when it will start cooling down again. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am My plan to work out 293 times in the year, though, is dead. I can only miss 10 more days the rest of the year and I just don't have the will power these days to try it.
Two-a-days!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter