Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, Solomon Kane STILL hasn't been delivered?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Critical Role: The Legend of Vox Machina (May 2020)
Dinogenics: Controlled Chaos (February 2020)
Reaper Bones 5 (April 2021)
The Level Up (September 2020)
Ghost Dry Brush (October 2020)
Conan: The Conqueror (February 2021)
Deadlands Audio Collection (rolling release)
Sword & Sorcery Ancient Chronicles (Q4 2020)
Board game clips (May 2020)
Scale75 Instant Colors (Oct 2020)
Tiny Epic Pirates (March 2021)
RGG 360 handle (July 2020)
Desk Wizards (July 2020)

That's my list, copied off of my reference chart. I also have a Torg: Eternity pack coming at some point, which will sadly just go on a shelf.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm Sheesh, Solomon Kane STILL hasn't been delivered?
Nope. I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't deliver until next year. They just started producing the plastic components apparently. Paper hasn't started yet. Two to three months for that, quality check for a month, a month at sea. Probably get to distribution hubs around December assuming there are no further delays.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:00 pm Dinogenics: Controlled Chaos (February 2020)
Well, at-least that one should be soon. :wink:
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Misen Carbon Steel Pan - Jul 2020
Tainted Grail- August 2020
Altar Quest - September 2020
Midnight World (RPG) - September 2020
Arena: The Contest - October 2020
Blacklist Miniatures (just Altar Quest minis) - October 2020
Ghost Dry Brush - October 2020
RGG V2 Miniature Holder - October 2020
Sleeping Gods - October 2020
Dice Throne Adventures - November 2020
Lords of Vegas Expansions - November 2020
Batman: The Animated Series - December 2020
Folklore: The Fall of the Spire - December 2020
Sword & Sorcery Season 2 - December 2020
Oathsworn - December 2020
Return to Dark Tower - Feb 2021
Chronicles of Drunagor - March 2021
Etherfields - March 2021
Frosthaven - March 2021
Marvel United - March 2021
Tanares Adventures - April 2021
Vampire: The Masquerade Chapters - July 2021
Squidmar Kolinsky Brushes - Not finished campaign yet

No, I don't have a problem. *points finger* You have a problem!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm kind of surprised how little overlap there is between all of our lists.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Eight different individuals submitted a list, here are the common occurrences. I realized afterward that I should have accounted for and totaled the number of unique data points but it's late and I didn't want to. :D

SCALE75 Instant Colors paints x4
Steampunk Rally Fusion x2
Dinogenics x3
Dice Throne Adventures x3
Batman The Animated Series x2
Sanctuary: The Keepers Era x2
Frosthaven x3
Etherfields x3
Altar Quest x2.5
Steampunk Rally x2
GPS, Sequoia, and Mountain Goats x2
Tiny Epic Pirates x3
Starlight x2
Tainted Grail x2
Sleeping Gods x2
Conan: The Conqueror x2
Ghost Dry Brush x2
Sword and Sorcery x2
RGG 360 handle x2
Ankh: Gods of Egypt x2
Reaper Bones 5 x2
Desk Wizard x2
King's Forge: Masterworks x2
Oath x2

Edit: updated for additional list submission
Last edited by Tao on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 pm I'm kind of surprised how little overlap there is between all of our lists.
I noticed that, too, although there is some. A big chunk of mine is accessories (clips, risers) or miniatures stuff (Bones, handles, paints, organizers.) I don't have a lot of money, so I'm very hesitant to drop what leisure money I have on board games unless I can be 99% certain that they're going to be a good fit, not when there are existing titles that I can be certain of. So when I back a game, it usually means that it's from an established company with a good reputation and that they're similar to a game I already know is a match for us. The games on my list now are either expansions for games I already have (Dinogenics, Sword & Sorcery, Conan) or games that I don't have but I was able to get a very good sense of from similar games (Tiny Epic.)

Looking back over my entire pledge history going back to 2012 (Bones 1 was my first), I've only ever backed two games without some frame of reference going in. One was Dungeon Roll, which was only $20 and I was disappointed with. That was my second KS, and where I learned to be careful. The other one was Dinogenics, which I have been very happy with. That one I backed because there was an OO tie (obviously), and I like to think I helped just a little bit with the name (my suggestion was DinoGen back when 'Paleo Land' was still on the table.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now you're doing data analysis, my addiction:

Ankh: Gods of Egypt - May 2021
Reaper Bones 5 - April 2021
Tiny Epic Pirates - Mar 2021
Oath - Jan 2021
Cloudspire: Ankar's Plunder - Nov 2020
Car Wars 6th Ed - Nov 2020
Zombicide 2d Ed (Upgrades) - Nov 2020
Unsettled (Late Pledge) - Oct 2020
Here to Slay - Sept 2020
Desk Wizard - July 2020
Star Realms Addons - July 2020
Out of the Box Encounters - July 2020
Spirit Island: Jagged Earth - May 2020
Game Canopy - May 2020
DinoGenics: Controlled Chaos - Feb 2020
King's Forge: Masterworks - Nov 2019
Belfort 10th Anniversary (Expansion) - July 2019

King's Forge and Belfort have no excuses for being so late. Unlisted are 2 vaporware computer games and one board game bag (but the Game Canopy is much better product anyway). Kickstarter has become my board game preorder system.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I have a KS budget of 2000HKD, roughly 250USD per month (self-imposed). The problem is sticking to that budget.

Running KS projects now that I've backed add up to 611 USD :lol: :lol: . But as the projects near their end I reevaluate and then cancel my pledges to lower the amount to 250 or at least as close as can.

Current backings:

The only ones that will not get canceled for sure are Monumental (game is really good) and Pitch&Plakks (I can use it for school). The rest will be culled at some point.

I know I can just 'follow' instead of pledging but I just like it better this way.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Also for me, King's Forge and Project L are extremely late :roll: .

Reavers of Midgard has the crown at the moment with 7 months delay, but it will most definitely lose it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

If anyone's interested in Oath but hasn't tried it on TTS yet, Leder Games is taking applications for rulebook usability testing. Basically, you read the rulebook, sharing thoughts and impressions out loud, while someone from Leder Games listens in. Then you teach the game to friends, again with someone from Leder observing.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have unfortunately completely lost track of my KS's I'm not sure what's still coming, what I missed via pledge manager (hopefully nothing), what's been released digitally. I blame this on my completely out of control mailbox. I have over 12,000 emails right now. A big part of this is COVID since I was bedridden for almost 3 weeks and once I could get out of bed I really wasn't up to doing anything at all. Someday I will have to tame the beast. for now, I randomly do search for KS to see if I have anything important. I did see that I have backed 555 projects.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am I did see that I have backed 555 projects.
Holy shit. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:It's definitely lite, but it's a bit too meta for me. Trying to optimize dice in a very specific way (color, pattern) after a while becomes more about that then the actual game. It's very well designed, but it always just felt like too much work to get into. I might be weird though, I'll admit it.

And yeah, the $100 price seems crazy - particularly with a $120 MSRP.
I was also drawn to the D&D style modules and was about to curse your name yet again for bringing this to my attention but for $100 it's pretty easy to pass up so Smoove_B is awesome again...until the next kickstarter.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am
Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am I did see that I have backed 555 projects.
Skinnypuppy = Me 10 years ago

Punisher = Me now

Give it time, SP. you’re relatively new to the hobby, but you’re hooked. :D
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am
Skinnypuppy = Me 10 years ago

Punisher = Me now

Give it time, SP. you’re relatively new to the hobby, but you’re hooked. :D
I certainly am, but I'm fairly confident that I'll ever get to the 555 projects backed level of hooked.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah even at like $50 a project that's... ummm.... a lot. I guess if it was a lot of $1 keep me updated type backings I could see it, but actual things? Like 1 a week for 10 years straight? No.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, I'm guessing many of those aren't game related. I think Punisher backs a lot of small, non game stuff. I just looked at my list and my grand total is 141 over the course of a decade or so. So I'm nowhere near 555 myself. That surprised me as I thought I had more.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I show 42 in eight years, several in the $1 range, and a significant number in the under-$20 range. My 'big' ones were Bones and Conan.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

70 projects, $6,988.

A couple of those are in euros and a couple are in $CDN but it's close enough.

A handful of video games in the early years but I haven't backed a video game since gangs of Deadville about a thousand years ago (or maybe 2013?).

There is also a board game table($858) and a couple generations of the Pebble smart watches that are driving up the average a bit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

According to Kickstarter, I've backed 33 games (includes reviewers like NPI and Drive Thru Games), 3 film and video, 4 comics, 1 journalism (a board game magazine), and 1 art (a friend's theatrical production).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

136 projects in 9 years, of which 134 are board games. I'm definitely on the down-slope of my KS experience frenzy (which I think peaked around 2014/15 or so. No more video game KS projects for me, very few big board game projects. Lots of smaller (< $50) RPG related stuff of late.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:25 pm To be fair, I'm guessing many of those aren't game related. I think Punisher backs a lot of small, non game stuff. I just looked at my list and my grand total is 141 over the course of a decade or so. So I'm nowhere near 555 myself. That surprised me as I thought I had more.
Up until about 2 years ago i had about 300 plus game related things. Some were addons to games and saome were game adjacent like paints and brushes for the minis and a ton on 3d models for my 3d printers.
Then i started digging into comics a lot and slowly backed off on games so id say the majority is ganes and game related. I got really addicted to getting KS games that ill probably never bring to the table but looked really cool.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Is there an easy way you guys are getting accurate numbers and breakdown or just grunt work?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you view your backed projects page, it lists the total number of backed kickstarters on the top right of the page.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm at 122 :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, you’re catching up to me! Time to back something!
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm Ah, you’re catching up to me! Time to back something!
:D :D :D :D

I just backed out on 3 projects ^^.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm If you view your backed projects page, it lists the total number of backed kickstarters on the top right of the page.
Yes. That’s where I got my 555 number. ;) I mean a breakdown of a list of the games but not the current clunky list that KS has now.
One day I’ll have to go through and see if I can copy/paste the list into excel or something. I am a bit scared of my total $ if I do (which doesn’t take into account the inevitable pledge manger additions.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So. I was awake and bored and tried a copy pate and it kind of worked but there is clutter and things need to be cleaned up a lot.
I also did an autosum for my amounts (not including pledge manager addons) and it is $12,452!
Now, that sounds crazy, but keep in mind this was a simple C/P in the middle of the night job. There is a good amount of foreign currency getting calculated incorrectly. As an example, I backed a VR game for 3,980 Yen which is only about $35 USD. As another example, I also have some British Pound things that would be higher in USD. I tried doing a quick search for a simple currency converter. Something that will recognize the actual symbol or whatever in the cell and convert to USD. The ones I found require more work than I'm willing to put in for now so I may decide to do it manually to get a more accurate amount. If I get really bored at some point down the line I may try to go through my pledge managers and add those as well but I don't currently feel a psychotic breakdown coming on that would warrant that move.
I am also now up to 556 thanks to a video game that just ended and I have about 10 things in my queue (I used to have an average of about 30 things or more at any given time, but I have backed off a lot over the past year due to financial changes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm If you view your backed projects page, it lists the total number of backed kickstarters on the top right of the page.
Yes. That’s where I got my 555 number. ;) I mean a breakdown of a list of the games but not the current clunky list that KS has now.
One day I’ll have to go through and see if I can copy/paste the list into excel or something. I am a bit scared of my total $ if I do (which doesn’t take into account the inevitable pledge manger additions.
Whoops, sorry.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:13 am So. I was awake and bored and tried a copy pate and it kind of worked but there is clutter and things need to be cleaned up a lot.
I also did an autosum for my amounts (not including pledge manager addons) and it is $12,452!
Now, that sounds crazy, but keep in mind this was a simple C/P in the middle of the night job. There is a good amount of foreign currency getting calculated incorrectly. As an example, I backed a VR game for 3,980 Yen which is only about $35 USD. As another example, I also have some British Pound things that would be higher in USD. I tried doing a quick search for a simple currency converter. Something that will recognize the actual symbol or whatever in the cell and convert to USD. The ones I found require more work than I'm willing to put in for now so I may decide to do it manually to get a more accurate amount. If I get really bored at some point down the line I may try to go through my pledge managers and add those as well but I don't currently feel a psychotic breakdown coming on that would warrant that move.
I am also now up to 556 thanks to a video game that just ended and I have about 10 things in my queue (I used to have an average of about 30 things or more at any given time, but I have backed off a lot over the past year due to financial changes.

Mine is at 5600 ish USD for 122 projects :lol:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 am
Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 am
Whoops, sorry.
You should be sorry! How dare you try to help! What is wrong with you?!?!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I keep seeing the series mentioned as being fantastic for solo, but I have no experience. With that, Rallyman: DIRT just launched.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got my 3D printed color mini back from the Hero Forge Kickstarter:

It’s interesting. The mini almost looks like I had tried to dullcote it when it was too humid, the frosting that you see (especially on the cloak.) The metallics don’t really look metallic. And you are limited on the number of color choices. And it’s WAY too expensive.

But the technology is fascinating. And will only get better and drop in price as the years roll by.

(Brother Amberson, a War Cleric I’ve been using in D&D AL events for the past several years now. )
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's really fascinating, and quite impressive overall.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When did Kraken get a warhammer?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't be willing to experiment on an expensive piece, but I do wonder whether the material would be able to be sanded down to a smooth surface without looking scratched up.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Do the colors go deep or is it only a thin layer on top? Can you tell?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:14 pm Do the colors go deep or is it only a thin layer on top? Can you tell?
No real way to tell, without cutting into it (which I am loath to do.) If you look at the top of the war pick, it shows white, like the metal color didn't get applied there.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire