Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020? No, it's 2020!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2020? No, it's 2020!

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am If he did quit though, I can absolutely guarantee it would be for some bullshit reason other than "I think I'm going to lose in a landslide." It would be a bone spurs situation in which some imaginary health problem or family issue would "force" him to step down. And somehow he'd figure out a way to blame it on the Democrats.
But Trump is the healthiest person to ever hold the Presidency, or so I was told.
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am If he did quit though, I can absolutely guarantee it would be for some bullshit reason other than "I think I'm going to lose in a landslide." It would be a bone spurs situation in which some imaginary health problem or family issue would "force" him to step down. And somehow he'd figure out a way to blame it on the Democrats.
It would involve some delusional statement where he says "Despite the Democrats and the Fake News, I made America Great Again, I did it all in one term because I'm so amazing, and because I've already one I don't need a second term."
The old Bush I defense from The Simpsons.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am It would take someone outside of Trump's orbit (Hogan or Baker or even Romney) to get me to vote GOP in 2020. Pence wouldn't be enough.
Friendly reminder that no one should be voting GOP in 2020. Literally no one. That the party needs to be dismantled entirely is an objective truth.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am
It would take someone outside of Trump's orbit (Hogan or Baker or even Romney) to get me to vote GOP in 2020. Pence wouldn't be enough.
Oh my god.

You would hand this GOP a 2020 president, (yes, yes) even with one of them 'in charge' ! ?

I mean? what !?
Sorry - the GOP is a large group and they cannot be trusted as a whole.... I'm happy Romney stood up once or twice, but - no.
"Sure, we showed almost universal loyalty to a dangerous, racist would-be authoritarian. But that was last week - ancient history! We're much better now - you can trust us."
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wasn't Pence put in charge of dealing with Covid19?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 am Wasn't Pence put in charge of dealing with Covid19?
He was put in charge to handle the Administration's response to Covid19.

Big difference.

It's more like me being put in charge to watch my daughter's imaginary pet unicorn or something.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If Pence gets the nomination, campaign video:

Trump assigning Covid19 response to Pence (helps tie him to Trump) with a backdrop of body bags and graphs of rising deaths. Final shot of him walking out of that sports stadium with implications of him being a quitter. Cue sad trombone.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, Pence is and was always just a prop in this administration. Cover for evangelicals. He would be hopeless and powerless in trying to engage and keep the Trump Base... attacking him would almost give him the most legitimacy he could hope for.

In any case, I think Trump's plan is to just call the election a total fraud. And it's frightening to think of what he may do when forced to 'go all in' on that belief and perhaps not step aside....
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully Trump isn't enough of a quitter to drop out just because of a few early polls.
Spoiler:
Hopefully he's just enough of a quitter to drop out after two or three more months of them. Pence's six week campaign for the lose!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Lincoln Project is so savage. I'd laugh if the truth wasn't so tragic.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am Honestly, Pence is and was always just a prop in this administration. Cover for evangelicals. He would be hopeless and powerless in trying to engage and keep the Trump Base... attacking him would almost give him the most legitimacy he could hope for.
I'd argue he's kept silent on the worst aspects of the Trump administration which opens him up to complicity arguments but he has been a fairly by the numbers VP. I think he'd have a fighting chance unfortunately as his negatives have to be much, much lower than Trump's.
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm The Lincoln Project is so savage. I'd laugh if the truth wasn't so tragic.
Yup. They really just push his 'act bad' buttons.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Speaking of Moscow Mitch, a new challenger has officially arrived:
Retired Marine fighter pilot Amy McGrath will face off against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell this fall, after winning a closer-than-expected primary against progressive challenger Charles Booker.

The primary proved to be a nail-biter up until the very end, with Booker and McGrath each pulling ahead at various stages of vote-counting. Booker dominated in Jefferson County, his home area around Louisville and a key area for Democrats. But ultimately, a weaker margin outside of Lexington wasn’t enough to make up McGrath’s showing in rural areas outside the two cities.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I would think that Pence is likelier to campaign as a more traditional politician - try to run to the middle, try to run competently, not try to worsen situations, and would try to avoid meltdowns and major mistakes.
Last edited by Defiant on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm Speaking of Moscow Mitch, a new challenger has officially arrived:
Retired Marine fighter pilot Amy McGrath will face off against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell this fall, after winning a closer-than-expected primary against progressive challenger Charles Booker.

The primary proved to be a nail-biter up until the very end, with Booker and McGrath each pulling ahead at various stages of vote-counting. Booker dominated in Jefferson County, his home area around Louisville and a key area for Democrats. But ultimately, a weaker margin outside of Lexington wasn’t enough to make up McGrath’s showing in rural areas outside the two cities.

I think this is positive.

In this race, I'm going to just have to hope the 'city folk' know what they need to do here in November, and it's critical to keep the 'country folk' happy with their first choice.

This year is going to be about 'winning outside the cities'.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm I would think that Pence is likelier to campaign as a more traditional politician - try to run to the middle, try to run competently, not try to worsen situations, and would try to avoid meltdowns and major mistakes.
If he isn't willing to call it the Kung Flu, he's lost.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm Speaking of Moscow Mitch, a new challenger has officially arrived:

I think this is positive.

In this race, I'm going to just have to hope the 'city folk' know what they need to do here in November, and it's critical to keep the 'country folk' happy with their first choice.
It's probably not positive. McConnell had one bad showing in a poll in mid-May where it showed a tie. However fantasy aside he should easily walk to victory there.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don't mean to say I have real hope Kentucky will flip - but I would have less hope if the rural areas of Kentucky just had the candidate they have been pouring money and support into over the last many months, to go without a win.

Just my opinion.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm I don't mean to say I have real hope Kentucky will flip - but I would have less hope if the rural areas of Kentucky just had the candidate they have been pouring money and support into over the last many months, to go without a win.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, I agree. My sense of it is that McGrath has maybe a 10% chance to beat McConnell, whereas Booker would've had maybe a 1% chance, roughly. Probably doesn't matter in the end, but good to maximize chances wherever we can.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:28 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm I don't mean to say I have real hope Kentucky will flip - but I would have less hope if the rural areas of Kentucky just had the candidate they have been pouring money and support into over the last many months, to go without a win.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, I agree. My sense of it is that McGrath has maybe a 10% chance to beat McConnell, whereas Booker would've had maybe a 1% chance, roughly. Probably doesn't matter in the end, but good to maximize chances wherever we can.
Dang. I was hoping the numbers were more like McGrath 35%, and Booker: 15%...

Thanks for keeping me grounded.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Just my opinion.

I'm hoping they can find a way to unite their voters and message and draw more.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just my opinion.

Basically all I'm saying is that Kentucky is super Republican, and McConnell is an incumbent who doesn't have any scandals tagged to him at the moment (beyond being a garbage person). It's kind of like how Doug Jones ran in Alabama against a disgraced opponent facing credible pedophilia allegations, and he only *barely* beat him. The default assumption for this kind of race should be that McConnell will win unless there's some compelling evidence to the contrary.

Also this is in definite "running up the score territory". If McGrath is even close to beating McConnell, that means the Democrats are probably winning everywhere.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Just my opinion.

I'm hoping they can find a way to unite their voters and message and draw more.
I am very much hoping this too.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Trump's near his disapproval high in the polling averages - up to 56.4% disapproval now, compared to a high of I think 57.5% in Dec. 2017. I've been dying for the approval to drop below 40% - not there yet, but getting close (40.4%). Approval low for Trump was 36.8% in August 2017.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am
It would involve some delusional statement where he says "Despite the Democrats and the Fake News, I made America Great Again, I did it all in one term because I'm so amazing, and because I've already one I don't need a second term."
He would claim that the electoral process is hopelessly stacked against him. He won't participate in such a massive fraud!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's response to losing will be to claim that the election was rigged and that he, a bold outsider who did more than anyone else could have done to defeat the Deep State and The Swamp, was cheated by sinister forces now arrayed against Real (white) Americans.

That anti-government message and the base that he takes with him will be the core of TRUMP TV (formerly OANN), which will continue to be a threat to the Republic long after Trump chokes on his final hamburder.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

More and more

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/companies- ... r-boycott/
Chipotle, HP, Pfizer and Puma are the latest to pull their ads from Facebook
I do wonder how many US "subscribers" have quit in the last few months and if Zuckerberg made his bed. For those of you still active on FB is any of this making a difference?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heavily edited, deceptive lies from foreign quid-pro-quo ads incoming!
The previously undisclosed hunt for tapes of Biden and other recordings in Ukraine, described by several people who were involved, came as the president’s personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani, was casting a wide net for material to undermine Trump’s political rival — a scheme that ultimately helped set in motion the president’s impeachment.

“We would have loved to get the recordings, but we never did,” Giuliani said in a recent interview.

Now, with just five months to go before Election Day, that material is surfacing in Ukraine and being touted by some of the president’s backers in the United States, including his eldest son last month.

Last week, a Ukrainian lawmaker who was once affiliated with a pro-Russian political party and has met with Giuliani released 10 edited snippets of what appeared to be Biden’s official vice presidential phone calls with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in 2016. It was the second cache of recordings the lawmaker, who studied under the KGB in Moscow in the early 1990s, has released since May.

The recordings show that Biden, as he has previously said publicly, linked loan guarantees for Ukraine to the ouster of the country’s prosecutor general. The tapes do not provide evidence to back Giuliani’s long-standing accusation that Biden sought to have him fired to block an investigation of a gas company that had hired his son Hunter.

The authenticity of the audio files, which appear heavily edited, could not be verified.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 pm More and more

I do wonder how many US "subscribers" have quit in the last few months and if Zuckerberg made his bed. For those of you still active on FB is any of this making a difference?
I use an adblocker, so I don't really see most of FB's ads.

As for trump supporters, russian trolls and bots, those are still there as far as I can tell.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Senate will incorporate the annual intelligence policy legislation into the National Defense Authorization Act -- but only after stripping language from the intelligence bill that would have required presidential campaigns to report offers of foreign election help.

Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said Tuesday that Senate Republicans forced the removal of the election reporting provision as a condition to include the intelligence bill on the must-pass defense policy legislation.

Earlier this month, the Senate Intelligence Committee approved an amendment on an 8-7 vote from Warner and GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, which added a provision to the Intelligence Authorization Act requiring campaigns to notify federal authorities about offers of foreign election help.
"If my Republican colleagues want to strip this legislation out of the NDAA behind closed doors, then I'm going to offer it up as an amendment to force an up-or-down vote and put every member of this body on the record," Warner said on the Senate floor.

The amendment approved by the Intelligence Committee was an adopted version of Warner's FIRE Act, which he introduced last year. It would require all presidential campaign officials report to the FBI any contacts with foreign nationals trying either to make campaign donations or coordinate with a campaign.

Warner tried to bring up his bill on the Senate floor several times over the past year, but Republicans objected each time. When Sen. Marsha Blackburn, a Tennessee Republican, blocked the bill in June 2019, calling it a "blatant political stunt." President Donald Trump applauded her efforts on Twitter.

It's not clear if Warner's amendment will get a vote. The Senate is debating the defense authorization legislation on the floor this week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:21 pm More and more

My ad blocker works, so no. I continue to not see ads from any of those companies.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm As for trump supporters, russian trolls and bots, those are still there as far as I can tell.
I've been methodically blocking them, so I don't see many of those either. I do allow rational, courteous trump supporters to exist. One doesn't meet many.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Big bummer. Doesn't even matter too much what the ultimate ruling is - this'll suppress voting for the 2020 election either way.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let the cheating begin!
A federal appeals court reinstated significant voting restrictions in Wisconsin on Monday, handing Republicans a victory just months before the November election in one of the country’s most important battleground states.

The ruling reinstates a Republican-backed law that allows local election officials to offer only two weeks of early voting before election day. That restriction will have a severe impact on cities like Madison, which had tentative plans to offer nearly a month of early voting this fall and Milwaukee, which offered nearly six weeks of early voting ahead of the 2018 general election. Both are cities with large minority and student populations, two groups that have been traditionally disenfranchised.

Wisconsin Republicans also sought to extend the amount of time someone had to live in a district in order to vote there, saying it should be 28 days and not 10. The court also upheld strict Republican-backed limits on faxing or emailing ballots.
Here's the part I don't get
Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote that the voting restrictions were acceptable because Republicans who controlled the legislature were not discriminating against voters based on race, but based on their political affiliation. He relied on a 2019 US supreme court ruling concluding that partisan manipulation of electoral districts was acceptable.

“The changes were made because of politics,” he wrote. “This record does not support a conclusion that the legislators who voted for the contested statutes cared about race; they cared about voters’ political preferences.” He added that Democratic lawmakers could retake control of the legislature and change the laws they objected to in the future.
So, voter suppression measures are OK if they're put in place due to political affiliation? Because that could change if the other party wins an election (or something)? I don't understand that at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 pm
Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote that the voting restrictions were acceptable because Republicans who controlled the legislature were not discriminating against voters based on race, but based on their political affiliation. He relied on a 2019 US supreme court ruling concluding that partisan manipulation of electoral districts was acceptable.

“The changes were made because of politics,” he wrote. “This record does not support a conclusion that the legislators who voted for the contested statutes cared about race; they cared about voters’ political preferences.” He added that Democratic lawmakers could retake control of the legislature and change the laws they objected to in the future.
So, voter suppression measures are OK if they're put in place due to political affiliation? Because that could change if the other party wins an election (or something)? I don't understand that at all.
It was a result in search of an explanation. That bullshit is all window dressing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Here's the blueprint for a Trump "victory":

Trump actually tweeted on June 22: "Rigged 2020 election: millions of mail-in ballots will be printed by foreign countries, and others. It will be the scandal of our times!" With this, Trump has begun to lay the groundwork for the step-by-step process by which he holds on to the presidency after he has clearly lost the election:

5. The investigation is intended to tick down the clock toward December 14, the deadline when each state's Electoral College electors must be appointed. This is the very issue that the Supreme Court harped on in Bush v. Gore in ruling that the election process had to be brought to a close, thus forbidding the further counting of Florida ballots.
6. All four swing states have Republican control of both their upper and lower houses of their state legislatures. Those state legislatures refuse to allow any Electoral College slate to be certified until the "national security" investigation is complete.
7. The Democrats will have begun a legal action to certify the results in those four states, and the appointment of the Biden slate of electors, arguing that Trump has manufactured a national security emergency in order to create the ensuing chaos.
8. The issue goes up to the Supreme Court, which unlike the 2000 election does not decide the election in favor of the Republicans. However, it indicates again that the December 14 Electoral College deadline must be met; that the president's national security powers legally authorize him to investigate potential foreign country intrusion into the national election; and if no Electoral College slate can be certified by any state by December 14, the Electoral College must meet anyway and cast its votes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

if that happened it'd be civil war 2. The nation is in no mood for more Trump. If it is only dirty tricks that keep him then there will be widespread unrest. We saw a glimpse of that mood just weeks ago.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 am if that happened it'd be civil war 2. The nation is in no mood for more Trump. If it is only dirty tricks that keep him then there will be widespread unrest. We saw a glimpse of that mood just weeks ago.
Sadly I agree. Sadly because I believe he will still try it and doesn't give a shit if it results in the complete destruction of our nation.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still not convinced he's going to pull out all the stops to earn the win. I'd have believed it pre-pandemic. I think he's in over his head now and wants out.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just in case you weren’t thrilled with Trump or Biden, you now have a third option:

Spoiler:
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States Image! #2020VISION
Black Lives Matter