[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Punisher

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 am
Punisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:44 pm She was the worst of the three to paint, by far, and I'm the least happy with her.
That was more a comment on the card picture and not a comment on your paint job. I think it came out nice. The face could use show more detail, but I still struggle painting flesh and almost never can get face details myself.
I repainted the face twice. The problems with her are that A) there is very little sculpted detail in the face, whether due to the sculpt or the plastic, and B) here skin is so damned pale that the color is very hard to work with while staying with flesh tones.
I know practically nothing about Conan but I'm wondering if she's not supposed to have normal flesh tones. Maybe she isn't pale, she is actually white.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:18 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:01 am
Punisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:44 pm She was the worst of the three to paint, by far, and I'm the least happy with her.
That was more a comment on the card picture and not a comment on your paint job. I think it came out nice. The face could use show more detail, but I still struggle painting flesh and almost never can get face details myself.
I repainted the face twice. The problems with her are that A) there is very little sculpted detail in the face, whether due to the sculpt or the plastic, and B) here skin is so damned pale that the color is very hard to work with while staying with flesh tones.
I know practically nothing about Conan but I'm wondering if she's not supposed to have normal flesh tones. Maybe she isn't pale, she is actually white.
In the words of Howard:
""Belît sprang before the blacks, beating down their spears. She turned toward Conan, her bosom heaving, her eyes flashing. Fierce fingers of wonder caught at his heart. She was slender, yet formed like a goddess: at once lithe and voluptuous. Her only garment was a broad silken girdle. Her white ivory limbs and the ivory globes of her breasts drove a beat of fierce passion through the Cimmerian's pulse, even in the panting fury of battle. Her rich black hair, black as a Stygian night, fell in rippling burnished clusters down her supple back. Her dark eyes burned on the Cimmerian."
"She was untamed as a desert wind, supple and dangerous as a she-panther. She came close to him, heedless of his great blade, dripping with blood of her warriors. Her supple thigh brushed against it, so close she came to the tall warrior. Her red lips parted as she stared up into his somber menacing eyes." -- "Queen of the Black Coast" "
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey BH (or anyone else for that matter...), have you ever used Scale75 metallics with an airbrush? I have some terrain I would really like to airbrush but never done metallic with it before.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:46 pm Hey BH (or anyone else for that matter...), have you ever used Scale75 metallics with an airbrush? I have some terrain I would really like to airbrush but never done metallic with it before.
I have not tried them personally, but I know it has been done. I did find this which may be of some use.

Learning my airbrush has become a high priority to me now that I'm no longer painting for RPGs. I've had the thing for years, but mostly only use it for priming, and that's a waste.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I decided to prime all of the pieces for Call to Arms today as well as the AoS Sequitor pieces. I already removed and built one of the Sequitor figures in order to see how the CA glue worked then realized I should have primed all the pieces while they were still on the sprue but figured I would do all the others. I have a can of Army Painter matte white and a can of matte black. I have only used the spray on primer once before on a couple of board game pieces since the majority of the few figures I have painted so far were all pre-primed. The last time I used the matte white and it came out okay but was sort of spotty rather than smooth but I figured I just needed to more practice and I still had decent coverage. Today I tried the matte black on the Sequitors and on one set of the Call to Arms figures and it worked really well. I got excellent coverage and the details were not obscured in the slightest. The other two sets from Call to arms I used the matte white since one set had lots of skeletons and the other I planned to use brighter colors. Holy cow, but it came out terrible. The pieces are all grainy and super chalky to the point that just handling the sprues left a ton of white grit on my hands. I used the same technique for both cans, same distance, same light sprays back and forth in short bursts. I just finished rinsing off the white pieces since there was no way I could apply paint to them with all that grit, with no scrubbing just running the under the water and light rubbing a good portion of the paint actually came off and I can see the original color of the pieces underneath on a number of the pieces. Now I am trying to decide if I should A) try and soak them in Simple Green and start over, B) just try re-priming with the black primer, C) re-prime using the white again or D) just paint them as is and see what happens. Going to grab a couple of the plastic army men I bought and try using the white primer on them tomorrow to experiment, really wish I had done that first but the black primer worked perfectly. Humidity here was over 80% today, I read that could affect things but that doesn't seem all that high. May have to start using brush on primer or invest in an airbrush.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Army Painter primers can leave a rough chalky finish in high temps and humidity. They have a really small nozzle and while that’s great for the finish it can cause the paint to dry before it hits the figure. I just did some terrain in skeleton bone and had similar results, but not to the point that the paint chipped off like yours.

I would start over if I were you. Simple green overnight and scrub it away. And if you can get your hands on it, try Vallejo. Or an airbrush.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

Also, you didn’t mention washing your figures before priming. Always wash plastic and resin figures to get rid of mold release agents. Heck, I was metal minis too. Really helps with primer adhesion.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for the reply Hentzau. Yep, I gave everything a good rinse before I primed them. I didn't give them as good a scrub as usual because I didn't want to chance breaking anything since it was all still on the sprue and the black worked really well. Also the white paint didn't really chip off some much as it just rinsed off the pieces because it wasn't adhered, it was just grit sitting on the plastic. Normally if this was a figure I would just drop it in a jar of simple green but all of the pieces are still connected to the sprue so my plan is to place them in a large ziplock bag with enough simple green to cover everything laying flat.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm Army Painter primers can leave a rough chalky finish in high temps and humidity. They have a really small nozzle and while that’s great for the finish it can cause the paint to dry before it hits the figure. I just did some terrain in skeleton bone and had similar results, but not to the point that the paint chipped off like yours.

I would start over if I were you. Simple green overnight and scrub it away. And if you can get your hands on it, try Vallejo. Or an airbrush. Image
That's my experience, too. The higher the quality of spray paint (and spray varnish), the more you have to pay attention to the recommended temperature and humidity. It's why I don't spray much anymore. Indiana has about four months out of the year that aren't too hot, too cold, or too wet.

One note: Priming should not result in a solid, heavy coat of paint. It doesn't even need to give 100% coverage. It just needs to give the paint something to stick to. The exception being if you're using contrast paints.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 am
hentzau wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 pm Army Painter primers can leave a rough chalky finish in high temps and humidity. They have a really small nozzle and while that’s great for the finish it can cause the paint to dry before it hits the figure. I just did some terrain in skeleton bone and had similar results, but not to the point that the paint chipped off like yours.

I would start over if I were you. Simple green overnight and scrub it away. And if you can get your hands on it, try Vallejo. Or an airbrush. Image
That's my experience, too. The higher the quality of spray paint (and spray varnish), the more you have to pay attention to the recommended temperature and humidity. It's why I don't spray much anymore. Indiana has about four months out of the year that aren't too hot, too cold, or too wet.

One note: Priming should not result in a solid, heavy coat of paint. It doesn't even need to give 100% coverage. It just needs to give the paint something to stick to. The exception being if you're using contrast paints.
If you don't spray, what do you use?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

EzeKieL wrote:

I’ve used army painter brush on primer to good effect.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

EzeKieL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:42 am

Depends on how many pieces I'm priming. If it is one or two, I'll brush prime. If it is a bunch, I'll airbrush prime. I use Badger Stynlrez for both. I do still have Army Painter primers around, but only for when the weather is just right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I primed my call to arms figs this week with the contrast wraithbone primer with no issues. I was also surprised to see the drying time listed on the can before you can start painting is 15 minutes. :shock:

I finished the undead figures yesterday. I used contrast paints for those and it wasn't too tough, so I'll end up probably using them for everything. I've decided that I just don't have the patience, the eyes and steady enough hands to compete with most folks, so I'm just going for table top ready. It's still better than just plopping down unpainted figs.

Here's what some of the stormcloak figures look like before I painted them.

And here's how one of them looks after I finished yesterday.

Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh no!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if I should hit 'em with a highlight brush?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have had really good luck with the GW contrast primers. I've used them in all kinds of weather.

Hep, did you wash your figures before priming?
Tao

Post by Tao »

That's pretty good, I like that you kept the color scheme simple yet vibrant and it has a decent amount of detail. Did you have Mr. Hand helping as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 am I have had really good luck with the GW contrast primers. I've used them in all kinds of weather.

I did not. But in all fairness, I really did have no issues with priming, and joking aside, I'm pretty happy with the results I got on my undead figs at least.

But I will make sure I wash the next batch. I always do that with resin and metal figs, but I don't remember ever doing it with plastic, to be honest. I will say that I've painted a ton of Malifaux figs over the years that were hard plastic that I never washed prior to priming, and I've never had an issue with any of them.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 am
hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 am I have had really good luck with the GW contrast primers. I've used them in all kinds of weather.

I did not. But in all fairness, I really did have no issues with priming, and joking aside, I'm pretty happy with the results I got on my undead figs at least.

But I will make sure I wash the next batch. I always do that with resin and metal figs, but I don't remember ever doing it with plastic, to be honest. I will say that I've painted a ton of Malifaux figs over the years that were hard plastic that I never washed prior to priming, and I've never had an issue with any of them.
When are you doing your Cthulu mini's? We need extra color as they eat our investigators faces off.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That actually needs to go on my list now that contrast paints have proven to cut down drastically on paint times. I'll try to get a bunch done before our annual holiday game!
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 am I have had really good luck with the GW contrast primers.
What's the difference between contrast primer and regular primer? I've used contrast paints once, on regular primer, and it seems to work ok.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Honestly, nothing, other than the are really fine primers that seem to cover a bit better then other primers I've used. And based on their shades (an off white and a very light grey) you will get slight color variations using contrast paints. Because of the transparency of the contrast paints, the base primer coat will have an effect on the final color you get.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Man. These Elder Scrolls figs are nice, but be careful! Drop that and your Dragonborn is faceless.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a fus ro dah joke in there somewhere, but I can't make it work.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I thought that was a tick at first...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Some of the assembly decisions for the figures in elder scrolls are idiotic. Those faces (there are more than one like that) being one of the dumbest.

Also, I just started painting my imperial faction figs this afternoon and realized I was wrong about having no issues with the primer I used. Three of them were so thick in places you couldn’t even make out the detail with my magnifying glasses. I’m soaking them in simple green tonight. Hopefully that will strip it off and I can start fresh Saturday on them.
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

This brings up a question I’ve had... do you guys find that building and painting is better or painting, building, then touching up? I’m thinking of the 2nd one (once I get to the minis I have to build) because it seems easier to get to the various details.
What do you guys think?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I generally build and paint, as it's easier to get smooth colors over seams, but I've seen plenty of pros who paint and then assemble. It also depends on the joins. If it's a bare arm going into a bare chest, I prefer to assemble first so I can pin it and gap-fill. But there's something to be said for painting first when the gap coincides with a natural gap on the miniature (like a head going into power armor.)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I almost always build, paint and varnish. I've made some exceptions with these elder scroll figs. Like for the dragonborn, I'm going to wait to attach her shield and scabbard until after painting.

Remember, if you do go down the paint then build route, and you're using polystyrene cement, it can a) wreck paint jobs and b) get a bad bond if it doesn't dissolve enough paint. If you go that route, either scrape the paint off of the point of the join, or use CA glue.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's a good idea to scrape the bond regardless, as you risk gluing the paint to the paint rather than the underlying material.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Skeletons and Duregar from TES:CtA. About 5 hours paint time. Another couple hours assembly time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that they're draugr rather than duergar. ;)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah. Funny that my spell check knew Duregar and corrected to it. Must have been in a D&D discussion.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:53 am Yeah. Funny that my spell check knew Duregar and corrected to it. Must have been in a D&D discussion.
Although the D&D version is duergar rather than duregar, pronounced 'dware-gar'.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, two of my imperial legion soldiers are a loss. They look like gooey messes in most areas as the primer went on way too thick. It obviously has to do with when I primed them, as the rest of my figs are perfectly fine. A third that I primed at the same time is on the edge, but I think I’ll keep it and just use it for practice.

I ordered a replacement set of imperial though. Thankfully this isn’t a terribly expensive company.

Lesson learned...don’t prime in high humidity or early in the morning (which was probably the cause of the higher humidity that day).
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Could you save them with a soak in simple green?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The paint comes off in simple green with no problems, but the primer is so thick and it's so bonded that 3 days of soaking did not even dent it. Ah well, they're cheap. I'll just have some extra imperial figs for games. If anyone wants a Heldvar fig you're welcome to it. I don't think you can have extra heroes in a game.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really enjoying painting these figs.