Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Im kinda looking a gift horse in the mouth here but I emailed the company I got that mower part from yesterday asking what to do and explaining what happened. Today they or Walmart one simply issued me a total refund. Said there was no need to even send the part back and to have a Happy 4th. Wow. I can understand not wanting a broken part back but not even a pic to prove it? I mean cool and all I guess. Just strange. Already have my refund in bank. But I still need that part. Ill try to find it from some other place. Maybe I should buy a genuine MTD OEM replacement instead of generic offbrand. As I recall though I went this route due to it being not quite $20 and the OEM is over $30.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am Local lawyer commercial

"Fell in the parking lot at work so I called The Insiders"

Let get this straight..your fat clumsy ass tripped and fell and instead of getting up and going home you called some lawyers and sued your company? HAHAHAHAHa They should have laughed you out of court then fired your stupid ass. Yet another problem with this country.
Trade-offs. The ability to sue someone because we're clumsy is part of the same ability that allows us to sue someone for carelessly creating/ignoring a danger that results in us getting hurt. The thing to remember is that 'sue' isn't the same as 'win.' And while those lawyers are trolling for anyone and everyone with a grievance to come in, they're only going to take the cases that actually have merit (IE - have a chance of winning and returning their investment.) And the judges (should) sort out the rest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New world record in hot dog eating.
Spoiler:
Joey Chestnut ate 75 hotdogs with buns in 10 minutes! FFS. On the womens side Miki Sudo ate 48.5 in 10 minutes!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, I found out that what sounded like some knocking/scratching in the wall of the master bedroom of my condo is actually some kind of wasp or bee-like flying critter hive (caught some really small ones flying in/out this morning under the siding outside the unit). At least I caught it early and it should be easy to treat, and hopefully it's the HOA's responsibility and not mine, but I don't really want to mess with this one myself!
Hodor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm New world record in hot dog eating.
Spoiler:
Joey Chestnut ate 75 hotdogs with buns in 10 minutes! FFS. On the womens side Miki Sudo ate 48.5 in 10 minutes!
This year's results shouldn't count! They got to compete indoors, in air conditioning, instead of standing in the broiling Coney Island sun.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

trouble getting to sleep last night due to explosions, and started work at 6:30 am, and my ass is tired. All my parts are tired, and my hair smells like gunpowder smoke.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know what the hell this site is (https://www.dave.directory/), but I'm legitimately pissed I can't join. All names matter!

In other news, I just installed the new window air conditioner, and I'm ground-kissingly thankful. It's reaching 41c/106f w/ humidex tomorrow, and I'm Canadian; I can't handle that shit. The last A/C unit came down with a case of mildew, and I don't really have a place to clean it properly since we're in an apartment. I almost broke down and just put it back in after the last week's heat, but Mrs. Nym had a months-long respiratory illness last year that I think may have been caused or at least exacerbated by the developing mold situation. Don't want to chance it when it may put her (or both of us) at additional risk were we to come down with covid.

The cats have also been playing dead on the comparatively cool floor. Hopefully this revives them.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm It's reaching 41c/106f w/ humidex tomorrow, and I'm Canadian; I can't handle that shit.
Ugh, How is it so hot that far north? We've been nearly 100F 3?C but live in a temperate swamp and fuck this shit. I wanted to do lawn care over the long weekend but this year my allergies are also through the roof nearly every day. The idea of the heat and the humidity and the allergies... Well, my neighbors aren't thrilled with me.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This is unseasonable. We sometimes get a couple weeks of this a year... not every year. Two years ago was hot. So was 2010. Mind you, I'm near Toronto so I'm really only Canadian-lite. But it's sure as hell hot and humid enough for me. I remember those 46/115 days in NC when I lived there for a few years as a kid... that was unbearable.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been in that range here for the past two weeks. Michelle works a physical job, and she works it outdoors. The heat exhaustion has really been doing a number on her.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You'd think thsi time of year places would have a large stock of water hoses. Not the case. 2 Walmarts, a Dollar General and an Ace were all out. I ended up having to buy 2 cheapo looking ones that cost more than their appearance at another DG store.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rick James would say my new super crappy water hose is a "very kinky hose" It works so thats all I care about....though all the kinks are damn annoying. Apologies to the band The Kinks.

But the water sprayer trigger thingy is broke. Who would have thought that laying on the front porch in the wind and the rain for 9 years would hurt it?

Also my mower part I got was the wrong fit. So back it goes and I try a 3rd....or is it 4th...time to fix this beast.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I spend $40+S&H for an evaporative cooler... Which is basically a USB fan with a water tank and a filter so the fan blows across the filter and take the water vapor with it. Cooler than a fan by itself, and water tank lasts hours. My room gets unbearable at noonish, even with two fans blowing (a window fan and a tower fan). But I don't have AC, and that's expected.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I lived in California hardly anybody had air conditioners. It wasn't until I moved to New Orleans in '77 that I had an air conditioner.
California had low humidity. New Orleans did not.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:40 am When I lived in California hardly anybody had air conditioners. It wasn't until I moved to New Orleans in '77 that I had an air conditioner.
My parents bought a used window mounted unit to mitigate my asthma episodes that were short of full on attacks in the early 80s. It worked wonders for me. I would literally breathe in the filtered cool air on bad summer allergy days for relief. I have lived with AC/Central air ever since. This is worth noting because my allergies are hitting hard this summer. Now that you mention it, I should probably change my furnace filter to see if that takes some of the bite off.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:40 am When I lived in California hardly anybody had air conditioners. It wasn't until I moved to New Orleans in '77 that I had an air conditioner.
The years I lived with my grandmother were air conditioner free. She did not believe in them, and would simply have the windows open if it wasn't raining. This was in Indiana, which isn't friendly to AC deniers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:53 am
The years I lived with my grandmother were air conditioner free. She did not believe in them, and would simply have the windows open if it wasn't raining. This was in Indiana, which isn't friendly to AC deniers.
My grandmother mostly raised me and was the same. She would never use it. She was always cold but as a kid I was always hot. One night in summer I was sweating and could not sleep so I snuck downstairs and turned the wall ac on and went to sleep on the couch with it blowing on me. Wasn't 30 min later she woke me up turning it off fussing at me.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

couple years back we had no AC and it turned hot that summer, so I rushed out one night and got a '"portable" ac unit, that still needed a window to vent though. it was fantastic for the living area. somewhat noisy, but that was preferable to death from heat stroke. I just walked into the store at like 9:45 pm, and bought whatever was on sale, we were that desperate. But it turned out OK.

our fat cat would lay on her back in front of it like an otter and sleep there.

if you have a sliding window, its fantastic. if you have a swinging window, then you need an adapter, you poor schmuck.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have a sliding window in my bedroom and the main AC doesn't do much back here. Enter a floor unit with an exhaust line to the outside. I added turbo mode with an in-line exhaust fan - problem solved.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well you learn something new every day. That last part I bought for the mower was too small. It was a 1" part and my mower needs a 2" part. BUT both parts are listed as the same part number. So seems a toss up what Ill get when I order. Stupid ass system. Ive looked for that part and bought the wrong part for 2 weeks now. My grass is HIiiiigh. It will be at least a week before a part I order today will arrive.....and then it may not be the right one. No one here sells it in store...Walmart, Ace, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, all nada.

And the kicker is people have it at different prices and some dont post pics so I cant even guess at it. $15 - $30.

Oh and Checkers was out or normal burger patties so no Checkburger with cheese...had to get a more expensive Cheeseburger....was $2 more. Figures. Good gimmick..."Sry its the higher priced or nothing special of the day"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ringo Star is 80.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1024596/
Ringo Starr was hoping to have a big party for his 80th birthday on July 7th, but the pandemic is keeping him away from his friends and loved ones. Instead, he’s throwing Ringo’s Big Birthday Show, a virtual charity concert that will hit YouTube at 8 p.m. EST July 7th, and he also recorded an episode of the Rolling Stone Interview: Special Edition video series. Below are some highlights from the wide-ranging conversation; for the full interview, press play above.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw an interesting video where Ringo said a lot of people thought he was a genius, but he was just playing left handed on a right handed set.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ever since the Beatles came out I've known Ringo's birthday. A friend of mines sister had a crush on him.
Don't know the other Beatles birthdays tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife's favorite Beatle. He always seemed a very non ego down to Earth guy. Just a normal guy who plays drums and had a hot wife. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remember when that F1 race car had 6 wheels? I do I do! I loved that Tyrrell P34 back in the 70s. I remember it because I had a AFX slot track car just like it. I thought it was really cool. Wish I still had it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ordered my mower part yesterday and it shipped just a hour or so after I ordered it. Its coming from Ohio to TN. Theres only 1 state between me and it. And here is the arrive date....July 16 - July 20
. Man that is one slow driver. Maybe the delivery was by bicycle. I didn't check. The USPS must have some way of knowing stuff and just throw it into a bin labeled dont deliver for over a week.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How tall is you grass now?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm How tall is you grass now?
Parts...the johnson grass that got mixed in....it tall as my knees or taller. It stormed yesterday so had my big dog inside and had to walk him around midnight and my pants were wet above the knee. If I ever get the thing repaired again Ill have to set it high as I can and mow then wait a few days for it to dry out nearer to the ground and then remow lower.

If theres a 2nd stimulus Im buying a used riding mower. Hell with this lol.

EDIT: Ill try to get a pic in a few.

Here we go. I was going to sit my chihuahua out there but you wouldn't be able to see him and he might get snake bit. It has a white'ish haze to it because my phone fogged up going from AC to burning heat.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You do understand that residential push mowers cannot handle grass that tall, right? I have a lawn tractor and I wouldn't be able to drive it through knee-high grass and expect it to work.

You need to get that grass level down manually at this point. Weed wacker with a beaver blade ($300+) or a sling blade ($20, mmmhmmm). Both are going to suck (don't delude yourself into thinking the gas weed wacker is going to be easy).

What time is it?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What time is it?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pmYou do understand that residential push mowers cannot handle grass that tall, right? I have a lawn tractor and I wouldn't be able to drive it through knee-high grass and expect it to work.
The last time I had to bring a gas-powered push mower through a field as high as my thigh, I tipped it back 45º and pushed it through with the blades high and exposed. With nothing to get the blades bound up on, it just chopped everything down like a giant weed whacker. Probably not the safest thing for anyone in front of me (it was an empty field) but it did the trick and I could then go back after I cleaned it up and do a real mowing.

It's either that or set it on fire - or maybe get a scythe. I can't see a weed whacker being able to easily chew through a whole lawn 2.5 feet tall.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had to weed eat it before when the mower was broke. A few times actually.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 pm What time is it?
It's not late - it's early.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a DR mower for grass that high.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I angle the mower up maybe 20 degrees and mow slowly. :oops:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aw I loved Spin Doctors in the 90s.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:21 pm Aw I loved Spin Doctors in the 90s.
I've mentioned the story before, but I saw them perform on a first date with someone. When the Spin Doctors played their encore a mosh pit (!) broke out next to where were were standing and the band actually stopped the show. The bassist commented how ridiculous it was to mosh to Two Princes and all the dudes should instead just find a girl and dance. Top 10 memory for me. I don't care what anyone says, they're a (+) from the 90s for me. Some days I wonder about the the girl I was on a date with at the time and if she thinks about that show. Crazy days.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm
I've mentioned the story before, but I saw them perform on a first date with someone. When the Spin Doctors played their encore a mosh pit (!) broke out next to where were were standing and the band actually stopped the show. The bassist commented how ridiculous it was to mosh to Two Princes and all the dudes should instead just find a girl and dance. Top 10 memory for me. I don't care what anyone says, they're a (+) from the 90s for me. Some days I wonder about the the girl I was on a date with at the time and if she thinks about that show. Crazy days.
the early 90s, when slamdancing was 'this new thing' and the kids had to do it at every concert (saw it happen any number of inappropriate times... Belly, Violent Femmes, They Might Be Giants...)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm
the early 90s, when slamdancing was 'this new thing' and the kids had to do it at every concert (saw it happen any number of inappropriate times... Belly, Violent Femmes, They Might Be Giants...)
best memory of them is me and my wife heading downtown to a Star Trek convention and them playing on the radio. Great times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is strange. I have a large can of soup. It says it has 140 cal per serving and there are 2 serving in it. But it also list 310 cal for the container. Wait....140+140=280. So where is the 310 coming from? Madness and magic.