It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Stargirl is...surprisingly good. I was prepared to dislike it because of its connection to CW, but it seems to be another decent entry into the DC Universe lineup.
I’m enjoying the hell out of it. It’s pretty weird having the JSA running around in 2010, but I’m trying to roll with it.

BTW...huge JSA fan here, so I am enjoying the idea of her rebooting the JSA.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The story just gets better and better. I'm honestly surprised at how much I'm enjoying Stargirl. The main mystery is engrossing and interesting. The characters aren't all two dimensional, angsty teen archetypes, and S.T.R.I.P.E.S. is just pure fun. And who would have thought that Luke Wilson would fit so perfectly into this show.

Although I'm not convinced that the actor portraying his 14 or 15 year old son on the show isn't actually in his mid 40s. It's just the way he acts, but man he seems older than that...by a lot.

But for me, seeing a live action Dr. Fate was the real selling point. I'd love to see them bring him back (I mean, Dr. Fate IS one of the most powerful characters in all of DC). And while they're at it, throw in Spectre.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of the best shows on tv. Can’t wait!

Although it is worrisome that they seem to be going out of their way to brand it as an HBO Max show. I’d hate for DC Universe to go belly up.
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I don't have DC universe, but I think Doom Patrol is the only DCU series on the service.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I've read (and this is based on their claims, so take it with a grain of kryptonite), they are putting it on both networks in order to justify the much higher budget involved in making it.

The other iffy thing they did was to put a bunch of DC movies on HBO Max, then yank pretty much all of them after 30 days, leaving them on Universe. And HBO Max is getting a bunch of other DC series that will be exclusive (at least from what I've read), including Green Lantern and Justice League Dark. Given that DCU was supposed to be the place to go for all things DC, I'm not sure what they are planning anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, that upcoming Ezra Miller Flash movie. Guess who may appear as Batman?
Spoiler:
Michael Keaton. Not what I was expecting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doom Patrol season 2 is off to another great start. :wub:
Spoiler:
Fraser continues to knock it out of the park on the strength of his voice acting alone. I had to laugh out loud at his showing up to movie night wearing a rat pelt and headdress to mock Niles.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Hole filled."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:13 am "Hole filled, asshole."
FTFY

:lol:

His delivery is just priceless on almost anything he says.

Also, the creepy factor on Dorothy's "friends" is great. The show is able to switch tones without missing a beat (most of the time). I don't know of many shows that can do that so well. I have to wonder if Legion (the only show that I can think of that even comes close to Doom Patrol in terms of quality of writing and originality...although Preacher might be in the running) was a big influence on the makers.

Tonight I'm ordering a Lou Malnati's deep dish and binging the other two episodes that are up now.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doom Patrol season 2 premier review

9 out of 10 amazing

I dont watch this but Im glad Fraser is back. He is a great actor and one of me and my late wife's favorites ever.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It really is a unique and original gem.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doom Patrol season 2 episode 4. I laughed quite a bit. The Sex Men. Paranormal Sexual Event. Emission Control Center. “Think of potatoes.” They just keep topping themselves.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was just announced that as of season 2, Stargirl will be moving to the CW. That's not a positive given how effects-heavy Stargirl is, and how much the CW likes to cut budgets. And they tend to cut them more and more as seasons go by. Especially given that they just introduced a high-budget character (Justin the janitor)...
Spoiler:
...aka Sir Justin, aka Shining Knight, who comes complete with a flying horse...
...and have been teasing Alan Scott (or some other Green Lantern, which the CW has been more or less forbidden from touching.)

With Doom Patrol airing on HBO Max, multiple DC films appearing on Max, Green Lantern being a Max exclusive, and now this, I think we're seeing the end of DC Universe, at least as a core streaming service. I could see them cutting the price and keeping it around for the comics and occasional specials, or maybe as a source for the various animated DC shows.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have a feeling its days are numbered. At this point, the best I can hope for is that they'll keep the comic archive online. That's the main draw for me. I would love to see the original video content folded into HBO Max or something though. Some of it is very, very good (Young Justice, Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn) and deserves to live on.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
“Batwoman” has found its new series lead, with Javicia Leslie set to step into the cape and cowl for the show’s upcoming second season on The CW.

“I am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this groundbreaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community,” Leslie said.

Leslie will portray a new character on the show named Ryan Wilder. She is described as likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane (previously played by Ruby Rose), the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. She is an out lesbian, athletic, raw, passionate, fallible, and very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.
Prior to joining “Batwoman,” Leslie starred on the CBS series “God Friended Me,” which aired for two seasons. That show was also produced by Warner Bros. Television and Berlanti Productions. She also starred in the BET series “The Family Business” and the film “Always a Bridesmaid.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm torn. I have no objection to a black Batwoman. Multiple people have been Batman (Bruce, Jean-aul Valleyl, Dick Grayson, Jim Gordon, probably others), and rumor is that there is supposed to be a black Batman in the comics soon (I'm guessing Duke Thomas, although it could be Batwing (real name redacted.) )

What I'm cautious about is that the Arrowverse shows have developed a reputation for approaching social issues in a particularly ham-fisted way. It made Supergirl watch like the cheesiest after school specials. I wished they'd shut up, and I'm someone who agrees with their ideas. It wasn't well done at all. I'm worried that they're bringing in a black lesbian just to give themselves a vehicle for more of the same.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that they don't address social issues, just that they don't undermine the whole show to awkwardly force them. Again, Supergirl. Although to be fair, they did a much better job of it with Black Lightning (which also features a black lesbian superhero as a main character.) The social issues were central to the show and the story, not awkwardly manufactured just so that a main character could monologue like they were reading a bad brochure.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Wow a African-American woman with a drug dealing past living on the streets. I think Black Lightning still sets the standard for well written black characters. But since the season hasn’t aired yet there’s a chance they might not screw it up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:44 pm Doom Patrol season 2 episode 4. I laughed quite a bit. The Sex Men. Paranormal Sexual Event. Emission Control Center. “Think of potatoes.” They just keep topping themselves.
I just watched this episode and even though I’ve watched many shows that tend toward the absurd I wasn’t really expecting The Sex Men...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Re: tonight

Damn Patrol
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watch it on Friday nights, so I’m hoping that’s a good damn and not a bad damn.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 pm I watch it on Friday nights, so I’m hoping that’s a good damn and not a bad damn.
That's a god damn.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah...wow. That was a bit frightening.

Also, the Larry Trainor arc is just incredibly poignant. Kudos to the writers for handling it with such quiet dignity.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:40 am

With Doom Patrol airing on HBO Max, multiple DC films appearing on Max, Green Lantern being a Max exclusive, and now this, I think we're seeing the end of DC Universe, at least as a core streaming service. I could see them cutting the price and keeping it around for the comics and occasional specials, or maybe as a source for the various animated DC shows.
Sometime in the past few weeks DC Universe removed the annual subscription option without fanfare. DC's virtual convention is a month from now (August 22nd), and I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:cry:

All I can hope for now is that the comic archive doesn't disappear. That's the bigger draw for me these days.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, that was a hell of an ending to Season 2 of Doom Patrol.
Spoiler:
There better be a season 3.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

COVID Patrol.

They, like so many other shows, had to condense their finale. There were supposed to be more episodes.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 pm COVID Patrol.

They, like so many other shows, had to condense their finale. There were supposed to be more episodes.
Ah. I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that felt like the end of the episode BEFORE the final episode of the season. I understand the COVID-19 issue, but damn.
Spoiler:
However, finding out that cliff’s childhood imaginary friend was a foul mouthed, kung fu fighting Jesus was almost worth the annoyance of a cliffhanger season ender.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So Stargirl really upped the fan service in the season finale.
Spoiler:
We get a Haunted Tank and an Unknown Soldier reference with the movie posters/marquee at the theater, as well as a glimpse of Shade, one of my favorite villains. I hope they go with the 90s Starman version of Shade, although I doubt it. But I am glad they’re obviously making him the main villain for season 2. I can’t see many others being able to share the stage with him.

Oh, and Eclipso? Wow, was not expecting that.

I could have done without that god awful Solomon Grundy CGI though.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't worry, I'm sure The CW will cut down on all that pesky CG.

In other news, a "majority" of DC Universe staff (along with about a third of the comics staff) were laid off today.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

So is it still a good time to be a DC fan?

Seriously though, is Stargirl that different on DCU? I have the CW version on the DVR, but it sounds like it'll come to HBO Max eventually.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:19 am So is it still a good time to be a DC fan?

Seriously though, is Stargirl that different on DCU? I have the CW version on the DVR, but it sounds like it'll come to HBO Max eventually.
No, they're the same. The difference is that it is currently a DCU show with a DCU budget and oversight. Starting with season 2, it'll be a CW show with everything that means.

And yes, it's a good time to be a comics fan in general. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 am Don't worry, I'm sure The CW will cut down on all that pesky CG.

In other news, a "majority" of DC Universe staff (along with about a third of the comics staff) were laid off today.
At this point, I just want the online comic library to stay up. I'm resigned to the belief that I'll have to subscribe to hbo max. Well...REMAIN a subscriber, that is. I took advantage of the 4.99 a month deal for 6 months that they recently offered dc universe subscribers.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Insiders also say the majority of the staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, a move that had been widely expected as WarnerMedia shifts its focus to new streaming service HBO Max.

"DC Universe was DOA as soon as the AT&T merger happened,” said one source.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Confirmed that DC Universe is going comics-only, with all of the original content migrating to HBO Max. No date given. I hope they also migrate the older DC content, like the Animated Universe and the various live action series.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched the first episode of Doom Patrol this weekend. That was... peculiar.

I'll be watching more, but since it isn't a thing my wife would watch it will be slow going.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 pm Confirmed that DC Universe is going comics-only, with all of the original content migrating to HBO Max. No date given. I hope they also migrate the older DC content, like the Animated Universe and the various live action series.
That's the best case scenario for me. And I can't imagine they'd not fold all existing shows and film into HBO Max. I'll probably drop Disney for this when the time comes.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been pondering a watch-through of the whole Animated Universe. It'll take quite a while, and I'd hate to see it disappear halfway through.

Sadly, once there isn't a dedicated DC streaming service, there will be less motivation to create DC-based programming. Then again, it was always a thin basis for a streaming service. At least with the stuff that's publicly popular (I'd have loved to see a Question series - dark, noir, gritty, street-level.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Heck yeah, I'd love a series based on The Question

Of course, I'd also like one for Creeper too.
Covfefe!