Mafia 3 officially released, go at it!!!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Mafia 3 officially released, go at it!!!

Post by gbasden »

I just finished this up and I really enjoyed it. I didn't complete all the optional missions, but the main story was just great. I loved the final confrontation scene. Man, I wish there were more games out there like this. While it definitely could have been tightened up, the sheer variety of missions and the different environments kept me really engaged. The amusement park level and the riverboat in particular were some of my favorites.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I also finished this up a little bit ago and what a fun ride it was. Was pretty impressed with the final confrontation with Sal Marcano as well because of all the things it wasn't in your typical final "boss" encounter. Leaving it a bit vague regarding the fight beforehand with Giorgi, I thought the sports car on display was a nice touch and I put it to good use...

After the final meeting at the church where I had to decide my future I just started running to my destination. Sympathy For The Devil was playing in the background and it just fit the mood as I was running down the street and I really put myself into the character of Lincoln Clay thinking about all the bloodshed, my decisions, what I accomplished. Was running through some of the nicer "white" parts of town and was met with some remarks or someone spitting on the ground. Every time that happened I just turned around and knocked their ass on the ground, man or woman didn't matter a bit to me. Just kept running towards my destiny.

Great game and glad I stuck with it to the end!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

$iljanus wrote:Great game and glad I stuck with it to the end!
Did you sit through the credits and see the "extra" cutscene?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Is there any appreciable difference between the console versions of this game?
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

jztemple2 wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Great game and glad I stuck with it to the end!
Did you sit through the credits and see the "extra" cutscene?
Yes I did. I'd be quite happy playing a game based on the adventures of our favorite spook in the future.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Been looking at this and Watchdogs 2....which would y'all suggest?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

WYBaugh wrote:Been looking at this and Watchdogs 2....which would y'all suggest?
Both! :D

I'd give the edge to WD2 for the better gameplay, as the gameplay in M3 does get repetitive, however M3 does have a better story.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Play the entire first act for free

Then if you like it and buy the game you can keep using that start to continue on with the game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Probably to coincide with the DLC release. I was going to investigate that but decided I wasn't going to reinstall so no need to look. I'm sure it's a very nice DLC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:Probably to coincide with the DLC release. I was going to investigate that but decided I wasn't going to reinstall so no need to look. I'm sure it's a very nice DLC.
Quickly recapping what’s going into this DLC:
There’s a whole new part of town to drive through – and tear up. Sinclair Parish is a small rural township in the countryside with lots of opportunities to tear through turns, jump gaps and run from the law. Oh, sure, you’ll have your fill of Hollywood-caliber car chases, enhanced with new “Faster, Baby!” additions like the ability to activate slow motion. It’s a new way to carve tight corners and thread-the-needle between narrow gaps while evading pursuit.

”Faster, Baby!” gets straight to the action with high-octane driving and more car combat. With this new DLC release we’re introducing new combat mechanics perfectly suited for causing destruction on-the-go. Namely, you’ll now have access to proximity mines so you can lay out traps on the backroads or in enemy encampments. Also, take advantage of the ability to toss grenades from your car while enemies are in hot pursuit.

…and there’s a great story as well! “Faster, Baby!” takes place alongside events in the main game. A civil rights leader is murdered while investigating local sheriff “Slim” Beaumont – and other activists are next on the list. As the story unfolds, you’re unlocking new cars for tooling around New Bordeaux, new outfits and new gear for taking down Slim – as well as the Marcanos.
Trailer
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been considering a replay of older games. Stuff like KOTOR I and Bioshock Infinite come to mind. Still may sometime. But instead Ive reinstalled Mafia III and will give it another go. The first time I didn't get past the first 3 missions.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm Ive been considering a replay of older games. Stuff like KOTOR I and Bioshock Infinite come to mind. Still may sometime. But instead Ive reinstalled Mafia III and will give it another go. The first time I didn't get past the first 3 missions.
I actually played through the entire campaign, which is unusual for me. It does get a bit repetitive later on, but I thought it was worth the trouble.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fired it up and already see why i didn't do much in it the first time.....controls..>AGAIN. Cant rebind mouse buttons. I like first thumb button as reload in everything. But here I cant bind mouse buttons...so no reload, no melee, no weapon switch, no interacting with stuff. If I cant find a way to edit the files so they work as I like I wont get to play it Im afraid.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done. Deleted the game. Ill never play it with the bad console'itish it suffers in controls.

Going to try LA Noire instead.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here I am back again trying to fix the controls. I see online where places say the Logitech mouse software allows you to remap all the keys to what you want in the game. But no one tells what the software is. before I was using a Corsair mouse so couldn't test this software .Anyone know what it is?

Is it the Logitech gaming software that installed with the mouse? Or some separate app?
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/lgs
Logitech Gaming Software lets you customize Logitech G gaming mice, keyboards, headsets, speakers, and select wheels.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Guess Ill need to dig around in it more. I can remap a lot in game but then other keys wont work..and no mouse other than left and right. thats why I want to get this other working. The game is promising.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I used to be a mouse/keyboard homer to the nth degree. For a game like Mafia 3 though, I can't imagine why anyone would want to play it with anything but a gamepad. Gamepads are for PCs too!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wife has game pad
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

JCC wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 pm I used to be a mouse/keyboard homer to the nth degree. For a game like Mafia 3 though, I can't imagine why anyone would want to play it with anything but a gamepad. Gamepads are for PCs too!
I can't fathom wanting to play a shooter with a gamepad. It's like trying to aim with epilepsy.
JCC

Post by JCC »

gbasden wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:10 pm I can't fathom wanting to play a shooter with a gamepad. It's like trying to aim with epilepsy.
Playing a multiplayer FPS sure - the mouse/keyboard guy has a big advatage all other things being equal. But playing Mafia/GTA V type games? A lot of them have aiming assists to make aiming easier with the right stick. It feels much more comfortable to play those games on a gamepad to me. (shrugs)

After more than 2 decades writing software and sitting in front of a keyboard and mouse all day, I just prefer sitting in a recliner looking at a big screen TV when I play games on my PC now. Yes, I have a wireless keyboard/mouse and a lap desk for them. It works, but the gamepad is just easier and more comfortable. A gamepad is fine for the vast majority of games I play. (Most games are developed for consoles these days.) I pretty much only play first person games single player. I more than get by fine with a gamepad for most of them. I used to think first person games on a controller were the worst. Then I played Metroid Prime which was so awesome. Over the years, I've gotten used to it.

But hey, whatever floats your boat!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My last mission was to sneak quietly into a strip club and go upstairs to the brothel...ya a 2 for 1 :)...and free some girls....first guy spots me and starts shooting so I pulled out my shotgun and blasted the place. I didn't fail which is strange.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do I get my car back if I die? I got jumped by more than I thought was at a place and died. When i came back my car is not there. I dont see it on the map either. It was one I had stolen and was always waiting for me at places and after missions. Im worried if I simply take a new one then it will replace this one.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Have you unlocked Burke yet? If so, just select car delivery from the weapon select wheel. Then choose the car you've unlocked. If it's not one that's in your garage, just drive one of yours to downtown/French War. You should be able to find any car in the game there. Once you've added some rackets to Burke, you'll unlock the silent car theft skill. Then you don't have to worry about witnesses calling the police when you steal a parked car.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Burke the cia guy? If so ya. Ill check my wheel next go. TY.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Burke is the Irish guy who runs a junk yard/vehicle repair shop.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya dont seem to have met yet. I just stole another car. Figure once I meet him ill look for a faster cooler car .
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Mafia 3 was apparently supposed to have a Vito DLC where Vito tries to figure out what happened with Joe. Quite a lot of work had already been done on it by the time it was cut in favour of the DLCs it got. They recreated parts of Empire Bay and the surrounding countryside There's a bunch of pre-Alpha footage of what could have been.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really enjoying the cars and music now. Ive got stuff like a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, AC Cobra, Thunderbird. I avoid the slow four door older cars unless I just wanna tool around. But its the music Im diggin. CCR, Little Richard, The Temptations, so much great fun music to listen to as Im driving. Wish it was a little louder.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, one thing it really had going for it was the soundtrack. One of the best things about the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never have enough money to buy the cool guns. When I do get more than $1000 I bank it so I dont lose it. I always have enough to buy armor and health and refill ammo. But Im just using guns I find in the field or what they give me. Some stuff I think is $40,000 or so and I never have more saved than $15,000. I am not robbing places or doing anything but the main missions on the map though.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

That's your problem. You shouldn't be buying ammo, armor and health refills. Ammo is everywhere after a battle. Every one of your safe houses has health along with many bars and restaurants. About half of your safe houses have armor. Mostly, you only need armor when taking on an enemy base. Most of those have armor somewhere near one of the entrances. Also, don't forget to pick up your payments from your lieutenants. Later in the game your money pick up lady will also collect any payments sitting around as long as you remember to call her on a regular basis.

I ran the bulk of the game with a silenced pistol and an assault rifle. Stealth takedowns plus silenced kills plus a molotov for annoying groups meant that there was plenty of ammo lying around by the time combat got loud. Molotovs and grenades are the most common enemy special weapon drops. Focusing on them can save you money as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ya the money pickups. I never do those. Doh. Also I just use the lever action shotgun and then whatever.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I feel this far into the game I should have more neat cars. But Im not running into them in the city so far. I need to look up a guide. I know there are more I see them blacked out. I know some require mission progression but Im more interested in what i see around town. Really like the Corvette type. The Mustang one sounds weird...like a sewing machine or something.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm I never have enough money to buy the cool guns. When I do get more than $1000 I bank it so I dont lose it. I always have enough to buy armor and health and refill ammo. But Im just using guns I find in the field or what they give me. Some stuff I think is $40,000 or so and I never have more saved than $15,000. I am not robbing places or doing anything but the main missions on the map though.
You'll quickly get to a point, after several takeover missions, where you have enough of a racket that money won't matter anymore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really wish there was fast travel of SOME type. Even if it simply went to the very middle of a area.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Apparently, that was a design decision. They stuck with it. There are several story missions and DLC missions that will warp you around the map. Clearly they weren't completely against the concept. All your command wheel people can warp to your position if you need a car, guns or a money pick up. Plus a half point for sticking to their guns. Minus three points for making the wrong decision in the first place. Even if you had to use money or favors to fast travel, it would have been better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yup. Ive started getting the feeling this will end as badly as the first 2. I disliked both endings there.

Man every time I call that guy for the gun shop I feel like he is going to run over me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Actually, the game has at least 3 different endings depending on your choices.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I stole a white corvette but for some reason when he delivers it its a yellow one.