Wheel/Pedal sets and associated game discussions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Wheel/Pedal sets and associated game discussions

Post by jztemple2 »

So I just set up my G920, downloaded the Logitech driver/Hub software and have been tootling around in Project Cars 2. First thing I discovered is that my big right foot is having a hard time trying to use both the gas and brake, so I switched the brake to the physical clutch pedal since I doubt I'll ever want to use an analog clutch. Anything wrong with doing that from a standpoint of messing up the G920?

Also, the kickback of the wheel seems stronger than it should on the default settings, but since it's been twenty years, is that supposed to be normal? Does anyone have their own preferred settings they wouldn't mind posting?
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Re: New Logitech G920 Wheel/Pedal set - questions

Post by Daehawk »

Never owned a wheel or anything force feedback but did find you can change the settings pretty easy even the force of the feedback. Should be in the software settings.

http://www.fullthrottlesimracing.net/ho ... p-option-b
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:18 pm Never owned a wheel or anything force feedback but did find you can change the settings pretty easy even the force of the feedback. Should be in the software settings.
Yeah, I saw those, I was just wondering if someone had specific knowledge using a wheel with Project Cars 2.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh...again no personal exp but heres some vids. Hope it helps.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks, those are useful!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks to Daehawk for posting those videos. Through one of them I found this, ULTIMATE Custom FFB - NEW update 4.0 THE HOLY GRAIL 4.0. It definitely makes the car feel better to drive in Project Cars 2. I just did a Formula Rookie practice, qualifying and race at Long Beach and the feeling through the wheel seems just like it should.

I tried the new G920 on Forza Motorsport 7 and it felt good right with the default settings. I ran a GT Sports Car race at Road America (one of my favorite circuits) and the feedback and motions felt spot on. I used to put in a lot of time on the Forza series, but lost interest when I went to PC. Now that I can play FM7 on Win10, I might get back into it.

I also gave it a quick look in American Trucking Simulator, but even using their wizard the wheel feels sloppy. I probably will continue using a controller for that since when I drive I like to be looking all around.

The best news on all this is that after three hours of racing, I have no pain or numbness in my hands. This was my big limiting factor with a controller and was looking to curtail my interesting in racing games. Now I'm wondering if I ought to install Dirt Rally 2.0 again :D
Gato

Post by Gato »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm First thing I discovered is that my big right foot is having a hard time trying to use both the gas and brake, so I switched the brake to the physical clutch pedal since I doubt I'll ever want to use an analog clutch. Anything wrong with doing that from a standpoint of messing up the G920?
Been doing exactly that for the past 2 years that i owned the G920, so i think you should be okay. I actually prefer breaking with the clutch, the brake pedal feel too hard anyway.And i do brake with my left foot.
Also, the kickback of the wheel seems stronger than it should on the default settings, but since it's been twenty years, is that supposed to be normal? Does anyone have their own preferred settings they wouldn't mind posting?
Can't say for Project Car i don't own the game but it happened with 1 game (Forza Horizon) that i felt the force feedback was too strong, made the game almost impossible to drive.

General tips for using a wheel,
Having the most stable setup is primordial, to enjoy the most of your wheel. I recommend that you lock you chair so that it wont bend backward. And second there's nothing more annoying to have your pedal set moving, because guess what you are going to put the pedal to the metal. A simple solution to is to put a piece of "non-slip carpet underpad" under your pedal set. It will secure it over any surface, carpet, wood floor etc..
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks Gato for your inputs. While in real life I brake with my right, I've always used my left foot for braking in gaming and after a couple of hours with the G920 set up this way I'm very happy with it. And yup, that center pedal is stiff.

I have carpeting under my desk, which my wife tells me is Berber. I found that the G920 pedal set has a fold down carpet-gripper and it does what it says, holds it rock solid. My office chair is pretty comfortable no matter what I'm doing, it's pretty bare bones; no arm rests, no tilt adjust and just a lumbar slider. It leans back a bit, not quite like an F1 seat, but more than a normal car.

I'm very happy with the wheel clamping system. It holds it rock hard to the desk edge. I just have to think about managing all the wires :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

While looking around for that stuff to see if I could help i saw a lot of postings about using the clutch as brake. Seems everyone does that with that set.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:36 pm The best news on all this is that after three hours of racing, I have no pain or numbness in my hands.
This is probably what's going to convince me to finally get a wheel. I don't get pain or numbness yet but I only do 20-40 minute sessions in ACC at the moment, and when I start competing online those sessions will last way more than an hour.
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, and you should do left-foot braking.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have a wheel and stand arriving tomorrow for F1 2020 and some Motorsport 7 and Project Cars 2 with my son. Useful info here, i willl not use manual shifting so the clutch to brake looks like a good idea
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Anyone help on how to swap the brake and clutch over in the g-hub, i cant seem to figure it out or is it done game by game?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:11 am Anyone help on how to swap the brake and clutch over in the g-hub, i cant seem to figure it out or is it done game by game?
I did my swap game by game. I've looked at the G-hub but I figured that unless I can't get what I need directly in the game, I'm going to stay away from having to play with two different locations for settings. Swapping in each game wasn't an issue, since I had to calibrate pedals in each game anyway.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

OK thats great, been messing with F1 2020 but its going to need some work to get it right
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 pm OK thats great, been messing with F1 2020 but its going to need some work to get it right
I have F1 2020 on my wishlist, let me know what you think of it after getting some time playing. I understand there is finally an "overtake" button rather than needing to adjust the ERS setting for making passes. That sounds good to me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 pm OK thats great, been messing with F1 2020 but its going to need some work to get it right
Also, would you post the install footprint of F1 2020 on your drive? The Steam page specs say 80GB, I'm wondering if that is right. Thanks!
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm
Also, would you post the install footprint of F1 2020 on your drive? The Steam page specs say 80GB, I'm wondering if that is right. Thanks!
39.80 gig is the install size
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Reemul wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:19 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm
39.80 gig is the install size
Thanks, that 80 GB seemed high, but maybe that is including temporary download folders.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well I couldn't wait. I have all the previous Codemasters F1 games and heck, it seems somehow sacrilegious to get a new wheel/pedal set and not play a new game on it :roll:, so I ordered F1® 2020 Seventy Edition through Green Man Gaming for a 25% discount; not bad for a launch discount and I get the pre-purchase content as well. I opted to not get the Schumacher edition since I usual never get around to driving the vintage cars for quite a while and by then I'm sure there will be a sale.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I am all at sea over what force feedback settings to use for F1 2020. Reemul, could you post what you have found to be useful? I'm afraid I've tinkered with my settings so much I'm not sure what is doing what :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I figured out one thing that might have caused me problems. In the G-Hub I had left the wheel rotation at the default 900. I changed it to 180 and now my steering in F1 2020 seems a lot crisper. This is important on the last two corners of Melbourne, that quick left/right combination... or maybe it might be the changes I made to wheel linearity saturation in the F1 2020 options. I'm confusing myself :doh:

UPDATE: Nevermind, it wasn't the changes in the G-Hub, it was the change to the steering saturation setting.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

These are my force and vibration settings:

I kept stepping down the Feedback Strength as I just felt like I was getting beaten up by the wheel. These feel OK, but I'm not sure. At least I can complete a lap of Melbourne without constantly going off and that last left-right combination is now doable without feeling like I'm having to twist my wrists into a pretzel.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I feel more and more like I need a wheel. I'm still pootling along on Monza in ACC, but I was watching someone on Youtube do some track - no idea which one - and one part of it can only be described as a rollercoaster. Around 5 or 6 turns all very close together, and he was taking them at high speed. There's just no way I will be able to do this with a gamepad. If I'm turning right, say, and I throw the thumbstick to the left, it takes about two seconds for my in-game wheel to turn all the way to the left. I could possibly crank up the steering speed in the game settings, but that would make the rest of the game unplayable. It's a lose-lose situation.

I think I'm starting to see why most ACC players say don't even bother if you don't have a wheel. :/
I no longer post here.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 am These are my force and vibration settings:

I kept stepping down the Feedback Strength as I just felt like I was getting beaten up by the wheel. These feel OK, but I'm not sure. At least I can complete a lap of Melbourne without constantly going off and that last left-right combination is now doable without feeling like I'm having to twist my wrists into a pretzel.
I use

On
Off

Additionally i use in G-Hub 100 sensitivity and operational range down from 900 to 400. I just hate having to turn the wheel so much. I used SIlverstone ndn Monza to work on the settings are they are high speed and need a lot of quick left and rights as well as keeping the power on. Not tried something like Monaco yet to see how they work.
jztemple2

Re: Wheel/Pedal sets and associated game discussions

Post by jztemple2 »

I changed the topic title to be inclusive of all types of wheel/pedal rigs and associated games you use with them.

I just finished my first F1 weekend in F1 2020, the Australian GP at Melbourne, playing with the full My Team features. I am the driver/owner of Temple Racing :D. I did got with the default options of the 30 minute practice sessions, 18 minute single qualifying session and 25% race length. I also went with the default setting on the AI, which was easy. I barely beat Hamilton to the pole and in the game after pit stops I ended up in 2nd behind Bottas and he slowly moved away from me as I fought off the Ferraris. I had to use the Flashback feature several times since I tend to let my mind wander while racing, never a good thing during an F1 race :roll:. I ended up second, my teammate was 19th; that probably shows the real speed of the car :wink:

I'm pretty happy with how the Logitech G920 behaved during the race weekend. I backed down the feedback strength from 30 to 25 and now can almost consistently get around that last left-right combo without feeling like I'm torturing my wrists. I think I was just overdriving into the first corner and so it was hard to get the wheel spun around to the other direction.

Using the G920 is a real workout! Even with a force feedback setting of 25 I still have to muscle the wheel at times. And being an F1 car I go from full throttle to full brake to full throttle quite a lot per lap. I do have the antilock brake and traction control assists on, I have learned that with all that power it is just too hard for me to do without those assists. I also am using an automatic shift setting. I did try doing manual shifting, even enabling the upshift beeps (which is a cool new feature), but I can't keep up with the needed shift points. I do like the G920 paddles for other games, they are nice and solid. I might get comfortable enough with F1 2020 to try again at some point.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Playing F1 2020 some more today. Last night I did the race weekend at Melbourne, this afternoon it was Bahrain and this evening it was the Vietnam GP at Hanoi. First time I've ever seen the track, so I took extra time to drive around to familiarize myself with it.Cool track actually, a big backstraight, a hairpin, two circling track points with grandstands all around and the real challenge, a series of esses between concrete walls :shock:

I qualified fourth but got a bonkers start and shot up between Max and Lewis at the first quick left-right, and maybe I cut across the inside of the corner... it didn't get flagged, so I led the first lap. On the second lap Bottas rammed me from behind and damn, he was disqualified :mrgreen:. I struggled after a few laps, trying to reach my pit window at the end of lap 6, and Hamilton passed me on the back straight with DRS. Before the pitstop I got a bad exit from the last turn onto the start/finish straight and was a sandwich will Albon on one side and Verstappen on the other :roll:. They were getting past me so I did the smart think and backed down to let them fight it into turn one.

I went from softs to hards on the pitstop and that might have been a mistake as I just wasn't as fast and I got passed by a couple more folks. Back when I was using a controller I really couldn't swear whether it was my bad driving or my tires going away that make me slower, but now I can see it very well with the wheel as my tires degrade. Eventually I finished sixth, with a line of cars right behind me, but in the post-race I found I had been assessed a five second penalty so I dropped to thirteenth :doh:

At the My Team level things are going well, I'm pulling in more money than I need to spend, so I can spend it on perks. I'm still not sure how the facilities work and go about shifting resource points between them, but maybe I have to wait till years end. With my car development I'm theoretically faster than the Williams and now even with the Haas, but of course I have the Drive AI at Easy so at least I can be competitive.

Really having fun with the game so far.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I did Melbourne last night it my own team. Qualified 5th and had a wet race, sat in 2nd for the whole race, had 2 safety cars and on the last chicane I got spun out by Leclerc and finished 17th. Really gutted.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More about my current experiences in F1 2020 from Codemasters.

I hate Monaco. No, not the country, heck I like hanging out with the prince and gambling at the casino and setting off the horn on my yacht at five in the morning to wake up the late risers. No, I hate the damn race track. More on that later...

So after Vietnam it was China, which is a very familiar track. Did well there except when I went from softs to mediums I felt like the car was broken :shock:. It shows the value of a FFB wheel in that I could see how a change in grip affected my handling. I did barely beat the Mercs to the finish.

After that was the new Dutch GP at Zandvoort. Holy smokes, I think the last time I saw this track was in Grand Prix Legends :roll:. Turns out however that it wasn't all that interesting. It's a rhythm track without any real drama in the layout. Once I did a few laps I was able to lap consistently and fast. I pitted late enough that I kept the lead and was about six seconds out front at the end.

Then there was Spain, or the Spanish GP at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. F1 sees this track a lot since they do their winter testing there, and I've seen it in pretty much every racing game that that has road courses. Heck, it's probably in Mario Kart. After Senna's death in 1994 the powers that be put in that horrible chicane at 13-14-15 and ruined the flow of the track, but it is just one of those challenges you overcome to get a great lap. Since I've put so many laps in there I was able to be quick. I won that race but barely.

And then Monaco. I went out and figured with my wheel/pedals I might be able to do better than whacking the walls every lap, but I was wrong. It is still horrible. They ought to put that track out of its misery and switch to some place like Mugello. Or Road America?

The team ownership part of the game continues to be interesting. I'm still a bit iffy on R&D, I started the season behind everyone but Williams and now even they are doing better at the car tech than I am, but Temple Racing is a new team after all. My teammate isn't that good yet his market value has gone from $1M to $2M which seems crazy. His contract runs out at half season and either I have to pony up the bigger bucks or get an F2 star cheap. If this was real life I'd be approaching Vettel; maybe he could pay me to race! By the way, that seems to be something missing from F1 2020, I haven't seen any pay drivers (drivers who pay you for the seat). This was something (IIRC) to be found in Motorsport Manager PC version.

By the way, I notice that 81 people found my review of Motorsport Manager helpful. I think that is the largest number I've ever seen. Cool :mrgreen:
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Great write up, I ma having a nightmare, my kids have stolen the Wheel and are playing F1 2020 on the Xbox and Motorsport 7, i'm back to the game pad
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I might buy Gran Turismo Sport for the PS4 soon. I was quite surprised to see it's only £15 on the PS store. At the moment I feel like GT will probably be just the right balance between sim and arcade that I need right now, while I only have gamepads to play with.
I no longer post here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had a moment of "hey, that might be kinda cool to have an actual wheel/pedal setup". Then I started looking at how much those cost.

Definitely too much to spend on a "maybe I'll like it" thing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm I had a moment of "hey, that might be kinda cool to have an actual wheel/pedal setup". Then I started looking at how much those cost.

We can do the usual thing where you buy it, hate it and then I buy it off you at a discount!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm I had a moment of "hey, that might be kinda cool to have an actual wheel/pedal setup". Then I started looking at how much those cost.

We can do the usual thing where you buy it, hate it and then I buy it off you at a discount!
Y'know, I've got a nice Saitek HOTAS from my last "kinda cool" experiment that is busy gathering dust.

"Skinypupy's Used Game/Gear Emporium" is open for business! :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm Definitely too much to spend on a "maybe I'll like it" thing.
That's the only reason I haven't bought a wheel yet, but it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'll never be competitive without one.

In other news, I bought Gran Turismo Sport and was just delighted to see that even today they still have the requirement that you unlock anything remotely interesting by ploughing through all the boring stuff first. :roll:
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:33 pm Y'know, I've got a nice Saitek HOTAS from my last "kinda cool" experiment that is busy gathering dust.
I had one of those for years, mostly gathering dust, and when I pulled it out after more than a year on the shelf I found that the rubber-ish grips had all turned sticky and icky :?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:45 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:33 pm Y'know, I've got a nice Saitek HOTAS from my last "kinda cool" experiment that is busy gathering dust.
I had one of those for years, mostly gathering dust, and when I pulled it out after more than a year on the shelf I found that the rubber-ish grips had all turned sticky and icky :?
https://www.thenakedscientists.com/foru ... ic=26424.0
"There is therefore a large range of both sequential (or chain) reactions and competing reactions and that the ones which predominate depend on factors such as the composition of the vulcanizate as well as the influences of heat, light and metal catalysis. In heat ageing we are balancing the rate of reaction of oxygen with the elastomer and the rate of diffusion of the oxygen into the bulk material. If the temperature is relatively low, it has been postulated that for an unprotected vulcanizate diffusion predominates and therefore there is slow oxidation throughout the product, but as the temperature rises, the rate of oxidation increases much more than the rate of diffusion so substantial oxidation occurs on the surface and an oxidized (hard) surface skin is formed. As oxidation continues the chain breakdown may become more significant and the hard surface then softens and turns sticky. To complicate matters further, under certain conditions this order can be reversed and an initially sticky degraded surface can harden with further oxidation."
sometimes applying talcum powder to the rotting rubber could get rid of the stickiness

but for a sure solution use 90+percent isopropyl - take a cloth and dip it in the alcohol and wring it out so that it is almost dry and wipe the affected areas. you can also use an old, soft toothbrush or small model brush dipped in the alcohol
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, that's good to know! :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:33 pm "Skinypupy's Used Game/Gear Emporium" is open for business! :lol:
I used to collect weird peripherals... not with the intention of collecting. I really planned to use them. I had the Microsoft Dual-Strike, the Strategic Commander, the Belkin Nostromo N52 (predecessor to the current Razer version), and the Logitech version too. I have the Thrustmaster Top Gun, both the ORIGINAL original (with the joystick port), and the modern one (with USB). And a couple other oddball things somewhere.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I raced F1 2020 at the Azerbaijan GP last night. This is one of those modern tracks that I really like. Starting off with several square turns with plenty of running distance between them, the track then goes through an almost-hairpin, then down to a single lane past the castle. After that there are several high speed corners between concrete walls, a couple of square corners and then on the ultra long front straight.It shows how much I like the track is that after a couple of free run laps I did the Track Familiarization program and on the very first lap I got almost all purple corners with only a handful of green and not a single red. Lots of fun to run this track.

I did my usual routine in the first 30 minute free practice of running a couple of free laps, then the Track Familiarization program followed by the ERA and Fuel programs. I don't bother with the Tyres program as I never seem to be able to complete it successfully :(. Then on the second free practice I first run the Qualifying sim and then the Race Strategy run. If everything is good, I use time acceleration to finish free practice 2, then I just sim free practice 3. This was followed by qualifying where I took pole :D.

The race didn't turn out like I thought. There was a chance of rain late in the race, so I debated going soft-soft-intermediate, but since I couldn't be sure I decided to stay with the usual soft-medium. The race started off fine, I built up a few seconds lead. Then for some daft reason I thought that I needed more down force when I got my mediums fitted and I requested an adjustment of down force from 5 to 6 during the pit stop. Bad decision. I lost too much speed on the big, long straight and so got passed by the Mercs. I then pushed too hard and banged up my front wing and got passed by a couple more cars before the end, getting away with a fifth place :doh:. And it never rained.

At the corporate/business/development level I'm finally getting my car development back equal to Williams, who I started ahead of. I've got my third sponsor, so more bucks coming in. I've figured out that my second driver isn't leaving me mid-season if I don't get a signed contract with him, it will be that he will be free to sign with someone else. Since I now have enough renown to get that third sponsor, I might be able to afford a better driver. I wonder how much Vettel would ask? :mrgreen: