News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Formix

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Formix »

Late to the game, I know, but we just started Ozark, and I just started Community. I'm not really into sitcoms, but I'd heard so much about Community that I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out it's just the light comedic remedy I needed to combat the rest of 2020. Ozark, well . . . not light, but awesome so far. Although I can't get past the thought that this is what George Michael did once he finally got away from the rest of the Bluths.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 am So, I finished it tonight, and I actually really liked this season. It was a nice change of setting, as I was getting tired of her constant blackouts. After last season, I'd wondered where it would go as they seemed to have written her into a corner.

Although one thing that really confused me with the season finale was her hair color. All throughout the season, she had blonde hair and they'd even dedicated part of an episode to explain her transition, and yet during the last episode she's back to her old hair color and they barely even notice or question her why she's not looking like a different person, and compounding that confusion was the blackout they'd started the episode with. Rather sloppy writing if you ask me.
Well, (and Rumpy and I are getting spoilery here so beware) we found out in the last episode that she was STILL having blackouts but she (and we) were just not just made aware of them until late in the season. I am not as upset over the non-reaction of the family to her hair color change though I do think it would have made sense for someone in the family (particularly her lover) to drop a quick comment about it.

I am a little more upset about Marcella running off with the baby at the end. Given she is still batshit crazy, I can't think of a worse candidate to take mothership of the poor child. I advise that baby not to cry too much. I would have had the baby's mother survive.

I still hope they have a season 4, but I am not sure where they go with Marcella from here - but then again that might be a good thing!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

JCC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 am
Well, (and Rumpy and I are getting spoilery here so beware) we found out in the last episode that she was STILL having blackouts but she (and we) were just not just made aware of them until late in the season. I am not as upset over the non-reaction of the family to her hair color change though I do think it would have made sense for someone in the family (particularly her lover) to drop a quick comment about it.
Ohh yeah, I guess I should have spoilered that. I forget who it was, but someone did make an offhand comment, to the effect of "What happened to you?" But it didn't quite feel like enough for someone who spent their entire time with a particular hair color, with a family that doesn't fully trust her. It should have trickled down into looking into her background much sooner than it had.

With the baby, I agree. Although I think the writer's plan was to have it be a parallel to what she had lost. She'll probably do her best to hang on to it while social services comes knocking, and that's probably going to be season 4 in a nutshell.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

I really enjoyed all of the songs in Eurovision and love Rachel McAdams.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Only watched about 1/2 of the first episode on lunch, but Nuns with Guns by Dunn looks fun!
A young woman wakes up in a morgue and finds she now carries an embedded divine object in her back in Warrior Nun, a forthcoming fantasy drama from Netflix, based on the comic series by Ben Dunn. Not only has the divine brought her back from the dead, but she now has superpowers and a new mission to fight hell on Earth.

The first issue in the manga-style comic book series, "Warrior Nun Areala," debuted in 1994. The series features Sister Shannon Masters, a modern-day crusader for the Catholic Church's (fictional) Order of the Cruciform Sword. In the series mythology, the Order dates back to 1066, when a young Valkyrie woman named Auria converted to Christianity. Renamed Areala, she selects a new avatar every generation to carry on her mission of battling the agents of hell. Sister Shannon is the Chosen One. It's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer got religion.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw the entire first episode and liked it enough to keep going. But first, Hamilton. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm I really enjoyed all of the songs in Eurovision and love Rachel McAdams.
It’s fun, but it’s no Talladega Nights. It did make me realize that Dan Stevens can do anything. Man that guy is talented.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 pm Only watched about 1/2 of the first episode on lunch, but Nuns with Guns by Dunn looks fun!
A young woman wakes up in a morgue and finds she now carries an embedded divine object in her back in Warrior Nun, a forthcoming fantasy drama from Netflix, based on the comic series by Ben Dunn. Not only has the divine brought her back from the dead, but she now has superpowers and a new mission to fight hell on Earth.

The first issue in the manga-style comic book series, "Warrior Nun Areala," debuted in 1994. The series features Sister Shannon Masters, a modern-day crusader for the Catholic Church's (fictional) Order of the Cruciform Sword. In the series mythology, the Order dates back to 1066, when a young Valkyrie woman named Auria converted to Christianity. Renamed Areala, she selects a new avatar every generation to carry on her mission of battling the agents of hell. Sister Shannon is the Chosen One. It's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer got religion.
I bailed in the middle of episode one out of boredom. I don't need back to back nun fighting to capture my interest but it's not grabbing me so far. But it could be a pilot episode thing and I'm willing to give the concept of fighting nuns a chance for a few more episodes. Other things are crowding it out for the moment like season 1 of The Politician and season 2 of Hanna on that other streaming service is starting up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm I really enjoyed all of the songs in Eurovision and love Rachel McAdams.
It’s fun, but it’s no Talladega Nights.
And that's a good thing!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:36 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 pm
It’s fun, but it’s no Talladega Nights.
And that's a good thing!
You didn't want Eurovision to be funny? :?
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I wasn't aware any of Will Ferrell's movies were meant to be funny....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:35 pm I wasn't aware any of Will Ferrell's movies were meant to be funny....
Elf is by far my favorite of his. I've determined in just not his demographic. I've also seen Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, and Eurovision. Eurovision was my second favorite because of the music. I found anytime they weren't in competition to be pretty boring though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Give Stranger than Fiction a try.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was being a curmudgeon... but I'd gladly give another of his comedy-comedies a try if you guys attest to its hilariousness, at least as far as de gustibus non est disputandum. I've just never seen a trailer for one of his comedies that struck me as more amusing than stupid.

I've actually seen Stranger than Fiction, and I remember enjoying it. I also liked Everything Must Go and Elf. But I viewed the former two as being dramas first. (And as a dramatic actor, I find him appealing.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, Stranger Than Fiction is my favourite of his, mostly because he's not playing his usual Will Ferrell. I'd call that the Robin Williams method, of a comedian venturing into different genres, and I wish more comedians would do that as I find it helps them grow as actors. Too many comedians, I feel, get stuck in a rut of doing the same thing/similar roles and need to expand their horizons. He needs to do more dramas as it's quite clear he has the chops, but he keeps falling back on his comedies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:35 pm I wasn't aware any of Will Ferrell's movies were meant to be funny....
Elf is by far my favorite of his. I've determined in just not his demographic. I've also seen Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, and Eurovision. Eurovision was my second favorite because of the music. I found anytime they weren't in competition to be pretty boring though.
Since I like the actual Eurovision and watch it every year, I supposed I should check out this movie.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

$iljanus wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 pm Only watched about 1/2 of the first episode on lunch, but Nuns with Guns by Dunn looks fun!

I bailed in the middle of episode one out of boredom. I don't need back to back nun fighting to capture my interest but it's not grabbing me so far. But it could be a pilot episode thing and I'm willing to give the concept of fighting nuns a chance for a few more episodes. Other things are crowding it out for the moment like season 1 of The Politician and season 2 of Hanna on that other streaming service is starting up.
The next few episode are far more character /world development. Finished the first 4 episodes last night.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Since I like the actual Eurovision and watch it every year, I supposed I should check out this movie.
I didn't know Eurovision was a real thing. Be prepared for cheesy, ABBA-esque music.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:17 pm I've been watching Sutter's newest show Mayans M.C. and it's equally as awful. The only reason I watch, and I'm ashamed to admit this, is because I'm curious as to what violent or perverse story line he'll turn to next to keep his audience fixated on the show. He doesn't know how to create characters with any depth, so that's all he has.
I think I watched two episodes. I had some relief when I saw Cmdr. Adama, but I didn't want to waste any more time on the show unless I heard it got awesome later on. SoA was a total guilty pleasure and had a great cast. Kim Coates, Ron Pearlman and a cameo by Walton Goggins. How can you go wrong? Mayans appears to be everything that was sub par in SoA and nothing else.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm How can you go wrong?
With awful scripts and ridiculously bad subplots?

Christ on a green screen from the series finale still cracks me up to this day.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have to admit, I really enjoy watching “The Floor Is Lava” with the kids. They did an excellent job making such a silly premise so dang much fun to watch.
Formix wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 am Late to the game, I know, but we just started Ozark, and I just started Community. I'm not really into sitcoms, but I'd heard so much about Community that I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out it's just the light comedic remedy I needed to combat the rest of 2020.
I really liked the first 4 seasons of Community. The last two were flat out awful though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:17 pm I've been watching Sutter's newest show Mayans M.C. and it's equally as awful. The only reason I watch, and I'm ashamed to admit this, is because I'm curious as to what violent or perverse story line he'll turn to next to keep his audience fixated on the show. He doesn't know how to create characters with any depth, so that's all he has.
I think I watched two episodes. I had some relief when I saw Cmdr. Adama, but I didn't want to waste any more time on the show unless I heard it got awesome later on. SoA was a total guilty pleasure and had a great cast. Kim Coates, Ron Pearlman and a cameo by Walton Goggins. How can you go wrong? Mayans appears to be everything that was sub par in SoA and nothing else.
How can you leave Katey Sagal off that list? She often carried SoA singlehandedly.

I, like most others, enjoyed SoA as a stupid guilty pleasure. I have felt absolutely no desire to step back into that world for any reason once the show ended.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been watching their TV series version of Snowpeircer and I'm not entirely sold on it. It's got some decent performances and even has Steven Ogg in it (aka Trevor from GTA 5), but Jennifer Connelly feels miscast with her entirely wooden acting, although maybe that's part of the point of the character she's playing. My first impressions is that it's a very weird series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TV Line
Just days after The CW pulled the plug on Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene, Netflix has gone and cancelled fellow sister series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina after two super-sized seasons (or four parts), multiple sources confirm to TVLine.

The Kiernan Shipka-headlined series’ final eight episodes (aka Part 4) will premiere later this year.
In the final eight episodes, “The Eldritch Terrors will descend upon Greendale,” per Netflix. “The coven must fight each terrifying threat one-by-one (The Weird, The Returned, The Darkness to name a few), all leading up to…The Void, which is the End of All Things. As the witches wage war, with the help of The Fright Club, Nick begins to slowly earn his way back into Sabrina’s heart, but will it be too late?”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that sucks. Sabrina was a surprise hit for me.

Ah well, at least I still have Legion, Preacher and Swamp Thing to look forward to...
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:26 pm I have to admit, I really enjoy watching “The Floor Is Lava” with the kids. They did an excellent job making such a silly premise so dang much fun to watch.
Formix wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 am Late to the game, I know, but we just started Ozark, and I just started Community. I'm not really into sitcoms, but I'd heard so much about Community that I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out it's just the light comedic remedy I needed to combat the rest of 2020.
I really liked the first 4 seasons of Community. The last two were flat out awful though.
Seasons 1 through 3 are great (too bad you can’t stream the epic D&D episode anymore), season 4 was just god awful because Harmon wasn’t involved, but seasons 5 and 6 are almost as good as the first three seasons due to Harmon’s return. There’s a Logan’s Run/Brave New World parody in season 5 that’s up there with some of the show’s best episodes.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sabrina is still on my list to watch at some point, but somehow that show keeps getting "bumped" for other stuff. Just started up October Faction, a couple of episodes in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tried to get into Sabrina a while back, but I just couldn't. I liked the characters, and I liked the concept, but it was just unrelentingly dark. I enjoy dark shows, but there was never a breath of fresh air in Sabrina, no light moments to offset the dark whole of it. It felt like there wasn't as single character whose story wasn't tragedy after tragedy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:10 pm Sabrina is still on my list to watch at some point, but somehow that show keeps getting "bumped" for other stuff. Just started up October Faction, a couple of episodes in.
I enjoyed October Faction and hope it gets a second season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:26 pm I tried to get into Sabrina a while back, but I just couldn't. I liked the characters, and I liked the concept, but it was just unrelentingly dark. I enjoy dark shows, but there was never a breath of fresh air in Sabrina, no light moments to offset the dark whole of it. It felt like there wasn't as single character whose story wasn't tragedy after tragedy.
It’s more in the vein of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel than anything else. So if you didn’t like those, you probably won’t like Sabrina. There is comedy, though (not sure how far you got into the series, but I would vigorously disagree that it doesn’t have any light moments). And even musical episodes like they used to do on Buffy. But it’s supposed to be a horror show with comedic moments, not the other way around.

Now, if you want truly dark shows, I can give you some recommendations. :evil:

Watching Old Guard right now. My initial thoughts after a half hour? Truly uninspired. If you want immortals without all the cliches, go check out He Never Died which is also on Netflix.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:26 pm I tried to get into Sabrina a while back, but I just couldn't. I liked the characters, and I liked the concept, but it was just unrelentingly dark. I enjoy dark shows, but there was never a breath of fresh air in Sabrina, no light moments to offset the dark whole of it. It felt like there wasn't as single character whose story wasn't tragedy after tragedy.
It’s more in the vein of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel than anything else. So if you didn’t like those, you probably won’t like Sabrina. There is comedy, though (not sure how far you got into the series, but I would vigorously disagree that it doesn’t have any light moments). And even musical episodes like they used to do on Buffy. But it’s supposed to be a horror show with comedic moments, not the other way around.
I got through the first 'season' and into the second (or half-seasons, I suppose.) And Buffy/Angel were the first shows I ever owned physical copies of. I've seen them at least four or five times, and they're some of my favorite shows that don't have 'Trek' in the name.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Considering how many people died and/or lost their souls/humanity on Buffy and Angel I’m surprised they weren’t as dark for you. :?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:13 pm Considering how many people died and/or lost their souls/humanity on Buffy and Angel I’m surprised they weren’t as dark for you. :?
With Sabrina, it seemed like every development consisted of characters having terrible things happen to them. Buffy and Angel always had nasty stuff happen to the characters (especially later on), but they wins and triumphs, too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And in case I wasn't clear, it is a good show. Good characters, casting, and stories. I just found it very oppressive (maybe that would be a better term than 'dark.')
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To each their own. I remember quite a few wins and triumphs in Sabrina. But just like Buffy and Angel they would usually have one right near the end of the season...before another setback would happen to take them into the next season. That was kind of a Whedon thing, pulling the rug out from under viewers.

Now that I think back on Buffy and Angel, I actually think those two were actually more unrelenting than Sabrina. Almost everyone died or became evil at some point. And they usually had Buffy sacrifice herself in the season finales.

Also, I think it goes without saying:

45 minutes into Old Guard now. I think I’m just hate watching at this point. It’s like Highlander without any of the fun.

Edit: finished it a bit ago. It does get better with some pretty good fight scenes, but overall it’s just kind of mediocre.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The kids and I are currently binging Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts. Good stuff.

Bummer about Sabrina.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lucifer S5 Trailer:

Lucifer is back and acting...strange. Get ready - this season all your desires will be fulfilled. Season 5 Part 1 premieres August 21 only on Netflix.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I kind of wish they’d not included the major plot twist of the season in the damn trailer, I must say.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can only hope it means something even bigger and better is in store upon watching.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m sure the next trailer will tell you.
Covfefe!