Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

A couple of months ago Michelle banged her knee at work. It wasn't an accident level of bang, just a bang. She's moderately clumsy and tends to bump into things from time to time. Over the last few weeks her knee has been swelling and hurting, but again - she bumps into enough things that we never made the connection. At least until she went to the doctor yesterday and found she has a fractured kneecap that's she's been working on (hard, physical work, often kneeling on hard surfaces.) The doc says she should be taking it easy at work, but there is no 'easy' option that still allows the job to get done. It also means she can't work using an immobilization brace (which is what she needs.) And yet she refuses to take off and leave her friends in a bind, as they're already short-handed (they can't keep people due to how physically demanding the job is.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

At least wear a "soft" knee brace with flexible side-ribs.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 am I spend $40+S&H for an evaporative cooler... Which is basically a USB fan with a water tank and a filter so the fan blows across the filter and take the water vapor with it. Cooler than a fan by itself, and water tank lasts hours. My room gets unbearable at noonish, even with two fans blowing (a window fan and a tower fan). But I don't have AC, and that's expected.
Interesting, as the evap cooler actually made the room tolerable at noon. Outside the room it's muggy as there's no wind or air circulation in that area. I just thought it'd consume less water than this, or its water tank capacity indicator is a bit off as the water is "drained" to fill the evap area. I filled it to the max, and a few moments later it's already down to half. But then I kinda ran it "dry" an hour ago. for $40 it's not a bad investment.

I've actually took a peek inside. It's basically a water tank hooked to an area that has a air-permeable cloth in it, and a PC-style 120mm USB fan. I'm guessing the power switch has a relay that actually releases the water, so the cloth doesn't get water when the power's off so the whole thing doesn't "flood". Or maybe I'm overthinking it. Fan has 3 speed settings. They claim the water tank lasts 4 hours with the fan on max. It seems a bit less than that. And I think it actually is a bit cooler, but I haven't measured it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like what we call a swamp cooler.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

damp towel on fan.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got up at daylight today and bleach scrubbed the entire house outside. Took 3 hours instead of the two I thought it would. Man Im beat and my shoulder muscles fell off half way through. Something stung or bit the bejeezus out of me. Lucky I was working on the last part at the time. It still hurts. I got a lot of plain old dirt and grim off and some mildew. But there is still a hint of green in places that no amount of scrubbing would remove. Looks like Saturday I may have to pay that $30 and get the Wet & Forget stuff after all. There goes extra gas money for the car. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Next month my spare money goes for a kitchen faucet. Ive had only a stream of cold water from it for 4 years. Like a piece of spaghetti sized stream. I thought it was the valve but a handyman said it was the faucet. Its not the actual hardware Im concerned with installing its the getting under the sink with a shit back and trying to see and work at weird angles.

This looks like whats in there. Not sure to go that way again or get something a little better.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source ... 1000003422

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Come to think of it I was soaked head to toe in bleach water for 3 hours. So no COVID on me or the house :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This amuses me far more than it should. It has to be a fake, but the concept that someone out there has a business plan involving building “soup tubes” to deliver subscription based soup to households is funny enough that I wish it were true.

edit: some enterprising internet comic has created a web site for the service
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe she could hook him up with that lawyer in Nigeria that keeps wanting to send me money.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, does anyone here remember an old 'camp song' (not sure really, where I heard it).... but in this goofy song there is a part where a gun is being loaded and the line "and buuUUUuuullets" is spoken...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My camp song was Alley Oop.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never went to camp.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

News lady was talking about a story and said "The man not the mammal".

Im not sure that she knows what we are.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My mower part arrived. This one appears to be a solid OEm product. The steel is nice quality this time. I got it installed and it held. I mowed 5 or 6 strips to be sure. Not loose a bit.

But now I have a new dilemma. The new blade I bought doesn't seem sharp at all. It seems more dull than the old blade was before I sharpened it. The mow is shaking and vibrating a LOT in the taller wet grass. Its shaking itself apart. The side discharge cover came loose even. I turn the mower over and there was a bunt cake chaped pile of grass just sitting under it and grass was actually wrapped around the supposedly cutting edge of the blade.

So now I dont know if I should take it off and sharpen it or it sharpening the old blade threw the balance off and started all this mess in the first place. I could put the old new sharpened blade back on and see. But it could be worse, ir could break my new part yet again or it might be ok. Ive sharpened blades for 30 years and always try to be even and balance it on my finger to see but thats all eyeing it so to say. If the old blade worked I could return that new $20 one. Or maybe I should sharpen it ...argh.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's already been mentioned, but conventional push mowers are not designed to cut grass that tall. Wrapping around the blade, even a sharp one, is going to happen. You don't have the right tool for the job at the moment.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There’s a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:54 pm It's already been mentioned, but conventional push mowers are not designed to cut grass that tall. Wrapping around the blade, even a sharp one, is going to happen. You don't have the right tool for the job at the moment.
And tall, wet grass at that.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:53 pm My mower part arrived. This one appears to be a solid OEm product. The steel is nice quality this time. I got it installed and it held. I mowed 5 or 6 strips to be sure. Not loose a bit.

But now I have a new dilemma. The new blade I bought doesn't seem sharp at all. It seems more dull than the old blade was before I sharpened it. The mow is shaking and vibrating a LOT in the taller wet grass. Its shaking itself apart. The side discharge cover came loose even. I turn the mower over and there was a bunt cake chaped pile of grass just sitting under it and grass was actually wrapped around the supposedly cutting edge of the blade.

So now I dont know if I should take it off and sharpen it or it sharpening the old blade threw the balance off and started all this mess in the first place. I could put the old new sharpened blade back on and see. But it could be worse, ir could break my new part yet again or it might be ok. Ive sharpened blades for 30 years and always try to be even and balance it on my finger to see but thats all eyeing it so to say. If the old blade worked I could return that new $20 one. Or maybe I should sharpen it ...argh.
As Smoove already correctly observed, you are using the wrong tool for the job. So instead of wasting your time, money, and efforts on ruining a tool never intended for the purpose of clearing the length of grass and weeds you're now dealing with, just get yourself the right tool for the job, i.e. a double-edged weed & grass cutter like this:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got one. used the hell out of it when I was young. Not physically able to use it now. its ok I got a weed whacker for this. Im just wondering about blades and sharpness. Ill leave it and mow when I trim it down and see how it does. Still being crap Ill change blades. Still being bad Ill sharpen the new blade and try it. Still being bad Ill give up for good .
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was just posting in the Horizon Zero Dawn thread that I was thinking about buying it for PC despite having the complete edition for PS4 and it made me think for a moment about why that is. ps4 = power recliner, 110" screen in a blackout room and 7.1 surround system, pc = firm gaming chair, 34" screen and $30 stereo speakers. Why the hell would I choose the PC version?

The power recliners in the media room are murder on my back (I had back surgery for a herniated disc 2.5 years ago and I am super concerned about hurting my back again), in any position I can find where the gaming chair is very firm and upright and while it's closer to some bedrock contraption you might expect to see in the flintstones, it supports me in all the right places.

I need to see about replacing those home theater chairs so I don't actively avoid my home theater. I guess furniture shopping in a pandemic is probably a bad idea.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I put my old home sharpened blade back on and tested it in the high grass. It ran better and cut better. Best of all it didn't break. So Im returning the new blade tomorrow. Can use that money badly. I then weedeated the entire front and side yards and tomorrow will mow if the mower holds up and do the real weedeating/trimming. Wish me luck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lately Im not sure if Ive gone a certain route, a road, or a place or if Ive just Google Earth \ Google Map'd it. I try to shake up my path in town to see new things as Im going some place. But I do it so much online too I cant tell which Ive done lol.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My grass is so high I can't use my riding lawnmower on it. And now the humidity is so high it's soaking wet in the morning which is the only time I can go out.
<sigh>
Altho too hot for me late in the afternoon, maybe I can get out with my DR mower after the sun goes down.
Thankfully my back is in a bad streak so I got that going for me.
Then again maybe I just bitch too much. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All the same with me. I had planned to mow this morning but took too long in town. Now the sun is straight up and hot. Ill mow tonight when the sun is behind the hill. Going to rain tomorrow and that will make it stay wet for days again. And next week is all 98 degrees and humid...well more humid.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Perto's Hint of Orange Sweet Tea is amazing. Me and my wife used to get it at the Petro fast food place in our mall in the 90s. They left and are only in their original Knoxville area since then and we missed it so much. I came across it today in jugs at the local supermarket. Wish my wife could be here for it. Takes me back.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got the Wet & Forget on the house. Hope it works. Costs $30. Breathed some of the mist and got it on my face. make ya cough. Has Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride and ethanol in it. Cleaned up good afterward.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The town tornado sirens are going off. We don't have a basement, nor is there a public shelter at hand.

Joy.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We got a major storm coming in about sunset. No mowing this evening.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:32 pm The town tornado sirens are going off. We don't have a basement, nor is there a public shelter at hand.

Joy.
Find the nearest trailer park...and go the other way.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is why the internet exists:

Did Jon Really Drink Dog Semen In This 1990 "Garfield" Comic?
The infamous comic has long befuddled fans.
Enlarge Image

It ran May 30, 1990, and that entire week's strips were devoted to Jon and Garfield's trip to the veterinarian's office, where Jon repeatedly and unsuccessfully hits on the vet, Liz.

The strip in question shows Jon grabbing a cup on the counter and taking a big swig, apparently in the belief that it's filled with coffee.

"Congratulations, Mr. Arbuckle," says Liz. "You are going to give birth to a fine, healthy litter of puppies."

That Jon drinks dog semen has become an article of faith among many Garfield fans.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mowing is DONE! It usually takes me 2 1/2 hours and 2 tanks of gas to mow. This time it took me 3 1/2 and 3 tanks of gas. I also had to do a small field repair on the mower.

I lucked out and the timing of my slow cooker bbq pork ribs completed right as I got done and walked in the door on the 8 1/2 hours from start mark.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got some of these yesterday. Had not heard or seen them before this.

https://www.fentimans.com/

I got the Cherry Cola ones. Reminds me of a little soda shop 40 years ago in Scottsboro AL where they hand made the cherry cola from separate ingredients.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got some cream Dr Pepper the other day. Not too bad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:06 pm So, does anyone here remember an old 'camp song' (not sure really, where I heard it).... but in this goofy song there is a part where a gun is being loaded and the line "and buuUUUuuullets" is spoken...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Don't remember that one. When I was a scout we used to sing the County Joe McDonald song "and it's 1, 2, 3 what are we fighting for ".....
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So my daughter is excited for some reason to be getting a cast because she fell on her left hand while skateboarding and her wrist may be broken. Under normal circumstances we probably would go to our local urgent care for quick x-rays and a splint but we were quite concerned about going into an urgent care facility because of the possibility of exposure to someone coming in due to covid-19. Luckily for us she's 13 so she gets to go to Boston Children's which drastically reduces the chance of exposure. That said, a trip to the hospital is a little different these days with just mom going instead of both of us (she's the physician. On the other hand she's also the sole income source so perhaps in retrospect maybe I should have taken her), masks packed for wife and daughter and wife is also bringing the N95 mask if she thinks there might be a need for it. We're not wearing those masks daily since they're the version with a valve but for this instance she's bringing a cloth mask to wear over it so the valve is covered.

Again as these things go I'm glad my daughter is being a real trooper about it and hope she gets a pick of colors for the cast. Also really thankful that she's going to Boston Children's instead of a regular hospital with adults. Granted the numbers in MA have been on a downward trend but we are still really vigilant with our behaviors because viruses are crafty buggers.

Edit: Got a picture from the family and the hospital provides masks which makes sense for standardization. Hope they're seen quick and are out of there soon!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:56 pm (she's the physician. On the other hand she's also the sole income source so perhaps in retrospect maybe I should have taken her)
First, I wanted to make a 'On the other hand' joke here, connected to the broken wrist - but I can't do it - try as I might.

Second, technically speaking you and your wife are likely to share what ever you both catch, so it probably irrelevant who actually went - but keeping it to "1 roll of the dice" is still wise.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:31 pm I was just posting in the Horizon Zero Dawn thread that I was thinking about buying it for PC despite having the complete edition for PS4 and it made me think for a moment about why that is. ps4 = power recliner, 110" screen in a blackout room and 7.1 surround system, pc = firm gaming chair, 34" screen and $30 stereo speakers. Why the hell would I choose the PC version?
Not having to use a controller, ability to use mods, better graphics with better hardware, not fighting others for the TV - the list goes on. :)

But sure, better chairs too. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:09 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:31 pm I was just posting in the Horizon Zero Dawn thread that I was thinking about buying it for PC despite having the complete edition for PS4 and it made me think for a moment about why that is. ps4 = power recliner, 110" screen in a blackout room and 7.1 surround system, pc = firm gaming chair, 34" screen and $30 stereo speakers. Why the hell would I choose the PC version?
Not having to use a controller, ability to use mods, better graphics with better hardware, not fighting others for the TV - the list goes on. :)

But sure, better chairs too. :)

Not having to use a controller - I would be using controller playing it on PC as well
ability to use mods - I don't, in general, use mods.
better graphics with better hardware - PS4 Pro + 4k projector; if the graphics were better I likely wouldn't notice
not fighting others for the TV - the media room is mine, we also have two good size TVs and 3 Gaming PCs, plenty to go around

So yeah, pretty much the chairs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Frakkin hell.....itch itch....got tiny tick bites ...itch itch....and poison oak...itch...while mowing and weed eating yesterday. That damn tick bite on my back STILL itches and its been 2 months!

EDIT: Found my prescription of anti itch antihistamine pills. Work some...make me sleepy some. So maybe win win. Im going to bed now.