[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:06 pm Wow, didn't think they'd actually go through with it. Fans have been asking for a spinoff ever since the 2nd season but never thought it would actually materialize. I always thought Anson Mount was an inspired choice to play Pike.
Mount fits the Star Trek TOS (like) universe quite well. Since Discovery is breaking away from the lore of ST thanks to the last season finale, this will be a great way to keep going with the stuff fans really like to see.

Rebecca Romijn wasn’t worth keeping though. She was pretty much cardboard background in her few scenes.

Although I’m also really looking forward to the new season of Discovery. I’ve always been curious about a Starfleet crew with the Starfleet ethos in a universe that possibly doesn’t remember them.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hah! Just finished Discovery and canceled All Access the day before my free trial ended. Take that, CBS.

All in all, it's a good show, and I look forward to seeing season 3, although I think "Boldly Go" stands to be better. The next time they have a couple new seasons of any ST series, I'll take another free month.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 pm Hah! Just finished Discovery and canceled All Access the day before my free trial ended. Take that, CBS.

All in all, it's a good show, and I look forward to seeing season 3, although I think "Boldly Go" stands to be better. The next time they have a couple new seasons of any ST series, I'll take another free month.
FWIW, I canceled yesterday and today was offered a free month. So worst case, it appears that if you pay for a month now, you'll get two.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There's just nothing else on CBS that I want to see. We get "live" TV with "DVR" capability thru YouTube, so we're already covered if they ever run something good.

I am mildly interested in their Twilight Zone reboot and might try that the next time I warp in for some ST. Wasn't worth paying $6 to check it out this time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:15 pm Hah! Just finished Discovery and canceled All Access the day before my free trial ended. Take that, CBS.
You're like the Moriarty of Media!
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it’s Final Space without the humor?
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hmm, that was not encouraging. I don't think I'll reactivate All Access just for that, but I'll watch it when the next season of Discovery comes out.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I can't even view that for some reason, but looking at that thumbnail, the animation style looks rather... juvenile? There was one time when I was a bigger Trek fan where I would have wanted a Lower Decks series, but this just looks awful.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

*Shrug* I found it fine, somewhat funny (I laughed at the last bit with the phaser) and there are plenty of Trek references. And while I generally don't like silly Trek episodes, I think if I go into this not taking it seriously and thinking of it as Space Quest or Futurama (if not as funny), I'll enjoy it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Obviously I can't make a final decision based on a trailer that's only a few minutes long, so I'm being somewhat facetious. However, the resemblance to Final Space in both look and tone is pretty pronounced. Although what I saw in that video seemed to be mostly dad humor (if I may use that term). I hope I'm wrong though and they have either a good story or better jokes....or, and I'm really reaching for the stars here, both.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That was... not good. I'd actually like to see a show about the rank-and-file of Starfleet, but this looks to be a bridge too far for me. Just didn't feel like it belonged in the Trek universe.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:25 pm That was... not good. I'd actually like to see a show about the rank-and-file of Starfleet, but this looks to be a bridge too far for me. Just didn't feel like it belonged in the Trek universe.
Seems like a comedy set in the Star Trek universe. It's definitely different from the usual tone of Trek, to be sure, but at the same time I welcome people taking different creative shots with the base material. If it doesn't pan out, then it doesn't pan out.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I have zero issues with trying something new within the Star Trek universe. I loved Picard and what they did, for example.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 pm Oh, I have zero issues with trying something new within the Star Trek universe. I loved Picard and what they did, for example.
I know, I was more responding to Zaxxon saying that it didn't seem like something that belonged in the Trek universe (which is a sentiment that I've seen elsewhere with some of the newer Trek stuff, especially re: Discovery). Which I do get to some degree - Star Trek does have a central tone and ethos which you have to be careful with when pushing new boundaries. But I'm just saying that I think we're better off if we reward creativity and risk taking within Star Trek canon, even if some of the results are inevitably going to be turds.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:08 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 pm Oh, I have zero issues with trying something new within the Star Trek universe. I loved Picard and what they did, for example.
I know, I was more responding to Zaxxon saying that it didn't seem like something that belonged in the Trek universe (which is a sentiment that I've seen elsewhere with some of the newer Trek stuff, especially re: Discovery). Which I do get to some degree - Star Trek does have a central tone and ethos which you have to be careful with when pushing new boundaries. But I'm just saying that I think we're better off if we reward creativity and risk taking within Star Trek canon, even if some of the results are inevitably going to be turds.
I hear you, but I wasn't just referring to it being a comedy. More that it appears to be a dumb comedy. :)

It's just a trailer, so perhaps my take on it will prove to be terribly wrong. But I didn't even find it funny, and to be unfunny *and* largely against the tone set by every other Star Trek property I'm familiar with is not a good combo.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll wait for reviews. Personally, I'd welcome a good Trek based comedy, and the crewmen behind the scenes seems like a good concept for that. Hell, there have been a number of Trek episodes that played for laughs (anything from DS9 that centered on the Ferengi was essentially a comedy.) From the trailer, though, I agree with Zaxxon. They seem to be missing the mark. It doesn't feel like it fits.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If it reassures you at all, my 10yo is how I found about it...

So yeah, not subscribing for that, even though I did find the trailer mildly amusing. So much of what I watch these days is sooo serious and so dark a little silly comedy wouldn't hurt.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill stick to Tripping the Rift. Darth Bobo was awesome..and Six :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I've been watching DS9 and it's got me hankering for more Trek. I don't know if Discovery is the next place to go?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Eel Snave wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 am I've been watching DS9 and it's got me hankering for more Trek. I don't know if Discovery is the next place to go?
What have you seen already? Had you seen DS9 before?

FWIW I think DS9 is the best Trek of all time (at least once the Dominion arc sets in), so almost anything is a step down. That said, I liked Discovery quite a bit, though that feeling is not universal I think.

If you're coming at this fresh, I think the next logical step would be to find a list of classic original series and Next Generation episodes and work through those.
Black Lives Matter.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I've watched about 30% of TOS, 60% of TNG (mostly the highlights), watched first-run Voyager for about three years until I decided it was terrible, and not a drop of Enterprise.
Downwards Compatible
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Then I'd suggest watching Discovery and then Picard. They are both interesting because they (particularly Discovery) have a bit of a tonal shift from previous Trek, but I think they do a good job making the characters more like actual people (as opposed to Starfleet Officer Who Is Smart, Starfleet Officer Who Is Reckless, etc.) while sticking to the general ethos of Star Trek (and the main character in Discovery has a great arc over the first season towards embracing Starfleet morals).
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd recommend finishing up TOS and TNG before moving on. There's quite a few easter eggs in Picard that reward those who were fans of TNG, as well as adding more layers of poignancy to the story in Picard.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm I'd recommend finishing up TOS and TNG before moving on. There's quite a few easter eggs in Picard that reward those who were fans of TNG, as well as adding more layers of poignancy to the story in Picard.
I'd agree. And while Voyager had a few moments, it was never 'good' Trek. I always thought Enterprise was underrated, though, especially later on.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm I'd recommend finishing up TOS and TNG before moving on. There's quite a few easter eggs in Picard that reward those who were fans of TNG, as well as adding more layers of poignancy to the story in Picard.
I'd agree. And while Voyager had a few moments, it was never 'good' Trek. I always thought Enterprise was underrated, though, especially later on.
Once again, I endorse Blackhawk's opinion. Although I am planning to re-watch Voyager with the wife once we finish up TNG (ending S6 this week).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In theory I'd agree, but 70% of TOS and 40% of TNG is what, maybe 80 hours of stuff? If he's hit the classic episodes, I'm not sure it's worth going through all the rest of it instead of just going ahead with Discovery.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 pm
In theory I'd agree, but 70% of TOS and 40% of TNG is what, maybe 80 hours of stuff? If he's hit the classic episodes, I'm not sure it's worth going through all the rest of it instead of just going ahead with Discovery.
1) 80 hours or more of classic Trek? Why is this a problem???? :P

2) As for whether or not it's worth it to sit through all that, see number 1 above.

I love Discovery, don't get me wrong. But man, I envy someone not having enjoyed all the TOS and TNG stuff that came before it. With both TOS and TNG available in HD with revamped special effects in many cases, and also available on Netflix and Amazon for streaming, I would be in heaven. :wub:
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 pm
But how will his Trek experience be complete without encountering Geordi as a sexual predator, Wesley Crusher on the Planet of the Nearly-Naked Hotties Where Minor Transgressions Are Punishable By Death™, Troi being raped and forced to carry the child of an alien, or Beverly Crusher seduced by the ghost of her grandmother's lover?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And your fan fiction for all that is still available on the OO secret FTP site if he wants supplemental material!
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you don't watch the rest, at least watch Measure of a Man from TNG and the TNG films (especially the last one) before you watch Picard.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:01 pm If you don't watch the rest, at least watch Measure of a Man from TNG and the TNG films (especially the last one) before you watch Picard.
That's the biggest one relevant to Picard the show, but I'd also say to watch The Inner Light, Darmok, The Battle, Best of Both Worlds, Family, Tapestry, All Good Things, and I, Borg, as well.
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm And your fan fiction for all that is still available on the OO secret FTP site if he wants supplemental material!
True statement.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:15 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:01 pm If you don't watch the rest, at least watch Measure of a Man from TNG and the TNG films (especially the last one) before you watch Picard.
That's the biggest one relevant to Picard the show, but I'd also say to watch The Inner Light, Darmok, The Battle, Best of Both Worlds, Family, Tapestry, All Good Things, and I, Borg, as well.
Absolutely. If you're going to go that far, I'd add Datalore and Descent.

All should be watched in order.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Oh, I've watched all the touchstone TNG episodes. Hell, I watched the one where everyone on the Enterprise de-evolves, or the one where Worf has his spine destroyed by a barrel. I was watching when it was first run and caught a lot of them in reruns.
Downwards Compatible
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Eel Snave wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:59 am I've watched about 30% of TOS, 60% of TNG (mostly the highlights), watched first-run Voyager for about three years until I decided it was terrible, and not a drop of Enterprise.
While I put Voyager towards the bottom of Trek shows (the chemistry and some of the acting isn't great, and some of the writing is poor and less inspired and it also has one of the worst hours of televisions ever - AVOID THE EPISODE THRESHOLD!), the quality picks up around season 4. Not that every episode is a keeper, but it's probably worth watching the top 5-10 episodes from each season.

(Also, I will note that Voyagers first season is probably one of the better first seasons for a Trek show (OK, that's not saying much) and, in particular,
Spoiler:
I liked the story arc with seska
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 pm AVOID THE EPISODE THRESHOLD!
Enlarge Image

THREE MUTANT OFFSPRING
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

My eyes, my eyes! :shock:
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

So my wife and I purposely watched Threshold last night. I must have seen it when it first aired but blocked out all memory of it. Our response was pretty much, "What the fuck?" My wife said that's the worse hour of sci-fi she's ever seen, and she's watched all of Doctor Who, so that's saying something.
Downwards Compatible
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

You were warned. I can't be blamed for the loss of brain cells as a result of watching that travesty.

she's watched all of Doctor Who, so that's saying something.
Hey! :tjg:

Unless you mean the new series, and in particular the Kill the Moon episode, in which, OK, fair enough.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

She's watched allllllll the Doctor Who. And I liked Kill the Moon! Kind of.

Anyway, I think we're going to dig in on Discovery after we finish DS9. Worth a shot, anyway.
Downwards Compatible