[series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jag

Re: [series] The Mandalorian ......Disney

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 am Katee Sackhoff Cast as Bo Katan in The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian's second season is going to have a stacked cast if all of these rumors pan out. New today is word that Katee Sackhoff will reprise her role as Bo-Katan Kryze, joining an expanding cast of established Star Wars characters now expected to join Din Djarin in his quest to protect The Child
Bo Katan and Ahsoka coming to live action is incredible. Dave Filoni is a freaking Jedi Master. He should be the Kevin Feige of Star Wars.

If you don't believe me watch the end of the 2nd episode of the Disney Gallery on the Mandalorian.

Filoni explains why the Duel of the Fates is the most important event in the prequels and one of the pivotal moments in all of Star Wars. And all the other Mandalorian directors are just looking at him in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vDAJu-XJU
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I started watching The Mandalorian last week. I'm now through six episodes and I don't think it's very good. The plot is bare boned, the writing is cliched, and even the action sequences are middling. The production values, however, are top notch. But if the show wasn't set in the Star Wars universe, I'm not sure I would've made it past the first episode. Hopefully something happens in the last two episodes to make the story more interesting (I haven't read through this thread yet).

The biggest impact of the show on me so far is that it has made me angry that there isn't a good Star Wars bounty hunter video game, at least recently. It seems like the perfect set-up for a Privateer type, open world(s) game. Why isn't anyone making this game????
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

You might like it more if you think of it as a serial spaghetti western set in Star Wars universe. With a baby Yoda.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am You might like it more if you think of it as a serial spaghetti western set in Star Wars universe. With a baby Yoda.
What's not to love?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved The Mandalorian...and I'm not a big Star Wars fan. As folks say, it's a western set in the Star Wars universe with a superhero baby, Gus Fring and Werner Herzog. If you had an entertainment checklist, most of the boxes would be filled. As for the story, it's fine and serves the purpose of driving our (anti)hero along his path.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:54 am
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am You might like it more if you think of it as a serial spaghetti western set in Star Wars universe. With a baby Yoda.
What's not to love?
Did you not see RW's post? I thought one of the conclusions of this thread is that people who had his concerns liked it more when they reframed it as such.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
What's not to love?
Did you not see RW's post? I thought one of the conclusions of this thread is that people who had his concerns liked it more when they reframed it as such.
I wasn't being pithy. I seriously don't know what's not to love about a serial spaghetti western set in the Star Wars universe, with a baby Yoda.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It seems like they're doing the bare minimum to keep the story moving, although there isn't much of a through-line so far. Basically it's just the Mandalorian going from one completely separate adventure to another. That would be fine if each episode told an interesting story, but the last few at least have by-the-numbers episodes filled with cliches; there really haven't been any twists or interesting characters. But, as I said, the visuals and effects are nice. And I will admit that Baby Yoda is pretty cute (though so far he's barely done anything interesting).
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am It seems like they're doing the bare minimum to keep the story moving, although there isn't much of a through-line so far. Basically it's just the Mandalorian going from one completely separate adventure to another. That would be fine if each episode told an interesting story, but the last few at least have by-the-numbers episodes filled with cliches; there really haven't been any twists or interesting characters. But, as I said, the visuals and effects are nice. And I will admit that Baby Yoda is pretty cute (though so far he's barely done anything interesting).
Did Jeff hijack your account?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 am
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
What's not to love?
I wasn't being pithy. I seriously don't know what's not to love about a serial spaghetti western set in the Star Wars universe, with a baby Yoda.
I read it as non pithy.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am It seems like they're doing the bare minimum to keep the story moving, although there isn't much of a through-line so far. Basically it's just the Mandalorian going from one completely separate adventure to another. That would be fine if each episode told an interesting story, but the last few at least have by-the-numbers episodes filled with cliches; there really haven't been any twists or interesting characters. But, as I said, the visuals and effects are nice. And I will admit that Baby Yoda is pretty cute (though so far he's barely done anything interesting).
You should watch the last two episodes.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I injected pithy into it via some funny voices. But I had to work hard at it as I thought it was innocent enough to begin with.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am But, as I said, the visuals and effects are nice.
When you're done with the series, look up how they did it on Youtube. It's pretty neat.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am
Did Jeff hijack your account?
Maybe we all become a bit more like Jeff as we get older, although I haven't yet felt compelled to visit strip bars... :think:

But maybe the last two episodes will change my outlook on the whole series. I'll find out soon enough!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sometimes wish I hadn't made the JeffV list. The poor guy gets too much grief for being overly critical to this day. Even from me. Sorry Jeff! :wink:
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If the series was simply Werner Herzog talking to and about baby Yoda, I probably would enjoy it more.
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

There's a six/ seven episode BTS series called Mandalorian gallery on disney+ that's reeeeally great. Each episode focuses on a different aspect. Legacy, directors, actors, puppets, tech, music etc.
Feloni quickly becomes beloved character even if you've never heard of him. The directors are fascinating, the actors have fun stories, Favreau is a GENIUS producer/director, kind of a dick. All the different craftsmen are endlessly entertaining. The baby is a star as usual. The live LED Volume is mind blowing

There's a moment in the music episode that epitomized the artistry and craftsmanship that seems to be the throughline and collaboration of the whole project. The composer is this young super talented hippy garage band kid. Just seemingly totally out of place. He keeps talking in these overly artistic terms and playing all these obscure instruments in his yurt looking studio. Then like fifteen minutes in he tells this story about how Favreau in early talks explained what the show would eventually be. And he dead pans "oh you want a spaghetti western, with futurist instrumentation and color, but with Starwars brand orchestra as the undercurrent". All of which he could manipulate and play. As a designer it just clicked as a perfect description of how the creative process that looks like shamanism to people who don't understand the process is just trade craft with your own creativity to the artist.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

"Young super talented hippy garage band kid" is a hell of a way to describe Ludwig Göransson.
Hodor.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

pr0ner wrote:"Young super talented hippy garage band kid" is a hell of a way to describe Ludwig Göransson.
Fair, he's awesome. For the first half of the episode he's in t-shirts and flip-flops sitting on bean bags playing a variety of recorders.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 am
pr0ner wrote:"Young super talented hippy garage band kid" is a hell of a way to describe Ludwig Göransson.
Fair, he's awesome. For the first half of the episode he's in t-shirts and flip-flops sitting on bean bags playing a variety of recorders.
I honestly never really thought about him that way (because he's done SO MUCH, including all his Childish Gambino writing/producing), but when you see him in his studio, you descriptor really fits.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 am You should watch the last two episodes.
Watched the last two episodes last night.

Episode 7 was my favorite of the season: it tied a lot of the stories together and moved the plot forward. Plus, giant pterosaurs carrying off huge animals and people was cool.

Episode 8 started well: the opening scene was great. But the rest of the episode was pretty blah, full of people doing things that didn't make sense. And it was pretty disappointing that this hyped up gun (E-net?) was just basically a gatling gun that didn't seem much different or more powerful than plenty of other weapons we've already seen. :coffee:

Still, as always, the visuals and effects were great. I'm sure I'll watch season 2 eventually (assuming I can still mooch Disney+ off my brother), but there are plenty of other shows I'm more excited about.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 am And it was pretty disappointing that this hyped up gun (E-net?) was just basically a gatling gun that didn't seem much different or more powerful than plenty of other weapons we've already seen.
I think my perception of the E-Web has been distorted by Imperial Assault.

Look at all those attack dice!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 am And it was pretty disappointing that this hyped up gun (E-net?) was just basically a gatling gun that didn't seem much different or more powerful than plenty of other weapons we've already seen.
I think my perception of the E-Web has been distorted by Imperial Assault.

Look at all those attack dice!
I completely nerded out when I saw that weapon due to my Imperial Assault games.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am If the series was simply Werner Herzog talking to and about baby Yoda, I probably would enjoy it more.
If they've got Herzog on contract and they don't use him to do ALL of the special-edition commentary tracks, they're wasting pure gold.

[Herzog]
"Here is our first glimpse of a so-called Storm Trooper, the person of the storm, the embodiment not of the power of the Empire--for what is power, really?--but of the acquiescence to power by those who become its... willing... agents, and who then in turn find their human agency constrained and thus inscribed--thus, written--by the requirements and the constraints of the discourse of that power... Is it any wonder, any wonder at all, that the Storm Trooper's effectiveness in this media of Science Fiction cinema, now televisualized, consists neither in the accuracy of his blaster [droll chuckle] NOR in the apparent infinitude of his numbers, but in the impassivity--indeed, the passivity--of the mask that does not cover but is the essence as well as the appearance of his face?"
[/Herzog]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There’s a horror comedy from a few years ago called Freaks of Nature. At one point we find out aliens are involved and the townspeople are confronted by their giant leader. The alien leader asks if the townspeople have any questions, and the first one is “why do you sound like Werner Herzog?”. After that, that was the only question they would ask him, until he eventually went ballistic. I loved that scene.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Finally watched this, since we got a month of Disney+ to watch Hamilton. Really enjoyed it. Kind of made me sad / frustrated all over about Episodes VII - IX, because while they had their moments, they were really just inconsistent retreads of the original movies. Whereas the Mandalorian is really the kind of stuff I was looking for from the new movies - new stories centered around the New Republic and the aftermath of the Empire.

Anyway, good stuff. One question I did have re: the sixth episode, where Mando and a group of mercenaries break onto a prison ship:
Spoiler:
Soooo... the big security failsafe for the prison ship is a tracker remote that if pressed immediately summons a New Republic squadron to attack? And it seems like the squadron just immediately blows up whatever the tracker is on? Seems like a poor system. Like, when the squadron jumps in and sees a space station and not a prison ship, shouldn't they, like, ask a few questions before blowing up the space station?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats with the weirdos online attacking Gina? I dont have Disney so dont watch but from stuff Ive seen she is great. Always liked her. I think it was about something nice she said online though. Weirdos.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:09 pm Whats with the weirdos online attacking Gina? I dont have Disney so dont watch but from stuff Ive seen she is great. Always liked her. I think it was about something nice she said online though. Weirdos.
You mean this stuff? Seems like standard internet garbage.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 pm Finally watched this, since we got a month of Disney+ to watch Hamilton. Really enjoyed it. Kind of made me sad / frustrated all over about Episodes VII - IX, because while they had their moments, they were really just inconsistent retreads of the original movies. Whereas the Mandalorian is really the kind of stuff I was looking for from the new movies - new stories centered around the New Republic and the aftermath of the Empire.

Anyway, good stuff. One question I did have re: the sixth episode, where Mando and a group of mercenaries break onto a prison ship:
Spoiler:
Soooo... the big security failsafe for the prison ship is a tracker remote that if pressed immediately summons a New Republic squadron to attack? And it seems like the squadron just immediately blows up whatever the tracker is on? Seems like a poor system. Like, when the squadron jumps in and sees a space station and not a prison ship, shouldn't they, like, ask a few questions before blowing up the space station?
They got their training in Portland.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 pm Finally watched this, since we got a month of Disney+ to watch Hamilton. Really enjoyed it. Kind of made me sad / frustrated all over about Episodes VII - IX, because while they had their moments, they were really just inconsistent retreads of the original movies. Whereas the Mandalorian is really the kind of stuff I was looking for from the new movies - new stories centered around the New Republic and the aftermath of the Empire.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
So, think of it as kinda like a Life Alert service, but in this case - if you press the button it’s assumed you are calling in a massive attack at your location. No questions asked.

Where the beacon is, doesn’t matter.
Prison Ship, Enemy Spacecraft, friendly HQ...

Yeah, it doesn’t make any real sense
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Season 2 Trailer

Can't wait!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

IN.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was late to the original party, but am ALL IN for that. Looks awesome.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Absolutely adore the Baby Yoda scene in the arena. Well done!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Freyland wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:50 pm Absolutely adore the Baby Yoda scene in the arena. Well done!
That hoverpram is not only cute, but quite functional in a skirmish!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ewan McGregor Wore the Obi-Wan Kenobi Costume on The Mandalorian Set
It still hasn't been announced as to when the Obi-Wan Kenobi series will arrive on Disney+, but we do know that Deborah Chow will be directing and Joby Harold will be writing the limited series following the show reportedly going on hold after Lucasfilm president and Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy was reportedly not happy with the current scripts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Season off to a fun start. Nice surprise to see Timothy Olyphant

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched S2E1. Very well done, lots of fun, every inch a Western.

But... [minor general spoiler, no plot secrets]
Spoiler:
It really was a "Monster of the Week" episode, with no advance in any overall arc that I could see.

There's a shot at the end that my StarWars-aficionado kids inform me is VERY VERY significant, but I wasn't able to see anything in it without their explanation. Presumably the next episode will make it plain to the casual viewer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Loved it, but
Spoiler:
Seems silly that no one thought to strap a bunch of explosives to a bantha before this.
Covfefe!