[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

I am most definitely not a clean freak, not even in this environment. I hate hand sanitizers (they make me feel even more dirty) and wiping everything down, even if I'm all about not touching anything currently seem to wash my hands and use paper towel to open the door every time a bathroom (which is very new to me).
None of that matters. If you like following rules and explaining details, where' we're going we won't need eyes to see...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:08 pm None of that matters. If you like following rules and explaining details, where' we're going we won't need eyes to see...
I don't like doing it. Following rules because that is what you do has screwed me and mine time and again and I often catch myself over explaining and have to reel and feel lost, as if the other can't function if they don't understand, when all they want and or worse all they need is to make it go. On the super rare occasion I read the room correctly, I have to consciously break compulsion.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Finally killed the moron but that gun didn't seem to do much to stop him for a bit.
That's pretty typical of how shootings work in real life. Adrenaline hides the pain, and you have to wait until blood loss slows them down unless you get a hit in the central nervous system or heart. It's why guns are often bad defenses against knives, too. You can shoot a knife attacker at close range and they still have time to carve you up.
I guess due to movies I was expecting to see blood start pouring or him react in some way to the shots such as staggering. Nothing until he kinda slumps over and gets his weapon again.
I've seen lots of surveillance cam footage of shootouts and I was startled to see how many people still run around and continue to shoot back after they've been shot from up close and even shot multiple times. The ones who drop immediately are head shots or the ones who get shot and the bullet hits the spinal cord. I don't own a gun but if I did and I ever had to shoot someone in self defense I'm unloading the gun into them, that's the lesson I learned.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK COVID has finally hit me indirectly in an impactful way... Our upstairs A/C unit went out Monday. You know, upstairs where my children sleep. We managed to get an appt for this afternoon to get some freon to hold us over until a replacement could be ordered and installed (for like $5k). We just got a call that the tech was exposed and now they have to cancel all of their appts. During the day my son's room is my office as it is away from the other PCs where kids are playing games or watching youtube and has a big enough desk for me to work.

It's 93 outside right now, and around 85 in this room and luckily the forecast for the next few days is only upper 90s (and overnight lows around 80) so not that bad right? Jeezus it's hot.

I assume the extended stress on the downstairs unit will kill that in short order. :P At that point we just die (or stay with the in-laws... not sure which I prefer).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's why nearly all combat training tells you to aim for the center of mass. That's where the largest concentration of one-hit locations are located, and if your recoil moves your aim point up, you're moving from the chest to the neck to the head. Head shots are rarely trained as a primary target, as the target is a fraction of the size if the torso, and tends to move a lot more. The only time headshots come into play is when you have body armor preventing quick stopping shots.

Some elite units reportedly train themselves for headshots as a primary target, but they train with thousands of rounds of ammunition per week, something that is beyond the reach of most people.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Update on the 3-week rotation NC school re-opening (1 week on campus, 2 weeks remote).

- Siblings will be on same schedule (this was my biggest fear, and very happy they addressed it)
- They are offering 100% remote learning for parents who choose not to send their kids back.

With our kids already in daycare, we're not putting them at any more risk sending them to school 1 out of every 3 weeks. Actually the school safety standards are higher than the daycare, so we feel that they'll be safer than they are now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I feel like the 1 week in is for teachers or something. Totally useless as health control. Any exposure is still a risk. Should do full remote learning or none.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:54 pm I feel like the 1 week in is for teachers or something. Totally useless as health control. Any exposure is still a risk. Should do full remote learning or none.
Bar napkin math, but it seems like the rotation idea would help prevent cascading infections causing more infections causing more, etc. By the time it’s time for the next in-person week, enough time has passed for any infections from the previous week to have shown themselves, or for mild cases, run their course.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Are you also rotating the whole school staff (teacher, custodians, lunch ladies, etc.? Because two weeks of silent spread from a- or pre-symptomatic can very well infect any static constants and then everyone still gets it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:55 pm OK COVID has finally hit me indirectly in an impactful way... Our upstairs A/C unit went out Monday. You know, upstairs where my children sleep. We managed to get an appt for this afternoon to get some freon to hold us over until a replacement could be ordered and installed (for like $5k). We just got a call that the tech was exposed and now they have to cancel all of their appts. During the day my son's room is my office as it is away from the other PCs where kids are playing games or watching youtube and has a big enough desk for me to work.

It's 93 outside right now, and around 85 in this room and luckily the forecast for the next few days is only upper 90s (and overnight lows around 80) so not that bad right? Jeezus it's hot.

I assume the extended stress on the downstairs unit will kill that in short order. :P At that point we just die (or stay with the in-laws... not sure which I prefer).
Or maybe buy window units for the bedrooms.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:I feel like the 1 week in is for teachers or something. Totally useless as health control. Any exposure is still a risk. Should do full remote learning or none.
It's a compromise solution that allows kids some on-site learning (which pediatricians acknowledge as very important), but also allows the school to maintain only 1/3 of its student population at any given time allowing for social distanced classrooms, etc.

As far as rotating staff, that's unclear at this point but the superintendent did say kids may have 2-3 teachers, or differing teachers between onsite and remote learning.

The superintendent also stated that schools would be flexible. If this goes south, they will transition to 100% remote.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

on-site learning (which pediatricians acknowledge as very important)
How so? I mean is it a mental thing or a learning thing or social thing? And does that put fully home schooled at some disadvantage?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm
on-site learning (which pediatricians acknowledge as very important)
How so? I mean is it a mental thing or a learning thing or social thing? And does that put fully home schooled at some disadvantage?
Research Shows Students Falling Months Behind During Virus Disruptions
NYTimes.com wrote:While a nation of burned-out, involuntary home schoolers slogs to the finish line of a disrupted academic year, a picture is emerging of the extent of the learning loss among children in America, and the size of the gaps schools will be asked to fill when they reopen.

It is not pretty.

New research suggests that by September, most students will have fallen behind where they would have been if they had stayed in classrooms, with some losing the equivalent of a full school year’s worth of academic gains. Racial and socioeconomic achievement gaps will most likely widen because of disparities in access to computers, home internet connections and direct instruction from teachers.

And the crisis is far from over. The harm to students could grow if schools continue to teach fully or partly online in the fall, or if they reopen with significant budget cuts because of the economic downturn. High school dropout rates could increase, researchers say, while younger children could miss out on foundational concepts in phonics and fractions that prepare them for a lifetime of learning and working.

Teachers across the country share such worries. In Aurora, Colo., outside Denver, Clint Silva, a seventh-grade social studies teacher, was planning to spend the spring working with his students on research skills. For one remote assignment, he asked them to create a primary source about the pandemic that future historians could consult.

But a majority of his students have not consistently engaged with remote assignments. They are not receiving traditional grades, and some have parents who are working outside the home or who are not tech-savvy, and are unable to assist with online schooling.

“We know this isn’t a good way to teach,” Mr. Silva said. “We want to hold kids accountable. We want to see their progress, be in the classroom with them and see them struggle and overcome that. Instead, we are logging in for an hour a day, and kids are turning their cameras off and staying quiet and not talking to us.”

Research can now estimate the size of the learning loss students have experienced under such conditions. Because regular standardized testing has been suspended, some of the research uses past disruptions to learning — such as natural disasters or even summer break — to project the potential impact of the current crisis. Other studies look at schools that used online learning software before the coronavirus shutdown, and check to see how students performed using the same programs from home.

The average student could begin the next school year having lost as much as a third of the expected progress from the previous year in reading and half of the expected progress in math, according to a working paper from NWEA, a nonprofit organization, and scholars at Brown University and the University of Virginia.

A separate analysis of 800,000 students from researchers at Brown and Harvard looked at how Zearn, an online math program, was used both before and after schools closed in March. It found that through late April, student progress in math decreased by about half in classrooms located in low-income ZIP codes, by a third in classrooms in middle-income ZIP codes and not at all in classrooms in high-income ZIP codes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sure is a lot of guessing going on there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 pm Sure is a lot of guessing going on there.
Because we don't have all of the data yet. The secret is to listen to the guesses from highly experienced, highly educated, well respected experts that are basing their guesses on the data we do have, and disregard the guesses from conspiracy nuts, politicians with an agenda, and Uncle Frank (who'll tell you all about it on Thanksgiving) who are basing their guesses on what they 'feel', what they read on Facebook, or what benefits them the most.

If your arm starts to turn black and there were no hospitals, would you listen to a guess from a doctor, or a guess from a fry cook?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wait until Halloween gets cancelled.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont even trust the CDC any longer. Seem to just be Trump kissers. This whole COVID thing has made me doubt so much about this country and it's people. Stuff Ive thought my entire life.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 pm Wait until Halloween gets cancelled.
We cancelled our neighborhood 5K and Halloween parade back in May. The idea of bringing a few thousand people to the neighborhood seemed, and still seems, the height of irresponsibility. Even in October.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Wait until 2021 gets cancelled and we're stuck in 2020 for another year.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:23 pm I dont even trust the CDC any longer. Seem to just be Trump kissers. This whole COVID thing has made me doubt so much about this country and it's people. Stuff Ive thought my entire life.
Well since Trump is trying to silence the CDC, it probably means the CDC has something valuable to offer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There's a hidden cost for some students not being in school that a lot of people don't think about, but my wife is all too familiar with since she works so closely with students. And that's prevalence of sexual/physical abuse while the student is stuck at home. Sometimes school is the only way these kids can escape from abuse for awhile, or be around any kind of adult figures who care for them or pay them any attention. And for an even greater number of students, school is the only place they get something to eat.

My wife works for a solidly middle/upper middle-class elementary school which has an extremely high level of parent engagement, volunteering, PTA, etc. And I'm still astounded at the number of cases she's aware of in which the student lives with abuse, neglect, hunger, etc. I can't imagine what it's like for schools in with predominantly lower-class populations.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:31 pm Wait until 2021 gets cancelled and we're stuck in 2020 for another year.
The 2021 Rose Parade has already been cancelled.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:01 am There's a hidden cost for some students not being in school that a lot of people don't think about, but my wife is all too familiar with since she works so closely with students. And that's prevalence of sexual/physical abuse while the student is stuck at home. Sometimes school is the only way these kids can escape from abuse for awhile, or be around any kind of adult figures who care for them or pay them any attention. And for an even greater number of students, school is the only place they get something to eat.

My wife works for a solidly middle/upper middle-class elementary school which has an extremely high level of parent engagement, volunteering, PTA, etc. And I'm still astounded at the number of cases she's aware of in which the student lives with abuse, neglect, hunger, etc. I can't imagine what it's like for schools in with predominantly lower-class populations.
This was a focus early on here. So many CPS kids depend on schools for food and safety. The first week schools were closed there were warnings sounded but it's faded into the background as everyone gets buried in more and more shit. Sadly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On my way to Walmart I passed our towns Health Dept. Ive never seen the parking lot full before. Plus they had a tent set up along the road and cars were lined up far as I could see. Must be COVID testing. Glad I wasn't there.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, they made masks mandatory in Arkansas.
I tired my mask on but could get it to work too well from my long hair and beard.
Maybe I'll go with a kerchief. Altho I have a hard time tieing it because of my long hair.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All the cool rednecks are wearing shemaghs this season.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

95% in Walmart today had no mask. Was mainly just me and the workers. All ages were there from 5 - 85 it looked like. Walmart starts enforcing masks I think Monday.

Im with Gump on this one..Stupid is as stupid does.

Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm Well, they made masks mandatory in Arkansas.
I tired my mask on but could get it to work too well from my long hair and beard.
Maybe I'll go with a kerchief. Altho I have a hard time tieing it because of my long hair.
You should be able to find something more comfortable on Etsy, like this 'Beardbag COVID Facemask for Men':

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With all the medical advice that boy Donald spits out you'd think he went to some crackpot medical school. I think Ill call him Dookie in the future. Dookie Howser.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 pm Wait until Halloween gets cancelled.
I'm kinda surprised at how many people are looking at this month to month. That is, back in May it was all about Memorial Day and what impact the pandemic might have on that. After that the concern was the Fourth of July. Now it's about opening schools in the fall. Then it'll be about Halloween.

Uh, maybe I'm a panicked outlier but I've already assumed that Thanksgiving/Xmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/New Year's will all be 'celebrated' during these pandemic conditions but I hear few people if any acknowledging this. That's not even counting what will happen if there is a large new seasonal surge in flu/cold/COVID-19 in the winter. If I was in a leadership position I'd be prepping the people for that now. Actually, I would have been prepping the people for that back in April when the writing was on the wall.

All this is pending what happens during the election of course. If that turns out to be a real shiatshow then it's possible no one is going to care about those holidays for awhile.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm
I'm kinda surprised at how many people are looking at this month to month.
it's some kind of psychological coping mechanism. also, i don't think most people are capable of looking/planning too far out in the future as it is. like back when people were being told oh we're closing for two weeks. ok well another two weeks. alright just a month more this time. no no another four weeks.... even when they knew it was going to be 12-18 months.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:17 pm
gameoverman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm
I'm kinda surprised at how many people are looking at this month to month.
it's some kind of psychological coping mechanism. also, i don't think most people are capable of looking/planning too far out in the future as it is. like back when people were being told oh we're closing for two weeks. ok well another two weeks. alright just a month more this time. no no another four weeks.... even when they knew it was going to be 12-18 months.
That makes sense to me. In my case I remember posting in one of threads here that I'd take the pandemic seriously when something really ominous happened like seeing all schools shut down for an indeterminate amount of time. Then in mid March the schools got shut down. The thing was they said it would be until the end of March then they'd re-evaluate. So it didn't sound too bad. Then April rolls around and it was clear the schools would not be reopening for the rest of the year. Around here the school year ends either late May or early June. If the schools weren't open by the end of April they obviously would not open for the rest of the year.

That's when I started to realize this was going to be the new norm. Plus experts have been saying that unless/until we get a vaccine or herd immunity, this is our new norm. It was kind of an unavoidable realization for me. Here we are going into late July and not only are we not in a better position than before, the damn thing is surging again. It's impossible for me to convince myself Thanksgiving, for example, is going to be normal this year.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm All this is pending what happens during the election of course. If that turns out to be a real shiatshow then it's possible no one is going to care about those holidays for awhile.
Since this isn't the R&P thread I'll hold myself to one sentence: The election will be a shitshow by design; maximizing chaos and fear is their strategy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its surging because a large part of the human race are idiots.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm I'm kinda surprised at how many people are looking at this month to month.
For me the goalpost has always been an effective vaccine. Now it seems several vaccines will be pushed out without proper vetting. I don't know how many caught it but on the news the other day (maybe MTP) it was suggested that initial vaccines will need frequent booster. I'm glad that was put out there, because a story earlier the week indicated that immunity dissipates over a couple of months and those who had it are susceptible to secondary infection within 2 months from the initial. That suggests that antibodies spawned with a vaccine might not have a very long lifespan.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 pm Its surging because a large part of the human race are idiots.