Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

As a Texas Tech alum, fuck that PotatoCity.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd give Jones a 20% - 30% chance of winning. It's uphill, but he is running as an incumbent in what's likely to be a pretty pro-Democratic environment. Crazier things have happened.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:11 pm I'd give Jones a 20% - 30% chance of winning. It's uphill, but he is running as an incumbent in what's likely to be a pretty pro-Democratic environment. Crazier things have happened.
Yeah, it's going to be tough. But Doug Jones has been incredibly impressive in voting his convictions time after time when he knew it would probably add up to political suicide.

Plus, the Alabama Dems are fighting hard for the first time in forever. That's going to mean things for down-ballot races, and for the future.

Also, I really do wonder how it will feel for my dad and MSD to vote for Auburn's coach...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I gotta give the Alabama GOP credit for managing to not run a pedophile as their candidate this time around.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Twitter hack leads to accounts for Joe Biden, Elon Musk, and others to tweet out a cryptocurrency scam. It looks like Twitter has removed blue check marks (authenticated users) for now. So many high profile accounts are affected that I suspect it is likely a hack that affected Twitter's back end authentication tools or intercepted clear text authentications somewhere in the application stack. It seems unlikely so many high profile managed accounts would have password issues but could be something stupid like a password stuffing attack. But that seems highly unlikely. I'm placing a quiet bet on a weak password reset mechanism.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:08 pm Twitter hack leads to accounts for Joe Biden, Elon Musk, and others to tweet out a cryptocurrency scam. It looks like Twitter has removed blue check marks (authenticated users) for now. So many high profile accounts are affected that I suspect it is likely a hack that affected Twitter's back end authentication tools or intercepted clear text authentications somewhere in the application stack. It seems unlikely so many high profile managed accounts would have password issues but could be something stupid like a password stuffing attack. But that seems highly unlikely. I'm placing a quiet bet on a weak password reset mechanism.
I didn't see Biden in the initial report I read, and I was looking for Trump's name.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:19 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:08 pm Twitter hack leads to accounts for Joe Biden, Elon Musk, and others to tweet out a cryptocurrency scam. It looks like Twitter has removed blue check marks (authenticated users) for now. So many high profile accounts are affected that I suspect it is likely a hack that affected Twitter's back end authentication tools or intercepted clear text authentications somewhere in the application stack. It seems unlikely so many high profile managed accounts would have password issues but could be something stupid like a password stuffing attack. But that seems highly unlikely. I'm placing a quiet bet on a weak password reset mechanism.
I didn't see Biden in the initial report I read, and I was looking for Trump's name.
Why would Putin want to do that to his puppet? :ninja:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:43 pm
If the hack gave people access to their DMs (and why wouldn't they) this could be a legendarily bad event for Twitter. As an aside I had just recently been in contact with Twitter about a position in their CyberSecurity strategy group. Nope. Nope. Nope.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:46 pm I gotta give the Alabama GOP credit for managing to not run a pedophile as their candidate this time around.
Just someone who enables them.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:46 pm I gotta give the Alabama GOP credit for managing to not run a pedophile as their candidate this time around.
Baby steps.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was my instinct.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:15 am
That was my instinct.
When all the neighbor's car's had their tires slashed in the middle of the night, but yours.... :ninja:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm
Baby steps.
I see what you did there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

One of my work friend's wife won the run-off and is the Democratic candidate for TX-24 to replace the retiring Republican Congressman (Kenny Marchant). He is both exited and sad (this may be me projecting, he hasn't actually SAID that he is sad) that campaign season continues. If elected she would be the first Afro-Latina in congress. She has a pretty amazing story, but the jump straight from School Board member to US House of Reps would be a pretty big one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pretty great timing. Best of luck to your friend.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sporting News, June 22nd
A picture of Gundy wearing an OAN shirt emerged last week and prompted many members his team to speak out against him on social media. OAN is anti-Black Lives Matter and regularly peddles conspiracy theories.

Following the picture incident, Gundy appeared in a video with running back Chuba Hubbard in which he walked back his support of OAN and pledged changes in his program. OAN isn't letting him distance himself without a fight, though, keeping a story the coach would like to put past him.

On Saturday, OAN correspondent Chanel Rion wore an Oklahoma State shirt to a Tulsa, Okla., rally for president Donald Trump and called out Gundy and Hubbard on Twitter, asking to interview them about "why exactly Hubbard and the rest of the team believes that OAN is 'disgusting.'"
WUSA, July 3rd
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy took a $1 million pay cut and had his contract shortened by a year as part of an internal review prompted by sharp criticism from his star running back for wearing a T-shirt promoting a far-right news channel.

Athletic director Mike Holder said Friday the adjustments to Gundy's contract were the coach's idea. Holder reiterated his belief Gundy has always treated Black players well a day after releasing a statement saying the review found “no sign or indication of racism” in the football program.

Two weeks ago, running back Chuba Hubbard lashed out at Gundy on social media for wearing a T-shirt promoting One America News Network. Hubbard, who is Black, suggested he may boycott the program; OANN has been critical of the Black Lives Matter movement.
Yahoo, July 16th
Mike Gundy got his infamous OAN T-shirt as a gift from the far-right network.

According to emails obtained by the Extra Point Newsletter, a representative for the cable news network reached out to send the Oklahoma State coach some free stuff after he praised the channel’s coverage in April. Gundy made those comments about the network when he said that players should return to campus so football could happen to “run money through the state of Oklahoma.”

Gundy’s coronavirus comments were roundly and understandably criticized so swiftly that Oklahoma State was forced to issue a statement afterward saying it would adhere to the advice of public health experts regarding coronavirus protocols.

Gundy immediately took OAN up on the offer and even said he would like a hat. He wore the shirt on a June 10 fishing trip that became public on social media on June 15.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is regarding some craziness going on in Portland lately:

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The crazy thing about that is that they say it's violent protest but seemingly all they point at is graffiti. That's a pretty big disconnect. Meanwhile they are essentially conducting an escalated and likely unconstitutional stop and frisk program. I don't know if this is "gestapo level" because they are releasing the people but there is reason to be alarmed by the incremental nature of their attacks on civil rights.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:45 am The crazy thing about that is that they say it's violent protest but seemingly all they point at is graffiti. That's a pretty big disconnect. Meanwhile they are essentially conducting an escalated and likely unconstitutional stop and frisk program. I don't know if this is "gestapo level" because they are releasing the people but there is reason to be alarmed by the incremental nature of their attacks on civil rights.
There are a lot more reasons in the DHS release than just graffiti. But regardless of the reasons it's a terrible look.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:51 am
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:45 am The crazy thing about that is that they say it's violent protest but seemingly all they point at is graffiti. That's a pretty big disconnect. Meanwhile they are essentially conducting an escalated and likely unconstitutional stop and frisk program. I don't know if this is "gestapo level" because they are releasing the people but there is reason to be alarmed by the incremental nature of their attacks on civil rights.
There are a lot more reasons in the DHS release than just graffiti. But regardless of the reasons it's a terrible look.
Ah, right. The full release mentions window/fence/random property damage. I was looking at the image above. The idea that graffiti/broken windows can only be defeated by unidentified officers in military gear pulling people into minivans to catch and release them would seem to be...I don't know...silly if it wasn't scary as fuck.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The conspiracy side of me sees this as a test. It's a probing attack to see how this will go over in urban concentrations. Expect a lot of "violent" graffiti in early November.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am
The conspiracy side of me sees this as a test. It's a probing attack to see how this will go over in urban concentrations. Expect a lot of "violent" graffiti in early November.
Well a US Senator responded to it and the media...ignored it so that's not great. This apparently isn't a pressing issue. The fact is that it is bad tv. You can't see a simple story end to end in real-time.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Do they fill in the reports from a code or drop down? Violent Anarchists Graffitied Violent Anarchists broke windows at 12 Violent Anarchists arrested
Holman

Post by Holman »

What is "anarchist" even doing in these statements?

Someone who vandalizes property is a property vandal, not an "anarchist." Even if they have an Anarchy tattoo and wear a Sacco and Vanzetti t-shirt and publish a magazine called Anarchy Today, that's not part of the vandalism.

This is political policing, not crime-control.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 amThis is political policing, not crime-control.
It's that and probably them trying to provoke anything that'll help the campaign. They are desperate to make something happen.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

An incident involving graffiti spray painted on a monument to those who fought in Adolf Hitler’s SS is being investigated as a hate crime by an Ontario police force.

Someone painted “Nazi war monument” on a stone cenotaph commemorating those who served with the 14th SS Division. The monument is located in Oakville in the St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Cemetery.
Bernie Farber of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network said there is a need for Halton Regional Police to better educate themselves on what constitutes a hate-motivated crime. “Yes, it’s destruction of property for sure,” Farber said of the graffiti on the monument. “But a hate crime? Far from it.”
link
malchior

Post by malchior »

Great video. It is a fantastic example of how a reporter asking a simple, framed question can prove a truth and also confirms that Huawei shouldn't be trusted.

Edit: Oops! Fixed. The moment I'm referring to starts around 1 minute in but it's quickly apparent she is just driving a stake in for the rest of the video.

Last edited by malchior on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:34 am Great video. It is a fantastic example of how a reporter asking a simple, framed question can prove a truth and also confirms that Huawei shouldn't be trusted.
Did I miss a video somewhere?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:44 am
malchior wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:34 am Great video. It is a fantastic example of how a reporter asking a simple, framed question can prove a truth and also confirms that Huawei shouldn't be trusted.
Did I miss a video somewhere?
I can only assume this is the wrong thread because I'm missing everything.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Never came close to answering the question. Wow.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Freyland wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am Never came close to answering the question. Wow.
Like he says, we may not be interested in his opinion (debatable), but we're sure interested in his ability to express one.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow. This one is crazy. Someone dressed up as a FedEx employee and attacked the home of a Federal judge.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

That's fucking horrible.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Global News Wire
DEUTSCHE BANK DEADLINE ALERT: Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses Exceeding $250,000 In Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft To Contact The Firm
The lawsuit has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey on behalf of all those who purchased Deutsche Bank securities between November 7, 2017 and July 6, 2020 (the “Class Period”). The case, Karimi v. Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft et al., No. 20-cv-08978 was filed on July 15, 2020, and has been assigned to Judge Esther Salas.

The lawsuit focuses on whether the Company and its executives violated federal securities laws by making false and/or misleading statements and/or failing to disclose that: (1) Deutsche Bank had failed to remediate deficiencies related to AML, its disclosure controls and procedures and internal control over financial reporting, and its U.S. operations’ troubled condition; (2) as a result, the Bank failed to properly monitor customers that the Bank itself deemed to be high risk, including, among others, the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein (“Epstein”) and two correspondent banks, Danske Estonia and FBME Bank, which were both the subjects of prior scandals involving financial misconduct; (3) the foregoing, once revealed, was foreseeably likely to have a material negative impact on the Bank’s financial results and reputation; and (4) as a result, the Bank’s public statements were materially false and misleading at all relevant times.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jesus that is terrifying.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Freyland wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm That's fucking horrible.
There was a case like that a couple miles from my home. Some guy did a poor impression of a UPS driver, complete with a "parcel" that had a gun sticking out the front end. Turned out that he was an ex-neighbor of the woman he killed. IDK what his beef with her was. She wasn't a federal judge, that's for sure.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:34 amGreat video. It is a fantastic example of how a reporter asking a simple, framed question can prove a truth and also confirms that Huawei shouldn't be trusted.
Watched the whole thing and it was delicious. If he once uttered a word against Chinese policies, he'd have been bounced out on his ass before he finished speaking and he knows it - that puts his company firmly under the Chinese thumb, and is all the reason anyone needs not to trust them. If you flip back and forth from beginning to end, he appears to glisten a little more by the end than he did at the beginning. I don't think he enjoyed this experience at all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 am
Freyland wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm That's fucking horrible.
There was a case like that a couple miles from my home. Some guy did a poor impression of a UPS driver, complete with a "parcel" that had a gun sticking out the front end. Turned out that he was an ex-neighbor of the woman he killed. IDK what his beef with her was. She wasn't a federal judge, that's for sure.
This was a couple of miles from me which is what caught my attention before it hit headline news. I got a ring neighborhood notification about it. :shock:

Anyway, most of these turn out to be some rando nut who was on the losing side of a lawsuit/criminal case. And as bad as it is to hope for any outcome at least that one isn't some further indication of a breakdown of our system.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure the virtual class "Mass Attacks in Public Spaces - 2019" being offered to me in August by the Secret Service is a class I should take, right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go