Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not defending Rubio (or whatever aide penned and posted that tweet) but...
April 01, 2019 - 05:53 PM EDT
April Fools' Day announcement saying he plans to grow a beard to avoid being mistaken for Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.).
From his own website:
WASHINGTON – Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) announced plans on Monday to grow a beard in an attempt to avoid being repeatedly mistaken for Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD).

“Just this weekend, I went to church in Maryland. Someone came up to me and said, ‘Hi, Mr. Cummings! I vote for you all the time,’’’ said Lewis. “I just said thank you. What else could I say? That’s when I decided, I should just grow a beard.”

Rep. Lewis’s announcement comes after years of “baldist” press reports that have confused the two famously clean shaven, African-American members of Congress. Both are outspoken opponents of the administration and have served in the House more than 53 years combined. To make things even more confusing, Rep. Cummings is chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, while Rep. Lewis chairs the Oversight Subcommittee of the House Ways and Means Committee.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's one thing for a member of the public to make this mistake. It's another for a U.S. senator to confuse two of the longest serving African-American representatives, one of whom was elected to Congress before Rubio was a sophomore in high school.

And it's especially lame to make that mistake in a public-relations attempt to honor the most recently deceased. Jesus.

Shows how much he really cares.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:23 pm It's one thing for a member of the public to make this mistake. It's another for a U.S. senator to confuse two of the longest serving African-American representatives, one of whom was elected to Congress before Rubio was a sophomore in high school.

And it's especially lame to make that mistake in a public-relations attempt to honor the most recently deceased. Jesus.

Shows how much he really cares.
I think it reflects the level of competency and talent we have at the highest levels of government.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So did Senator Sullivan

Holman

Post by Holman »

I guess telling black colleagues apart is just too much to ask of the highest officials in the land.

At least it's an attempt to perform some kind of respect. Mitch McConnell published three or four paragraphs of platitudes about John Lewis even as he has stalled bills for voting-rights protection on his desk for years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

May be the best ad yet from The Lincoln Project:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow. I'm glad whoever is the creative brains behind those ads isn't working FOR trump.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore. They are great, but they've become far too radical and 'liberal' to persuade anyone that isn't already.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 amI'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore. They are great, but they've become far too radical and 'liberal' to persuade anyone that isn't already.
I don't see them that way, but I also don't think working for equality and opposing tyranny should mean you're a "liberal".

I just hope they keep momentum until November. Hammer the message, nail the bastard to the wall.
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 am I'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore. They are great, but they've become far too radical and 'liberal' to persuade anyone that isn't already.
My instinct says you are right but the police state is a fear for "more traditional" conservatives who aren't tied into rule for institutionalized bigotry. That said I don't know who the Lincoln project is actually reaching. It twitter an effective way to advertise?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 am I'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore. They are great, but they've become far too radical and 'liberal' to persuade anyone that isn't already.
My instinct says you are right but the police state is a fear for "more traditional" conservatives who aren't tied into rule for institutionalized bigotry. That said I don't know who the Lincoln project is actually reaching. It twitter an effective way to advertise?
They are running their ads on major TV networks...including Fox News.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess that shows how much major network TV I watch anymore. I've seen not a one of these ads. I guess most of my political ad exposure is youtube and radio. I've seen very little in the way of political ads on TV and most of that has been direct Trump or Biden with a bit of some MAGAt running under TRUMPet noise two counties away.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am
2016 says yes it is.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

I kind of agree.

I love what the Lincoln Project is doing, but the "Portland is just the beginning" is definitely no longer aimed at wavering Republicans. It seems mainly designed to invite Democrats to support the Lincoln Project, which feels manipulative.

I'm wary because most of the big names behind the LP have been involved in some -very- scummy right-wing campaigns in the past. Perhaps they've seen the light, but some of them still have some 'splaining to do.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did Trump win by Twitter? Have others? Yes he's weaponized 140(?) characters of misinformation or opinion as fact but I think he won on the Supreme Court and sheer hatred for Hillary. I fear he'll win again not Twitter but on embedding four years of institutionalized corruption and energizing ignorance that goes far deeper than the constancy of ignorant cheering squad Twitter rants.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 am Did Trump win by Twitter? Have others? Yes he's weaponized 140(?) characters of misinformation or opinion as fact but I think he won on the Supreme Court and sheer hatred for Hillary. I fear he'll win again not Twitter but on embedding four years of institutionalized corruption and energizing ignorance that goes far deeper than the constancy of ignorant cheering squad Twitter rants.
It's not what he won on but it is an effective advert. Hell, every Sunday I see articles titled "Trump Twitter Rant the Sunday Edition". It keeps his name out there and prominent in people's minds as "doing something" even if they are too stupid to recognize or really care what it is he is doing.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 am I'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore.
I assume they 100% exist to piss off Trump. If anyone else is watching and they find enjoyment, that's a bonus. But I don't think they're out to try and convince anyone of anything. They exist to taunt and enrage.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:40 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 am I'm not sure who the Lincoln Project ads are for anymore.
I assume they 100% exist to piss off Trump. If anyone else is watching and they find enjoyment, that's a bonus. But I don't think they're out to try and convince anyone of anything. They exist to taunt and enrage.
+1. I don't think they are trying to build a party. They know they are riding into political exile but at least maybe Trump will be gone.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:35 am
I kind of agree.

I love what the Lincoln Project is doing, but the "Portland is just the beginning" is definitely no longer aimed at wavering Republicans. It seems mainly designed to invite Democrats to support the Lincoln Project, which feels manipulative.

It seems like it might play well with the "Jade Helm!!!!! FEMA Concentration Camps!" alarmist Right from a few years ago. Of course if they're all-in on Trump their cognitive dissonance coping mechanisms are tuned enough to ignore the current, actually real threat.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I think it's also possible that they're wanting any future Republicans to look more like legitimate leaders than pawns and/or bullies.

It also works for later ads "We warned this was going to happen..."
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am I think it's also possible that they're wanting any future Republicans to look more like legitimate leaders than pawns and/or bullies.

Yes please. I don't know what they want but this would be effective on prospective reluctant Trump voters who see are sold on the democrats as a gateway to the a police state, while the GOP, as bad as it is, is protecting us from "big government" from "federal overreach"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am
I think it's also possible that they're wanting any future Republicans to look more like legitimate leaders than pawns and/or bullies.

Washington Post
Should progressives and liberals view the Lincoln Project Republicans as full-fledged converts, as temporary allies of convenience, or as an ideological Trojan horse virus that will co-opt the Democratic Party from within if allowed to ride anti-Trump sentiment into the party’s good graces?

The Never-Trump Republicans who founded the Lincoln Project are highly skilled at marshaling such sentiment. Their videos brutally attacking President Trump routinely go viral, turning them into heroes among the “Resistance glitterati.”

But this has unleashed a counter-narrative: The Lincoln Project is working to insulate conservatism from blame for Trump so it can rise again. Its condemnations of Trump don’t acknowledge the GOP’s culpability for creating the conditions for his rise. Allowing the group influence over a Joe Biden presidency will cripple his ability to rescue the country.

I had a long and spirited conversation about all these criticisms with John Weaver, a co-founder and leader of the Lincoln Project. First, a few highlights:

The group will spend tens of millions of dollars in swing states through Election Day, most focused on turning GOP voters against Trump and on Senate races, Weaver said.

That includes a major expenditure on communicating with voters about vote-by-mail.

The group is preparing to vehemently oppose efforts by GOP senators to obstruct and stymie Biden’s agenda, should he win the presidency, Weaver confirmed.

The Lincoln Project’s declared mission is “defeating Trump and Trumpism at the ballot box.”
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If any of y'all need a Southerner to talk to someone you might know who thinks Trump is awesome, send them one or two of this guy's videos. He's got the accent, set background, and skin color they might listen to.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, Lawbeef has posted a few of his videos and they're good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I wish I could get my extended family to watch him. They still aren't going to buy it. God gave the election to Trump. Trump wants to save christianity, our economy, our guns and our babies!

Spoiler alert: Trump doesn't give a damn about any of it except maybe the economy (meaning enriching his buddies, not any of us).

I'm kind of glad (no, not kind of, very glad) I don't live anywhere near them so I don't have to deal with it in person. Funny part is I live in the red state and they live in blue.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Hillary Clinton wrote:
Kellyanne Conway: "President Trump took on Hillary Clinton in all 3 debates. She looked like it was an indignity to share the stage with him."
It was.

See: The last four years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh snap
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Defiant wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Hillary Clinton wrote:
Kellyanne Conway: "President Trump took on Hillary Clinton in all 3 debates. She looked like it was an indignity to share the stage with him."
It was.

See: The last four years.
True, and yet... If I could be so humble as to request she just pretends she doesn't exist for the next, oh- 3.5 months.

We do not need her becoming a big voice right now at all.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm Yeah, Lawbeef has posted a few of his videos and they're good.
I've been watching him on youtube pretty regularly for the past couple of weeks. Hadn't seen that one yet, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Filmed at a DC fund raiser, inside a Trump hotel on 7/20:

Here is Trump last night not wearing a mask at his DC hotel fundraiser just hours after posting that wearing a mask is "patriotic." Also not wearing masks at the event in violation of a DC mask mandate: Madison Cawthorn, Lindsey Graham and Mark Meadows.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Let them put on a face that encourages mask use for the public and work on killing themselves in private. I'm okay with that.
Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:59 am Let them put on a face that encourages mask use for the public and work on killing themselves in private. I'm okay with that.
Problem as I understand it is that masks help keep others safe and do not do all that much for the wearer if they are around non-masked carriers. So their refusal to wear a mask simply masks them more dangerous to everyone around them and doesn't really alter their own safety that much. If not wearing a mask got you sick rather than those around you we would see a LOT more people willing to wear them.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They can still infect each other. If one of them had it, there's a good chance they all have it after an event like that. However, since they can get tested any time they want, as often as they want, the odds are good that anyone allowed in was tested and cleared before hand.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The tests are not 100% accurate. So, still a slim chance!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am under the impression that the less invasive tests aren't the less reliable, so I assume they either get the regular discomfort of getting tested regularly or their testing is less than reliable.

Of course things are changing rapidly so I could be using things I thought I knew two months ago to something that no longer applies today.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ON FIRE

No re-election for you
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm ON FIRE
That's the aftermath of a "Taco Bell at 2:00am on a Saturday" kind of fire there.

I honestly hope the mancheeto sees these and it churns his burrito.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 pm I honestly hope the mancheeto sees these and it churns his burrito.
I hate to tell you, but I'm pretty sure he thinks he killed it in that interview. The laughs are obviously at Wallace.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »