Wheel/Pedal sets and associated game discussions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Wheel/Pedal sets and associated racing game discussions

Post by jztemple2 »

I was robbed! I was playing F1 2020 this evening and the track du jour was Montreal, another track I've driven a lot. There was rain in FP1 and FP2, so I just did some of the small programs and saved the big ones for FP3, which was dry. I qualified on the pole and lead easily on softs till the first and only (I thought) pit stop. After that I was on mediums and barely ahead of Bottas. It was starting to spit rain but my engineer assured me we hadn't hit the changeover point. Then with two laps to go I was notified that since I hadn't run on more than one compound I would have to pit to change to another. What???? Just in case this was an errand message I skipped going into the pits, but on the last opportunity to pit, as I passed the pit entrance, I was disqualified for not changing compounds :grund:

Thankfully I could use a Flashback to rewind to before the pit entrance, so I went in and changed tires, putting on inters since that is what I had selected in case it did start to really rain. I lost two place because of this, ending up with a third. I was robbed!!!! :evil:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: Wheel/Pedal sets and associated game discussions

Post by jztemple2 »

Fixed in todays F1 2020 patch:
Patch 10.05 is out now on PC, you can check out the notes for this patch here:

* Players will no longer be incorrectly disqualified for not using the mandatory tyres during a race
A day too late! :doh:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:03 pm Image
I did use two different compounds, just like all the other drivers, as I explained three posts ago. And as I said, I put on intermediates for the last lap to avoid being disqualified. As the patch note indicates, they knew they had a bug there.

You're entering dangerous territory if you're going to start quoting chapter and verse to me about F1 rules and regs :wink:. I've been following F1 since the late 1960s. Back when they really had wings!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, you’re probably right. My apologies. :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

F1 2020 is a fantastic game. The team mode they added is just brilliant and I can see myself really sinking a lot of time in it. I have a really hard time with spinning if I have don't have tc on so I run with for now. It's just too frustrating to run a track you aren't familiar with and spinning so much.

Love the write-ups of the races btw. What difficulty so you have the ai at? I'm in the 70's right now and I have a feeling I'll have to bump it up a bit soon. You should be getting your ass kicked the first season as your car sucks.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 pm Yeah, you’re probably right. My apologies. :)
No need to apologize, I enjoyed reminding myself how to post a Steam screenshot. By the way, for those wondering, that's Bruce McLaren in his eponymous F1 car at Monaco. Downforce, downforce, downforce!
Octavious wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm Love the write-ups of the races btw. What difficulty so you have the ai at? I'm in the 70's right now and I have a feeling I'll have to bump it up a bit soon. You should be getting your ass kicked the first season as your car sucks.
Glad you like the write-ups :wub:

Having a wheel instead of a controller has really made playing an F1 game fun. However, it hasn't made me significantly faster, just now I don't hit the wall as often and my fingers don't hurt like they were with the controller.

I'm running the AI at... 20 :roll:. It's hard to raise cash from sponsors if you finish like a Williams every race. I'll start tweaking it up as I go along but really right now I can barely beat the Mercs. The My Team feature is great, but it means that if I don't keep up a decent cash flow I'll never experience growing my team.

I wondering if I can sweet talk Lance Stroll's dad? :mrgreen:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:24 pm I've been following F1 since the late 1960s. Back when they really had wings!
...and when it used to be interesting! :D
I no longer post here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 pm Yeah, you’re probably right. My apologies. :)
No need to apologize, I enjoyed reminding myself how to post a Steam screenshot. By the way, for those wondering, that's Bruce McLaren in his eponymous F1 car at Monaco. Downforce, downforce, downforce!
Octavious wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm Love the write-ups of the races btw. What difficulty so you have the ai at? I'm in the 70's right now and I have a feeling I'll have to bump it up a bit soon. You should be getting your ass kicked the first season as your car sucks.
Glad you like the write-ups :wub:

Having a wheel instead of a controller has really made playing an F1 game fun. However, it hasn't made me significantly faster, just now I don't hit the wall as often and my fingers don't hurt like they were with the controller.

I'm running the AI at... 20 :roll:. It's hard to raise cash from sponsors if you finish like a Williams every race. I'll start tweaking it up as I go along but really right now I can barely beat the Mercs. The My Team feature is great, but it means that if I don't keep up a decent cash flow I'll never experience growing my team.

I wondering if I can sweet talk Lance Stroll's dad? :mrgreen:
I finished 15th my first race, but a lot of that was the car. I could easily keep up and pass the lower tier guys.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My next race was the French GP at Paul Ricard, a circuit I'm somewhat familiar with, but not one of my favorites. For this event I turned off my anti-lock brake assist and went to the medium setting on traction control. It was dry on Friday so I did all my normal programs and was fourth fastest in the qualifier sim; the lack of ABS brakes is making me more cautious :roll:

On Saturday I simmed FP3 since it was raining. I went out for qualifying and it was still raining and on my first stint of two laps I only managed fifth. I waited a bit but it still continued to rain, so I decided what the heck and tried again and this time really hung it out there and damn if I didn't qualify first :D with Hamilton behind by 0.007 of a second :ninja:

It was dry on Sunday and I got away in the lead (with launch assist :roll:) and stayed in first till a lap before my pitstop when I muffed the second to last corner and Lewis got through :cry:. We both pitted at the same time, me about two lengths behind him. Well, my team Temple Racing had their Wheaties that morning and got me out ahead of Lewis by several lengths :horse:.

Back on the track I was behind only three cars who hadn't pitted and managed to get by one to keep him between me and Lewis. Then the three pitted and I expected a fight with Hamilton, but he had Vettel on his tail and they fought all the way to the end, giving me an easy victory :csmile:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm really enjoying F1 2020 now that I have a wheel/pedal set. I'm also finding that I'm liking a game that is focused around a single racing series, rather than something like Forza Motorsport 7 that is just a smorgasbord of different classes, tracks and made up series. So I'm wondering about Assetto Corsa Competizione. Is it something like F1 2020 in that it is focused on a single series (or a paired series, like F2 and F1 in F1 2020)? It sounds like it from the description, but I'd like to have some impressions from an OOer that's actually played it. Thanks!

UPDATE: Also, one more thing. Is there a Mid-Session save option in ACC like there is in F1 2020? I'm really not able to stay racing for too long so I'd like to be able to save and continue later. I probably also should state that I'm talking about playing ACC in offline/solo mode only, no multiplayer races.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Assetto Corsa Competizione is exclusively GT3 is GT3 and (very recently) GT4 (paid DLC), and seems to be played mainly for the multiplayer, to be honest with you. It does have some single player options including a career but I haven't bothered with it much. From what I gather in the ACC community nobody pays it much attention.

As discouraging as that sounds though, I would urge you to seriously consider it anyway, for two reasons. Firstly it is a sublime simulation of GT3 racing. It is the official sim for GT3 after all. After playing ACC I just can't play GT3 in any other racing game now. Secondly, I credit ACC with really pulling me into sim racing. Games like Project Cars 2 are excellent but really just throw you in at the deep end, whereas the small, incremental goals in ACC gave me the encouragement I needed to better myself.

Basically I play ACC for the superb racing in my favourite class, I play Project Cars 2 when I just want some variety, and I play GT Sport when I just want to have mindless fun. :)
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the info! I'll give it more of a look.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

F1 2020 glamour shot of my car:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm on race 3 of the season which is Vietnam which is a new course for 2020. Holy f'n crap the track is a death machine. Almost no runoff room anywhere a crazy slalom section and a few insanely long straights. I practiced for a few hours yesterday and I'm still having issue. To make it even worse the race is going to be in the rain. :lol: I'm going to tackle the actual race tonight.

I found that actually running the races with the AI is the best way to learn a track. I'll just keep on restarting the race until I feel like I have the hang of it and then give it a proper go. Right now I'm on 75 difficulty and the pace is pretty spot on. I'm putting down 1:40 lap times right now. The good online players are in the 1:32's! So I have a ways to go on this one. :lol: I'd be stoked to get to the 1:35 range.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So, F1 2020 :D. As reported above, my last race was the French GP and I've done several since then.

British GP
Next race was the British GP at Silverstone. I'm still not really familiar with with the new layout, having raced the old one since the Speed Circuit and Grand Prix Legends games. I had raised the AI (to 30! :D) and also disabled anti-lock braking and set traction control to medium. Oh, and I had set the race distance to 50%. I qualified on pole but it was a full wet track for the race :shock:.
Enlarge Image
Right from the start the car was a handful and after several laps I could feel my wrists and ankles starting to suffer from the overwork. When I pitted for a new set of wets I re-enabled antilocking brakes and went with full traction control. I slowly fought my way back through the field, which was actually fun in the rain. I looked to get a fourth but Lewis broke down a couple of laps from the finish :mrgreen: and I got on the podium! I thought this a grand performance till I checked at the end and found that I was the only one in the top six that had stopped for tires :roll:. My first set of wets might have lasted me, but then they might not have.

Hungarian GP
Next race was Hungary, which was an absolute disaster. I had gone back to anti-lock braking assist off and traction control set to medium. I was struggling with trying to get good lap times without constantly locking up and damaging my tires in practice. I finally got third on the grid.
Enlarge Image
I managed to get past Vettel and Bottas before the first corner, mainly by bumping :roll: and tried to pull a lead. However, they hounded me at every corner and I was getting constant lockups. I didn't want to enable the anti-lock brake assist and so I lived with it. My first pit stop was supposed to be at lap 8, but by lap 6 I had over 60% wear on the tires :doh: and so I pitted for hards. I struggled to try to fight my way up through the field but by two-thirds distance the hards were chewed up. I pitted for mediums and continued, but by then I just didn't care and so I self-retired :cry:

Belgium GP
And to on to the Belgium GP at Spa. A fun track for me and even though it has changed since GPL, I really have taken a liking to the flow of the track. I qualified up front and it looked to be fine weather. I was hanging in first place with a planned pit stop around lap 8 but something happened that hasn't happened so far in F1 2020. I'd had individual yellow flag sectors, but now for the first time there was a safety car :dance: which came out just after I started lap 5. I got my message to slow down and queue behind the safety car but it was all the way around the track, so I had to play the game of driving fast enough but not too fast as to accrue a penalty. Thankfully there was always a few seconds of grace if you went too fast to slow back down, so with all this pogo stick action I finally made it around to the entrance to the pits. I know from watching F1 races that it is a really good thing to pit during a safety car period and I wasn't the only one
Enlarge Image
Only Stroll and Giovinazzi, who both opted not to pit, were ahead of me after all the stops were complete. All the cars continued to circulate behind the safety car for a couple more laps
Enlarge Image
Finally we got the green and I disposed of Giovinazzi quickly enough but the tires on Stroll were good enough to keep him out front for a couple of laps, then he dived for the pits and I continued in the lead, with Bottas and Albon behind. Right near the end Bottas made a big charge and I barely finished in front of him, which it turned out wasn't something I should have worried about since both Bottas and Albon had incurred five second penalties for ignoring yellow flags!
Enlarge Image

Italian GP
Finally (and aren't you glad?) it was the Italian GP. Practice and qualifying were fine, but it was a full wet race like the British GP.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
After what had happened in Britain, I knew to go for no pitstops
Enlarge Image
Now Monza is one of my favorite tracks, although spoiled by the chicanes :evil: especially the first one on the start/finish straight. Still I felt like I had learned some lessons from the wet British GP, one of which was to switch back to running only 25% of the full distance :roll:. I started well and did just fine, Monza being one of those tracks where it is possible to avoid locking up at the chicanes if you don't mind bumping over curbs a bit. Also it being wet I was more in a mood to tiptoe around the track :think:. I won easily as the Mercedes, the Red Bulls and the Ferraris kept smacking into each other at that tricky first chicane :mrgreen:

The next race is Singapore, probably one of my worst, so I might take a break before then.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I take a week per track and I still don't feel super comfortable when I'm done. Australia still gives me fits in certain sections. I don't think I'll ever feel 100% comfortable in an F1 game. The way the cars drive is so much harder for me compared to GT3 cars.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:42 pm I take a week per track and I still don't feel super comfortable when I'm done. Australia still gives me fits in certain sections. I don't think I'll ever feel 100% comfortable in an F1 game. The way the cars drive is so much harder for me compared to GT3 cars.
The last left-right complex in Australia just gave me fits. I was getting beaten up by the FFB wheel until I turned the strength down. Even then, if I make the first turn just a little too sharp I almost always end up going on the grass because I can't get the wheel spun the other way fast enough. I tweaked the wheel enough that the settings feel right, but all the settings in the world don't help if I come in a bit too fast :roll:.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Singapore GP
Never did like this one, too many turns, too many walls :shock:. So I ran the first practice, which is in daylight, and my FPS was dropping into the mid 40s from a steady 60 due to the close objects (walls, supports for the overhead highway, etc) and their associated shadows. I tried fiddling with the graphics, but decided it was easier to just go to the second practice which is in the dark. Frame rate problem solved!

However, I was slow. I tried and tried, adjusting the downforce, changing my line, no matter what, I was just slow. After the last practice I was near the back of the pack.

Next qualifying, and damn if it wasn't raining. Hard...
Enlarge Image

I made a decision before I entered parc fermé to go with max preset downforce. At least I could try to keep the car off the walls. Still, qualifying was a nightmare in the rain.
Enlarge Image

I finally ended up 15th. It would have been 16th but they gave Kimi a penalty for blocking :D
Enlarge Image

So onto the grid for the start, the weather nice but warm. The team (IE me :roll:) decided to go with an alternative strategy to start on mediums and switch to hards about two-thirds of the way through, hoping to jump the guys who started on softs. Oddly, even though qualifying was in the wet and so everyone could start on whatever tire they wanted, most started on softs. Not me.
Enlarge Image

I gained one spot on the first lap to 14th but there I stayed. After several laps people started coming into the pits and I slowed progressed up the standings because I was staying out. My mediums were doing OK and I really wished there was a chance for a wet race so I could just stay out, but no rain came. Bottas passed me and Hamilton was on my tail. What I needed was some luck...

Mind you, sometimes you make your own luck, and I did in this case. Hamilton dove inside on a tight corner, I closed the door and bang Hamilton crashed out :mrgreen:. And I got my safety car!
Enlarge Image

Well, it wasn't that big a break. I couldn't catch up to the safety car fast enough and when I finally pitted I lost a lot of places, although I did manage to put on softs. When the race restarted I was 19th. I passed Latifi and my teammate, but it was a pretty poor showing. And I've found another F1 2020 bug. Even though I started on mediums and made only one pit stop to change to softs, the post race data shows me starting on softs and making two pit stops.
Enlarge Image

At least I had one small bit of consolation. Hamilton, who is fighting me in the standings, not only crashed out, but was disqualified for parking in a "dangerous location". It's Singapore, the whole track is a dangerous location... :?
Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My Vietnam race is on hold as I'm still trying to get comfortable with the track. It's by far the hardest one I've tried so far. :evil:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In F1 2020 I finished the Russian GP at Sochi. Nice track, not too difficult. I did have problems with a couple of turns near the end of a lap, the right/left combination that goes under a bridge. I always seem to overcook the second corner and slide too far out. Took a number of laps to get it right.

By the way, in case anyone reading this really likes the feature in F1 2020 of creating and managing their own team, you might want to check out Motorsport Manager. As the blurb says:
Have you got what it takes to become the manager of a high-performance motorsport team? Motorsport Manager is a highly detailed, best-in-class management game for fans of motorsport. You’ll hire the drivers, build the cars and embed yourself in the dynamic world of racing.

I've got over ninety hours in it. I hadn't played since December of 2017 when I rather burned out on the game, but playing F1 2020 motivated me to reinstall it and I spent several hours going through the tutorial again. The game is a lot of fun and there are some great DLC packs to add Endurance and GT racing.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah Motorsport Manager is very, very good. Sadly the last time I had a proper go I encountered a bug that crashed my game in the same place every time. The developers don't respond to bug reports either.

However that was a whole PC ago, so I might try it again with my current rig.
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I've played Motorsport Manager on mobile, and it was backported to the PC.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I got a rift yesterday which I wasn't planning on getting for a while. Sadly F1 2020 doesn't support it, but Raceroom does. I only got a couple of minutes to try it, but I'm looking forward to finding some time to properly setup and test it. I can tell you that finding the apex of a turn is WAY easier than trying to play on one screen or trying to use trackir. The performance was crud, but that's because I didn't tweak any of the GFX settings.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:26 am I think I've played Motorsport Manager on mobile, and it was backported to the PC.
It is a more in-depth game on the PC, a number of elements were added to make it more interesting IMHO. And of course playing on a PC screen is a lot better than a little phone screen.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wouldn't you know it, I buy myself a Logitech G920 and three weeks later they come out with a fancier model :roll:

Logitech's latest wheel gives you all the feels with the G923
Designed for today’s sim racers, the G923 wheel and pedals have been modernized with a brushed metal steering wheel, polished pedals and a leather wheel cover for maximum comfort. In addition, the G923 was designed with a number of new features, including:
● Programmable Dual Clutch Launch Controls - allows racers to get off the line cleaner and faster with a programmable dual-clutch that facilitates maximum traction and minimum smoke.
● Built-In Rev Indicator - built-in colored LED lights indicate your RPM range, alerting the racer when they’re hitting redline.
● On-Wheel Game Controls - game controls for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5* consoles integrated into the steering wheel for total control at your fingertips.
● Progressive Brake Pedals - featuring a new progressive spring for a more responsive feel, the new brake pedal responsiveness adds more realism and control.
● 24-Point Selection Dial - built in selection dial allows the racer to adjust traction, torque, automatic stability management, brake force and more.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll give you $30 bucks for the old one so you can buy the new one! Heck, make it $40!

I literally threw out my old logitech wheel (from 97 or 98) 3 days ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More from my current season one playthrough of F1 2020:

Japanese GP at Suzuka
I upped the AI driver setting +5 and set race length at 50%. During first practice I found myself remembering why Suzuka is such an amazing track. The esses are very intimidating and hard to get right, but very rewarding. The first and second Degner curves are challenging, especially to get a good launch out of the second one. There there's the Hairpin, Spoon, 130R and then the final chicane. Awesome.

In qualifying I managed to pip Hamilton to the pole by the tiniest amount. At the start I remained up front but it was an awful struggle. I was supposed to pit at lap eight but by lap seven Hamilton was all over me on the start/finish straight. However, he made a very optimistic move into turn 1 and since I'm no Alex Albon, I slammed the door on him. We touched, he dropped back and triggered a multicar bumper session. I got away with a warning but four other drivers, including Hamilton, got five second time penalties.

We now had a safety car and everyone but two backmarkers went in to change tires. I maintained my lead and on the restart it was back to trying to hold off the field. Eventually I got passed by Bottas and Verstappen, but near the end I took Verstappen at the Hairpin. I did bump him which got me another warning :roll: but I did come home second.

US GP at COTA
COTA is really more amazing than Suzuka. The esses are so, so hard to get right, the turns after the back straight are good passing points and the long blast on the start/finish straight to the massive hill at turn one are just really cool.

Sadly it was not a race I was going to enjoy. My ICE and ERS were in bad shape and I was already at my full allocation for both, so I had to take a twenty grid spot penalty for replacing both. I didn't even bother trying to qualify. I started on hards while everyone else was on softs and a few mediums, hoping to stay out during their pit stops and then get VERY lucky with a safety car. However, it was just not to be. I only managed to pass about a half-dozen cars before the pit stops came and no lucky yellow occurred, so when I went for my pit stop I was back near the end of the pack again. Bummer.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Of course if you don't want the new Logitech G923 because it is so plebian, you can always opt for the entry level Fanatec CSL Elite (link to PC Gamer review). Only $600 USD.

The Fanatec CSL Elite is a high-priced racing wheel by most people’s standards, and yet it is the entry-level model in the Fanatec line-up. You'd be hard pressed to see why, however, considering that it's absolutely the best racing wheel you can get for $600.

Fanatec CSL Elite specs
Wheel: CSL Elite P1
Base: CSL Elite Base 1.1
Pedals: CSL Elite Pedal LC
Wheel diameter: 30cm
Motor: Single drive force feedback
Movement: 1080-degree adjustable
Feedback rate: 1000Hz
Accessories: table clamp

The Fanatec CSL Elite starts out at $570, but as a highly modular system you could spend plenty more on the steering wheel itself, upgraded pedals, or a separate gearbox and handbrake. As such, the cost can easily spiral above $1,000 before you even make the jump to the higher-end Clubsport wheel base.

I've kept things sensible for this review. We’re primarily looking at the standard Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and base, although I've swapped out the standard $100 CSL Elite pedals for the highly recommended load cell brake pedals at $230.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Paradroid wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 am Yeah Motorsport Manager is very, very good. Sadly the last time I had a proper go I encountered a bug that crashed my game in the same place every time. The developers don't respond to bug reports either.

However that was a whole PC ago, so I might try it again with my current rig.
Yep, the idea intrigues me, but performance on my PC is poor and I've run into situations with it crashing at the same place every time as well. Probably due to ram as I'm limited to 8GB. I should upgrade soon.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm Yep, the idea intrigues me, but performance on my PC is poor and I've run into situations with it crashing at the same place every time as well. Probably due to ram as I'm limited to 8GB. I should upgrade soon.
You might be on to something there about the RAM. I have 97 hours on the game and haven't had a single issue, but I'm running 16GB RAM and maybe that's what it really might need in certain situations. It really does suck that you guys have a problem you can't get past :cry:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, sometimes there's a coincidence worth mentioning. Motorsport Manager is on sale on Steam through the weekend for 75% off, or $8.74 USD.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My racing career is currently in a tropical storm blackout for now. Hopefully I'll be up racing again next week. :(

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 pm Yep, the idea intrigues me, but performance on my PC is poor and I've run into situations with it crashing at the same place every time as well. Probably due to ram as I'm limited to 8GB. I should upgrade soon.
You might be on to something there about the RAM. I have 97 hours on the game and haven't had a single issue, but I'm running 16GB RAM and maybe that's what it really might need in certain situations. It really does suck that you guys have a problem you can't get past :cry:
Well, FWIW, I've been noticing problems in other games as well. I have a recent enough card, but the bottleneck appears to be both the cpu and the ram, and certain games just don't seem to do all that well even though they'll technically play smoothly. I've been thinking of upgrading to at least 16GB of ram, but I'm not sure how much my board will take.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Just look up your model of motherboard - there'll be plenty of information online to tell you how much it supports. But unless it's absolutely ancient it will surely support 16GB. Don't forget that you should run something like 2x8GB to get the best benefit.
I no longer post here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's good advice. Thanks. It's been long enough that I don't know the board by heart anymore, only that it's an Asus board :D Maybe an A1NE? Man, that sounds like some kind of virus.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Ah, I've just noticed your specs in your signature! :lol:

OK so you're using some kind of ASUS board supporting socket LGA 1156. That means 16GB is the maximum amount of RAM it will support. What you'll need to do is open it up and see what sticks are in there. Hopefully it's a single 8GB; that means you can just whack another one in. More likely it'll be 2x4GB, so you'll need to buy a matching pair and make sure they're exactly the same specifications as the sticks you already have. Then you'll be good to go.

Incidentally, if you really want to know, assuming you're on Windows 10 you can press start and type "system information". On the widget that opens, look for the lines starting with "Baseboard". There you'll find your mobo make and model.
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://techguided.com/what-motherboard-do-i-have/

Code: Select all

wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You guys are good detectives! :D

Ok, I never knew that command existed, and always wished that information was displayed via system information that you access via Settings. I mean, why wouldn't it be displayed there along with everything else? Why do they make things difficult?

From what it tells me, the board is a DH55PJ, Version AAE93812-303.

And doing what Blackhawk suggested also gives me this:
Intel Corporation DH55PJ
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »