Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:20 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:18 pmI wonder if Carlson will mention it?
Yeah. He'll be bragging about how his former top writer was just hired by the Trump Administration.
[Stephen Miller feels a tingle in his crotch...]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting developments with the McCloskeys. The first is that the local paper ran down every bad deed these two have committed over the years. And there are many. They have a checkered past in the worst sort of lawyers way where they apparently bullied people with lawsuits and threats of lawsuits. At best they are nightmare neighbors. There are even allegations they have tried to block gay people from living in their neighborhood. Relevant to the recent events, McCloskey was trying to use squatter's rights to seize some of the land that the BLM protesters walked through and had previously aimed a gun at a neighbor to enforce his rights to its use.

Then we have the below where the police executed a warrant and seized the rifle he aimed at the protesters. Of course, the right is up in arms about 'illegal seizure' as if a *warrant* isn't a legal instrument.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What did they have the warrant for? As far as I can tell the rifle and pistol were both legal. Wouldn't they arrest them and then confiscate the weapons if there were charges? Seems like fishing and it probably won't work out well for the police/prosecutor.

I think assault may be in play but going after the rifle doesn't .make sense without other charges. Unless I'm missing some local gun law but pretty sure Missouri and St. Louis are very permissive.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I suppose it is possible that they were searching for something else (even unrelated to the infamous incident) and took the guns for safety (which I've seen cops do before), given the couple's history. IE - they take it and the owners can pick it back up the next day.

That's just a blind guess, though. We have no idea what happened.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh sweet karma.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Chicago Blackhawks won't change nickname because it honors the life of an actual Native American

i dunno, it seems to me if a group you're 'honoring' decides it doesn't want this particular 'honor', why are you continuing to push it on them?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*cough*

For the record, I pulled my name from a brand of throwing axe.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It would seem easy enough for the Blackhawks to change over to a bird logo, but I'd be surprised if it happens. I don't have a big emotional attachment to the name (I'm only a casual NHL fan), but I imagine stimpy's head would explode.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had a bit of a crisis recently with all that's going on.

I host a horror podcast called "The Civil Gore Podcast." The name came from the fact that my co-host is from the north, I'm from the south, and it was a play on "civil war." Our logo is two skulls, one in a Union hat and one in a Confederate hat facing each other. There are no actual Confederate symbols in the logo (I was careful about that even 4 years ago when I designed it).

I've never had anyone tell us the logo, title, or anything is remotely offensive. At worst we've been mistaken for a Civil War history podcast, and most people absolutely love the title and logo. However, we had to sit down and really think about it in the context of the current environment.

My co-host and I went around and around about it, but ultimately decided if nobody's complaining, we ain't changing it. We go out of our way to support minority filmmakers, and I think anyone who listens to our show would know we're fully supportive of the BLM movement.

We did get a huge local victory this week. I may have mentioned either here on in another thread about a park in town that was named after a racist local from the early 1900s who instigated race riots in the city that wound up killing several African-Americans. When he first donated the land for the park, his only stipulation was that "blacks were prohibited." So this park has had this asshole's name on it for 80 years, despite public pressure multiple times over the years to change it. At last, that change has happened. Hugh McRae park is now "Long Leaf Park" and there's been a very positive response from the community.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Hawk isn’t a tribe. He was a leader of the Sauk tribe in the area.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 pm It would seem easy enough for the Blackhawks to change over to a bird logo, but I'd be surprised if it happens. I don't have a big emotional attachment to the name (I'm only a casual NHL fan), but I imagine stimpy's head would explode.
I'm trying to be a good boy here...…. :hawk:
But yes....it would be an easy, but in my opinion unwarranted and unnecessary transition. In fact, their mascot is a hawk:

I truly do understand the concern over some of these names and mascots.

But it's getting to the point where we should just chuck em all and be Team A, Team B....etc.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The local high school team is the Wampanoags (Wamps). Fine so far, they're honoring the small and little-known local tribe whose land we live on. The headdresses and tomahawk chops are problematic, though. So each side took up online petitions; the dump-it team had around 4,000 signers and the keep-it team was at 2,500, last I heard -- which is a lot of responses for a town of 37,000, but I expect most of them are opinionated outsiders.

Throughout this brouhaha, I wondered if anybody asked any actual Wamps. Well, a few days ago a tribal leader opined that they don't appreciate being lumped in with animal mascots. Good enough for me. Time to dump the Wamps.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 pm The Chicago Blackhawks won't change nickname because it honors the life of an actual Native American

i dunno, it seems to me if a group you're 'honoring' decides it doesn't want this particular 'honor', why are you continuing to push it on them?
The only other team on that list that will likely change their name is Cleveland. The Braves already announced they won't, and I don't see the Chiefs (who have been flying under the radar with their name the whole time) or the Blackhawks changing theirs.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:45 pm In fact, their mascot is a hawk:

Yeah. Tommy Hawk. :doh:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

We can change it to his formal name, Thomas D Hawk.
But really.......are we even sure it's a male?
Can male hawks do this?

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:29 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:41 pm The Chicago Blackhawks won't change nickname because it honors the life of an actual Native American

The only other team on that list that will likely change their name is Cleveland. The Braves already announced they won't, and I don't see the Chiefs (who have been flying under the radar with their name the whole time) or the Blackhawks changing theirs.
There was some chatter that the University of Utah should stop using the Ute moniker, which was shut down pretty quickly by members of the Ute Tribe.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I went to college at Eastern when we changed our moniker from Huron to EMU... Eagle... At the time, the Huron tribe did not protest and figures within the tribe said it was an honor. We changed anyway. 20+ years later all I remember is we are the EMUs. Note: In the 8 years it took me to get my undergrad degree, I attended exactly 0 sporting events but, as with almost any renaming, to me "The Eastern Eateries" was still the "The Huron Hideaway" and renaming that made no sense, as the Eateries were within walking distance of Huron Drive which runs along Huron River.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am I went to college at Eastern when we changed our moniker from Huron to EMU... Eagle... At the time, the Huron tribe did not protest and figures within the tribe said it was an honor. We changed anyway. 20+ years later all I remember is we are the EMUs. Note: In the 8 years it took me to get my undergrad degree, I attended exactly 0 sporting events but, as with almost any renaming, to me "The Eastern Eateries" was still the "The Huron Hideaway" and renaming that made no sense, as the Eateries were within walking distance of Huron Drive which runs along Huron River.
Yeah, that one always bothered be. The Huron tribe wanted them the keep the name. IIRC, it just got caught up on the national "rename" movement which steamrolled over any local tribe's objections, finding Eastern an easy get.

Seeing that change and then having to see "Chief Illiniwek" do his bullshit for the next 10 plus years (not to mention the Washington Redskins, Chief Wahoo, etc) was infuriating.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
ViacomCBS is ending its long-running relationship with Nick Cannon after he made anti-Semitic comments on his podcast.

In the June 30 episode of “Cannon’s Class,” the actor and TV host interviewed Professor Griff, a rapper who was a part of Public Enemy before leaving the group after making anti-Semitic remarks.

On the podcast, Cannon said Black people are the “true Hebrews” and talked about anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving the Rothschild family.

“It’s never hate speech, you can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people,” Cannon said. “When we are the same people who they want to be. That’s our birthright. We are the true Hebrews.”

A ViacomCBS spokesperson released a statement to Variety, saying that the company’s relationship with Cannon is now terminated.
On Monday, Cannon said on Twitter and Facebook that he has “no hate in my heart nor malice intentions” and doesn’t condone hate speech. He also said that he holds himself “accountable for this moment” and takes full responsibility for his actions.
He later issued a lengthy statement on Facebook, demanding an apology from ViacomCBS as well as full ownership of “Wild ‘N Out.”

The host has had a relationship with Viacom since he was an actor on Nickelodeon in the ’90s, and into the 2000s with “Wild ‘N Out.” More recently, he’s been known as the host of “The Masked Singer” on Fox and hosted “America’s Got Talent” on NBC from 2009-2016. He’s also launching a syndicated daytime talk show in September with Debmar-Mercury.
malchior

Post by malchior »

To Times Square with Nick Cannon then. Growing up in the area and working near Times Square it was always odd to see the black Isrealites there year after year and not know that it was essentially a hate group.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
Houston Texans wide receiver Kenny Stills was arrested Tuesday along with 86 other people who were protesting Breonna Taylor’s death at the hands of the Louisville police.

According to Lucas Aulbach of the Louisville Courier Journal, Stills was one of over 100 people who marched from Louisville’s East End to the newly purchased home of Daniel Cameron, Kentucky’s Attorney General. Louisville Metro Police Department spokesman Lamont Washington said that all protesters were asked to leave Cameron’s property, and those who didn’t were arrested.

Stills was arrested Tuesday afternoon and entered into the local jail’s booking log just after midnight. He and the 86 other protesters were charged with intimidating a participant in the legal process, which is a felony, plus misdemeanor disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing. He’s scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday morning.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

intimidating a participant in the legal process, which is a felony
Can someone please explain this to the DoJ?
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm Variety
ViacomCBS is ending its long-running relationship with Nick Cannon after he made anti-Semitic comments on his podcast.

In the June 30 episode of “Cannon’s Class,” the actor and TV host interviewed Professor Griff, a rapper who was a part of Public Enemy before leaving the group after making anti-Semitic remarks.

On the podcast, Cannon said Black people are the “true Hebrews” and talked about anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving the Rothschild family.

“It’s never hate speech, you can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people,” Cannon said. “When we are the same people who they want to be. That’s our birthright. We are the true Hebrews.”

A ViacomCBS spokesperson released a statement to Variety, saying that the company’s relationship with Cannon is now terminated.
On Monday, Cannon said on Twitter and Facebook that he has “no hate in my heart nor malice intentions” and doesn’t condone hate speech. He also said that he holds himself “accountable for this moment” and takes full responsibility for his actions.
He later issued a lengthy statement on Facebook, demanding an apology from ViacomCBS as well as full ownership of “Wild ‘N Out.”

The host has had a relationship with Viacom since he was an actor on Nickelodeon in the ’90s, and into the 2000s with “Wild ‘N Out.” More recently, he’s been known as the host of “The Masked Singer” on Fox and hosted “America’s Got Talent” on NBC from 2009-2016. He’s also launching a syndicated daytime talk show in September with Debmar-Mercury.
He also said:

"I don't blame any individual, I blame the oppressive and racist infrastructure," Cannon wrote.

Yeah.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, this is awkward. I guess I'm going to have to explain to my wife and kids that we're not actually Jewish. Man, do I feel embarrassed.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can you convert to being black?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm Can you convert to being black?
I guess I'll have to look into it. I know for sure that one cannot go back, at least.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BlueLeaks
The cache of law enforcement materials was recently hacked and posted online under the title “BlueLeaks,” providing an unprecedented look at the communications between state, local, and federal law enforcement in the face of the nationwide protests. In an analysis of nearly 300 documents that reference “antifa,” The Intercept found repeated instances of antifa and left-wing protesting activities cast in cartoonishly grim terms alongside more substantive reports of lethal right-wing violence and threats that have received scant mention from top Trump administration officials.

“Throughout the documents you see counterterrorism agencies using extremism so broadly as to mean virtually anything that encompasses dissent,” Hina Shamsi, director of the ACLU’s National Security Project, told The Intercept. “There are instances in which people engaging in white supremacist violence get the benefit of the doubt as potential lone offenders, while people of color and those who dissent against government injustice are smeared as threats with guilt by association.”
“It’s chatter, it’s ‘intelligence reporting suggests,’” he said. On June 2, for example, the Department of Homeland Security circulated a tweet to law enforcement agencies across the country reporting that antifa was stashing bricks to “fuel protests.” The intelligence made its way to a law enforcement fusion center in Maine. Last week, Mainer magazine tracked down the original source of the tweet: a far-right, pro-Trump biker who goes by the name “the Wolfman,” who claimed that Facebook kept deleting his brick-planting evidence “because they are BLM supporters.”

Even if antifa were staging bricks, [Michael German, a former FBI agent specializing in domestic terrorism and current fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice] said, “you have these heavily armed groups right there, who have a much more direct and lengthy history of violence than anything antifa or anarchist-involved does.” Unlike the information circulated about antifa, much of the intelligence reporting in the BlueLeaks documents regarding threats from the far right is tightly focused on specific events, German noted. “That’s the way it should be,” he said. Far-right extremists have been targeting and killing law enforcement, not to mention members of the general public, for generations, German explained, and in fact, the government’s own documents show that those ideas were percolating in extremist corners of the right at the same time that Trump and U.S. Attorney General William Barr were preparing to crack down on the left.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 pm Well, this is awkward. I guess I'm going to have to explain to my wife and kids that we're not actually Jewish. Man, do I feel embarrassed.
I think you and the rest of the o'shaughnessy family watched that boat sail a while ago.
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... t-a-crime/

in case anyone needed a reminder of the mindsets of some (smaller, rural) communities
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

One of them, Carmen Garrison, said that after seeing what was happening out on the street, she knocked on Fabian’s door. Because of her age and concerns about the coronavirus, she said, she has not attended the demonstrations, but the artwork on her driveway was an opportunity to show her support for changes in the community that she said were overdue.
:wub:
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Standing in line, marking time
Waiting for the welfare dime
'Cause they can't buy a job
The man in the silk suit hurries by
As he catches the poor old ladies' eyes
Just for fun he says, "get a job"
That's just the way it is
Some things will never change
Ah, but don't you believe them
Said, hey little boy you can't go where the others go
'Cause you don't look like they do
Said, hey old man how can you stand
To think that way
Did you really think about it
Before you made the rules?
He said, "son
Some things will never change
Ah, but don't you believe them"
Oh yeah
well, they passed a law in '64
To give those who ain't got a little more
But it only goes so far
Because the law don't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time
Is the line on the color bar, no, no
And some things will never change
That's just the way it is, it is, it is, it is
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Is Trader Joe's racist because they have secondary trademarks for their in-house products such as Trader Ming's and Trader Jose's and Trader Giotto's?

Someone seems to think so.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm Can you convert to being black?
I guess I'll have to look into it. I know for sure that one cannot go back, at least.
There's always Rachel Dolezal...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had to endure a 20 minute phone call with my dad wherein I learned that all lives matter, the most crime-ridden cities have black mayors, we wouldn't have racism if we didn't talk about it all the damn time, and black on black crime is greater than cop on black crime. It was pretty much a greatest hits package of being non-woke.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm I had to endure a 20 minute phone call with my dad wherein I learned that all lives matter, the most crime-ridden cities have black mayors, we wouldn't have racism if we didn't talk about it all the damn time, and black on black crime is greater than cop on black crime. It was pretty much a greatest hits package of being non-woke.
And there wouldn't be a pandemic if we just stopped all that unnecessary testing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pmI had to endure a 20 minute phone call with my dad wherein I learned that all lives matter, the most crime-ridden cities have black mayors, we wouldn't have racism if we didn't talk about it all the damn time, and black on black crime is greater than cop on black crime.
It's interesting watching Europe import American-style identity politics, because many European countries take the exact route your father seems to suggest. In France, for instance, they have long operated on the assumption that any acknowledgment of race is, by definition, racist. So the law refuses to recognize race in any capacity. Nobody can ask about it, no statistics can be compiled based on it, and no programs can be designed with racial criteria - as far as the government is concerned, race does not exist.

Needless to say, that approach has not exactly succeeded at delivering racial harmony or justice. :?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:I had to endure a 20 minute phone call with my dad wherein I learned that all lives matter, the most crime-ridden cities have black mayors, we wouldn't have racism if we didn't talk about it all the damn time, and black on black crime is greater than cop on black crime. It was pretty much a greatest hits package of being non-woke.
That was my last two hour phone call with my dad. Also, black people in GA are causing all their problems with voting for themselves to maintain control over themselves. I dunno.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, the "there is no problem if I can't see it" problem. *sigh*

On the other hand, this backlash against law enforcement seems to have spread a bit too far, as if it's being fanned to distract us from COVID deaths. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but it's as if it's something to focus our anger on and push it down to the more local level, rather than against the Federal government and the Whitehouse.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pmI had to endure a 20 minute phone call with my dad wherein I learned that all lives matter, the most crime-ridden cities have black mayors, we wouldn't have racism if we didn't talk about it all the damn time, and black on black crime is greater than cop on black crime.
It's interesting watching Europe import American-style identity politics, because many European countries take the exact route your father seems to suggest. In France, for instance, they have long operated on the assumption that any acknowledgment of race is, by definition, racist. So the law refuses to recognize race in any capacity. Nobody can ask about it, no statistics can be compiled based on it, and no programs can be designed with racial criteria - as far as the government is concerned, race does not exist.
Wut? This is not even close to accurate aside from the prohibition against collecting race data. They don't collect racial data because of what happened to Jews in WW2. Also, they have some high minded belief that they have a race-agnostic society that goes back to de-colonization in the early 60s. And they are actively pushing back on importing American identity politics.

As to other countries, I don't think there is a whole lot of evidence of that elsewhere either. They have really odd racial quirks (e.g. the assistant of Sinterklaas 'Black Pete' in the Netherlands) and racial problems throughout soccer. There has been a backlash but I wouldn't call it the outcome of American-style identity politics; it is more just general anti-racism. I'd also strongly argue that this is an extension of the back and forth that has gone on for decades in the long-standing european multiculturalism projects that have recently had set backs due to the influx of Muslim refugees especially during the Syrian civil war.
Needless to say, that approach has not exactly succeeded at delivering racial harmony or justice. :?
This is true and there are debates about the practice because they haven't been able to identify vulnerable populations during the pandemic. However, it has so far run into a brick wall in Macron's government.