NHL 2019-20 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: NHL 2019-20 Season

Post by pr0ner »

GM Nill says it was a material act of unprofessionalism.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So does this look very unintentional to anyone?
Dallas Stars winger Corey Perry, the first player to be ejected from an NHL Winter Classic, said his hit that injured Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan Ellis was an "awkward play" with unintentional results.

"I've played with Ryan before. I know him personally. It's very unintentional. I didn't mean to hurt him. I hope he's OK," Perry said after the Stars' 4-2 win on Wednesday at the Cotton Bowl.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh, Corey Perry. You can't talk your way out of that one.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He gets a chance at his meeting tomorrow.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Opposing player did an elbow to the head to an Avs player a month-or-so ago. Almost the same thing except that he had to actually jump up a bit to make sure to get the elbow to the jaw connection. Later he said he didn't remember doing it and was "horrified" when he saw the replay. Surrreeee.... Completely an accident. Unavoidable. There was no where else to go (in the completely open area around the other player).

I'm fine with players getting booted for multiple games, if not longer, for crap like that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

February 2019
Corey Perry has a history of making dirty hits including two previous suspensions. Perry was given a four-game suspension in 2009 for elbowing Claude Giroux. He received another four-game suspension for a late, illegal check to the head of Jason Zucker in 2013.

Perry has many other hits which he was never suspended for. In the 2007 Western Conference Finals, he hit Chris Chelios from behind in open ice when Chelios was nowhere near the puck. Perry took a run at goalie Louis Domingue during the 2017 season, which involved head contact. Last year he delivered a blindside elbow to the head of Kris Letang in a similar play to the Chelios hit. In the first round of last years playoffs, Perry took a run at Melker Karlsson which sent the Sharks forward’s helmet flying off his head. Perry was given a two-minute interference penalty on the play.

Corey Perry has more than just a history of taking advantage of vulnerable players. In the 2017 WCF, he avoided receiving discipline for violating Rule 40, Physical Abuse of an Offical. While being separated from Nashville player Vern Fiddler, Perry grabbed the arm of the referee and violently pulled his arm down to break free. The potential punishment this action, which falls under Rule 40.4, would have been an automatic game misconduct, and a minimum suspension of three games. He was never punished because the referee didn’t decide to call it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Seems his suspensions haven't stopped him from having a long career. With the fines and loss of pay, he probably has a little less net worth than he might have otherwise.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nothing on the All Star game? The Green Day show was phenomenal [ly bad and good at the same time]. The new playoff format was weird but I enjoyed it. D men got screwed. 3 on 3, 2 D per team?

Gretzky is creepily ageless. Brett Hull is not.

Bettuzzi's 1 goal/5 points is probably a Red Wings season highlight for me. Which is saying less about his performance than it is about the Wings season.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I enjoyed the format, as well. Not enjoying the Avs inexplicably not playing again until Saturday when the rest of the NHL came back this past Monday--eleven days off. Bizarro.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 am Nothing on the All Star game? The Green Day show was phenomenal [ly bad and good at the same time]. The new playoff format was weird but I enjoyed it.
Fifth year of the current ASG format. We both enjoyed the ladies 3-on-3 tournament during the skills competition. The shoot-pucks-at-targets-from-the-stands event was a bit of a miss for us (but maybe tweakable). The shots of the players coming up the steps (Mitch Marner looks like a kid who should be sitting in row 12 seat 8) was pretty cool.
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 am Not enjoying the Avs inexplicably not playing again until Saturday when the rest of the NHL came back this past Monday--eleven days off. Bizarro.
Each team gets a 5-day break in the middle of the season (this has been a thing for a few years now). It's now aligned with the ASG weekend (with some teams getting their days off ahead of the event and some with their days off trailing it).

Sorry for the late corrections. We headed to St. Croix shortly after the game and I'm just catching up on the boards. Someone mentioned there was a big football game on last night while we were flying home?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 am Nothing on the All Star game? The Green Day show was phenomenal [ly bad and good at the same time]. The new playoff format was weird but I enjoyed it.
Fifth year of the current ASG format.
As someone who sits down to watch wearing a Western Conference ASG team jersey with a Red Wings patch it's still new to me.

:lol:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Watching the NHL trade deadline when I should be working...

Avalanche got themselves another Russian forward (Namestnikov, traded from Ottawa), prompting someone on Twitter to quip, "Did Colorado take Ottawa’s lunch money again...?" Also got a backup goalie with a decidedly unimpressive stat sheet, but hopefully he either wouldn't have to play much (if at all) or his numbers don't paint a full picture.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is the good stuff.

Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Coming 2021 - the Seattle Kraken!

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Waiting for the outrage from our own Kraken over the usurpation of his moniker for a sportsball team. I expect massive court battles to follow.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm pretty sure our Kraken would never look in here and would have no way to learn of the team name outside of here. Maybe if his trivia night was to resume. Maybe.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I like the look! I'm a fan of the name as well.

Of course as soon as the team starts bitching about something, they'll get called the Seattle Karens, so look out for that.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i look forward to everyone constantly mispronouncing it
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I already ordered my "Phil My" Kraken jersey.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm i look forward to everyone constantly mispronouncing it
There is more than one way?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm i look forward to everyone constantly mispronouncing it
There is more than one way?
yes. and bet on it that more will be found.

i'm sure fans will start calling themselves 'krakheads' now

from Seattle Times comments:
"Stupid decision made by commercially motivated transplants.This name is so out of touch with Seattle... no cultural or historical connections whatsoever. The only squid we have here are tiny little migratory market squid, and the only Monsters to bless our region have been serial killers. 'Ridgeways' would have been a better name."

"Throwing squid on the ice will be a cool tradition."

"It should have been the Murder Hornets."

oh and from the article:

"“I think the mythology of the Kraken is going to be really interesting,’’ NHL Seattle minority owner Mitch Garber, a member of the team executive committee led by managing partner David Bonderman that selected the name, said in an interview Thursday. “Especially in an arena that’s being dug more than 50 feet below the ground. I think it will be really, really interesting for the fans.’’"

really reaallly interesting. it's going to be the most interesting ever. it's going to be on a level you can't even imagine. you know, not a lot of people know that.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:42 pm This name is so out of touch with Seattle... no cultural or historical connections whatsoever. The only squid we have here are tiny little migratory market squid, and the only Monsters to bless our region have been serial killers.
What does historical connection have to do with anything? #PittsburghPenguins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#BuffaloSabres
Wanting a name other than "bison" (a generic stock name used by Buffalo sports teams for decades), the Knoxes commissioned a name-the-team contest. With names like "Mugwumps", "Buzzing Bees" and "Flying Zeppelins" being entered, the winning choice, "Sabres", was chosen because Seymour Knox felt a sabre, a weapon carried by a leader, could be effective on offense and defense.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:04 pm #BuffaloSabres
Wanting a name other than "bison" (a generic stock name used by Buffalo sports teams for decades), the Knoxes commissioned a name-the-team contest. With names like "Mugwumps", "Buzzing Bees" and "Flying Zeppelins" being entered, the winning choice, "Sabres", was chosen because Seymour Knox felt a sabre, a weapon carried by a leader, could be effective on offense and defense.
What, no Pucky McPuckface?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:42 pm This name is so out of touch with Seattle... no cultural or historical connections whatsoever. The only squid we have here are tiny little migratory market squid, and the only Monsters to bless our region have been serial killers.
+1 #BostonBruins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Penalties to be served in the Partners Krak-er Box.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm I'm pretty sure our Kraken would never look in here and would have no way to learn of the team name outside of here. Maybe if his trivia night was to resume. Maybe.
The team had to work out trademark agreements on the name with several commercial entities, including Kraken Rum — which has agreed to become the official rum sponsor of the new team.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 pm
FW, January
Former Dallas Stars coach Jim Montgomery released a statement, and admitted he has a drinking problem, but this is not the sole reason he was fired from the team on Dec. 10.
Sources said Montgomery’s relationship with alcohol was an issue and a contributing factor in the decision to remove him as coach.

Sources said Stars general manager Jim Nill had previously implored his hand-picked coach to change the behavior, and to stop with the excessive public episodes of drinking. The club tried to work with Montgomery on this, and to give him time and space to alter the behavior.
Dallas, March
After a three-week stint in rehab, former Stars coach Jim Montgomery is back home with his family in Frisco.

In his first comments since releasing a statement to The Dallas Morning News on Jan. 3, Montgomery and his wife, Emily, spoke with Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman about what it was like dealing with Jim’s firing initially and how his acclimation has been now that he’s out of rehab.

Montgomery would not discuss the incident that led to his firing, but he did tell Sportsnet that he’s “feeling great” and is at peace with himself. He said that even though he made bad mistakes, he is not a bad person.
Emily Montgomery said that she “knew he was not relieving his stress the right way,” but said her husband wouldn’t drink heavily when he was at home with his family. Now he’s not drinking at all, as the story notes he celebrated 90 days of sobriety Tuesday.

Now that he’s back from rehab at an undisclosed inpatient facility, Montgomery attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings every day. He and Emily see a therapist.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Wish him luck. I didn't know him as the Pios coach, but didn't like how he came across as the pro coach (despite his record). Alcohol troubles are a helluva thing, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:01 pm
The Athletic wrote:Francis said by the time he was hired to run hockey ops in Seattle, the organization had already undertaken an extensive fan poll to get a sense of where the community was leaning.

According to Francis, about 215,000 votes were cast and roughly 1,200 different names were suggested.

“The really interesting part for me is, I spent some time in Seattle and started talking to some of the local people who’ve been here and they talk about these huge octopi that live in the Puget Sound,” said Francis. “They’re the largest anywhere and they’re a very intelligent creature. And so, you hear that – and some of the folklore from when people were kids and you realize, this name is a perfect fit for the area. That’s what it’s all about.

“At the end of the day, the Kraken name embodies our connection to the sea – and the reverent curiosity of what lies beneath the sea. From my standpoint, I hope the power and aggression of the Kraken reflects the game of hockey and also shows the tenacity that our players are going to play with every night.”
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This is excellent news heading into Saturday:

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm This is excellent news heading into Saturday:

Whew. MLB, on the other hand, is already a disaster.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:57 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm This is excellent news heading into Saturday:

Whew. MLB, on the other hand, is already a disaster.
MLS has shown that bubbles for sportsball tournaments can work. Here's to hoping the NHL (and NBA) are successful as well.
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks, Canada.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I know everyone's gaga over baseball, but come on...

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I watched the PIT/PHI game (still in preseason until Saturday). Production was good and I thought the hockey was good. Some of the inter-team scrimmage games saw the netminders get lit up, so it was good to see that scores have been reasonable so far.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Flames/Jets game from yesterday can be accurately summed up in this gif:

Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Not K-chuck lifting his skate into Scheifele's ankle or Laine going out after getting cross-checked?

Paul Maurice/The Jets today