Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Political Randomness

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:37 amAnyway, most of these turn out to be some rando nut who was on the losing side of a lawsuit/criminal case. And as bad as it is to hope for any outcome at least that one isn't some further indication of a breakdown of our system.
Looking like a crazy rando - NY Times
A lawyer who was a self-described anti-feminist was identified by federal authorities as the gunman who shot into the New Jersey home of a federal judge, killing her son and wounding her husband.

New York State Police found the lawyer’s body in upstate New York, near the town of Liberty, on Monday morning, hours after the shooting late Sunday afternoon at the home of the judge, Esther Salas of Federal District Court in New Jersey. The authorities believe that the lawyer died from a self-inflected gunshot wound, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the matter.

Federal authorities said the lawyer was Roy Den Hollander, who in 2015 brought a lawsuit before Judge Salas that challenged the male-only military draft.

The class-action lawsuit accused the Selective Service System, the independent government agency that maintains a database of Americans eligible for a potential draft, of violating women’s equal protection rights by requiring only men to register with the service. Judge Salas ruled that the lawsuit could proceed, and the case is ongoing.

Mr. Den Hollander had also sued nightclubs for offering ladies’ night discounts and Columbia University for offering courses on women’s studies.

As part of the investigation into the lawyer’s death, the police found a package that was addressed to Judge Salas, according to another law enforcement official briefed on the matter.

“There’s a pretty good level of confidence he’s the guy,” the official said.
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm I'm sure the virtual class "Mass Attacks in Public Spaces - 2019" being offered to me in August by the Secret Service is a class I should take, right?
Unfortunately yes. Rarer here but still possible. :(
Enough

Post by Enough »

Oh hey, more trans rights slipping away...

Spoiler:
The Trump administration has proposed a rule allowing homeless shelters to keep trans women out using “factors such as height, the presence (but not the absence) of facial hair, the presence of an Adam’s apple, and other physical characteristics.”
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/1285332783657881601
The rule’s language, according to the leaked text, states that single-sex shelter staff “may determine an individual’s sex based on a good faith belief that an individual seeking access to the temporary, emergency shelters is not of the sex, as defined in the single-sex facility’s policy, which the facility accommodates.”

In order to do this, HUD will allow shelter staff to take into account “factors such as height, the presence (but not the absence) of facial hair, the presence of an Adam’s apple, and other physical characteristics which, when considered together, are indicative of a person’s biological sex.”

In essence, the proposed rule encourages women’s-only shelter staff to use a visual appraisal of a woman’s appearance to judge whether that person is woman enough to use the facility.

If a shelter operator judges a homeless woman’s appearance to not fit what they believe is her assigned sex at birth, they would then be allowed to ask for proof of that person’s sex before housing her in the women’s facility.

“Evidence requested must not be unduly intrusive of privacy, such as private physical anatomical evidence. Evidence requested could include government identification, but lack of government identification alone cannot be the sole basis for denying admittance on the basis of sex,” reads the rule’s text, as it currently stands.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:37 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 am
Freyland wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm That's fucking horrible.
There was a case like that a couple miles from my home. Some guy did a poor impression of a UPS driver, complete with a "parcel" that had a gun sticking out the front end. Turned out that he was an ex-neighbor of the woman he killed. IDK what his beef with her was. She wasn't a federal judge, that's for sure.
This was a couple of miles from me which is what caught my attention before it hit headline news. I got a ring neighborhood notification about it. :shock:

Anyway, most of these turn out to be some rando nut who was on the losing side of a lawsuit/criminal case. And as bad as it is to hope for any outcome at least that one isn't some further indication of a breakdown of our system.
Or an MRA nut.
Federal authorities identified a self-described “anti-feminist” lawyer found dead Monday as the “primary subject” in a shooting at a federal judge’s New Jersey home that killed the jurist’s son and left her husband badly injured.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enough wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:28 pm Oh hey, more trans rights slipping away....
Further proof that the self titled Christians supporting Trump aren’t really Christians.

“Love thy neighbor” only includes white, straight Americans who live the way they want them to in their unholy book.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The House GOP Conference meeting today was HEATED, with multiple people going after Liz Cheney.

This one is part of a longer thread:

Here's Matt Gaetz:

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gotta admit, I never saw that coming. It almost gives you hope.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is where Dick steps in and force chokes Gaetz.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm linking NYPost under protest, but...
Proudly “anti-feminist” lawyer Roy Den Hollander — who fatally shot a federal judge’s son and wounded her husband before killing himself — once made a chilling call for armed men to flood the streets of Washington, DC, during an appearance on “The Colbert Report.”

“Let’s get 100,000 armed guys in DC,” he told the Comedy Central spoof news show in 2011. “I’m willing to go down with you guys. Let’s go.”
Hollander said in recent months that he was terminally ill — and investigators believe he may have used his death sentence as an excuse to target his enemies. He was found dead Monday in New York’s Catskills of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In a massive online screed he left behind, he railed against his doctors, minorities, women and Salas in particular, alternately describing her as “hot” and expressing a desire to ask her out, and denigrating her as “a lazy and incompetent Latina judge appointed by Obama.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Spoiler:
AOC wrote:
"Fucking bitch" says Florida's @RepTedYoho while accosting @AOC on the steps of the U.S. Capitol, according to report https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5082 ... at-kind-of
I never spoke to Rep. Yoho before he decided to accost me on the steps of the nation’s Capitol yesterday.

Believe it or not, I usually get along fine w/ my GOP colleagues. We know how to check our legislative sparring at the committee door.

But hey, “b*tches” get stuff done. 🤷🏽‍♀️
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm I'm linking NYPost under protest, but...
Proudly “anti-feminist” lawyer Roy Den Hollander — who fatally shot a federal judge’s son and wounded her husband before killing himself — once made a chilling call for armed men to flood the streets of Washington, DC, during an appearance on “The Colbert Report.”
A contingent of folks is obsessed with this because of her being assigned an Epstein adjacent case a few days before the shooting. we do love our stupid conspiracy theories. By the way, I also work with a firm with ties to US and Isreali intelligence so clearly I'm read into this plot too...sorry for the disinformation.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No recusals as of yet.
Emily Hargan, who is married to Department of Health and Human Services Deputy Secretary Eric Hargan, has been lobbying the agency for roughly one month on behalf of health care clients, including Nostrum Pharmaceuticals, the blood glucose monitor company Smart Meter, and TL Management, which runs a chain of nursing homes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

So Geraldo is on the TV saying Trump was brave to wish her well and calling out cancel culture on Ghislaine, Of course this is the same dude that allegedly sexually assaulted Bette Midler and then he basically bragged about it in his memoir "Exposing Myself." (OMG, after learning this nugget I cannot get over the title of his book and the fact he bragged about Midler so brazenly)

Spoiler:
When asked @realDonaldTrump said he wished #GhislaineMaxwellArrested well. With media mob eager to see her lynched it was brave to weigh in. Fact: cases vs her are for crimes allegedly committed more than 25 years ago. She deserved bail & got solitary confinement: woke politics.

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/statu ... 1849820161

Oh look, a democrat he can relate to:

Spoiler:
Funny dual Selfie- Weiner in my WABC radio studio. We're posting video of his lively interview asap

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Authorities have evidence linking Roy Den Hollander, the men's rights attorney suspected of shooting a federal judge's family on Sunday, to the murder of another men's rights activist in California last week, FBI Newark spokeswoman Doreen Holder confirmed.
Altogether, the FBI connection suggests that Den Hollander allegedly killed his perceived rival, attacked the family of a perceived judicial enemy and then killed himself.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

uhhh, I think he's more than "suspected" of shooting the judge's family?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
On Wednesday morning, Florida Republican Rep. Ted Yoho took to the House floor to deliver an "apology."

Why the quote marks, you ask? Read on!
* "I stand before you this morning to address the strife I injected into the already contentious Congress." Ok, we are off to a good start!

* "I rise to apologize for the abrupt manner of the conversation I had with my colleague from New York. It is true that we disagree on policies and visions for America, but that does not mean we should be disrespectful." Yes, yes this is all going nicely!

* "The offensive name calling, words attributed to me by the press were never spoken to my colleagues and if they were construed that way, I apologize for their misunderstanding." Er, what? So, Yoho is saying he did not in fact say what AOC (and The Hill reporter) are saying he said to her. But that he is sorry if they were "misconstrued" that way. Here's the thing: He either called her a "f**king bitch" or he didn't. That term doesn't leave a lot to be misconstrued. Or misunderstood.

* "I cannot apologize for my passion or for loving my God, my family and my country." Did someone ask Yoho to apologize for his "passion or for loving my God, my family and my country?" Did I miss that? And what does that have to do with whether he yelled an epithet about another member of Congress?

Don't insult the word "apology" by calling what Yoho did on Wednesday an apology. Apologies sound like this: I am sorry for what I did (or said). It was a mistake. I will do my absolute best to not let it happen again.

That's not even close to what Yoho offered up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The goal is to write it such that CNN's chyrons say "Yoho apologizes to AOC", and Fox's Chyrons say "Yoho strikes defiant tone in response to criticism from AOC".
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:55 pm Derek Chauvin and his wife are charged with tax crimes - hiding ~$460k in income and thus owing ~$38k in taxes after penalties and fees. Interestingly, this investigation had started before he murdered George Floyd.
I'm trying to imagine the team meeting among the prosecutors after the George Floyd murder happened.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This made me go :shock:. That will be a tough Thanksgiving dinner to get through.
On June 25, state revenue investigators searched the Chauvins’ Oakdale home, which was mostly empty. They recovered a box of tax documents, financial information and work schedules. Investigators also searched the home of Derek Chauvin’s father, an accountant who prepared their 2014 and 2015 tax returns based on information they provided him. The father said he filed an extension to do their 2016 returns, but that they never provided him with the information to complete them.

Kellie Chauvin, also known as Kellie Xiong and who worked as a real estate agent and ran a photography business, told investigators that she had not prepared the returns because “it got away” from her, the complaints said. She was accompanied by an accountant who provided income tax returns for 2016 to 2019, but they appeared incomplete or estimated, the complaints continued.

The complaints also said that on June 26, one day after their Oakdale home was searched, Kellie Chauvin called Derek Chauvin at the prison where he is being held. She told him during the recorded call that their unfiled tax returns were being investigated.

She allegedly told her husband that she was meeting with someone about “[20]16 to now.” He then suggested using “who we have used to handle for many years.”

She responded, “Yeah, well, we don’t want to get your dad involved, because he will just be mad at me, I mean us, not doing them for years.”
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Failure to report $100,000 a year in income is run of the mill? If I failed to report $100,000 in income I'd be reporting a negative income and I am a fourth quintile household wage earner. The world we live in often doesn't make sense to me.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:06 pmFailure to report $100,000 a year in income is run of the mill? If I failed to report $100,000 in income I'd be reporting a negative income and I am a fourth quintile household wage earner. The world we live in often doesn't make sense to me.
Don't forget the GOP's ongoing war with the IRS and consistent budget slashing. If you really wanted to stuff America's coffers, a fully staffed tax bureau is an excellent start. By one estimate, for every $1 we spend at the IRS, we get $4 back.

Knowing that the tax man is crippled emboldens a lot of people.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm The goal is to write it such that CNN's chyrons say "Yoho apologizes to AOC", and Fox's Chyrons say "Yoho strikes defiant tone in response to criticism from AOC".
She responded with a long speech about the moment. It actually is a pretty compelling speech and speaks to her communication talents.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm The goal is to write it such that CNN's chyrons say "Yoho apologizes to AOC", and Fox's Chyrons say "Yoho strikes defiant tone in response to criticism from AOC".
She responded with a long speech about the moment. It actually is a pretty compelling speech and speaks to her communication talents.

And perhaps the best part is she put his words and his name in the congressional record, forever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:56 am And perhaps the best part is she put his words and his name in the congressional record, forever.
Like he cares but maybe we'll be lucky enough for his grandchildren to care.

Most of time I stand pretty firmly against public shaming/doxxing of people. But I'm at a point with Congress where I question my own stance. Where these elected officials have put themselves on a pedestal when they are there to be well compensated public servants. In the workspace of public service where my vote can't effect them, they can be this kind of people and make the laws I have to follow, and levy the taxes I have to pay. Honestly, my sheer inability to give McConnell and the rise of "freedom caucus" republicans the benefit of the doubt for anything and my powerlessness over their undue influence blind me to when I should probably extend compassion.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:21 amMost of time I stand pretty firmly against public shaming/doxxing of people. But I'm at a point with Congress where I question my own stance.
Maybe I'm misreading this, but her speech wasn't a shaming. That was what he did to her. His little act wasn't some accident where he just 'lost his mind'. He verbally attacked her in front of the press pool to belittle her. So in the end this wasn't a shaming, it was standing up to a pathetic bully.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. How this intersects with ‘doxxing’, I have no idea.

This guy made a political move in front of reporters, called her a fucking bitch at the end of it, and then tried to describe it as an abrupt conversation.

For her to make this statement was -perfectly- appropriate, and one not need to feel concern for publicly ‘shaming’ a politician for the manner in which he engages his colleagues.

Imagine if everyone could excuse their repugnant behavior by calling it ‘passion’
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm talking about the greater action, presumably starting with the Hill and Twitter, not her response to the non apology. It intersects with Doxxing because it's using the same vehicle of directing social media mob.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:35 amIt intersects with Doxxing because it's using the same vehicle of directing social media mob.
Someone online did point out he sits on the board of directors for a religious non-profit focused on addressing hunger. There was a suggestion this organization consider his association in light of his comments. I don't think that's doxxing, for the record, I think that's fair.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Doxxing specifically refers to the practice of releasing private information. Nothing she did was doxxing.

There's an argument that the mob may doxx but that wasn't her intent and he's a public figure. Releasing his board seats or financial dealings isn't doxxing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Doxxing was not meant to be the focus. It was meant to be the lens by which the behavior is examined. He is already a public figure with a public known employment. If you all prefer I will take back thought on the matter and cheer on using the power of the social network. Yay!!!
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 am Doxxing was not meant to be the focus. It was meant to be the lens by which the behavior is examined. He is already a public figure with a public known employment. If you all prefer I will take back thought on the matter and cheer on using the power of the social network. Yay!!!
You'd better. We know where you live.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Truth :lol:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well, they don't but I do. I'll expect regular payments delivered to my paypal just as soon as I get around to making one. Feel free to deduct a fair amount to account for undercharge of rent for years though. :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Enough

Post by Enough »

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1286683009026912256
Spoiler:
Mmmmm fighting cancel culture mmmmm free speech culture

Jim Waterson
@jimwaterson
News website for schoolchildren apologises after JK Rowling hired libel lawyers to challenge its article about her views on trans issues. The article asked children to consider if it was possible to enjoy great works of art by “deeply unpleasant people”. https://theguardian.com/society/2020/j

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lol at the ratio on this tweet.

Also some epic replies.

Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 am

I love that she also essentially says that wives and daughters are not human shields for your lack of decency. Own your shitty behavior!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am Lol at the ratio on this tweet.

Also some epic replies.
It's really dumb but that's the point. Why should anyone care about this edgelord?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 am She responded with a long speech about the moment. It actually is a pretty compelling speech and speaks to her communication talents.
Not sure why you say actually as if it was unexpected.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:58 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 am She responded with a long speech about the moment. It actually is a pretty compelling speech and speaks to her communication talents.
Not sure why you say actually as if it was unexpected.
I read the comment more along the line of we expect most of these types of speeches to be grandstanding and worthless, but this one was better than the typical congressional speech.
That's my purse! I don't know you!