Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Amazon TV/Movies

Post by Jeff V »

Only if MS3K-type commentary is welcome.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 am It looks like Amazon just added a Watch Party feature. One person hosts the party (and controls the movie like pausing and starting) and can invite up to 100 people, and they can chat through it.

However:
1. It only works for (some?) movies and tv shows available through Prime, not videos purchased from Amazon or movies from Amazon's free IMDB tv feature.
2. It only works through a desktop browser.
3. Everyone has to be a member of Prime
4. If you own something that's also on Prime, it doesn't look like you get the option (at least, I own Downton Abbey Season 1, which is on prime, and there's no option for me to start a watch party. But I can for other seasons, which I don't own. I have to assume this is a bug.).

OOFS, anyone? :wink:
Sounds like Netflix Party, with a few more peculiarities.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In support of above, a "teaser"

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is apparently from the makers of WESTWORLD (!!).

Hopes rising.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:06 pm This is apparently from the makers of WESTWORLD (!!).

Hopes rising.
Have you seen seasons 2 and 3 of Westworld? :P

Anyway, I am certainly curious but I wouldn't say hopeful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:06 pm This is apparently from the makers of WESTWORLD (!!).

Hopes rising.
Have you seen seasons 2 and 3 of Westworld? :P
Season 1 had a satisfying conclusion so I let it lie.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

15 minute recap of season on of The Boys....in the right damn forum! :)

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

OMG...dying. :lol:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am 15 minute recap of season on of The Boys....in the right damn forum! :)
:lol:
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished “Upload” tonight. Pretty good show that suffers from a serious identity crisis. Is it a comedy? A rom-com? A satire? A crime drama? It touches on every element, but never really commits to any of them and suffers as a result.

Great chemistry from the leads ultimately saves it, but I can’t help but feel it could have been so much better. 5/8 tentacles for Season 1.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed it for the drama and romance. The comedy usually fell flat for me. The satire wavered between flaccid and razor-sharp. I thought it was a fun, short watch.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Upload is easily one of the best sitcoms of 2020 so far, imho. Smart and poignant, but still goofy at times. It takes a stab at the question of what makes us human, but poses the question in a way that makes it clear that technology alone isn’t the only context, in spite of the setting. I never felt it had an identity crisis as it always came at everything with wit and heart enough that it felt sincere and committed.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I watched Upload, I have hopes the second season will be better but I don't think they nailed the premise quite right.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:55 am Upload is easily one of the best sitcoms of 2020 so far, imho. Smart and poignant, but still goofy at times. It takes a stab at the question of what makes us human, but poses the question in a way that makes it clear that technology alone isn’t the only context, in spite of the setting. I never felt it had an identity crisis as it always came at everything with wit and heart enough that it felt sincere and committed.
I just finished it and really enjoyed it. The love story hit all the right notes, the dystopian world was disgusting and upsetting, and the detective story was muddy enough to remain entertaining. I can't wait for season 2.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:38 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:55 am Upload is easily one of the best sitcoms of 2020 so far, imho. Smart and poignant, but still goofy at times. It takes a stab at the question of what makes us human, but poses the question in a way that makes it clear that technology alone isn’t the only context, in spite of the setting. I never felt it had an identity crisis as it always came at everything with wit and heart enough that it felt sincere and committed.
I just finished it and really enjoyed it. The love story hit all the right notes, the dystopian world was disgusting and upsetting, and the detective story was muddy enough to remain entertaining. I can't wait for season 2.
I watched the first episode and haven't had time to go back for more yet. By a strange coincidence, we're also watching The Good Place.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I binged through THE WORLD'S TOUGHEST RACE and enjoyed it. It's good, not great. The biggest problem is that with 66 teams, they really had to spread out their coverage of each team so I never felt you really got a good flavor for the toughness of each leg. However, the teams they did choose to spotlight are pretty interesting and there are some great stories there.

Bear Grylls does his usual thing of talking about how tough the race is while just having gotten 9 hours of sleep and a continental breakfast at the Hilton. Maybe it was just my perception but most of the contestants either ignored him or acted slightly annoyed every time they had to talk to him. :D

In short, it's no Amazing Race, but if you enjoy adventure racing/extreme sports it's a good time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm debating a rewatch of season 1 of The Boys before season 2 premieres on September 4th. I rarely do that.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Jensen Ackles has found his Supernatural follow-up.

The star of the long-running CW series will join the cast of Amazon's The Boys for its third season. The casting reunites him with Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, who's the showrunner of The Boys.

Ackles ... will play Soldier Boy, the original superhero in the world of The Boys. After fighting in World War II, he became the first super celebrity and a mainstay of American culture for decades.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 am I binged through THE WORLD'S TOUGHEST RACE and enjoyed it. It's good, not great. The biggest problem is that with 66 teams, they really had to spread out their coverage of each team so I never felt you really got a good flavor for the toughness of each leg. However, the teams they did choose to spotlight are pretty interesting and there are some great stories there.

Bear Grylls does his usual thing of talking about how tough the race is while just having gotten 9 hours of sleep and a continental breakfast at the Hilton. Maybe it was just my perception but most of the contestants either ignored him or acted slightly annoyed every time they had to talk to him. :D

In short, it's no Amazing Race, but if you enjoy adventure racing/extreme sports it's a good time.
We just binged this over the weekend as well, and +1 to everything you said. With each episode and learning what the next leg of the race entailed I was gobsmacked, several times over the series. I don't want to spoil anything, but it really was amazing to see what they were going through, at the pace the leading teams were doing it and with little to no rest.

It got me going down a bit of an internet rabbit hole looking up some of the contestants. This world of adventure racing was totally new to me so I didn't know anything about these folks. Here is a small sampling:

In 2008, Marshall Ulrich, one of the oldest competitors in this race, completed a 3,063.2-mile run from San Francisco to New York in 52.5 days, equal to 117 marathons, or two marathons plus a 10K each day. :shock:

In 2015, another competitor, James Lawrence, completed 50 triathlons, in 50 days, in 50 different states. That's 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and a full 26.2-mile marathon run every day for 50 days straight.

Unreal.
-something witty-
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

infinitelurker wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm In 2015, another competitor, James Lawrence, completed 50 triathlons, in 50 days, in 50 different states. That's 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and a full 26.2-mile marathon run every day for 50 days straight.
Point of clarification: A triathlon only has to be three events. The distances above represent Ironman-distance triathlons.
He also holds the record for the most half-ironman distance triathlons in one year: 22, in 2011.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

infinitelurker wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 am I binged through THE WORLD'S TOUGHEST RACE and enjoyed it. It's good, not great. The biggest problem is that with 66 teams, they really had to spread out their coverage of each team so I never felt you really got a good flavor for the toughness of each leg. However, the teams they did choose to spotlight are pretty interesting and there are some great stories there.

We just binged this over the weekend as well, and +1 to everything you said. With each episode and learning what the next leg of the race entailed I was gobsmacked, several times over the series. I don't want to spoil anything, but it really was amazing to see what they were going through, at the pace the leading teams were doing it and with little to no rest.

It got me going down a bit of an internet rabbit hole looking up some of the contestants. This world of adventure racing was totally new to me so I didn't know anything about these folks. Here is a small sampling:

In 2008, Marshall Ulrich, one of the oldest competitors in this race, completed a 3,063.2-mile run from San Francisco to New York in 52.5 days, equal to 117 marathons, or two marathons plus a 10K each day. :shock:

In 2015, another competitor, James Lawrence, completed 50 triathlons, in 50 days, in 50 different states. That's 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and a full 26.2-mile marathon run every day for 50 days straight.

Unreal.
A few years ago I read a book by a guy who did 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. I didn't realize what a slacker he was. :D

It's unbelievable what the human body is capable of. Well, some human bodies. My body's super power seems to be how much beer it can hold.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who do Spartan races, and many of them have completed three Trifectas (Sprint, Super, and Beast) in a year. That's nine pretty tough races. And these people are WAY above my fitness level.

But even that still pales in comparison to the level some of these people were at. As one guy states "This is tougher than 10 Iron Mans back to back". Yikes.

I went out on a 2.5 mile run in 85 degree heat after watching a few episodes of this and after dragging myself back home I was like, "Yeah f--- that race." :D
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 amBear Grylls does his usual thing of talking about how tough the race is while just having gotten 9 hours of sleep and a continental breakfast at the Hilton. Maybe it was just my perception but most of the contestants either ignored him or acted slightly annoyed every time they had to talk to him. :D
:lol: So much this. My wife and I have been working through the season and have been laughing every time he shows up along the course. "He's gonna hop in his chopper and zip along to his next uncomfortable interview. Why is he wearing a pack with a machete in it?"

We watched the other races way back when. I'm happy that Amazon brought it out of mothballs.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Biyobi wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:23 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:28 amBear Grylls does his usual thing of talking about how tough the race is while just having gotten 9 hours of sleep and a continental breakfast at the Hilton. Maybe it was just my perception but most of the contestants either ignored him or acted slightly annoyed every time they had to talk to him. :D
:lol: So much this. My wife and I have been working through the season and have been laughing every time he shows up along the course. "He's gonna hop in his chopper and zip along to his next uncomfortable interview. Why is he wearing a pack with a machete in it?"
Likely because whoever puts his name upon their equipment compensates him generously for 'adventurously' hawking their wares.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Goes Wrong Show is really really good. The conceit is they are taping a town putting on a weekly play by the most incompetent troupe ever. Hilarity ensues.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not saying you should watch the John Hurt / Richard Burton 1984 under the present political circumstances, but I am saying it's now available for streaming via Amazon Prime...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Not here, it isn't. Amazon has it listed for the MGM subscription channel, but not for Prime Video.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t realize MGM had a subscription channel.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:37 pm Not here, it isn't. Amazon has it listed for the MGM subscription channel, but not for Prime Video.
Weird. I don't have any MGM subscription, but it shows as an option for me in Prime Video. I've been watching it today.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here in Canada, Amazon is offering a selection of subscription channels through Prime Video|Channels. Some seem to be stand-alone video-on-demand channels while others are essentially the equivalent of cable packages, with live channels as well as on-demand content.

Enlarge Image

The only listing we have for 1984 is under the MGM channel, which costs $3.99/month (with a 30-day free trial).

Enlarge Image

Since Amazon has different licensing agreements in the USA and Canada, it's likely that Amazon has the rights for 1984 there, but MGM has the streaming rights here.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Collider
Titans star Alan Ritchson in set to star in Amazon’s Jack Reacher series based on the badass character from Lee Child’s bestselling series of books, Collider has learned.

Produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television Studios, the series will be written by Nick Santora (Prison Break), who will also executive produce and serve as showrunner under his overall deal with Skydance. Other EPs include Child and Christopher McQuarrie, as well as Don Granger, Scott Sullivan and Marcy Ross, while David Ellison and Dana Goldberg will executive produce for Skydance, whose Carolyn Harris will oversee the series.

Amazon has been developing Jack Reacher for the past year, and the first season will be based on the first Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just started reading the Reacher books, at least what I can get a hold of. The Killing Floor is on hold, apparently 34 people are waiting on 4 copies. But I just finished #2, Die Trying, and at least in this case sequence didn't matter. The next book available is #5, so I'll be bouncing all over the place for awhile.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote:I just started reading the Reacher books, at least what I can get a hold of. The Killing Floor is on hold, apparently 34 people are waiting on 4 copies. But I just finished #2, Die Trying, and at least in this case sequence didn't matter. The next book available is #5, so I'll be bouncing all over the place for awhile.
Book one is a bit important as an event in it is referenced periodically throughout the books. They are fun tho.

This is good casting, even if the Tom Cruise movies are good (esp. the first one), he is not 6'5, 250, and that is kind of important to the character in the books.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched the first three episodes of The Boys today. Just as much twisted, vulgar, insane fun as the first season. Homelander absolutely steals the show again. And the milk... :shudder:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finished season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. It was really good. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this series when I started Season 1, but it proved binge worthy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you get dragged into alternate timeline with Five and Daehawk here the Umbrella Academy academy airs on Amazon? :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Damn. I keep forgetting who streams what.