malchior

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by malchior »

What the hell?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:28 am What the hell?

Probably training and testing. It's a totally safe theater with war-ish activity.

But the data is real.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just read through this run down of the protests downtown last night from Oregon Live. The deployment of federal troops by Trump was clearly an act to inflame the left and distract from the core BLM protest. But what’s going on in Portland right now after midnight is not protest. It’s provocation designed to illicit an armed, violent response from law enforcement. The shit’s gone off the rails.

What I see now has very little to do with BLM. The people shooting lasers at the eyes of law enforcement, throwing fireworks at them, and trying to destroy the federal courthouse are the same group of anarchists that pop up now and again in Portland. These are the assholes who vandalized the Biketown bike sharing stations throughout the city a few years ago because the initiative was sponsored and run by Nike. I still remember walking past one of those stations with the bikes all destroyed and some spraypainted bullshit about corporate greed. These people are idiots. You want to protest Nike for some reason, be my guest, but don’t destroy a freaking bike share station.

Now they want to destroy the federal courthouse. Great. My job takes me there on a regular basis, and there’s actually a lot of good work that gets done in that building in support of civil rights and justice. But because the idiot in chief sent federal troops in to guard it, now you want to burn it down? And in trying to do so night after night, all they’re doing is helping to justify the presence of the troops in the first place.

The scenes playing out in Portland now after midnight worry me. I’m seriously concerned that these violent, chaotic clashes are going to strengthen Trump’s base. This is just catnip to Fox News and their viewers. I know some don’t give a shit because that segment of the populace is lost already, but I’ve never been in that camp.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Kurth wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pmThe scenes playing out in Portland now after midnight worry me. I’m seriously concerned that these violent, chaotic clashes are going to strengthen Trump’s base.
Normally, this would be true. I'm not convinced that it is this time, for 2 reasons.
  1. Unlike most Republican Presidents, Trump is not viewed by anyone as an agent of order. Quite the opposite, actually - he actively runs around putting gasoline on fires and bragging about it. This makes him very popular with the more reactionary right, but it means he has a lot of trouble playing the Law and Order card.
  2. Biden is very much NOT aligning himself with the protesters. He's staying pretty quiet on...well, most things, honestly, but he does NOT support "defunding the police," much less any of the more extreme demands.
I do think that if this keeps up, by the time November rolls around, a lot of people are going to be looking for a stability candidate. I'm not convinced that candidate will be Trump.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:48 pm
Kurth wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pmThe scenes playing out in Portland now after midnight worry me. I’m seriously concerned that these violent, chaotic clashes are going to strengthen Trump’s base.
Normally, this would be true. I'm not convinced that it is this time, for 2 reasons.
  1. Unlike most Republican Presidents, Trump is not viewed by anyone as an agent of order.
More like Flaw and Border.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
What I see now has very little to do with BLM. The people shooting lasers at the eyes of law enforcement, throwing fireworks at them, and trying to destroy the federal courthouse are the same group of anarchists that pop up now and again in Portland.
The group that attacked the police at the Columbus statue here were highly organized. Sharpened PVC pipes concealed in banners, bags of frozen water bottles and soda cans, explosives. They peeled off to change clothes and arm up, under "cover" of umbrellas and banners, and attacked a bunch of bike cops at a post that had been peaceably dealing with non-violent protestors for several days.

I'm not sure who and why but it has been highly coordinated and organized.

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:33 pmI'm not sure who and why but it has been highly coordinated and organized.
It can only be antifa! [/s] Seriously speaking there have definitely been odd - actions - since Minneapolis began. The suspicious man who broke the windows / possibly burned down the Autozone across from the 3rd precinct is a good example. It is just too easy to fly under the radar and cause mayhem. So people are taking their shots. Unfortunately we don't have a good idea about the who and why. And we shouldn't trust any threat information being released by the Federal government.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:33 pmI'm not sure who and why but it has been highly coordinated and organized.
It can only be antifa! [/s] Seriously speaking there have definitely been odd - actions - since Minneapolis began. The suspicious man who broke the windows / possibly burned down the Autozone across from the 3rd precinct is a good example. It is just too easy to fly under the radar and cause mayhem. So people are taking their shots. Unfortunately we don't have a good idea about the who and why. And we shouldn't trust any threat information being released by the Federal government.
I mean I'm not sure who and why here. In Portland it could be someone else. But at least at the local level in most of these events there is some fairly sophisticated coordination amongst the agitators.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:56 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 pm
I mean I'm not sure who and why here. In Portland it could be someone else. But at least at the local level in most of these events there is some fairly sophisticated coordination amongst the agitators.
RIght. The problem is that there are so many possibilities and we (as in the public at least) are in the dark. I was talking this with a NY/NJ PA cop because they saw coordinated action in NY too. The Feds kept telling them it was ANTIFA! but showed absolutely no evidence. Pat explanation. No evidence? Red flags IMO.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm Just read through this run down of the protests downtown last night from Oregon Live. The deployment of federal troops by Trump was clearly an act to inflame the left and distract from the core BLM protest. But what’s going on in Portland right now after midnight is not protest. It’s provocation designed to illicit an armed, violent response from law enforcement. The shit’s gone off the rails.

What I see now has very little to do with BLM. The people shooting lasers at the eyes of law enforcement, throwing fireworks at them, and trying to destroy the federal courthouse are the same group of anarchists that pop up now and again in Portland. These are the assholes who vandalized the Biketown bike sharing stations throughout the city a few years ago because the initiative was sponsored and run by Nike. I still remember walking past one of those stations with the bikes all destroyed and some spraypainted bullshit about corporate greed. These people are idiots. You want to protest Nike for some reason, be my guest, but don’t destroy a freaking bike share station.

Now they want to destroy the federal courthouse. Great. My job takes me there on a regular basis, and there’s actually a lot of good work that gets done in that building in support of civil rights and justice. But because the idiot in chief sent federal troops in to guard it, now you want to burn it down? And in trying to do so night after night, all they’re doing is helping to justify the presence of the troops in the first place.

The scenes playing out in Portland now after midnight worry me. I’m seriously concerned that these violent, chaotic clashes are going to strengthen Trump’s base. This is just catnip to Fox News and their viewers. I know some don’t give a shit because that segment of the populace is lost already, but I’ve never been in that camp.
I meant to respond to this. I share some of the concern but I am thinking about it from a different angle. I'm not too worried about Trump benefiting because in the end it is a wash to lean negative for Trump - at least for now. What worries me is that the big blow out in June showed signs that Galtung's predictions about the United States may prove prescient.

This situation is trending towards more systemic danger especially if you subscribe to Galtung's theories about the origins of conflict. What we are seeing are manifest levels of racism/discrimination *and* inequality which are both ingredients for wide-spread conflict. The pandemic has especially increased the pressure on the latter. That could be a significant factor behind why we've seen an uptick in violence in big cities beyond the protests. Let's say Congress keeps dicking around and unemployment support and eviction support erodes. Then that inequality will continue to build up an un-burnt fuel reserve for further conflict. All it might take is a spark from protests against the manifest level of racism/discrimination to start a big fire here.

If we are going to make it through this we need to get Biden into office and he will have to spend his time trying to figure out a way to start a process of 'conflict resolution' to bring the tenuous political situation under control. And he'll be wrestling with an out of control pandemic most likely and widespread economic disarray. It's beyond a bad opening hand.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:30 am

If we are going to make it through this we need to get Biden into office and he will have to spend his time trying to figure out a way to start a process of 'conflict resolution' to bring the tenuous political situation under control. And he'll be wrestling with an out of control pandemic most likely and widespread economic disarray. It's beyond a bad opening hand.
I hate this thought, but it's probably best to let the corruption and misdeeds of the past 4 years go and just focus on fixing the nation and mending bridges. Anything less would just further conflict. Reconciliation is a top priority.

Undoubtedly Trump will/has figured this out and will do his best to leave as many fires burning as possible.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:50 am

I hate this thought, but it's probably best to let the corruption and misdeeds of the past 4 years go and just focus on fixing the nation and mending bridges. Anything less would just further conflict. Reconciliation is a top priority.
That's the rub. Can you have reconciliation if you let it all go? He'll have the left baying for blood and might create his own 'tea party'. It is going to be a hell of a line to walk.

Undoubtedly Trump will/has figured this out and will do his best to leave as many fires burning as possible.
I don't know if he figured anything out but he'll definitely be leaving many fires behind. :?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tend to agree, with the caveat that a significant part of a Biden administration will be to put mechanisms in place that formalize many of the "unwritten rules" for governance that have been a guiding component of the US government, but have been completely disregarded by Trump. Ensure that the abuses of power that he and his swamp have thrived on aren't able to be exploited again, by either side.

It's a pipe dream, I'm sure, but one that would go a long ways towards repairing the damage.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Removed due to photoshopping in the picture.
Last edited by pr0ner on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Theoretically, a doctor has said that the guy with the red hat is a paragon of health. I feel a lot better about myself now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I never really had an opinion of Bret Favre prior to seeing that picture. Can't say the same thing now.
FTE
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

He was too busy getting his nipples lubed to deal with that nonsense.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am Theoretically, a doctor has said that the guy with the red hat is a paragon of health. I feel a lot better about myself now.
I don't know about you, but I'm certainly looking forward to participating in the Olympics whenever they resume.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

His mindflayer tentacles are showing.

Enlarge Image

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jesus he couldn't look any worse in that photo. :lol: And f anyone that goes out golfing with that sack of shit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:26 am

I tend to agree, with the caveat that a significant part of a Biden administration will be to put mechanisms in place that formalize many of the "unwritten rules" for governance that have been a guiding component of the US government, but have been completely disregarded by Trump. Ensure that the abuses of power that he and his swamp have thrived on aren't able to be exploited again, by either side.
This is constitutionally and practically difficult and maybe impossible. Any mechanism that they can they put in place *in the executive* can be rolled back. Say they went the legislative route then they have to win the Senate and likely kill the filibuster outright. Even then, a future executive can just pretty much challenge it by just flouting the law and let the slowness of the court system work for them like they did with Trump's tax returns. This is the aspect we learned a lot via Trump; we now have proof that the system (maybe fatally) depends heavily on norms that can't be fixed in practicality. That said, they can do the equivalent of boarding up the windows but systematic change is going to take a lot of work. More than we seem capable of at least anymore.
It's a pipe dream, I'm sure, but one that would go a long ways towards repairing the damage.
This I agree. A cosmetic effort might go far but the risk probably will remain with us.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 am I never really had an opinion of Bret Favre prior to seeing that picture. Can't say the same thing now.
I've always disliked Favre for a multitude of reasons nearly as long as the JeffV hate list. This just adds to it. Which is good because it has been losing ground to Jeff's list for years and he hates that.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That "China virus" shit infuriates me.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:26 am
Oh good grief... nevermind the neck in that photo, I can't unsee

Spoilered for sanity/good taste
Spoiler:
Trump nipple sweat/lactating??
Holman

Post by Holman »

The nipple sweat was photoshopped. Someone called out Rex Chapman (above) on it, and they posted the original photo.

Our side should absolutely not indulge in that shit. It justifies the opposition.

And anyway, if Trump were chest-sweating it would be under his man boobs, not in their center.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:38 pm Our side should absolutely not indulge in that shit. It justifies the opposition.
So much this.

Reading through responses, some are saying "the original" is actually the one cleaned up. I got nuthin' I don't know how you'd find what which is which.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ack, I totally didn't even see that when I first saw the tweet from Chapman and posted it. My bad.
Hodor.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

That is terrible. Damn internet.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 amThis is constitutionally and practically difficult and maybe impossible.
Agreed. I would only add that even IF you could overcome the problems you mention, (and I'm not convinced that you could) you would end up with a President so hobbled that he would be unable to properly exercise power in the case of a real emergency - leaving the country the unenviable choice between a paralyzed executive or an emerging dictator. (history suggests the latter)

The solution here is actually fairly simple - don't elect reality television stars. Running the most powerful country in the world is a terrible responsibility. Treat it appropriately.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:36 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 amThis is constitutionally and practically difficult and maybe impossible.
Agreed. I would only add that even IF you could overcome the problems you mention, (and I'm not convinced that you could) you would end up with a President so hobbled that he would be unable to properly exercise power in the case of a real emergency - leaving the country the unenviable choice between a paralyzed executive or an emerging dictator. (history suggests the latter)

The solution here is actually fairly simple - don't elect reality television stars. Running the most powerful country in the world is a terrible responsibility. Treat it appropriately.
You would have to either raise the bar on who could run for president, or raise the bar on who can vote. Either option come with significant risk of excluding minorities and poor. (not that a poor person could realistically run for president now, but I am just saying)

but hey, we got what we wanted right? the uneducated masses voted a non-politician into office.

there is a third option. increase funding for schools and teachers so the upcoming batch of kids can learn about social studies and actually give a damn about voting and make efforts to learn about issues and candidate before voting. but what do I know.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 pm
there is a third option. increase funding for schools and teachers so the upcoming batch of kids can learn about social studies and actually give a damn about voting and make efforts to learn about issues and candidate before voting. but what do I know.
I hear Tom Cotton has that angle covered.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump invited himself to throw out a pitch at Yankee Stadium. Also evidence he is losing it.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 pm You would have to either raise the bar on who could run for president, or raise the bar on who can vote.
Maybe. Maybe not. I maintain that the biggest reason that we have not seen a repeat of the 9-11 attacks is NOT the TSA, which is mostly security theater. It is the fact that it would not work. If you tried to hijack a plane today, the passengers would swarm you. Nobody is going to take the chance of a "peaceful hijacking" after what we've seen.

I am deeply hopeful that after seeing what havoc a disinterested fool can wreck upon the nation if you put him in charge, Americans will wisen up a bit. Leave running the country to the professionals....it's actually VERY hard work. This sort of inoculation won't last forever, of course, but with luck it will last a good long time.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

There was one problem: Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials & White House staff.
Just how many times during this presidency has Trump completely invented something. Not just lies, but absolute fabrication. Often entirely disprovable and typically self-aggrandizing. I knew a kid back in high school that was a pathological liar; he'd lie about the color of the sky if you weren't there to see it first. I'm fairly sure he was more honest than Trump.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:25 am
There was one problem: Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials & White House staff.
Just how many times during this presidency has Trump completely invented something. Not just lies, but absolute fabrication. Often entirely disprovable and typically self-aggrandizing. I knew a kid back in high school that was a pathological liar; he'd lie about the color of the sky if you weren't there to see it first. I'm fairly sure he was more honest than Trump.
I knew a guy like that from before my undergrad days. Just crazy lies but they made me laugh and he never hurt nobody, so all was good. I had connected with him again on FB. We were in touch until 2017 as he became vocal nonsensical Trump supporter and bible thumping came out of nowhere and he got turned off in my second culling.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

But that loser Dr Fauci got to throw out a pitch, so DJT had to have been invited, too. Believe me. The best pitches.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm watching this Barr hearing live. Nadler hauling Barr in is probably going to be seen as a mistake. What a bungler he is. His tone towards Barr makes this look all politicized and Barr is going to take advantage of it. Barr is working a clearly coordinated script with the GOP members. I hope this gets better but...ugh...this is going badly.

Edit: This is really going badly. Barr is outmatching them so far. It is Democrats essentially chastising Barr and Republicans serving him up soft balls to promote the President's message. Hopefully the Lincoln Project can salvage this shit show.

This exchange captures it well.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Preet gets it right. Ive turned it off. The Republicans might be evil but the Demcrats are hopeless.

Edit: The professional questioners (ex-prosecutors) are all tearing their hair out right now wondering how they can't ask him direct questions instead of just yelling at him.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

We should be seeing the complete health-care package that he announced in the Chris Wallace interview would be ready in two weeks any day now.

I'm really disappointed nobody has asked him about that.